Trans* webcomics

haurni

Literotica Guru
Trans webcomics

I've found a number of webcomics featuring trans characters over the years and thought I'd share the list for any who are interested. The ones below are mostly about trans women/girls though trans men/boys appear in several of them. Most (but not all) are written by trans women. They generally aren't erotic in nature, though KhaosKomix and Questionable Content both have some sex in them. Let me know if you have others that you recommend. I've liked Rain, KhaosKomix and Assigned Male enough to actually buy them in hard copy.

Assigned Male (9/10)

A relatively new (Sept. 2014) comic about an 11-year-old trans girl named Stephie. Most of the dialogue is much more adult than the character would suggest; the main purpose of the strip appears primarily to be educational on the matter of trans issues. In one episode Stephie says "I wasn't 'born a boy,' just as much as I didn't 'become a girl." It's just that nobody cared to ask me first. The only difference with cisgender people is that they agree with the gender they're assigned..." For some reason I had initially given this 3/5 - it deserves to be bumped up to a 9/10.

Between the Lines (7/10)

Teen trans girls Dani and Shay. Very well drawn. Starts off right in the middle, seems a bit unfocused, and unfortunately ends rather abruptly, but it's worth reading even though it's fairly short. Touches on issues of acceptance by family, abuse and suicide. My main objection to this comic is that there isn't enough of it. The site also has a lot of information on trans resources (particularly in the Links section).

Chaos Life (6/10)

Mostly one-off semi-whimsical panels, often touching on issues of gender and sexuality. Or cats. One of the main characters is agender. Source of one of my favourite phrases for genitalia - "crotch giblets".

Closetspace (3/10)

The drawing is basic, I have trouble telling some of the characters apart, and the plot seems somewhat confusing initially, especially with appearances by the Grand Army of the Republic of Texas, but it gets less crazy as it evolves and is mostly normal by Act III. Issues touched on include AIDS and addictive behaviours. Seems to go on hiatus for months at a time. Includes a sort-of crossover with Venus Envy (see below), though it doesn't do the latter justice.

El Goonish Shive (4/10)

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this comic. There's a lot of magical sex-changing going on and I don't pretend to understand the story (I did skip a large chunk in the middle), but it's generally sympathetic to LGB and gender-variant/gender-fluid people (see here for an example).

KhaosKomix (10/10)

Very well-written and illustrated story in 8+ parts, it's a common thread seen from the perspectives of a number of LGBT characters including trans girl Charlie. Issues addressed include sexual abuse, particularly in Jamie's Story, which is very dark in general. The R- to X-rated side stories are found at Discord Comics but read the main stories first. They're all excellent.

Manic Pixie Nightmare Girls (7/10)

One of the better comics; though the drawing is not stellar and the panels are typically one-offs rather than part of an ongoing narrative, it has its own quirky style and a quality similar to "Assigned Male" in terms of vigorously addressing transphobia and similar issues.

Mock Girl (1/10)

A comic about a young trans woman, Sam, that includes dream sequences and subplots involving Russian criminals, Hollywood starlets, and scary clowns, so not particularly true-to-life. The fact that the character is trans is largely incidental to the story. I kind of have an issue with the title, too.

The Princess (5/10)

A story about a preteen trans girl that focuses mainly on seeking acceptance in her home and school life. Takes a somewhat whimsical approach, particularly in the personality of her gender-bending friend Irma. The majority of the conflict is psychological and social. This might be particularly interesting for people who are trying to raise kids without gender straightjackets.

Questionable Content (9/10)

A variety of interesting and occasionally dysfunctional individuals populate this universe, along with sentient robots. A dominatrix and some bi and lesbian characters are among the cast; a trans character is introduced around episode 2200, give or take (but is not identified as such until much later), though their transgender status is of minimal relevance (the few episodes in which it is addressed are sympathetic and, surprise surprise, treat them with the full respect and consideration they deserve as people). The strip is occasionally interrupted by foul-mouthed songbirds or turkeys for some reason.

Rain (10/10)

A long-running series about teen trans girl Rain Flaherty. Almost everyone she hangs around with expresses some non-conventional sexuality (by the author's express intent), which is fine if a little too convenient (and contrived). Still, it's a great story and one of my favourites. Volumes 1 & 2 are available for purchase on etsy (the print quality for v.2 is much better than for v.1). The art is fairly basic and sometimes it's hard to tell the characters apart. Issues touched on include acceptance by family.

Simply Sarah (6/10)

Primarily a lesbian comic, but it does have a trans/CD character, Nick/Nikki. The characters are believable and it is nicely drawn and well-written. It has some dark parts (including a murder, an attempted murder and a couple of non-explicit but still powerful scenes of rape and child sexual abuse), but nowhere near what Wildflowers (see below) does.

Validation Comic (7/10)

A story about geeky trans woman Ally. The strip touches on a number of stereotypes and 'mundane' issues that trans people face on a day-to-day basis. I did take enough issue with what I felt could be construed as victim-blaming in strip #78 to actually post a comment.

Venus Envy (8/10)

High-school trans girl Zoe and her family and friends. It starts a bit unevenly but bear with it as it gradually morphs from a series of sketches in various styles to a coherent narrative. As the story goes on it gradually gets darker. The series essentially ends abruptly on the March 16th 2010 strip though 3 more panels were published over the following 4 years; another artist also attempted to continue the story but that fizzled.

Wildflowers (9/10)

Not all that well drawn, but don't let that put you off - there are some very powerful scenes in this comic. Also a LOT of transphobic violence. Like, seriously. Lots. Enough that the third page is a trigger warning: "Wildflowers deals with some very hard topics. These include suicide, assault, rape and intense self hatred." You have been warned. Some of the character motivations don't seem to make a lot of sense (especially the protagonist's brother), and at times I get confused about which characters are which, but overall I find it intense and gripping.

Last edited:
I am sure I have some that turn up on my dash. I'm bookmarking this thread and I'll add them when I find them

The more I read about other trans*, the more I realise how screwed up I am. Being surrounded by cis folk is the best therapy. I may read some more, but Wildflowers was too good for comfort :(

The more I read about other trans*, the more I realise how screwed up I am. Being surrounded by cis folk is the best therapy. I may read some more, but Wildflowers was too good for comfort :(
Unless you have severe anorexia, self-doubt and get beaten up regularly, I don't see how Wildflowers can be 'better' than your own life... :eek:

Unless you have severe anorexia, self-doubt and get beaten up regularly, I don't see how Wildflowers can be 'better' than your own life... :eek:
Oh sorry - I didn't mean 'good' as in better but as in 'well observed' and I found the content uncomfortable and difficult. I avoided saying triggering, but I don't think any mtf could avoid having memories stirred by reading it: ones I'd rather not revisit tbh.

I'll look through some of the others though.
They'd be good background reading for friends & family but, by living with cis-folk, I can put the more difficult emotions back in a box you know? I can't live everyday remembering some of that stuff.

Last edited:
I can certainly understand that. Wildflowers is certainly not easy reading even for someone who hasn't gone through that. The Princess looks at a lot of issues related to acceptance but, as I mentioned, in a fairly whimsical way - however, if that's something you (or anyone else) dealt with a lot then it might not be all that much fun to read. Validation Comic is rather innocuous. Rain is good, not too intense and fairly positive in most respects. KhaosKomix is also very good but the part called 'Jamie's Story' is very likely to be triggering for anyone with any experience of sexual assault. I also don't suggest reading Venus Envy, which gets quite dark as it progresses. Almost all of them depict negative reactions of family to coming out as trans (except possibly Validation Comic), though to varying degrees.

Last edited:
Thanks for the appraisals of the others. I read about 200 posts from Wildflowers in one go so I was a bit woooah. It is quite compulsive reading and I've exchanged a few notes with the author so that's been nice.
I could see me reaching a point where I don't want to think about all the pain of pre-transition *shudders* Of course one has to resolve all the questions but one can stay shackled to them or we never progress. At the same time, I'd like to be able to help other trans women... I guess I'll work it out

Questionable Content has a trans woman. She was introduced quite a way into the story and she doesn't appear a lot, so it's not something to read just for the sake of trans-ness, but the portrayal is pretty positive. The QC universe is a pretty open-minded sort of place and as far as I know (haven't kept up lately) nobody ever made a big deal about her being trans.

Oglaf has trans* characters e.g. this episode. They get treated with as much respect as anybody else in the strip.

There are some capsule summaries of most of the comics I listed in my original post on the 'Other stuff I read' page of Wildflowers as well as a few others I hadn't read or neglected to mention.

Venus Envy gets glowing reviews from almost everybody and I echo that. My own comments may have suggested that I felt otherwise but I really did like it - I just can't say more without giving spoilers. I did give it four stars.

What's Normal Anyway is a comic with a transmale protagonist that I forgot to include in my main list. It's been a while since I read it so I don't really remember it except that it was good enough for me to read all 162 episodes :) Probably worth three stars.

Bridges is another one I've started reading - like KhaosKomix and Rain it's a mixed LGBTQ cast with several trans characters and very well drawn. This is worth at least four stars.

I read through all of Lean on Me the other day. Personally I'd give it one star for being fairly insipid along with mediocre drawing.

EDIT: Looking over my ratings, I see that the only one I've given 5 stars to is KhaosKomix. I think that's because it has sex scenes in it. :D (Bridges does too, so we'll see if that one becomes a 5 over time.)

Last edited:
Thanks again H. It may be a while before I get around to reading the others - I'm still feeling a little traumatised by Wildflowers but I seem to have struck up a friendship with its author, which is nice :)
She's done an amazing job of exploring pretty much everything to do with being trans and 15yrs. Shit - I'd put so much of that away, but it's been good to have revisited it and makes me realise how lucky I've been: my family, my school, my country ( mostly ) - big love :heart:

Yeah, nobody should have to deal with that shit. Sorry if I've contributed to opening old wounds. Read Rain or The Princess or Validation Comic if/when you're looking for something lighter. Save KhaosKomix and Venus Envy for when you're feeling stronger.

Best wishes :rose:

Some of us are both gay and trans, and we will gladly contribute to both threads :)

Haurni dammit. As if I didn't have enough distractions, I'm now a comic fan :mad::):)
Just snaffled khaos komics in one go. Where has this stuff been all my life? KK was definitely a more comfortable read though it skimped a lot of things as it went on, like whether she was on hormones etc. Guess the author wanted to concentrate on the love aspect though. Her early life was very spooky indeed...

Yeah, I've been known to stay up until 3 am reading through an entire series. Actually bought Rain & KhaosKomix in print form.

But Jamie's story... gah... I don't know how much fighting back tears I can do... just love the way it swept into Charlie life as well. Awesome writing and I couldn't help but feel far more for Jamie than I did Charlie - poor guy. Jeez... Ok... I have to go out in a while and need to lose these blotches :cool::cool:

Oh ^^^ this was in Khaos for anyone the lurks this

KhaosKomix is also very good but the part called 'Jamie's Story' is very likely to be triggering for anyone with any experience of sexual assault.
But Jamie's story... gah... I don't know how much fighting back tears I can do... just love the way it swept into Charlie life as well. Awesome writing and I couldn't help but feel far more for Jamie than I did Charlie - poor guy.
I warned you. :)

Just got my copy of Khaos Komix in the mail. It's a good quality boxed set, but it's incomplete without the side stories, so I'll have to shell out more money for those when they become available. :rolleyes: I'm also waiting for the next book of Rain comics to come out, which will supposedly be soon.

Looks like Wildflowers is about to get nasty again... :(

Just got my copy of Khaos Komix in the mail. It's a good quality boxed set, but it's incomplete without the side stories, so I'll have to shell out more money for those when they become available. :rolleyes: I'm also waiting for the next book of Rain comics to come out, which will supposedly be soon.

Looks like Wildflowers is about to get nasty again... :(
She did warn me.... I'll have supper first.

Hi Stella - yea do post anything you find please. I'm a convert :)

ETA
tumblr_n3vrg7Mkkp1rx9ovro1_400.png

^^^ this
It's lovely to get <<hugs>> and support but Annie says it here. It's like telling a disabled person, or a paraplegic from a war that they are brave. We don't have choice - there is no choice.
*sigh* It's a weird thing but being sympathised with almost makes me weaker, like when your Mum offers you a hug and then all the tears spill out. Despite the sympathy and the love, we still have to build ourselves up from the inside out again. I'm prob not explaining too well

Last edited:
tumblr_n3vrg7Mkkp1rx9ovro1_400.png

^^^ this
It's lovely to get <<hugs>> and support but Annie says it here. It's like telling a disabled person, or a paraplegic from a war that they are brave. We don't have choice - there is no choice.
I immediately thought of you when I saw this, as I remembered you saying essentially the same thing to me after a comment I made. :rose:

I'm working on a manga that has a trans person in. Shes new to school, starting over and rumors spread as to why until its found out that she's trans. This guy starts to befriend her before he finds out it's true- shrugging it off as the most popular rumor, and his friends stop hanging with him. I'm trying to think of a title. I was thinking Other Side Of The Fence or something to that extent. I don't pretend to be a trans expert, nomatter how many I know, so he sort of gets more of the force than she does by association.

I'm working on a manga that has a trans person in. Shes new to school, starting over and rumors spread as to why until its found out that she's trans. This guy starts to befriend her before he finds out it's true- shrugging it off as the most popular rumor, and his friends stop hanging with him. I'm trying to think of a title. I was thinking Other Side Of The Fence or something to that extent. I don't pretend to be a trans expert, nomatter how many I know, so he sort of gets more of the force than she does by association.
Wow - sounds awesome. I'm sure by working on that you will learn more about trans* issues along the way. Avoid the stereotypes and keep us posted!!

I know a number of them, so I hope to not fuck it up, but what are the stereotypes?

Back