The Makeup Fairy Returns!

My skin is sensitive and seems to be getting drier and drier:(

(I did just turn 41 in Jan, but I do have very good skin...my profile pic is me, but I am blushing that is why I am so pink)

I use Estee Lauder soft clean moisture rich foaming facial cleanser every day for Dry Skin.

I sometimes use EL DayWear advanced multi Protection anti-oxidant cream spf 15 and sometimes use my EL advanced night repair by EL...love that stuff but it is so expensive!

Once every month or every other month I use Olays' Microdermabrasion treatment and I can tell a difference when I do.

I know I started up my soda habit again and I need to stop that and drink more water like I was and sleep better, working on both.

As far as makeup, I wear a light foundation with SPF...I am very pale with freckles and rosy cheeks. The only other makeup I wear would be chapstick or gloss or stick depending on where I am going....light eyeliner, mascara and that is it.

I think because my skin is getting older...it might not be "turning over" for lack of a better word like younger skin does....but I have dry, sensitive skin...so I have to be careful what I use that I do not irritate it or dry it out more....

Any advice?

Thanks! :rose::rose::rose:

Absolutely!

Aging skin can really have a detrimental affect on a woman's psychology. Estrogen declines slightly soon after puberty is over, and then even more rapidly once we hit about 35, finally hiting it's peak of reduction at around age 50. Declining estrogen affects the skin in several ways, elasticity, pigmentation and vascularity. Skin also ages by changing thickness, becoming very thin in some areas and thicker in others, wrinkling, and reducing it's ability to retain moisture which can exacerbate wrinkles.

The way Estrogen affects our skin isn't entirely understood by scientists, but we -do- know that it controls Collagen production. Collagen, along with Elastin, is responsible for a good deal of the "dry weight" of our bodies, and gives our bodies structural integrity. That's why, when it's production sharply declines as we age, we seem to start to "fall apart"!

Along with following the steps you already know you need to take (Drink more water, get more sleep) I strongly suggest Hormone Replacement Therapy for your concerns. One of the very -best- ways to prevent the outward side effects of hormonal aging is using a topical Estrogen Cream. They're available by prescription and OTC but the strongest medicines will only be available to you through a doctor. And over the counter natural creams may have fewer quality controls because their products are frequently not subject to evaluation by safety agencies, such as the US Food and Drug Administration.

It’s also important not to see an estrogen cream as simply a benign lotion. These creams are medicines that can impact other medications taken. People should discuss with their physicians the list of drugs they already take before using even an over the counter estrogen cream. Those at risk for cancers or heart disease should also plan to discuss their conditions with doctors before using one of these creams, to determine if benefits outweigh potential risks.

However, possible risks aside, the benefits are outstanding and marked. You could see a -significant- reduction in wrinkles, increased skin elasticity, more even pigmentation with that healthy post-vacation "glow". You'll also probably notice your skin retains water easier and for a much longer time. There are other benefits as well, not just cosmetic, such as a "lift" in your mood!

There is one thing I'd like to address before you take the jump to HRT, though. You must WASH YOUR HANDS after applying the topical medicine, because anything and anyone you touch afterward can absorb the medicine and be affected by it, including your pets! Article about that below:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/25/when-hormone-creams-expose-others-to-risks/

In short, talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of HRT. A light Estrogen cream can really help address your concerns much better than any lotion or potion over the counter can. And the best results for these kinds of concerns often comes straight from a doctor!

It wasn't a good style when the Egyptians did it, it's no better now, I don't care who brought it back.

Oh oh! I know this :D And I hope Satin won't mind a brief history lesson :eek:

One of the reasons Egyptians wore such heavy make-up wasn't for the perceived aesthetics but rather it had a practical purpose as well as religious. The eye makeup, which by the way both men and women wore, contained a number of ingredients such as fat, kohl and henna (plus lead, copper, crushed gems and soot, stuff you don't want on your skin), softened the skin and protected it from the sun and sand, and kept insects away

Religiously, Egyptians believed that putting on makeup with not only ward off evil (and if you have ever got a grain of sand in your eye, then you could have very well believed that it's evil), but also enhanced one's protection. The Eye of Horus, for example, was a popular motif of protection in this life and in the next, and therefore by emphasising the eyes, Egyptians could emulate the protective properties of the amulet.

Also, the richer the Egyptian, the more make-up s/he wore.

/end of history lesson.

Absolutely!

Aging skin can really have a detrimental affect on a woman's psychology. Estrogen declines slightly soon after puberty is over, and then even more rapidly once we hit about 35, finally hiting it's peak of reduction at around age 50. Declining estrogen affects the skin in several ways, elasticity, pigmentation and vascularity. Skin also ages by changing thickness, becoming very thin in some areas and thicker in others, wrinkling, and reducing it's ability to retain moisture which can exacerbate wrinkles.

The way Estrogen affects our skin isn't entirely understood by scientists, but we -do- know that it controls Collagen production. Collagen, along with Elastin, is responsible for a good deal of the "dry weight" of our bodies, and gives our bodies structural integrity. That's why, when it's production sharply declines as we age, we seem to start to "fall apart"!

Along with following the steps you already know you need to take (Drink more water, get more sleep) I strongly suggest Hormone Replacement Therapy for your concerns. One of the very -best- ways to prevent the outward side effects of hormonal aging is using a topical Estrogen Cream. They're available by prescription and OTC but the strongest medicines will only be available to you through a doctor. And over the counter natural creams may have fewer quality controls because their products are frequently not subject to evaluation by safety agencies, such as the US Food and Drug Administration.

It’s also important not to see an estrogen cream as simply a benign lotion. These creams are medicines that can impact other medications taken. People should discuss with their physicians the list of drugs they already take before using even an over the counter estrogen cream. Those at risk for cancers or heart disease should also plan to discuss their conditions with doctors before using one of these creams, to determine if benefits outweigh potential risks.

However, possible risks aside, the benefits are outstanding and marked. You could see a -significant- reduction in wrinkles, increased skin elasticity, more even pigmentation with that healthy post-vacation "glow". You'll also probably notice your skin retains water easier and for a much longer time. There are other benefits as well, not just cosmetic, such as a "lift" in your mood!

There is one thing I'd like to address before you take the jump to HRT, though. You must WASH YOUR HANDS after applying the topical medicine, because anything and anyone you touch afterward can absorb the medicine and be affected by it, including your pets! Article about that below:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/25/when-hormone-creams-expose-others-to-risks/

In short, talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of HRT. A light Estrogen cream can really help address your concerns much better than any lotion or potion over the counter can. And the best results for these kinds of concerns often comes straight from a doctor!

I have no wrinkles ;)

People think I am in my late twenties or early thirties.

However, I will mention it to my doctor. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate you time and knowledge.:rose:

Dear Make-Up Fairy,

Can we talk about discontinued products?

My favourite lip-colour has been discontinued (boo-urns), and now that I found a suitable replacement - not the same, a bit lighter with the pigments, but very very good and I like it - I've heard that it might be discontinued. Sigh.:mad:

Same goes for my very favourite eyeshadows. I finished the pots, luckily I bought another one that should last me another year and after that, I'm shit out of luck of finding one that is similar. And this one took me years to find, and a while to perfect that look that was at once understated, classic and yet had an element of elegant whimsy and some ethereal sensuality (in other words, a look that was me). After this one is gone, I can start all over.:mad: :mad:

And we will not go with my favourite moisturiser. It was perfect - people commented on how wonderful my skin looked and asked me what type of foundation I was wearing (I wasn't), the reviews were wonderful, there was a fan club and now it's gone, much to the chagrin to many. I'm using something else that was recommended to me that is similar for the same type of skin, but it's not quite the same. :mad::mad::mad:

So my question is: what gives? And how can I avoid this in the future and/or find something comparable? I'm not in the mood to spend money on test driving make-up that I'll use maybe three times. It's wasting time, money and products, which I loathe, so when I find something I like, I really use it. Is there a surefire way to find something similar?

And thank you for letting me vent! :rose::kiss:

Last edited:
Dear Make-Up Fairy,

Can we talk about discontinued products?

My favourite lip-colour has been discontinued (boo-urns), and now that I found a suitable replacement - not the same, a bit lighter with the pigments, but very very good and I like it - I've heard that it might be discontinued. Sigh.:mad:

Same goes for my very favourite eyeshadows. I finished the pots, luckily I bought another one that should last me another year and after that, I'm shit out of luck of finding one that is similar. And this one took me years to find, and a while to perfect that look that was at once understated, classic and yet had an element of elegant whimsy and some ethereal sensuality (in other words, a look that was me). After this one is gone, I can start all over.:mad: :mad:

And we will not go with my favourite moisturiser. It was perfect - people commented on how wonderful my skin looked and asked me what type of foundation I was wearing (I wasn't), the reviews were wonderful, there was a fan club and now it's gone, much to the chagrin to many. I'm using something else that was recommended to me that is similar for the same type of skin, but it's not quite the same. :mad::mad::mad:

So my question is: what gives? And how can I avoid this in the future and/or find something comparable? I'm not in the mood to spend money on test driving make-up that I'll use maybe three times. It's wasting time, money and products, which I loathe, so when I find something I like, I really use it. Is there a surefire way to find something similar?

And thank you for letting me vent! :rose::kiss:

To be honest with you sweetheart, I don't really know why companies discontinue products. I feel like it's possible, sometimes, the product just didn't sell well enough for them to turn enough profit to continue it, or the company wants to stay "fresh" and new, or another possibility is that they just want to move in different directions to constantly bring new consumers to their base.

I did find this for you: http://www.discontinuedcosmetics.net/

Apparently this is a website where you can look for all your favorite discontinued products.

I really hope this helps you out. :heart:

I have just one work for everyone!

MAC​

You don't need anything else!:heart:

Call me a cheapskate, but that's more than I want to spend on makeup. $30.00 on foundation? I don't think so. That'll buy at least a couple of pairs of jeans for my kids.

But....to each her own! :D

Call me a cheapskate, but that's more than I want to spend on makeup. $30.00 on foundation? I don't think so. That'll buy at least a couple of pairs of jeans for my kids.

But....to each her own! :D

I agree. That's why I love brands like ELF. Not only can I get mineral makeup comparable to Bareminerals, but I can pay less than half the price for it. That's what I call smart shopping!

I have a question.

I'm a guy who is looking for something new to wash my face with.
I use regular Dove soap and have also tried Nivea For Men.
I find in the winter my face is dry the and the rest of the time my nose is oily.

I only use soap with no perfume, scent.

Beautiful people use MAC

Before I found MAC I tried many things including ELF. ELF is cheap and looks cheap on your face. You can see and feel the quality. Elf makes your face look clumpy and separates on your face half way through the day.

Years ago when I saw ELF for 1.00, I thought to my self this is to good to be true, well I was right. It looks like shit. Stop experimenting with all different kinds of products out there, based on price trying to get quality. What a waste of money on unused product.:mad:

When you buy eye shadow from the store pre-packaged on a color pallet in different shades. All the different sades of colors go on your eye looking the SAME color, and it doesn't last all day. The color you see in the MAC pot is the exact color you will see on your eyes (No fading). They have very bold colors that look sharp, I have never found any colors that compare. OMG! I have created the most amazing bold looks.

The first time I went to a MAC store they sat me down and gave me a complete make over. They showed me how to apply everything to look my best. Every time I feel I need a new look, I go back in and they work with me to create something new. Usually for a new look I buy 1 or 2 shadows. Wow 30.00 that's it! (If you have a problem spending 30.00 on your self every 3 months for a new look, you shouldn't wear makeup at all). Plus, that's what are men are for. To take care of us in the bedroom and make us look pretty lol.

Now don't get me wrong' I'm not a stay at home mom/ housewife. I work for a living and I have 3 kids and my man has 3 kids. So I'm a very busy lady on a budget! But there is something in this world the people will pay less for because quality doesn't matter, and there are somethings in this world that people will pay money for to get the best. MAC is something I will pay money for.

Yes the eye shadows are 15.00, I thought I was going to die when I saw the price. So I only bought 2. Slowly through out the last 3 years I have accumulation all the Mac I need. I still have the original pots I purchased, they last a long time. Take your time don't buy it all at one time.

And talking about foundation, tons of women talk about not being about to find something that covers and looks light on the skin. I know, I was one of those women. I found this with MAC. They match the color for you! It is so worth the price to look and feel great. The funny part is, I go through 1 thing of foundation a year!!!! So yes I will pay 30.00 for foundation and 25.00 for powder, for the whole year. I use to spend way more then 55.00 on multiple foundations trying to find my shade. I ended up with a ton of bottles I cant even use.

I'm not rich, I love deals so when I cant pay the MAC price...I look for it on ebay!

To look my best, I use the Best! Any real Makeup artist knows this and will support MAC over anything else!

Ladies Google MAC. MAC is used for all runways, photo shoots, events, and everyday wear by people that get paid millions for being the best in the beauty business. You cant get better than MAC!!!

To be honest with you sweetheart, I don't really know why companies discontinue products. I feel like it's possible, sometimes, the product just didn't sell well enough for them to turn enough profit to continue it, or the company wants to stay "fresh" and new, or another possibility is that they just want to move in different directions to constantly bring new consumers to their base.

I did find this for you: http://www.discontinuedcosmetics.net/

Apparently this is a website where you can look for all your favorite discontinued products.

I really hope this helps you out. :heart:

I was hoping for some magical solution, or words or something that will have all of my fave discontinued products waiting in stock (free too! :D) for me :eek:.

Thank you for the link, though and for your thoughts. As soon as I have a more stable internet connection, I will definitely go shopping! Thank you :rose:

Before I found MAC I tried many things including ELF. ELF is cheap and looks cheap on your face. You can see and feel the quality. Elf makes your face look clumpy and separates on your face half way through the day.

Years ago when I saw ELF for 1.00, I thought to my self this is to good to be true, well I was right. It looks like shit. Stop experimenting with all different kinds of products out there, based on price trying to get quality. What a waste of money on unused product.:mad:

When you buy eye shadow from the store pre-packaged on a color pallet in different shades. All the different sades of colors go on your eye looking the SAME color, and it doesn't last all day. The color you see in the MAC pot is the exact color you will see on your eyes (No fading). They have very bold colors that look sharp, I have never found any colors that compare. OMG! I have created the most amazing bold looks.

The first time I went to a MAC store they sat me down and gave me a complete make over. They showed me how to apply everything to look my best. Every time I feel I need a new look, I go back in and they work with me to create something new. Usually for a new look I buy 1 or 2 shadows. Wow 30.00 that's it! (If you have a problem spending 30.00 on your self every 3 months for a new look, you shouldn't wear makeup at all). Plus, that's what are men are for. To take care of us in the bedroom and make us look pretty lol.

Now don't get me wrong' I'm not a stay at home mom/ housewife. I work for a living and I have 3 kids and my man has 3 kids. So I'm a very busy lady on a budget! But there is something in this world the people will pay less for because quality doesn't matter, and there are somethings in this world that people will pay money for to get the best. MAC is something I will pay money for.

Yes the eye shadows are 15.00, I thought I was going to die when I saw the price. So I only bought 2. Slowly through out the last 3 years I have accumulation all the Mac I need. I still have the original pots I purchased, they last a long time. Take your time don't buy it all at one time.

And talking about foundation, tons of women talk about not being about to find something that covers and looks light on the skin. I know, I was one of those women. I found this with MAC. They match the color for you! It is so worth the price to look and feel great. The funny part is, I go through 1 thing of foundation a year!!!! So yes I will pay 30.00 for foundation and 25.00 for powder, for the whole year. I use to spend way more then 55.00 on multiple foundations trying to find my shade. I ended up with a ton of bottles I cant even use.

I'm not rich, I love deals so when I cant pay the MAC price...I look for it on ebay!

To look my best, I use the Best! Any real Makeup artist knows this and will support MAC over anything else!

Ladies Google MAC. MAC is used for all runways, photo shoots, events, and everyday wear by people that get paid millions for being the best in the beauty business. You cant get better than MAC!!!
For what it's worth, MAC foundation and blushes often gives me breakouts. Not sexy at all. When I looked at their ingredients for their blushes, for example, the first listed is talc, which can clog up the skin.

And also for what it's worth, not all make-up artists use or particularly like MAC. I've known quite a few who actually avoids MAC, because of its temperamental nature, and because you often pay through the nose for the name. Do a cross-comparison of the ingredients and you find that it's often the same with lower-cost brand names.

MAC is used on runways, photo shoots (particularly a few years ago, as they were one of the first companies to cater for wide-range of skin-tone and skin-colour) - so are a slew of of other products, quite a few of them of the drug-store variety. See, the thing is, each and every make-up artist, unless s/he is hired by the brand, has a slew of products at their disposal. Through years of trial and error, they have amassed an arsenal of products that works for them and for their clients' individual needs. The truth is, beautiful people - and I've worked with many of them - use all sorts of products, some of them extremely expensive, and some of them purchased at the dollar store.

Also, your assumptions that women who are stay-at-home Moms a) do not work and b) have a greater income at their disposal are patently false. Many have severely sacrificed luxuries in order to stay home with their kids or will budget for the few luxuries that they consider as important. For you, it's make-up. For others, it might be a monthly pedicure. The point is, you cannot assume nor declare that as you spend that money, a SAHM should be able to as well. You do not know their financial situation or the reasons that they are staying at home - it's none of any of our business: that's the beauty of feminism. It allows women and men the choice to choose.

It's one thing to be brand-loyal. I know that I am and will extol its virtues, but I will not say it's the only brand worth buying, because it's not. It's another to claim that someone who cannot afford 30$ worth of make-up shouldn't be wearing make-up is extremely extreme, and in my opinion, classist. If a woman, or a man for that matter, cannot afford to pay 60 on makeup, then why should s/he be prohibited from wearing something that suits them, makes them feel good, and looks good?

I don't mean to come off as harsh, and if I did, I apologise. I just happen to know and highly respect many of the Ladies here and consider them as part of my pride, and that post seemed to be a little on the aggressive side. I also wanted to point out the realities of many, as well as to let you know that in my personal opinion and experience, and I do have ample, MAC, which is a good product, is not always all that it's cracked up to be.

:rose:

I don't like MAC myself...not my style, to each his own.

I use Maybelline Instant Age Rewind foundation and love it, it also has sunscreen in it. I think it is maybe seven or eight bucks a bottle. I also use their Great Lash mascara and it has won several rewards as a great mascara, maybe four bucks?

I do use a Estee Lauder eye brow pencil, but it came with a set at Christmas one time, lol but I think I use Maybelline for that too.

Only other thing I wear is either chapstick--Green Apple or Cherry, :p or lip gloss, currently NYC's liquid lipshine in Fashion Avenue Fuschia.

Just because MAC works for you does not mean it works for everyone. I prefer Bobbly Brown or EL in that price range.

Now skin care, I use EL...and it works great....luckily my hubby does not know how expensive it is, lol :D

SD is offering advice based on her extensive knowledge, I do not see anywhere were she says that her word is law.:rose:

I was hoping for some magical solution, or words or something that will have all of my fave discontinued products waiting in stock (free too! :D) for me :eek:.

Thank you for the link, though and for your thoughts. As soon as I have a more stable internet connection, I will definitely go shopping! Thank you :rose:

For what it's worth, MAC foundation and blushes often gives me breakouts. Not sexy at all. When I looked at their ingredients for their blushes, for example, the first listed is talc, which can clog up the skin.

And also for what it's worth, not all make-up artists use or particularly like MAC. I've known quite a few who actually avoids MAC, because of its temperamental nature, and because you often pay through the nose for the name. Do a cross-comparison of the ingredients and you find that it's often the same with lower-cost brand names.

MAC is used on runways, photo shoots (particularly a few years ago, as they were one of the first companies to cater for wide-range of skin-tone and skin-colour) - so are a slew of of other products, quite a few of them of the drug-store variety. See, the thing is, each and every make-up artist, unless s/he is hired by the brand, has a slew of products at their disposal. Through years of trial and error, they have amassed an arsenal of products that works for them and for their clients' individual needs. The truth is, beautiful people - and I've worked with many of them - use all sorts of products, some of them extremely expensive, and some of them purchased at the dollar store.

Also, your assumptions that women who are stay-at-home Moms a) do not work and b) have a greater income at their disposal are patently false. Many have severely sacrificed luxuries in order to stay home with their kids or will budget for the few luxuries that they consider as important. For you, it's make-up. For others, it might be a monthly pedicure. The point is, you cannot assume nor declare that as you spend that money, a SAHM should be able to as well. You do not know their financial situation or the reasons that they are staying at home - it's none of any of our business: that's the beauty of feminism. It allows women and men the choice to choose.

It's one thing to be brand-loyal. I know that I am and will extol its virtues, but I will not say it's the only brand worth buying, because it's not. It's another to claim that someone who cannot afford 30$ worth of make-up shouldn't be wearing make-up is extremely extreme, and in my opinion, classist. If a woman, or a man for that matter, cannot afford to pay 60 on makeup, then why should s/he be prohibited from wearing something that suits them, makes them feel good, and looks good?

I don't mean to come off as harsh, and if I did, I apologise. I just happen to know and highly respect many of the Ladies here and consider them as part of my pride, and that post seemed to be a little on the aggressive side. I also wanted to point out the realities of many, as well as to let you know that in my personal opinion and experience, and I do have ample, MAC, which is a good product, is not always all that it's cracked up to be.

:rose:

Excellent points, fb. :)

I splurge on facial care, way more important than makeup in my book, I wear very little makeup and I also splurge on mani/pedis....I tell my hubby, I ever win a big enough lottery I am having spa pedi and manis with parrifin dips every day for life, lol....along with facials and massages!!!:D

And designer perfume....I love designer perfume...you REALLY can tell the difference between quality and quantity in this department. MHO

I once tried my SIL's MAC eyeshadow (it was brand new pot and I used a brand new applicator, so no germ cross contamination issues there), and honestly - I wasn't impressed with it. It didn't last any longer than my usual drug-store Revlon.

A higher price tag is not always indicative of quality, so I think it pays to do your research. I'm with Serene in that I prefer to spend more on skin care than I do on makeup. So I made an appointment with my dermatologist and was bracing myself for very expensive and exclusive product recommendations. Interestingly, he recommended Olay, Neutragena and Roc, all of which can be found at the local drugstore. When I expressed my surprise, he said that all three companies usually have the science to back their claims and that while I could spend more on other products, it was unnecessary.

FB - as usual, you make excellent points. I'll outright admit that I could spend quite a bit more on MANY things I buy, but I chose not to. We've always lived somewhat below our means to begin with and it's allowed us to build up our savings for "just in case". And when my husband was laid off, that padding is what saved our asses. MY preference is to spend what discretionary income we select on things that benefit/enhance our family. Someone else may have different priorities and far be it from me to pass judgement on their choices. If that knocks me out of the "beautiful" people category, so be it. ;):D

I have a question.

I'm a guy who is looking for something new to wash my face with.
I use regular Dove soap and have also tried Nivea For Men.
I find in the winter my face is dry the and the rest of the time my nose is oily.

I only use soap with no perfume, scent.

Before I give you some advice, I have a few questions for you...What are you currently using right now as your skin care routine, and do you moisturize. Also, why are you looking for something new? Are you dissatisfied with your current routine, or are you noticing your skin changing with age and want something to help keep you looking young?

Not all Elf products are "cheap" and look "cheap". Much like other brands, oh, say like MAC, some products are good, and some are bad. ELF's mineral foundation I am HIGHLY impressed with, as well as many other products such as their primers and blotting papers to name a few. Not all ELF products are one dollar, as well.

You say that "all we need is MAC" and I highly disagree. I also disagree that you say that I should stop looking for good quality items for low prices, because it's a waste of product.

Let me tell you why I know these things. I am an ex model/actor. I was a co-host on a television show, did print/catalog work and runway shows, so I think I out of all of us here have a damn good basis of experience in what products are good, what aren't, and WHY women SHOULD experiment with different products and look for quality for prices they can afford. I take my experience and help women like yourself find products they can love and not spend a fortune on them IF THEY DON'T WANT TO.

I don't just recommend "cheap" brands, if you had taken the time to look at my previous thread, you would have seen my recommendations to excellent brands such as BareMinerals for instance. So to come in here and imply that I shouldn't be helping these women because YOU somehow have more knowledge and experience than a woman who has Been There Done That in a professional way, and YOU know better and that MAC is the ONLY brand in the WHOLE WORLD we should EVER buy is incredibly insulting not only to the wonderful men and women who have come here to get help, but also insulting to ME, when I am taking time out from my busy schedule to come here and use my experience to help people and would never dream about coming into a thread you were proud of and say "Oh, don't listen to her, she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about."

How dare you. I don't often get upset about stuff on the internet, but how dare you come here and be so bald-faced ugly to another fellow human being?

Plus, that's what are men are for. To take care of us in the bedroom and make us look pretty lol.

What an incredibly sexist comment. Thank you for discounting the feminist movement completely and making the stereotypes that misogynists have about women look completely true.

And of course, all those other "Fake" makeup artists that don't use MAC and ONLY MAC got their license to be a makeup artist from a cracker jack box. ONLY MAC IS REAL MAKEUP AND ONLY REAL MAKEUP ARTISTS USE MAC AND NOTHING ELSE, FOLKS, YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

What a crock of shit. Makeup artists use dozens if not HUNDREDS of brands all over the world, I hate to break it to you, and MAC is not the only "real" makeup brand. I know you're in looooove with MAC makeup, but it's not the only good brand out there, and to suggest otherwise is absolute horseshit.

Please, understand...the universe doesn't revolve around you and your opinions. And a good skill to have as a mother is learning how to phrase those opinions in a way that isn't insulting to EVERYONE around you.

Last edited:
Before I give you some advice, I have a few questions for you...What are you currently using right now as your skin care routine, and do you moisturize. Also, why are you looking for something new? Are you dissatisfied with your current routine, or are you noticing your skin changing with age and want something to help keep you looking young?

Not all Elf products are "cheap" and look "cheap". Much like other brands, oh, say like MAC, some products are good, and some are bad. ELF's mineral foundation I am HIGHLY impressed with, as well as many other products such as their primers and blotting papers to name a few. Not all ELF products are one dollar, as well.

You say that "all we need is MAC" and I highly disagree. I also disagree that you say that I should stop looking for good quality items for low prices, because it's a waste of product.

Let me tell you why I know these things. I am an ex model/actor. I was a co-host on a television show, did print/catalog work and runway shows, so I think I out of all of us here have a damn good basis of experience in what products are good, what aren't, and WHY women SHOULD experiment with different products and look for quality for prices they can afford. I take my experience and help women like yourself find products they can love and not spend a fortune on them IF THEY DON'T WANT TO.

I don't just recommend "cheap" brands, if you had taken the time to look at my previous thread, you would have seen my recommendations to excellent brands such as BareMinerals for instance. So to come in here and imply that I shouldn't be helping these women because YOU somehow have more knowledge and experience than a woman who has Been There Done That in a professional way, and YOU know better and that MAC is the ONLY brand in the WHOLE WORLD we should EVER buy is incredibly insulting not only to the wonderful men and women who have come here to get help, but also insulting to ME, when I am taking time out from my busy schedule to come here and use my experience to help people and would never dream about coming into a thread you were proud of and say "Oh, don't listen to her, she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about."

How dare you. I don't often get upset about stuff on the internet, but how dare you come here and be so bald-faced ugly to another fellow human being?

What an incredibly sexist comment. Thank you for discounting the feminist movement completely and making the stereotypes that misogynists have about women look completely true.

And of course, all those other "Fake" makeup artists that don't use MAC and ONLY MAC got their license to be a makeup artist from a cracker jack box. ONLY MAC IS REAL MAKEUP AND ONLY REAL MAKEUP ARTISTS USE MAC AND NOTHING ELSE, FOLKS, YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

What a crock of shit. Makeup artists use dozens if not HUNDREDS of brands all over the world, I hate to break it to you, and MAC is not the only "real" makeup brand. I know you're in looooove with MAC makeup, but it's not the only good brand out there, and to suggest otherwise is absolute horseshit.

Please, understand...the universe doesn't revolve around you and your opinions. And a good skill to have as a mother is learning how to phrase those opinions in a way that isn't insulting to EVERYONE around you.

APPLAUSE!

Agreed!

I have 2 good friends who currently are makeup artists (one for a major network and the other for a TV show) they get flown all over just to do people's faces. Both have also done extensive print work. If you think any REAL makeup artist uses only one brand for everything you're delusional. They pick and choose products that work best.

Add me to those who don't like MAC foundations. Awful. I knew a "I only buy MAC" girl who had the worst skin, too. I suggested she switch foundations and she declared her love for MAC (and zits I guess)
Not a fan of elf products but I tried them. My makeup bag is a mix of drug store items to a few higher end things.

Last edited:
JtohisPB said:
Also, my husband has a much greater purpose in life than making me look pretty.
No shit. Those goddamned spiders don't kill themselves.

I don't understand why people can't just say, "I prefer X" without putting down Y.

No shit. Those goddamned spiders don't kill themselves.

I don't understand why people can't just say, "I prefer X" without putting down Y.

Pffft, Puh-lease. :rolleyes:;) Teh spiders are a cakewalk. It's water bugs I can't handle - especially when those suckers FLY! :eek::eek::eek:

I just found the COOLEST thing!

It is a nail color selector that will help you find nail polish shades that look great with your skin tone, nail shape and length, and let you treat "problem nails" at the same time!

http://www.sallyhansen.com/products/nails/nail-selector

I ended up playing with this fun little website for nearly an hour, looking at different nail polish colors. I have a list of about a hundred now that I'd like to buy!

I thought you ladies that love nail polish might REALLY enjoy this fun tool!

Satindesire, summer time is coming up and I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to protect my skin from the sun?

I'm looking for something that will hold up to being in a pool or a lake and to perspiration. And it would be handy if it was something I didn't have to reapply often.

Last edited:
Satindesire, summer time is coming up and I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to protect my skin from the sun?

I'm looking for something that will hold up to being in a pool or a lake and to perspiration. And it would be handy if it was something I didn't have to reapply often.

That's actually a great question and I'm glad you came to me with it! First, I want to talk about sunscreen because there are a lot of very common misconceptions about sunscreen, and I'd like to use my platform here to talk about those misconceptions and clear those up.

Recently, The FDA has changed the laws regarding what sunscreens can claim to be marketed as, and no sunscreen can be marketed as "waterproof" anymore. It can be called "Water Resistant" for 40-80 minutes, but that's IT.

Now, sunlight comes in two categories, UVA and UVB. UVB causes sunburn, and UVA has more long-term damaging effects on the skin, like premature aging. SPF, or sun protection factor, numbers were introduced in 1962 to measure a sunscreen's effect against UVB rays.

To determine a sunscreen's SPF, testers round up 20 sun-sensitive people and measure the amount of UV rays it takes them to burn without sunscreen. Then they redo the test with sunscreen. The "with sunscreen" number is divided by the "without sunscreen" number, and the result is rounded down to the nearest five. This is the SPF.

SPF numbers start at 2 and have just recently reached 70. To figure out how long you can stay in the sun with a given SPF, use this equation:

Minutes to burn without sunscreen x SPF number = maximum sun exposure time.

For example, if you burn after 10 minutes of sun exposure, an SPF of 15 will allow you to be in the sun for up to 150 minutes without burning. But before you grab your calculator and head for the beach, you should know that this equation is not always accurate. People usually use far less sunscreen than the amount used in testing. In the real world, the average sun worshiper uses half the amount of sunscreen used in the laboratory, which could result in a sunburn in half the time.

So, now we know that a higher SPF number means more sun-exposure time. It also indicates the level of UVB absorption, but this number doesn't increase exponentially, which can be confusing. For example, an SPF of 15 absorbs 93.3 percent of UVB rays, but an SPF of 30 absorbs 96.7 percent. The SPF number has doubled, but the absorption rate has increased by only 3.4 percent.

Because of the confusion about UVB absorption, the FDA proposed a cap on SPF numbers. Any sunscreen higher than 30 SPF would be a "30-plus." Thirty was the decided cap because above that, the percentage of UVB absorbed and overall protection of the skin increases only slightly, but people may misinterpret these higher SPF numbers as a much higher level of protection or even a guarantee of all-day protection. To be marketed as "Broad Spectrum" protection, sunscreen has to block bot UVA -AND- UVB rays, and we all understand how just how harmful both are, even if the affects of one of them isn't immediately noticeable.

As helpful as the FDA was trying to be, the cap is clearly not in practice: Neutrogena and Hawaiian Tropic recently released sunscreens boasting an SPF of 70. With that number, a person who normally burns within 10 minutes can now enjoy 700 minutes -- almost 12 hours -- in the sun without any damage. Right?

*Well, not exactly. We now know that most of us apply only about half the required amount of sunscreen. Also, despite waterproof or sweatproof labels, all sunscreens decrease in effectiveness when exposed to water or sweat. If you don't apply the correct amount and then reapply after exposure to water, a 12-hour bake in the sun could give you a very serious sunburn.

That's why the FDA has recently changed the way manufacterers can market the sunscreen, by disallowing the terms "Waterproof" and "Sweatproof". Also, the FDA states that the protection factor goes down dramatically if you're sweating or in and out of the water unless you apply "frequently". Now, the term "frequently" isn't an exact science, but if you're going to be in the water, and still want some sun protection, I'd say to be safe, reapply at least every hour, to be on the safe side, and choose a sunscreen that stays water resistant for 80 minutes. Anything less than this, and you're risking unnecessary exposure and potential future risks.

Last edited:
SD Superstar

Not into makeup meself, but I just wanna give you a big UP for what you're doing with this thread - someone who knows so much and is so generous with her time and knowledge deserves applause!!! :rose:

Not into makeup meself, but I just wanna give you a big UP for what you're doing with this thread - someone who knows so much and is so generous with her time and knowledge deserves applause!!! :rose:

Thank you. I get a lot of technical information off the internet, I do a lot of reading and researching because this is something I think's important. Women aren't BORN just magically knowing about cosmetics and beauty and body care, and that means someone has to teach us. Well, if I know, and I'm willing to do the footwork, why not me?

Thank you so much for the kudos. :heart:

Back