Star Trek: The New Frontiers (IC)

Captain Torres

Once the last of the senior staff, and a few of their immediate assistants, had made their way into the ready room the Captain began to speak. "I've called for all of you in order to let you know what's going on." he said.

"As Commander T'ker announced 30 minutes ago, the Eldarians will be performing an investigation to ascertain whether we are a species hostile to them. They have informed us that if anyone interferes with or even appears to interfere they will be dealt with quickly and leathaly. It isn't fair by any means, however it is what it is. We're in their space and they have us out gunned, and severely out manned. The other reason I'm willing to put up with this, I just found out about when the Commander returned. It seems the races that seeded our own Galaxy may have originated from here. And that these Eldarians might be one of them, so there is an opertunity here beyond.... Beyond anything any Starfleet vessel has ever encountered before."

He knew he had just thrown a lot at them. In some of their eyes he could see panic, in others uncertainty. "Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. The Commander can answer most of your questions about the Eldarians since she's spent the last week with them."
 
Emily looked around the table,"I don't really see what we can ask questions about, sir. Its a rather black and white scenario. We let them aboard, they do their thing, we shut up and take it and they leave. While at the same time we learn what we can about them. "

Looking around the table she waited for the varied responses,"Unless I am looking at this wrong..." she looked back at the Captain and waited to see wha the would say. She'd not felt a thing speaking, it had come out in a confident manner however now with the silence she was nervous. Not nervous enough to be noticed but she was just the same. She still barely knew the people in the room and they barely knew her.
 
Duncan's face went from serious to sheer disbelief. "Sir pardon me for asking this, but have you lost your bloody wits? Your letting them search the ship and crew to their hearts content for as long as they would like and we are to stand by and do nothing while they are doing it. What is to say that afterwards they wont kill us for the sake of killing us. Or for that matter, killing us so that no one ever hears about them.

Why should we believe anything that these Eldarins are saying and why should we allow them onto our ship. What have they done so far that has been trustworthy. They have come onto our ship, they kidnapped the First Officer, and they left their brute of a henchman to intimidate the crew."
 
Commander A’Lex T’Ker

Commander A’Lex T’Ker
USS Chimera Executive Officer

“We believe the Eldarians, because I’ve spent the last week learning about them, Lieutenant. They wish to confirm that we are not associated with the Humans. The Monn-Keigh as they call them.”

“Arrogance and negative behavior will not award us a peaceable relationship. Nor will an emotional response to their actions.”

“As for their brute of a henchmen, as you called him. He’s a Commodore of their military branch. As such he’ll be given the respect of such a position.”

Breathing slowly, A’Lex didn’t allow the emotion’s coming from the others upset her. At least she did her best not to. After spending a week in the presence of highly emotional Vulc.. Eldarians. Maintaining her own self-control was rather difficult.
 
Captain Torres

Miguel sat and listened to all of them, especially Lieutenant Kahn. Kahn actually reminded him of himself when he was that age. So much so that his concerns had Miguel thinking about about Starfleet's code of conduct.

Article 1: I am a member of Starfleet, fighting in the forces which guard the Federation and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

Article 2: I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.

Article 3: If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and to aid others to escape. I accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

Article 4: If I become a Prisoner of War, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information nor take part in any action which might be harmfull to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them in every way.

Article 5: When questioned, should I become a Prisoner of War, I am required to give NAME, RANK, SERVICE NUMBER, AND DATE OF BIRTH. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to the Federation or its allies or harmful to their cause.

Article 6: I will never forget that I am a member of Starfleet, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made the Federation free.

The problem with the Code, was that Starfleet's General Orders countermanded them.

General Order 17 states that Starfleet vessel captains are to consider the lives of their crew members as sacred. In any potentially hostile situation, the captain will place the lives of his crew above the fate of his ship.

As such Miguel had to do whatever he had to do to keep his people alive. However since they had violated these people's sovereign territory, his options were limited. No the only option left to him was a diplomatic one. "Finding a peaceful resulotion to this situation is our primary goal. No one should be killed as long as we keep control of ourselves. I have every confidence that this will be so, especially with all of you, since you'll be accompanying me to the Eldarian mothership. Full diplomatic protocols will be in effect."
 
Duncan's look was one of extreme displeasure but within his stance was the clear sign that he would follow his orders to the letter even if he didn't approve of them. He looked at the painting, no longer able to look at the other officers while he calmed his mind before turning to look at the Captain.

"Sir, permission to bear light weapons as per Starfleet regulations regarding semi-hostile diplomatic situations."
 
Captain Torres

"That's the sort of request I'd expect from some one in security, and not CONN." Miguel said with a smile. "Your right regulations do allow for the issuing of a phaser, whether it be a type 1 or type 2 phaser. However I'll be using my discretion on this and we won't be taking any phasers with us. However if you want to carry a blade in your boot, or some where out of sight, I will allow that." he told them all.
 
"Aye sir, it is were it not circumstances similar to this and also due to the reason of the way my father raised me. A Klingon doesnt walk into something like this blind, I may not be Klingon by blood, but I am by the way I was raised." He raised his right hand into the air, wrist facing towards the Captain and there on his wrist was the Trifoil of the Klingon Empire branded into his skin by a red hot emblem on a console on the Blue Fire.

The showing of the trifoil was directed more so to himself but also a bit towards the Captain as a sign of his dedication to Starfleet.

"Dress uniforms, Sir?"
 
Captain Torres

Miguel shook his head. "No standard uniform should be fine. If things go well and there's a more formal meeting later, perhaps." Miguel replied. In truth he really didn't want to wear that uniform, never liked how it fit around his neck.

He ahd tried several times having the neck part enlarged, but then the uniform wouldn't look right on him. On top of that he'd have to decide if they should wear ribbons or not. No it was far easier to not wear the dress uniforms, unless they absolutely had to.

"Remember it's just like Lieutenant Star said. It's pretty straight forward. We'll go over there, while they send people here. They'll conduct their investigation, and as long as we do nothing provacative we should be fine. We'll prove to them that we aren't like this race they think we are, and then maybe we can get their help on getting us back home. Unless there's any other questions, your all dismissed until it's time to go over to the Eldarian ship."

<tags>
 
Back
Top