Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome, GentlemanJunkie. I have never heard that one before and it is not in my dictionary. Is it regional, by chance?

I add this next one because I happen to have inherited a necklace with matching earrings, made of pinchbeck and paste anmethysts.

pinchbeck - noun [Christopher Pinchbeck +1732, watchmaker] 1. an alloy of copper and zinc used especially to imitate gold in cheap jewelry 2. something counterfeit or spurious

Nowadays, pinchbeck jewelry is no longer considered "cheap" jewelry. Although, it is never precious, it has lasted the test of time and have become collector's items.

This is what probably caused my mom's finger to turn green.

Thanks for that one, Allard; never heard the term before. It is a nice one, but I had kind of hoped it would be a conjunction of the English word "pinch" and the French "bec" (a little kiss), and envisioned an exciting variety of love bite.

Probably electroplating of oxidized copper in the slightly acidic environment some peoples' skin has. Copper and zinc together can give quite a current.

Shocking!!
Concidering I'm in the Electric City, Schenectady NY...

Yeah, I know the puns are terrible!!!

Shocking!!
Concidering I'm in the Electric City, Schenectady NY...

Yeah, I know the puns are terrible!!!

Yes, just add a bit of salt from the Shakers for a general electric current.

(The Shakers were founded next door in Niskayuna, and isn't there a large electrical research center there?)

Yes, just add a bit of salt from the Shakers for a general electric current.

(The Shakers were founded next door in Niskayuna, and isn't there a large electrical research center there?)

Knolls Atomic Power Labratory, but no one's supposed to know that!!! Expect a visit from the Navy..

LOL

Never heard of it...never even drove by...:rolleyes:

Hell, I've never even heard of Union College...

Union College, where the male athletes and frat boys treated us high school athletes like little brothers and the females treated us like we were garbage...LOL

Union College, where the male athletes and frat boys treated us high school athletes like little brothers and the females treated us like we were garbage...LOL

I was presuming from your location and your profile that you were at Union, and aren't little brothers garbage to the big girls?:D

(But let's cease, and not hijack the lovely Allard's word thread for our own discourse).

I was presuming from your location and your profile that you were at Union, and aren't little brothers garbage to the big girls?:D

(But let's cease, and not hijack the lovely Allard's word thread for our own discourse).

I graduated from the community college with two degrees. I attended Union for an experimental course, one that integrated rock and roll lyrics with modern literature and was attended by mostly "jocks" :D

PIAT (acronym, noun, proper), British made infantry anti-tank weapon designed in 1942.

I mention it because I (think) we're still on the 'Ps' and there is rather an amusing anecdote testifying to the total lack of enthusiasm your average Tommy had for the weapon.

Apparently, it was so ineffectual at knocking out tanks the saying went:

"If you're trying to knock out a tank and all else fails, you can always PIAT them."

Hello, again, gentlemen. Do as you will on this thread. You will not hear any objections from me, unless it is mean-spirited. No room for that, here.

I sincerely doubt pinchbeck caused any greening of the skin, due to the zinc. From what I learned about jewelery manufacturing during Pinchbeck's time, these pieces were made to look very expensive, even though they were not. After the French Revolution, roadside robberies of the rich happened frequently enough that wealthy women no longer wanted to wear precious stones and metals in public. If the robbers only got fake gold and paste jewels, it was not such a loss.

pince-nez - noun plural eyeglasses clipped to the nose by a spring

Hello, again, gentlemen. Do as you will on this thread. You will not hear any objections from me, unless it is mean-spirited. No room for that, here.

I sincerely doubt pinchbeck caused any greening of the skin, due to the zinc. From what I learned about jewelery manufacturing during Pinchbeck's time, these pieces were made to look very expensive, even though they were not. After the French Revolution, roadside robberies of the rich happened frequently enough that wealthy women no longer wanted to wear precious stones and metals in public. If the robbers only got fake gold and paste jewels, it was not such a loss.

pince-nez - noun plural eyeglasses clipped to the nose by a spring

Now I knew what those were :D

Yet another piece of information about my favorite time period that I knew nothing about and now do, Thanks to OG! What an interesting encyclopedia entry to read this morning with my coffee.

pimping - adj [origin unknown] 1. PETTY, INSIGNIFICANT 2. chiefly dial: PUNY, SICKLY

Yet another piece of information about my favorite time period that I knew nothing about and now do, Thanks to OG! What an interesting encyclopedia entry to read this morning with my coffee.

pimping - adj [origin unknown] 1. PETTY, INSIGNIFICANT 2. chiefly dial: PUNY, SICKLY

Also, I suspect, the action of a Pimp, who provides the services of a prostitute (and takes a percentage of her fee).

Welcome, GentlemanJunkie. I have never heard that one before and it is not in my dictionary. Is it regional, by chance?

It is not regional. And I wasn in the dicionary I had. Cormac McCarthy used it in a nevel and I had to look online for what it meant.

And thanks or welcoming me. Glad to find this post.

Bloviate- To speak in pompous or overbearing way.

Harry Potter words

The Harry Potter novels included a whole series of invented words, and some invented meanings for existing words.

For example:

Quidditch - a game played on flying broomsticks.

Quaffle - one of the balls

Snitch - flying golden ball.

Splinched - leaving part of the body behind when trying to apparate.

Horcrux - object that contains part of a soul.

I'm sure the followers of this thread can produce many more of J K Rowling's inventions.

It was J.K. Rowling's success that prompted me to begin writing my first novel, so you are correct in your assumption that Harry Potter fans are lurking around this thread, Og.

pimp(1) - noun [origin unknown] PROCURER, PANDER

pimp(2) - vi to act the pimp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back