Cell Phones for Seniors?

fire_breeze

Softly Seductive
I have been searching and surfing the net for days with zero results, so I am turning to my techno-savvy How-To compatriots for help!

I am looking for a cell phone for my father that is simple to use; the one that he had is a basic flip-phone, but he did not like it (especially as he had to go into menu, scroll through to find the numbers, press okay, etc). Texting capabilities, while nice, is not a priority. What he needs it for is in case of emergencies, which is why he didn't like the other 'basic' cell phone models (id he needs it in an emergency, he wants to access the contacts easily, not go through a menu).

Originally, I thought a basic mobile, but they are all like what he had, with the going into menu, etc. From my search, I discovered Kisa, and am hoping that there is something similar in Canada, or even in North America?

He doesn't need a plan, so an unlocked phone would be best that he can use his SIM card with. And there is no need for any apps or whatnot. He is also in his 80s, and while he is relatively techno-savvy, I don't want anything complicated. His memory, though very good, isn't as sharp as it used to be and I do want something that has an easy learning curve and has the least steps possible. I want him to have the security that if something happens, he can quickly and efficiently contact someone in his contact list. After all, in cases of emergencies, no one really thinks straight so the less steps, the better.

Any ideas - I would be extremely grateful!

ETA: while I am willing to purchase an American phone, I do need it to work in Canada.
Thank you in advance :rose:

Last edited:

:rose:

Thank you for the link, it was one of the first ones I consulted! Unfortunately, most of the phones mentioned has that feature associated with most simple/flip phones and that is accessing everything from a menu, which is NOT what he needs, unfortunately (which is why Jitterbug is out) :(. Or, those that would be awesome is not available in N. America. Boo.

Ok, hmmmm. What about holding down a number to call someone instead of a menu? Or if he hits the call button once it usually brings up a list of recently dialed numbers. If they all have names that is much easier than hitting a menu button. There is also voice activation where you just say "call mom"

Actually, if you press send it will bring up a list of recently dialed and answered numbers on most phones, no matter their age.

And why are you looking for an old phone?

The younger ones have all the fun.

:D ;)

Oops, didn't see this...sorry.

Ok, hmmmm. What about holding down a number to call someone instead of a menu? Or if he hits the call button once it usually brings up a list of recently dialed numbers. If they all have names that is much easier than hitting a menu button. There is also voice activation where you just say "call mom"

I was in a similar situation with my Mom a few years ago, and ended up getting her the Pantech Breeze III after doing a bit of research. It served her well for a number of years. However, her memory has become so very poor now she cannot remember how to charge it... so even though I haven't been able to call her on it for almost a year, I don't have the heart to shut off her account.

The phones I looked up all have stipulations attached. Isn't it sad that no big company can take a small piece of their total budget and make a simple phone for elderly people and not add phone plans, restrictions, and complicated features?

They are so damn money hungry that they can't even throw a bone to those who need a simple phone with nothing attached.

We should come up with our own brand - NSA Elderly Phone Service!

(To directly answer your question, I was unable to find anything. Maybe if you call a local electronics store, they may be able to assist. Or even tech forums.)

I have a big button phone which is Pay As You Go.

I bought it for my wife to use, but she relies on me to use my basic flip phone (as PAYG).

Then there is Assurance...a free phone and 250 minutes a month...unofficially dubbed the Obama Phone.

Google Assurance. Although it's provided by Virgin Mobile.

Thank you all for your suggestions! They were very useful in helping me decide (which I still haven't, but I am shopping around less frustrated).

Voice activation, unfortunately, is a bit difficult as he does have an accent (hell, voice activation has trouble understanding me at times and my accent is almost non-existant), and the contact names are all not in English.

I did brought up to him the number to press and speed dial but he pointed out when he would use it, it would be in an emergency and he may or may not remember the associated number. He did have a point, as I don't think any one of us really thinks straight when there is a serious emergency.

And I cannot emphasise how much he despised his flip phone. I really think that when it died, he threw a party to celebrate its demise :rolleyes:.

I was in a similar situation with my Mom a few years ago, and ended up getting her the Pantech Breeze III after doing a bit of research. It served her well for a number of years. However, her memory has become so very poor now she cannot remember how to charge it... so even though I haven't been able to call her on it for almost a year, I don't have the heart to shut off her account.

While it is a flip phone, I may look into it and try to convince him otherwise. That said, it seems that Pantech Breeze is associated with AT&T and I cannot find one that is unlocked.

The phones I looked up all have stipulations attached. Isn't it sad that no big company can take a small piece of their total budget and make a simple phone for elderly people and not add phone plans, restrictions, and complicated features?

They are so damn money hungry that they can't even throw a bone to those who need a simple phone with nothing attached.

We should come up with our own brand - NSA Elderly Phone Service!

(To directly answer your question, I was unable to find anything. Maybe if you call a local electronics store, they may be able to assist. Or even tech forums.)

No kidding! When Father approached me about a new phone and told me what he wanted, I thought the same thing as you: a simple phone with no phone plans, restrictions or features. How hard can that be? There is a lot of people who do not want the bells and whistles of a smart phone but like the convenience, legibility and ease of access. So so wrong.

I think it would be a Lit first: a creation of a company :D.

Anyway, end rant and thank you for the idea. I think I will go to office supply stores which tend to have a limited selection of cell phones. Most big-box electronics stores sell contracted phones, which pissed me off beyond belief.

I have a big button phone which is Pay As You Go.

I bought it for my wife to use, but she relies on me to use my basic flip phone (as PAYG).

He does have a PAYG card, which was incredibly great. Maybe a big button phone would be a good idea, if it isn't a flip/menu phone.

Then there is Assurance...a free phone and 250 minutes a month...unofficially dubbed the Obama Phone.

Google Assurance. Although it's provided by Virgin Mobile.

He (as do I) live in Canada: there is no Assurance nor Obama. Additionally, he doesn't need a plan - what he has is good for him.

Thank you all for your suggestions! They were very useful in helping me decide (which I still haven't, but I am shopping around less frustrated).

He (as do I) live in Canada: there is no Assurance nor Obama. Additionally, he doesn't need a plan - what he has is good for him.

Then you are either lucky or not depending on your view of how Obama is doing his job.

I wonder if something like this might be ok for your dad? http://www.oricom.com.au/ezy.html

It's got a feature where if you slide the (inset) help button on the back (it's a deliberate thing you have to do, so is unlikely to go off accidentally) it will automatically ring first one user-designated 'support' number, then another, then another, then another, then another.

I have been searching and surfing the net for days with zero results, so I am turning to my techno-savvy How-To compatriots for help!

I am looking for a cell phone for my father that is simple to use; the one that he had is a basic flip-phone, but he did not like it (especially as he had to go into menu, scroll through to find the numbers, press okay, etc). Texting capabilities, while nice, is not a priority. What he needs it for is in case of emergencies, which is why he didn't like the other 'basic' cell phone models (id he needs it in an emergency, he wants to access the contacts easily, not go through a menu).

Originally, I thought a basic mobile, but they are all like what he had, with the going into menu, etc. From my search, I discovered Kisa, and am hoping that there is something similar in Canada, or even in North America?

He doesn't need a plan, so an unlocked phone would be best that he can use his SIM card with. And there is no need for any apps or whatnot. He is also in his 80s, and while he is relatively techno-savvy, I don't want anything complicated. His memory, though very good, isn't as sharp as it used to be and I do want something that has an easy learning curve and has the least steps possible. I want him to have the security that if something happens, he can quickly and efficiently contact someone in his contact list. After all, in cases of emergencies, no one really thinks straight so the less steps, the better.

Any ideas - I would be extremely grateful!

ETA: while I am willing to purchase an American phone, I do need it to work in Canada.
Thank you in advance :rose:

I know this was originally posted over a year ago, but for anyone who is interested:

As a former customer service rep for a cellphone company, I learned my way around phones. Many smartphones now come with Easy Mode, which is basically a very user-friendly approach to smatphones for the elderly or people with vision or dexterity issues. When enabled, the background is less cluttered, icons are much bigger and easier to touch and see. You can set icons for contacts to call or text or whatever other function you want as an icon. The settings menu is less cluttered as well so you can still access the basic settings. You won't use as much internet. I would go with an older phone, like a Galaxy S4 or a Grand Prime, not a brand new S7 with so many features you won't be using. And do not forget a screen protector and a heavy duty case to protect the phone. The last thing you want is for them to break the phone and have no way of reaching anyone. :rose:

I know this was originally posted over a year ago, but for anyone who is interested:

Likewise, since this is at the top of the page:

I just turned 67 and finally bought a basic cell phone primarily for emergencies. The Phone I settled on is a Samsung "Gusto3" with prepaid plan from Verizon for $30(us)/month. Voice and basic text only. It is capable of multi-media text, email, and internet, but those aren't included in the basic plan I have.

One reason for picking that model was price: the phone was only $9.95 at Best Buy (in Las Vegas).

Another reason for picking this model is the phone has an ICE (In Case of Emergency) button that brings up 911, three emergency contacts, and personal info notes for allergies and other medical info.

It is a basic flip-phone 2" x 4" when closed. It charges from any USB port or charger with a micro-USB cable.

It isn't specifically designed for seniors, but it is sturdy, reliable and fairly easy to use -- although it does rely on menus for everything except the ICE functions.

Back