Mastercard launches True Name card to help LGBTQ community

sultrysandy

Moof - Geekette
Joined
Jul 15, 2016
Posts
207,261
.
Mastercard launches True Name cards to make paying with credit cards easier for trans and non-binary communities



vzysYVP.jpg






Mastercard announced on Monday, June 17, its True Name™ card initiative, which will allow for chosen names to appear on the front of consumers’ cards.

Many members in the LGBTQ community, particularly trans and non-binary people, have run into issues purchasing items with a credit card and been faced with discrimination. In fact, Mastercard shared research that found nearly one-third of individuals who have shown IDs with a name or gender that did not match their presentation reported negative experiences, including being harassed, denied services and/or attacked.

Mastercard did some research into its network’s rules to understand if there were requirements for individuals to include their legal names on their cards and found that there weren’t. This spurred the True Name card initiative.

“It first starts with their name, that’s who they are, that’s their identity,” Randall Tucker, chief inclusion officer for Mastercard. With Mastercard True Name “you can choose your name on your credit card, your debit card and your prepaid card, which is amazing.”

Mastercard is hoping this initiative will spark conversation within the industry and is urging other businesses to apply these standards, so financial products can reflect their owners’ true identity.

“We’re paying it forward, not because it’s in vogue, but because it’s who we are as an organization,” Tucker says.

Mastercard plans to have True Name cards on the market by early 2020.

Mastercard also partnered with the New York City Commission on Human Rights to create an all-inclusive version of the iconic street sign at the corner of Gay and Christopher Streets in New York City’s West Village, adding rainbow of street signs for each letter in the LGBTQIA+ acronym. This is just in time for WorldPride — which takes place in New York City this June — and the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots.

“We’re going to be one of those forces for good within our industries,” Tucker says.
.
 
So why can’t you just legally change your name?

That's not always a simple proposition. Some considerations:

- name changes can be expensive, often several hundred dollars processing fees just for the name change plus possible other fees for changing things like passports, getting academic transcripts reissued, ...
- there may be legal obstacles to a name change, e.g. some jurisdictions require that you've lived there for a certain period of time before you can file for name change.
- a legal name change may mess with other things (e.g. a trans guy who changes his name from "Jane" to "John" may find that his health insurance starts denying coverage for things like pap tests)
- a legal name change may out somebody who's not ready to be outed yet (e.g. John is living as a guy outside the workplace, but risks being fired if his boss finds out he's transgender).
 
So when the name on the MC doesnt match your ID and you get refused service, then what? Dumb idea

I'm not sure how that works in the USA or elsewhere: when do you actually have show ID? I thought it would have been for purchasing age-restricted things like drink, car hire maybe..? The MC card will be a huge help for people who just want to buy regular stuff, like groceries without harassment.
 
So when the name on the MC doesnt match your ID and you get refused service, then what? Dumb idea

I use my credit card all the time, and I can't remember the last time anybody asked to see a separate ID - would've been years ago. Does that happen often where you live?
 
I use my credit card all the time, and I can't remember the last time anybody asked to see a separate ID - would've been years ago. Does that happen often where you live?

Buying booze or smokes, otherwise never. then if you show id, then your id wouldn't match the card. I don't get it.
 
Any reason why MC won’t issue a card for "A. G. Someone”? Then Al, who also goes by Grace, can be covered, Grace just says, "I use my middle name." - or vice versa?
 
Buying booze or smokes, otherwise never. then if you show id, then your id wouldn't match the card. I don't get it.

Oh of course - I don't have much occasion to buy those, so I didn't think of that. But those are the sort of purchases where one can usually pay cash.

Any reason why MC won’t issue a card for "A. G. Someone”? Then Al, who also goes by Grace, can be covered, Grace just says, "I use my middle name." - or vice versa?

That seems like it would make a lot of sense, especially for people who only go by their first initials (J.R. Ewing, J.P. Morgan, etc. etc. - there are a couple like that at my work).
 
It might depend what country you're in

"Katie" is a spammer. They have a new thing of posting apparently genuine responses, waiting a few hours, and then going back to edit in spammy links, probably as a way of sneaking past automatic spam detection.
 
But no one asks for a separate ID nowadays. What's the point then? I agree that the cause is a good one, and indeed trans and non-binary people are discriminated most of the time, but there are a lot of details that don't fit in this campaign. I have nothing against Mastercard, I even have a Skrill prepaid Mastercard from https://baxity.com/skrill-mastercard and not only, so I just express my opinion. However, I hope that this campaign will be successful because these people deserve to be treated equally and deserve respect for their decisions.

"Katie" is a spammer. They have a new thing of posting apparently genuine responses, waiting a few hours, and then going back to edit in spammy links, probably as a way of sneaking past automatic spam detection.

^^ So I see, BT - that wasn't the post they made originally. TX
 
^^ So I see, BT - that wasn't the post they made originally. TX

Yeah, seems like they have actual humans writing the posts so there's no easy way to tell until they edit in the spam. I can't imagine it's cost-effective.
 
^^ So I see, BT - that wasn't the post they made originally. TX


Yeah, seems like they have actual humans writing the posts so there's no easy way to tell until they edit in the spam. I can't imagine it's cost-effective.


Appreciate you posting "Katie" is a spammer. BT and SG. You can see chaergergirl erased that post.


If anyone sees SPAM, off-topic, inappropriate, et cetera, posts, in my threads, please let me know to take care of them.


Thanks again
ResEdit.png
Sandy
.
 
Back
Top