Star Ratings

keirakeenorg

Virgin
It seems I have made an enemy.
Every time I post a new story some helpful individual votes it 1 star, it takes a while for genuine readers to influence the rating. (9 - 5 star ratings to drag it back to 4.5)
This is clearly malicious, if he/she hated the Novella so much why read it at all?
What shall I do, is there a mechanism for negating this behavior?
Keira

Other than creating even more than nine logins for "balance?"

No.

Every time I post a new story some helpful individual votes it 1 star, it takes a while for genuine readers to influence the rating. (9 - 5 star ratings to drag it back to 4.5)
This is clearly malicious, if he/she hated the Novella so much why read it at all?
Keira

PM me nudes and I'll take care of it for you.

I think the math is wrong here, you need 7 5s to get a 4.5 after a 1.

But you're right, it's a bummer.

The best counter to a 1 vote is to write a popular story and get lots of votes. Also, troll votes are deleted sometimes. But this is assuming score means a lot to you.

Keira

Happens every time for me too. The mechanism for negating it is sweeps, which help periodically, or lots of votes.

Keira

I think someone’s jealous of your ability, it’s maybe a kinda twisted compliment.
Very hurtful though, I feel your pain 💖
Perhaps people should only be allowed to vote if they comment?

Last edited by a moderator:

Votes would disappear - votes seem to be on average 1:100 views (depending on category and story quality), and maybe a couple of comments per thousand views.

Write a very strong story and your vote and comment count increases, as a general rule. I'm ignoring trolling idiot comments in these counts, which I just delete.

Keira

Why let a little bastard dictate to you how you feel?
Second, the little bastard , henceforth known as it, doesn't matter.
Third, it lacks courage and hides, It doesn't deserve respect because it hasn't earned any.
It must think you're pretty good because it gave you a vote.
It needs to get a life.
It will persue me now but what it doesn't realise is that I am my own worst critic. It can't compete.
Who gives a stuff about it.
It is a lot like circumcision- no skin off my nose.

Votes would disappear - votes seem to be on average 1:100 views (depending on category and story quality), and maybe a couple of comments per thousand views.

Write a very strong story and your vote and comment count increases, as a general rule. I'm ignoring trolling idiot comments in these counts, which I just delete.

Yeah I noticed that. The likes of Anne Douglas gets loads of comments straight off.

Keira

I've got a couple of those followers as well. Don't sweat it, we all get them and there's nothing much any of us can do about it. It all averages out over time but it is annoying.

Bestowing malicious 1s and nasty comments is pretty standard on the Internet and here at Literotica. It's happening across the board here, so you aren't being selected for attention others aren't getting as well. At least here the Web site gives you the power to delete any comments on your stories you don't want there. If they let you delete bad ratings too, everyone's story would have a 5 rating and the system would be meaningless. To some extent if you are writing to please everyone, you are just writing pablum.

1 bombs happen to everyone, so it doesn't necessarily mean they're out to get you. Trolls lie in wait when new stories are published.

You can PM Laurel about it if you think it really is a troll attack, and ask if she can sweep it. The 1 votes may be swept before long anyway, or they may be outweighed by more normal votes.

I've tracked my stories just after publication often enough to see that almost all of them have gotten troll votes that suddenly knock the score down for a while until they're outweighed by other votes. It's just part of the process here.

Keira

There are five levels of voting, 1 through 5 stars. Every one of them is a legitimate choice.

Are you here to find readers or votes?

rj

I've done it once. All my stories got swept.

Same - also note that the contest sweeps keep on cleaning up the gutter whenever they come through. My counts move around more when contests are on - and I don't enter contests, so it's a whole data-base thing.

Good work

I read the first chapter of your series. Really liked it. I noticed that most if not all your stuff gets 4.5+ ratings. Your fans are outvoting the troll every time. Keep your pecker up and keep writing!

I actually believe a lot of the troll comments and 1-bombs would disappear IF the ability to make anonymous comments was removed AND/OR voters could only rate a story if they have a track record of a posting more than once on the forum over at least a 2 week period OR have submitted at least 1 story that has been published.

I actually believe a lot of the troll comments and 1-bombs would disappear IF the ability to make anonymous comments was removed AND/OR voters could only rate a story if they have a track record of a posting more than once on the forum over at least a 2 week period OR have submitted at least 1 story that has been published.

It's up to writers whether or not to accept anonymous comments - you can turn them off if you want. Writers can also delete any comment they choose. The site provides these options already.

Posting on a forum is irrelevant - the percentage of readers who post in forums is tiny compared to the huge mass of silent readers. Besides, most of us who post on forums are opinionated ass-hats, so why does our comment have any more merit than someone who doesn't want to play in the forums? It doesn't.

Posting a story is also irrelevant. Plenty of readers (I'd suggest the vast majority) don't write - why is a writer's comment more worthy than a reader's comment? It's not.

This comes up regularly on AH and the answers are always the same - the voting system is predominantly a reader reaction tool, not a writer reaction tool, writers can control the responses they receive, the system is not ideal but it's not going to change any time soon, trolls exist, the delete button exists.

It's up to writers whether or not to accept anonymous comments - you can turn them off if you want. Writers can also delete any comment they choose. The site provides these options already.

Posting on a forum is irrelevant - the percentage of readers who post in forums is tiny compared to the huge mass of silent readers. Besides, most of us who post on forums are opinionated ass-hats, so why does our comment have any more merit than someone who doesn't want to play in the forums? It doesn't.

Posting a story is also irrelevant. Plenty of readers (I'd suggest the vast majority) don't write - why is a writer's comment more worthy than a reader's comment? It's not.

This comes up regularly on AH and the answers are always the same - the voting system is predominantly a reader reaction tool, not a writer reaction tool, writers can control the responses they receive, the system is not ideal but it's not going to change any time soon, trolls exist, the delete button exists.

Lol! EB the more I get to know you the more I like you.:) Straight to the jugular!

Uggg

Actually while we are on the subject- I wouldn't want to loose some of the very encouraging comments I've had from anonymous readers.

I haven't posted much but the feed back has been nice. We would lose the good with the bad if we didn't allow anonymous feedback.

:rose:Uggg

Actually while we are on the subject- I wouldn't want to loose some of the very encouraging comments I've had from anonymous readers.

I haven't posted much but the feed back has been nice. We would lose the good with the bad if we didn't allow anonymous feedback.

:rose:Uggg

Yep - some of my best comment have been anons. I don't remember the clown ones, because I don't give them oxygen. "Delete" is your friend.

I delete any comment that attacks me or another poster personally. I don't care whether they are Anon or registered. I leave comments about the story good or bad.

The most useful comments I get are mostly from Anon, not registered members. They aren't always positive, but I learn something from them.

I don't care what happens with the voting system. It is for readers to vent or express themselves. It has NO value to writers. But leave the comments alone. They work fine for writers who listen.

rj

Back