Do you care about your score?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You're very courageous!

My Grandfather's first language was German though he was born here and his parents were too. When he spoke German in front of more newly arrived German immigrants they couldn't help but laugh. Languages change a lot in a surprisingly short time. His was the German of at least a hundred years previous.

The French laugh at me, or if they are polite just have a WTF? look, whenever I speak French in France.

My final academic study of French was in Australia many decades ago. Even the French teachers there spoke French with an Australian accent. Why not? The nearest French-speaking territory was over a thousand miles away, had a tiny population, and didn't speak the French of France. Before Australia my previous French teacher was a Yorkshireman with a broad Yorkshire accent when he spoke French.

Even now I still speak French with the Australian accent I've lost when speaking English. That and my 18th Century vocabulary confuses the French in Nord Pas de Calais. They speak French with their own accent which is as far from standard French as Yorkshire is from Received Pronunication English.

They get confused even more when my wife speaks. She speaks educated upper-class Parisian French with a cut-glass accent rarely heard in that part of France. They think she must be a French aristo married to an Australian hick. :eek:

The French laugh at me, or if they are polite just have a WTF? look, whenever I speak French in France.

My final academic study of French was in Australia many decades ago. Even the French teachers there spoke French with an Australian accent. Why not? The nearest French-speaking territory was over a thousand miles away, had a tiny population, and didn't speak the French of France. Before Australia my previous French teacher was a Yorkshireman with a broad Yorkshire accent when he spoke French.

Even now I still speak French with the Australian accent I've lost when speaking English. That and my 18th Century vocabulary confuses the French in Nord Pas de Calais. They speak French with their own accent which is as far from standard French as Yorkshire is from Received Pronunication English.

They get confused even more when my wife speaks. She speaks educated upper-class Parisian French with a cut-glass accent rarely heard in that part of France. They think she must be a French aristo married to an Australian hick. :eek:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I can only imagine. So funny. Even though we're the only ones who speak English without an accent we aren't strong on languages- unless we're talking strong language.

Which score? The stars system is less important that the number of readers. That gives me feedback on the Title, and the category. What do people like to read? Okay, start there.

Comments. That's what I care about, the more specific, the better. I'd rather get criticism than "Great story!" or 5 stars.

Which score? The stars system is less important that the number of readers. That gives me feedback on the Title, and the category. What do people like to read? Okay, start there.

Comments. That's what I care about, the more specific, the better. I'd rather get criticism than "Great story!" or 5 stars.

I feel the same way. An honest critique of my stories drives me to improve my writing.

If all I ever received was praise, what else would motivate me to improve and become a better writer?

A meaningless score beside it tells me nothing useful to improve my writing. Some would say otherwise.

Some stories in certain categories don’t stay in the headlines long enough to get enough readers to read them or accumulate enough votes to accurately reflect the overall story’s quality. From time to time, backlogs of stories push several stories out all at once and some show up half way down the page.

We get scored on this site? Where do I find that?

266x200bb.jpeg

As long as it gets a red H, I'm good. The actual score doesn't worry me so much. I used to be riveted to them, but now I'm more focused on my writing and I place more value on comments from you guys than on the scores themselves - as long as there's that red H that is :D

I don't even really are about getting "Out there." I wrote on ASSTR without any "Score" whatsoever except for a monthly Usage Details sheet, and I saved all of them. I still read them, but it's an Archive. It's basically free storage other people can read. It's still a place I can visit, and read my work, especially my early work (Which is honestly better, and more popular than what I write today, because I quit writing Serial Killers. To date, my most popular work is "Hunger and Heroin." It's about a serial killer/rapist, and it's been copied all over the 'net for decades.)

I just checked my "Score" page this morning, and there was no appreciable change. The number of times read is in the thousands, so even the newest one is 14.8k. My typical reaction is "Huh." Then back to writing. If my Stars goes up by a percentile point, the reaction is still typically "Huh." Go back to writing.

There's honestly no meaning to your score beyond someone seems to have liked it. Once. It's not important. It's interesting, but not important. Honestly, the only time I even get excited is when I see a new comment, because that means Real feedback. Stats are pretty meaningless.

I guess I don't really care so much but it does bug me that a few of my poems got super bad ratings. Then again, I did write those for me. And another odd thing. I've had several people tell me that my most recent story is my best. One even said it was the best story he had read here. And yet? It got the lowest rating of all my stories.

I've had several people tell me that my most recent story is my best. One even said it was the best story he had read here.
Lol. Probably the same bloke who's said that for three or four of my stories. There's a silent "today" at the end of the sentence ;).

I have no interest in scores. I don't submit my stories to be in a competitive contest. But I do appreciate comments, and take pleasure is seeing how many people have read my stories - although the numbers don't prove they have read the stories in full, they might have dumped them after a couple of paragraphs for all I know.

Do others find their votes not accepted?

Slightly tangential. I do most of my reading on my iPhone using the I.literotica sub version. In many cases when I try and record a score it does not work. Never Ben able to figure out why.
Does the site use 3rd party cookies or something else that runs foul of basic privacy? (I allow normal cookies).

Reason I raise matter is to question how many genuine votes don't get recorded

Slightly tangential. I do most of my reading on my iPhone using the I.literotica sub version. In many cases when I try and record a score it does not work. Never Ben able to figure out why.
Does the site use 3rd party cookies or something else that runs foul of basic privacy? (I allow normal cookies).

Reason I raise matter is to question how many genuine votes don't get recorded

Yes, I've had that problem before, too. Also can't change the score once you've scored it, so I avoid scoring from my phone, as I've given out 4s I didn't intend to (instead of 5s) when the app jumped around.

Yes, I've had that problem before, too. Also can't change the score once you've scored it, so I avoid scoring from my phone, as I've given out 4s I didn't intend to (instead of 5s) when the app jumped around.

The irony in that is - it wouldn’t be a mobile phone if it didn’t jump around. Someone is bound to call me a mobile T-girl now🌹even though I don’t use T-mobile... Hahaha Kant👠👠👠

I used to teach at a community college, and the students gave end-of-term course evaluations that essentially use the same scoring system with comments. I saw it as a tool for improvement, and welcomed the feedback to make me a better teacher. I figured this would be the same, and hoped my story would be read by enough people that I would get some idea where I could improve. I have been a "Lurker" on Lit for years; I just enjoyed reading stories, and almost never voted or gave feedback. I finally set up an account, and my first story went live a week ago.
Now, it's like a drug. I keep checking the scores on my stories, even though I know I care far too much.

Back