Isolated Blurts - The HT Cafe Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I was basking in praise today, my grandfather was refusing to eat and in pain. While I was bragging to my husband, and thinking in the back of my mind that I really need to call and check on my Papaw, he was alone and hurting.

He's the glue holding our whole family together...

Firstly, my condolences for Papaw, losing a loved one is never an easy thing.

Secondly, and this is more important. your achievements have nothing to do with his condition. DO NOT beat yourself up for taking pride in your accomplishments. You know he's proud of you, it's ok to be proud of yourself without feeling guilt over his condition.

You deserve to enjoy your moment, there will always be plenty of time for worry and mourning.
 
For the third time in three months, just got a call about my grandparent's turn for the worse. This time it's my Papaw who raised me, my father really. He's very, very sick. If it comes down to the worst outcome, I will have lost all of my grandparents in a 3 month time span. I know I shouldn't be thinking about that, but I can't seem to stop myself. This feels impossible to handle at the moment, too big.

I'm so sorry to hear that, J. I wish there was something I could say or do to help make this more bearable for you. Just know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. :rose:

Secondly, and this is more important. your achievements have nothing to do with his condition. DO NOT beat yourself up for taking pride in your accomplishments. You know he's proud of you, it's ok to be proud of yourself without feeling guilt over his condition. You deserve to enjoy your moment, there will always be plenty of time for worry and mourning.

*nods* J, there's plenty of guilt to go around for stuff that actually merits it. This is not one of them. Take your moment and let it be a bright spot to hold onto when everything else seems to be crashing down. :rose:
 
Another included a boy telling people he didn't care about them if they weren't Christian.

He and his parents must have attended the Westboro Baptist school of thought. :rolleyes:

I'mma gonna shut my yap now. If I get started, I'll *never* shut up. :eek::D
 
Last edited:
Dealt with way too much religion today as a public school teacher. I really wasn't prepared for some of the statements made today. For instance, when discussing cancer after reading a non-fiction selection on early medicine, a student said in all sincerity, "Actually what causes cancer, well when a sinner gets cancer all he has to do is become a Christian and he won't have cancer anymore."

I really didn't see this coming at all. I gently said, "that is not a scientific fact." Oh, boy. Waiting for a call from mom, now.

FWIW - this is a POV that's often shared by young kids and new believers alike. They view God as some cosmic Santa Claus who makes every bad thing go away if you only believe. Instead of jumping your ass, mom should be reading and explaining John 16:33 to her kid.

As an aside, this whole science vs faith thing reminds me of a ST: Voyager episode. Janeway is trapped somewhere in a cave with a higher level being and they get into a philosophical debate over faith vs science. Janeway makes the assertion that just because there are things that are beyond human understanding, that doesn't mean there isn't a logical and reasonable explanation for them. To which the higher level being replies: "Is that not a kind of faith?" I thought that was brilliant.
 
Oh boy..Religious people who follow like Sheeple and gather in large groups scare me!
 
Hell is never ending. ;)
True, true. But this little slice of hell will end soon.

One of the best parts of my job is that by the time the students and I really start to get sick of each other, the semester is over and we can move on, save for those few crazy misguided souls who decide to repeat the torture with me in another term. :)
 
Thank you, Bryan Ferry...for making all my workouts awesome at the gym this past week ! :)
 
Two whole weeks!

Two successful weeks of eating a Vegan diet--and I think I really like it, despite all the helpful, and mostly negative advice, of friends and family. :rolleyes:
 
Two successful weeks of eating a Vegan diet--and I think I really like it, despite all the helpful, and mostly negative advice, of friends and family. :rolleyes:

So long as you are getting plenty of protein *straightface*. Any um, er, gaseous, complications?
 
So long as you are getting plenty of protein *straightface*. Any um, er, gaseous, complications?

I'm getting enough protien. . . I think. lol. Either way--I feel good and am 15lbs lighter. Sadly no gaseous complications. I enjoy a good fart joke as much as the next person--and it would horrify my kids which is always good. :)

Yay Saucy!! Good for you!

And, I know what you mean, I got an earful today about my diet from a good friend. Why are people so bothered by this? I'm sure the advice is even more preachy if one abstains from all animal products.

Thanks J! I'm pretty happy with how things are going, and have only committed to it on a trial basis. But from some of the comments you would think I was eating newborn babies instead of fruits, veggies, and nuts. Most of the well meaning advice is because I not only left my daughter do it, but jumped in whole heartedly with both feet myself. She wanted to do something for her health, I supported her. Guess I still don't get the "mother-of-the-year" award. Its weird that other people care at all, especially since they aren't paying for my groceries.
 
I'm either a hopeful optimist or the stupidest person ever born.

I tend to think it's the latter.
 
Wow, Jamar really surprised me on The Voice tonight. (This is one my two reality shows, this plus Top Chef).

Oooo! Gonna have to go watch it now. I just got caught up on the results from last week. So sad that Sara Hill went home. :( But happy that Chris Mann made it through another round. His voice is A. MA. ZING!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top