son of the isolated blurts thread!

Earlier this week one of my reps held his sweet wife’s hand gently in his, as she slipped quietly away, forced to surrender to that cruel despot, cancer. Our lives it seems, have become very well acquainted with that unwelcome fucker, cancer, over the last couple of years. Enough is enough already.

It was discovered early last year after they’d returned from a short holiday, celebrating forty-five years of marriage. A routine visit to the doctor about a persistent cough led to an x-ray, which revealed a menacing dark cloud that darkened the film image of her lungs, and their thoughts and dreams over the next ten months.

This man has worked for the company I work for for close to thirty years. He was one of the first to welcome me five or so years ago, when I was hired to be his boss, and he and his beautiful wife became great family friends to us over the years. They are particularly fond of our children, and our kids love them to bits.

Family and friends gathered at their home yesterday, to celebrate a life. We nibbled small, triangular sandwiches, drank strong coffee, and picked at foil-covered casseroles and cakes. Guitars came out and we played and sang songs, my friend keeping rhythm remarkably well given the circumstances. After most had left, I sat with my friend and his daughter and we flipped through photo albums, looking at memories of lives remarkably lived.

I borrowed a photograph from an album, something I may use with the paragraph or two I will write, for our company newsletter. It really is an amazing photo. Not because of it’s quality - it has the look, colouring, and graininess of pictures taken with those little Kodak handhelds, with the disposable flash cubes - but because of it’s subject matter. It shows the two of them, arm in arm at a party of some sort, where the men are all dressed in suits and the women look like pretty birthday gifts, with their stylized, coiffed hair and colourful party dresses. I picked this photo because it reveals, in one quick snapshot from decades ago, the early days of their happiness and love, and the origin of the lifelong smiles that shaped the laugh-lines in their faces, and produced the twinkle in their eyes.

I am tremendously sad today, unable to compose a decent group of sentences that look professional, and doesn’t seem to convey my sorrow by their design.

I am away from my wife and kids, traveling for work, and sitting in this airport, I can feel every lonely mile of distance, tugging at my insides, pulling me towards home.
And I can’t stop looking at this photograph.

Fuck cancer.
 
Em, I'm so sorry you and your friend had to endure this - fuck cancer, indeed. Still, I'm glad on his part that you have the capacity to be so kind and generous. I'm sure he appreciates it in ways that he won't be able to express. You're a good man and that matters in this world.
 
My condolences as well Emerson. You are a good friend, and they are as fortunate to have you as you them.
 
Condolences and sympathies, Emerson, to all concerned.

There are circumstances where one does not have to look professional. Write from the heart.
 
Thank you all for your thoughtful postings and PMs.

It has been a hell of a week, and your kind words and heartening messages helped a great deal.

Y'all are the best! :heart:
 
Weren't you hosting high tea today?

Tomorrow. I took today off to prep. My house has been scrubbed into submission, even the pit that babyminx resides in, all my mis en place is done, the battle plan drawn up, and I was starting to flag a tiny bit so I grabbed a brownie, some hot coffee and hopped on here for a couple minutes.
 
Tomorrow. I took today off to prep. My house has been scrubbed into submission, even the pit that babyminx resides in, all my mis en place is done, the battle plan drawn up, and I was starting to flag a tiny bit so I grabbed a brownie, some hot coffee and hopped on here for a couple minutes.

Ah, well that was a good plan. Looking forward to hearing all about the gushing, oohing and aaahhing over your menu items. :rose:
 
Ah, well that was a good plan. Looking forward to hearing all about the gushing, oohing and aaahhing over your menu items. :rose:

Me too. ;) I'm a tired minx and am finally going to bed. I got my list knocked off for today, less one item which I can do while scones are in the oven tomorrow.

I need two large Swedish men to give me a massage, or a good stretch on the rack. :devil:
 
I shouldn't have to be out of bed this early.

And my husband is working a double today, so I probably won't see him until after 3:00.
 
Well since your both awake.... How about a little breakfast in bed? ;)

Hmmm I thinking if you had E and I in a bed together, you would have a lot of O's. I couldn't resist. God I need coffee. You also most likely wouldn't survive it.
 
Hmmm I thinking if you had E and I in a bed together, you would have a lot of O's. I couldn't resist. God I need coffee. You also most likely wouldn't survive it.
Well said. I would hope I gave more o's than received. And I can't think of any better end than that! :D
 
Back
Top