The Crap We Watch

Kind of had that same response at first, I'll admit, but it grew on me. (Come to think of it... Red Dwaf had to do the same thing, actually.)

I had the good fortune to read the book before I saw any of the series. That helped. ;)

Eventually, though, the show took itself too seriously. It wasn't as much fun to watch after the sixth season.

Texas Rising

Maybe not as big a deal for those who don't call this beautiful state home, but I'm thinking this multi-part series on the History channel is going to be pretty damn good. And violent. And gory. And heart-wrenching.

Texas Rising

The series focuses on the events after the fall of the Alamo, leading up to the Battle of San Jacinto and the establishment of the Republic of Texas, with particular focus on the formation of the Texas Rangers. Bill Paxton plays General Sam Houston (to whom, Paxton claims, to be distantly related) and other cast members include Brendan Frasier, Ray Liotta, Olivier Martinez and Kris Kristofferson (as Andrew Jackson; he also contributed to the soundtrack, which includes a moody and stirring rendition of Tom Petty's "Won't Back Down").

I have no doubt the series will be taking liberties with the interpretation of historical events; the History Channel, though, is a little more conscientious in my opinion than many others out there. The series is directed by Roland Joffe and produced by the same folks who did Hatfields & McCoys, which was a pretty damn good series, too (starring Kevin Costner).

I'm going to be recording this one.

Today I started watching two movies...

Ex Machina and Project Almanac...

Ex Machina, I got bored about twenty minutes in, but kept watching just in case it turned out good. It didn't. The banter between the robot and the kid was truly well written, but boring. I have to give it two thumbs down.

Project Almanac, again, I got bored about fifteen minutes in. Too much up front crap. After half an hour, I quit watching and did some writing. I got 3,000 very exciting words written. Project get a thumbs down for failing to keep my interest.

Today I started watching two movies...

Ex Machina and Project Almanac...

Ex Machina, I got bored about twenty minutes in, but kept watching just in case it turned out good. It didn't. The banter between the robot and the kid was truly well written, but boring. I have to give it two thumbs down.

Project Almanac, again, I got bored about fifteen minutes in. Too much up front crap. After half an hour, I quit watching and did some writing. I got 3,000 very exciting words written. Project get a thumbs down for failing to keep my interest.

Project Almanac was on my radar, and I'm still interested in it. But I'll take your words as a cautionary warning. ;)

Project Almanac was on my radar, and I'm still interested in it. But I'll take your words as a cautionary warning. ;)

Sorry, but you may find it interesting...I was just in a mood yesterday. I may go back and try both again when I'm in a better mood.

Next on the horizon - Chappie.

I refuse to watch sitcoms with their canned laughter. If something is funny, then I will laugh. I don't need some writer telling me something is funny, that's insulting my intelligence.

I'm a fan of What's My Car Worth, Overhaulin', Wheeler Dealers, This Old House, and Garage Squad.

Okay...two new movies today.

Kingsmen The Secret Service...Actually I really liked this movie. It was way hokey in spots, but that just made if all the better. It is mostly a British cast with Samuel L. Jackson as the villain. SLJ seems to be phoning in this one though...not up to some of his greats. The rest of the cast is just fine and does a good job.

LA Apocalypse...I didn't even last fifteen minutes with this stinker. Then when Teal'c(Christopher Judge) appeared using half ass equipment when he's supposed to be in the National Guard...I just had to click STOP. Another stinker brought to you by Cinetel Films and Doomed Pictures.

Okay...two new movies today.

Kingsmen The Secret Service...Actually I really liked this movie. It was way hokey in spots, but that just made if all the better. It is mostly a British cast with Samuel L. Jackson as the villain. SLJ seems to be phoning in this one though...not up to some of his greats. The rest of the cast is just fine and does a good job.

I've been looking forward to Kingsman since first seeing the trailers. I'm hoping it won't be too long before it shows up on Encore or IFC or one of the other channels I get.

Regarding Samuel L. Jackson . . . I've ceased being impressed by the guy ever since he started showing up in just about every freakin' movie made in the last ten years or so. I don't know if it's because he works cheap or he has a serious case of narcissism, but the fact that he's everywhere pretty much ruins his appearances for me. It's not enough to make me avoid any movies he's in, but his roles seem largely forgettable. I prefer the Pulp Fiction/Unbreakable SLJ, when he was trying to act.

LA Apocalypse...I didn't even last fifteen minutes with this stinker. Then when Teal'c(Christopher Judge) appeared using half ass equipment when he's supposed to be in the National Guard...I just had to click STOP. Another stinker brought to you by Cinetel Films and Doomed Pictures.

Unfortunately, Stargate doesn't seem to have done anything for Judge. I loved him as Teal'C, but I've seen him in several SyFy Channel movies since then and while he's usually the most competent actor in the cast, the movies he's made have been terrible. Mechashark vs. Megashark . . . I can only assume he needed the paycheck.

I've been looking forward to Kingsman since first seeing the trailers. I'm hoping it won't be too long before it shows up on Encore or IFC or one of the other channels I get.

Regarding Samuel L. Jackson . . . I've ceased being impressed by the guy ever since he started showing up in just about every freakin' movie made in the last ten years or so. I don't know if it's because he works cheap or he has a serious case of narcissism, but the fact that he's everywhere pretty much ruins his appearances for me. It's not enough to make me avoid any movies he's in, but his roles seem largely forgettable. I prefer the Pulp Fiction/Unbreakable SLJ, when he was trying to act.

Unfortunately, Stargate doesn't seem to have done anything for Judge. I loved him as Teal'C, but I've seen him in several SyFy Channel movies since then and while he's usually the most competent actor in the cast, the movies he's made have been terrible. Mechashark vs. Megashark . . . I can only assume he needed the paycheck.

Actually, I liked Samuel J in The Avengers and the other Marvel franchises he has been in. There were several other movies he did a good job in early in his career, before he became a "superstar" type actor. I did like him Pulp. His first dud I believe was Snakes on the Plane. What a stinker.

As for Judge and several other Stargate actors, I believe they had an obligation to make those picture for SyFy, something to do with contracts, etc. And they probably needed the money as they were kind of type cast and everyone would see them as their characters in Stargate and that all.

Alright...Echo to Earth...this one has been out for awhile. I watched it once, then I thought it might need a second watching...

I was wrong, it was still a stinker. The special effects even stunk...stank...whatever. It was terrible. A bad copy of ET and Batteries Not Included. If you haven't seen this one and are planning on buying it, DON'T. Wait until it comes to network TV and it's free.

I don't have regular cable anymore, but I watch Netflix a lot. I've been binge watching Star Trek The Next Generation and Bill Nye the Science Guy, as well as watching old episodes of WWE Raw and Pay Per Views on the WWE Network.

Starship Rising - Typical B movie from the sixties but not as good as those old classic B movies. Stay away, unless you like bad Sci-Fi

Alien Outpost - I really don't know about this one, I got bored with the character studies that seemed to be building up to nothing. It's your choice.

Chappie - Made in the style of District 9. Wasn't bad, but wasn't good either. It at least held my attention and I watched it to its end. All in all it was all right, I might just watch it again to see anything that I missed.

Next up Battle for Skyark

All right...a few new TV series everyone might be interested in.

Blindspot The pilot episode premiered a couple of weeks ago. The series started yesterday (21st). Not a bad premise. The leads are solid actors. I liked the pilot episode. Everything was solid and tight.

Minority Report This is a continuation of the movie that started Tom Cruise. It was okay. The premise is one of the pre-cogs comes back to the city to try and help prevent some of the crimes he sees being committed. It to premiered yesterday (21st). I will be watching this one for the time being.

Limitless This one too is a continuation of the movie. Now the Government uses NZT to enhance its agents, until they started dying. They find someone that is immune to the side effects of NZT. He isn't, but is given an injection by the guy from the movie who is now a U.S. Senator that will keep him from dying from those side effects. I'll watch the second episode at least before I pass judgement.

Sorry, I haven't time to watch crap on TV. I am busy playing zither.

Who said anything about watching it on TV? With a dual screen computer I can put the downloaded mp4 of that show on one screen and do whatever I have to do on the other. No TV involved. Also no bothersome commercials.

And I love the zither. :rolleyes:

Who said anything about watching it on TV? With a dual screen computer I can put the downloaded mp4 of that show on one screen and do whatever I have to do on the other. No TV involved. Also no bothersome commercials.

And I love the zither. :rolleyes:

You mean, like this [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oEsWi88Qv0 ]

Lovely.
He occasionally played at a local restaurant in Bournemouth in the 50s.
Sadly, I was too young to go listen.

Two movies...

Tomorrowland - George Clooney and Hugh Laurie together. You think the picture would be good, huh? It was...okay. The film dealt with alternate dimensions and a machine to predict what would happen to earth. Not going to give away the ending. The acting was okay, not spectacular. It was however...entertaining, which is what a movie is supposed to be.

Pixel - Not great, but not a stinker. Funny and FX were pretty good. I've got nothing else on this one. Y'all have seen the commercials. I'm not really an Adam Sandler or Kevin James fan, but neither turned me off so I was able to watch the entire film.

Quantico - Looks interesting, yet kind of like 24 where the entire season is about one thing. At least that's what it is looking like. Yeah, I got that from the first episode. I don't know how long it will entertain me though.

Last edited:
This thread seems appropriate to describe Doctor Foster on BBC1 TV. Beware USA you might get this.

It tells the tale of a paranoid Doctor who finds her husband is having an affair. Not only does she break every ethical rule in the book but so do all her practice partners. Watch this and you will never tell your doctor anything ever again. Of course, she then becomes just as bigger slut as her husband, worse actually because she does it to gain advantage.
I thought I was watching a screen creation of a not all that good Loving wives story.
My wife is a great fan of the lead actress and that is the only reason why we got past the first episode.

Last edited:
I had the good fortune to read the book before I saw any of the series. That helped. ;)

Eventually, though, the show took itself too seriously. It wasn't as much fun to watch after the sixth season.

The book of Red Dwarf that I saw had nothing whatever to do with the TV programmes. Do tell me more please.

Back