New Poetry Recommendations

Greetings poets, and happy weekend! There is only one new poem posted as of now (shortly before noon, my time), so I'll check back later. :)

ETA: Nope, no more new poems beyond the one that has been up all day. That means we all have more time to write some ourselves!
 
Last edited:
Sunday, August 12

Tardy again, sorry.

Yesterday, there were several poems.

Fabled Beauties by njoyjade was the best.

I liked the images in 'unruffled leaf' and 'unbending reed'. Wasn't really keen on the 'armed with goodness' bit, though. Also, I thought the rhyme subtle and unobtrusive, and felt it worked well with the overall theme presented.
 
MY Sun God by rd1234

rd 1234 is a new Lit poet and this is her first submission. I like the sentiment and imagery of this piece, but I find it wordy. It would be much better if the lines were cleaner and more direct.

Another new Lit poet has two submissions today. The first is a poetic fable and the second sounds poetic, but doesn't make sense.

Pride by Felix921

untitled by Felix921


Shewolfwannabe is a new Lit poet. This is an interesting piece, but the misspellings and near-spellings distract from the read.
This is it by shewolfwannabe09


It's the day for new Lit poets. I don't know if this is supposed to be voiced in dialect or vernacular, but proof reading and editing is not too much to ask.
Lisa by poetbradley

Mo by oneiria
A wonderful short piece by the familiar oneiria. This is today's must read.

How to Fuck Me by Princess_Of_Darkness

The Princess submits her first Lit poem in the form of a primer. The lesson is concise, but thorough. I notice there are 101 other poems by the same name.
 
Only three people have posted their poems today: -

Shewolfwannabe09 has three up today, each one very different from the others varying from rhyming couplets to prose.

New-to-Lit poet Moondarkness offers her second poem posted here, I Should Be and is my pick for this week because the first verse grabbed my attention but, over all, it was a disappointment.

Lastly we have cavu182's Sexy, Sultry, Female Lust which whets our appeites with promises of a gourmet meal then dishes up KD.

Enough miserly comments - the sun's shining, the beach calls, I'm outta here.
 
Hi, everyone. Once again it's Friday and time to read the new poems.

Nine posts today, from seven different poets. Let's take a look:
  • First time Lit poet master_chay gives us an erotic poem that is a cut better than the usual fare with My Model. Pretty good for a first effort. Check it out.
  • Another first-time poet, MrDark77 posts a more typical Lit erotic poem with The Beauty of Female Flesh. The poem is written in unmetrical couplets (A woman’s flesh is as sweet as sugar by the hour / The perfumes she wears with a nice floral scent shall never sour) that sound rather forced to me, but others may like it.
  • I'm not sure that I can actually tell you what Felix921's Little Brother is supposed to be about. I found it a bit over-abstract, I guess.
  • shewolfwannabe09 writes a poem about a mother's love in jays poem. The poem has several misspellings, which makes it a bit hard to read.
  • There are two new poems today from Tessa8--You and Today. The poems are something of an odd combination, the former being about a lover's steadiness and dependability and the latter being about a woman beginning to recover from an apparent failed relationship.
  • New poet Iwaitbytheseaforyou also posts two poems today. Old Mind contrasts "old minds" with a "young man." Old does not come out well in the comparison. Chalk with a Board is a little poem about a relationship that could almost pass for aphorism.
  • Finally njoyjade offers us all some advice with Live Life Well, another rather aphoristic poem many will like.
Have a good weekend, all.
 
Sunday, August 19

Charley said she wouldn't be around today, so I'll recommend a few poems I liked. My taste may not be yours, so you might want to scan the entire new poems for today.
  • Tess has a couple that are quite good. Winter stream seems a bit out of season, but is evocative and cooling (welcome in this heat), while Erogenous Triggers pretty much stokes the fire to Furnance Overload, but with a thoroughly excellent kind of heat. Wowza. My p-p-pick of the day. :)
  • The always reliable demure101 has three poems today. I'll mention my favorite, Lost Opportunity, which is a little slice-of-life poem wherein the Narrator comes across a situation that makes him think of his boyhood. Quite well done.
  • Oneiria is a poet whose work is often difficult or strange, but also a poet I almost always find interesting to read. Thirst Circa 2043 is both a climatological warning and a shape poem of interest. Well worth a look.
Anyway, what I especially enjoyed today. Read 'em all and make your own minds up, 'K?
 
SweetsweetSurrender is a new Lit poet. This piece bounces around for a bit, but settles down to be a nice read.

Setting the stage by SweetSweetSurrender

A sweet little piece from njoy. A nice read.
She Is by njoyjade


Felix gives us two short pieces today. The second is very well done.
Milktoast by Felix921

All My Ebbing Smiles by Felix921


An enigmatic haiku from demure.
Homecoming by demure101

Midnight Bell by dohbuoy
I like the imagery in this piece, but the metaphors get confusing before it's over. I'm left wondering how many different "strangers" there are. It would help a great deal if capitalized letter were used to start a sentence along commas and periods to direct traffic.

Inexorable by mafia_patriarch

The author's note says this piece is " a punk rock song sans music." Music would help a great deal.
 
Oh joy! There’s a veritable poetic feast today.


From the top, demure101 has been awarded a well earned “E” for a lovely, smooth villanelle Ship of Fools . Using this form so seamlessly isn’t easy and this version really works. A must read.


Next comes LustfulIntent with Impossible Love, Inescapable S=Death , a cri-de-coeur for unfulfilled love. It’s a bit repetitive but perhaps that adds to the pathos, a good effort
for a first time poster on Lit.


Tzara gives us one of his lovely, wistful poems in free form, Obelisk . I love these little slice-of-life poems and this one has the feel of a sensitive pencil sketch, muted with space left for the imagination.


New-to-Lit Mafia_Patriarch has five up for grabs today. They’re all quite different one from the other and all worthy of your attention. At some point he explains a poem as “not meant to be elegant. Think of it as a punk rock song sans music”, that and hip hop seem to be a major influence but then he slips in the delightful Painting Glass which took my breath away.



Sweet Heaven
by LilyKitty is your run-of-the-mill throbbing, thrusting fuckfest….”Oh GAWD! Fill me now!” ‘Nuff said.


Demure101’s second piece is Fair Enough , a cautionary tale….carpe diem indeed. In a tightly rhyming poem like this the scan really has to be impeccable for perfection, this was close but not perfect.


Njoyjade is our sage for the day with two short but cogent poems, Define and Up to Us , both small but with a telling punch.


Rajesh Khanna RIP by Ashesh9 is dedicated to a recently deceased (July ’12) Indian film “super star”. Nicely done and not lacking the usual exclamation marks, of course.
 
Saturday, August 25th 2012

There were a smattering of new poems today. I rather liked .0000000- by mafia_patriarch, though I think the preface was unneeded. The subject is clear and the approach is clean. See what you think.

TL Burton's Liquid Dreams, by comparison, seems a bit overwritten, though it is clear and of an appropriate length for the subject. Perhaps it was the result of reading it after the other that gave me this encumbered feeling.

I generally love neonurotic's poems, but his Circulatory wasn't working for me. I think it is because I got the report of what was happening without actually being able to see out of the windows. Like riding the subway or something. Maybe that is intentional and meta or something. I will read it again tomorrow to see what I think.

SweetSweetSurrender had two poems today of which I preferred Pick Me Up. These were quite straightforward and a bit plain, but sincere.

There are two more poems that I passed over but you may wish to investigate. Best wishes for a great weekend.
 
Sunday, August 26

There are nine new poems today and demure101 has three of them, all worth a read.

By demure101, Joy is my least favourite of the bunch, but has its good and bad. The initial line, "frozen tranquility" feels redundant, and even the use of the article "a" on the last line serves no purpose other than to add a syllable. Haiku is about brevity. Bedside Stories, on the other hand, is my favourite. It really has a cinematic flavour that I love, and even though I don't recognize its form, I at least see some interesting formal elements in the poem's somewhat loose structure. The end-rhyme on the 2nd and 4th verses and the soft refrain repeated on the final two lines of each stanza are nicely done and make the poem, as a whole, more cohesive.

Breakfast in Bed by oneiria is also worth a read. It offers a little bit of fun to a lazy domestic Sunday morning.
 
Serenity by SweetOblivion

A straight forward address from prolific SweetOblivion. The title is ironic, but the imagery is clinical.


Demure brings us two pieces today. The first is a very good allegory and the second is about a cat.
The Dragon Complains by demure101

Old Age by demure101

A New Neighbor by runningonblade

Runningblade is a new Lit poet and this is his first submission. This is a rhyming narrative from the Ogden Nash school of poetry. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a Nash tribute or parody. Maybe neither.

Parallax by Koba

Koba gives us another of his prose poems. This one contains many brilliant images. This is today's recommended read.


The last two poems today are illustrated submissions. I wish we had more.
Is that You Mary? by Zrnko_Pisku A touching requiem.

The Sculptor by Cinner A short and stark, but very erotic poem.
 
It’s a heady collection of (10) poems today and I’m pressed for time so I’m going to be decisive and recommend only two but please go and read the other eight.

Tzara, a long time favourite of mine, has two here today, Handjobs to strangers in which Tz manages to turn sleaze into something almost lovely, artistic at least.

The second poem is From a Box of Dreams which has some unforgettable imagery, for instance a ticket for the metro falling from its lodging in a book

fluttered to the floor like a moth,

exhausted
from hovering all night
around the light at the foot of the stairs
.”

and triggers a flood of memories, such a lovely description with not a wasted word.

Thank you for your tolerance, see you next week.
 
Good afternoon, everyone. It's Friday again and time for me to look over the new poems.

Five new ones today, by four different poets. Let's see what we've got.

  • MSTarot continues a series with Poems without Names (Part 2). These little poems (there are quite a number of them) seem more like short philosophical riddles or koan rather than poetry, at least to me. My personality is perhaps a bit too cynical for these to appeal to me, but probably a number of readers will find them of interest. They are certainly rather different than your usual Lit poetry.
  • New poet LangstonLover (after Langston Hughes, I wonder?) gives us a short kind of prose poem/hip hop lyric, Runner, about a woman jogging through a park. The form is a little strange--sentence phrases strung together with ellipses so that the overall effect is of a run-on sentence--but perhaps appropriate for the subject matter, which is of the narrator's thoughts while watching the woman run.
  • There are two poems today by DannysBoy. The first of these, The Garden has a rather unusual form in that it seems to be more or less in ballad meter (4-3-4-3, rhymed abcb) except that the stanzas are presented as lines or paragraphs:
    I slept so lonely missing her, and seen her dreams through mine, I felt the only reason left, was waiting throughout time.
    Frankly, I didn't make it all the way through this poem, which seems to be a lament for lost love. Just wasn't feeling it, but you might find it more congenial.

    I had a similar problem with I've Been Here Long, which has a similar structure (though largely trimeter). The singsong character of the lines, perhaps coupled with the warmth of the afternoon here, made me a bit drifty reading. How 'bout reading DB yourself and forming your own judgment?
  • First-time poet CamillaHumby writes about fantasy vs. reality in Marketplace of Dreams. As poetry, this reads a little too much like a list of statements rather than composed lines, but that is likely just my personal prejudices coming through. Slight twist ending keeps it from being your ordinary Lit erotic fare.
It's Labor Day weekend here in the States. Have a great one. Have a great one even if it isn't a three-day weekend where you are.

Note: I will be out the next three weeks, so feel free to comment on the Friday poems your own self. I'd appreciate it.

Bye now.
 
The second poem is From a Box of Dreams which has some unforgettable imagery, for instance a ticket for the metro falling from its lodging in a book

fluttered to the floor like a moth,

exhausted
from hovering all night
around the light at the foot of the stairs
.”

and triggers a flood of memories, such a lovely description with not a wasted word.

Thank you for your tolerance, see you next week.
Strongly recommend reading this, ignore the comment I left, I was wrong. Find the "I" in the poem, what does the "I" really do? This is the "Wasteland" compressed into a ticket.
If no one objects, I would like to parse it.


This I would like to recommend also
Covet the Night
byNeonurotic©
Neo, does something so simple, so basic, most people don't even think about it,
they should.
It's in just about every movie.
Scenery, Action.
Again find the "I" it's pretty easy, in both cases they are wearing nametags;
while you're at it check out the other personal pronouns.
Now how is the"I" defined by what is around it? Neo's actually speaks. In both cases the "I" actually acquires a persona from the readers perception of it's reaction to the surrounding.
At a later date, I'll address what happens with the other personal pronouns. Did you notice how neatly "you" balances "I", I'll bet you neither one thought about it when they were writing.
 
Sunday, September 2

There were only 2 poems Sunday, but do give Castles in the Sky by LordIceLupus a read. I wasn't thrilled by the whole "two as one" cliché but it's the better of the two poems. :)
 
Sex with MaryJane by LangstonLover

Langston Lover is a new Lit poet and this is his second submission. His style is hard on the eyes. There is prose poetry and this is over-prose. These days, there are no rules for what a poem is, or might be, but it should sound poetic. This reads like a synopsis of a video.



Kokshur is a long time and prolific Lit poet. He has two poems today

say it by kokshur
This is a short and terse piece about the power of voice.

so young by kokshur

We get a lot of blowjob poems at Lit. That's not a surprise. This blowjob poem emphasizes the old adage about "sex is something that happens in the mind." It's worth a read.

Ten Thousand Waves by KendallJames
A nice short piece with vivid images.

Autumn Camembert Rain by cavu182
A sweet narrative about a rained out picnic. My only complaint is about a misplaced comma, or transposed words which creates Camembert wine. The thought is interesting, but the world has enough cheesy wine.
 
this bothers me, for a variety of reasons,
one it was overlooked
L'Histoire du Parc des Buttes Chaumont
a rule of thumb i have is how long would it take me to come up with something like that, if I could, a long, long time, true we operate at different ends of the spectrum and he has developed a skill set, i often overlook.
two, the poem itself bothers me, usually an indication that i need to go back and look at it

i have five times, i can't quite put my finger on it, but when
greenmountaineer
makes what i perceive to be an error, it is probably an indication he is doing something else.

I do question his wisdom of even bothering posting it, have of the submitters probably don't read, and half of the readers don't want to work too hard.

But he is one of the best poets here,
i suspect reading may have had a part in that

dontcha think?
 
this bothers me, for a variety of reasons,
one it was overlooked
My fault. It posted after I did my Friday review (Friday postings are very erratic) and I didn't check back.

But, most everyone here should know by now I pretty much revere gm's poems, so perhaps I'll catch a little slack there.

Interesting poem. Very well-written, as always. I just got back from California and am leaving at dawn for elsewhere, so I will let you carry the discussion on this, twelvie.

Mayhaps you'd like to do the Friday review for the net three weeks, while I am basking in my hard-earned holiday?

Au revoir, in any case.
 
My fault. It posted after I did my Friday review (Friday postings are very erratic) and I didn't check back.

But, most everyone here should know by now I pretty much revere gm's poems, so perhaps I'll catch a little slack there.

Interesting poem. Very well-written, as always. I just got back from California and am leaving at dawn for elsewhere, so I will let you carry the discussion on this, twelvie.

Mayhaps you'd like to do the Friday review for the net three weeks, while I am basking in my hard-earned holiday?

Au revoir, in any case.
no schedule is erratic (just like me, as you were fond of saying)
I will recommend yours from yesterday, highly

Spell

I of course being agnostic and preferring Lucky Charms
 
New poems

against my skin by lewdpoet needs some, quite a lot in fact, pruning. It tries to cover too much emotion and yet leaves us cold. If the reader is supposed to feel what the protagonist feels this one didn’t.

Demure101 has two up today, Finality and The Vagabond Path . I appreciate this prolific poets work, the pieces are never boring or clichéd and the subjects varied. Of the two here today my preference is the latter but both merit your attention.

Roller Coaster by BBWangleyes is just what the title says, the highs and lows of a relationship. As poetry it did not engage me which isn’t surprising as it is diected at someone special and so doesn’t include the casual reader. The idea is interesting and could be developed more.
[url=http://www.literotica.com/p/i-loved-and-lost-again] I loved and lost again [/B] by vani349 confusing on several levels, the switch from “I” to “she” , the use or upper case “I” to lower case and the general directionless. I read it through several times and never felt satisfied.

If Not Mom Then Who? is an incestual ode to gimmeruez’s mother. I’m no prude but I threw up in my mouth.

Buk’s Parking Lot by Theedgeofoz is a staccato delivery of prose broken into short lines, many of them clichéd. They tell us of a memorable date but not WHY it was.

Over and out.
 
Mayhaps you'd like to do the Friday review for the net three weeks, while I am basking in my hard-earned holiday?

Au revoir, in any case.
well that was easy,
so far...at the top 3 by a word wanker
one person made an effort, Kate something. something by another, that person left a comment on someone else's. Tazz didn't get their yet.

Recommendations? go read Demure's from yesterday, Tzara's from two days ago, or check back later to see if Tazz leaves a comment. Or you can snore and wait for the paint to peel.

enjoy your holiday
 
Recommendations for September 8, 2012

There were only five New Poems this Saturday.

Remec's Wistfulness is a softer, more sentimental poem than usually we see from him. It is quite accessible and will hold meaning for anyone who has had a longing to return to childhood.

KateRobertsLutt's No fear is a BDSM relationship poem with graphic depictions, end rhymes and pretty regular metre. For a poem of that genre, it was better than most if only because of the metrical control and concrete descriptions though it does sum up with abstractions at the end, bringing us full circle to the title.

Live4Passion has an interesting short poem in speak, of heart. I personally do not like half-assed punctuation (that is using punctuation some of the time but not all of the time) in a single poem. I prefer open punctuation or classic punctuation. In this I do not enjoy being in a gray area because it does not feel purposeful to me. This feeling was less prevalent while reading this poem, today. Perhaps it is because I am able to see how L4P is using the sometime punctuation to further his voice in the poem. I would be interested to hear what others think about this.

There were a couple of others I wasn't inclined to mention. I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend. Perfect weather, here in NYC. Time to get out and play!
 
Last edited:
Bondage by shewolfwannabe09

A short and simple descriptive about the joy of handcuffs.

Her Lips by DawnJ

DawnJ is a prolific Lit author and poet. This is a very nice piece with crisp imagery.

apple tree by Sakara_Sable

This starts as a clinical description of a love scene and ends with an allegory of the Tree of Knowledge, from Genesis, I assume. I think this piece would work better if the theme where introduced earlier and developed through the lines.

There are three submissions by Demure for us today.

Over #2 by demure101

Travel by demure101


Troubles by demure101

All three continue her current theme of dejected melancholia.

Caught up in my ecstacy by MicahJC
MicahJC is a new lit poet and this is her first submission. It's an interesting use of the the word "ecstasy" as a double metaphor. This is today's recommended read.
 
sorry bronze

between the cracks fell this

Coming to America

byDesejo©

it shouldn't
besides the usual fine writing, she uses a fairly common trick, new writers, think movies, get the visuals, first & last stanzas,
more on this, later.
 
Back
Top