Another one bites the dust...

Well, it's not all the different from the attitude lots of folks take toward copyrighted written material, songs, and photos/drawings. If it belongs to me, I'll scream bloody murder if someone rips it off, but it I'm the one doing the ripping off, it's free game.

Absolutely. People will call someone out for shoplifting have no issue downloading songs from pirate music sites or making copies of pirated DVD's while the movie is still in the theater

I find myself conflicted on the subject of copying Lit stories of favorite authors.

I am not in the business of selling my work, so maybe I have a fundamentally different perspective from folks who are putting themselves out into the commercial world on a regular basis. For them, ownership is everything.

Nevertheless, it fries my bacon completely when someone tries to pass my hard work off as their own, either for credit or profit. Those subhumans should be smeared with honey and staked out over a fire ant nest. That behavior was, is and always will be completely wrong and indefensible.

However, it seems to me that wanting your own copy of an author's freely and publicly available work is an ultimate compliment. It's also natural to want to let other folks know about a writer who you think is really good and has given you pleasure with his/her works - you want to share that good feeling and somehow it seems only right that this person's work continues to get the recognition you feel it deserves.

When you connect with a reader through one of your stories, that reader often feels they have a piece of you and a sort of one-sided "relationship" is formed. I think this can lead to a feeling of ownership, even though there has not been a financial transaction. That in turn may lead to feeling it's okay to keep someone's work alive after they have departed the web site for non-commercial reasons.

So, what constitutes ownership of something net-published for free reading?

I know that if I pull all my works off Lit tomorrow, they'll resurface, either through the web archive or outright misappropriation. It seems likely that doing so might actually increase the likelihood that someone else would try to pass them off as their own, especially in a venue like Amazon.com (don't get me started.)

I would really hate to see AWT's work ripped off in this fashion. Given what we think we know about his situation, that would make me really angry. AWT has a legacy here on Lit. That's never going to go away. He had his reasons for ending his relationship with the website, which should be respected.

Where I have angst about the whole situation is when I think about someone inevitably pirating his works. With his postings down, there now isn't a good way to out any of the plagiarists that we will undoubtedly be seeing in the future. Where's the line in the sand here? Knowing that the web is forever, does it begin and end with respecting his wishes that his stories are no longer visible on Lit? OTOH, as a community of admirers and colleagues, it would be a lot easier to protect his legacy if there was still a record of his work.

Gotta love those muddy waters of the internet.

I'm glad you brought up the angle of someone selling his stories with him "not around" to defend it. I'm sure it happens all the time.

A friend of mine who reads here was talking about how amazed he is people aren't doing that all the time, finding stories that are ten years old and the author has not been here in years.

Of course look no further than the Evelyn Turner incident from a few months ago and for the record? Amazon has left her account intact despite dozens of reports of her stealing including reports from publishers who represent that author. :rolleyes:

I mentioned at one point I was thinking of doing a couple of anthologies for sale and had asked a few authors here if they were interested in giving me a story to use and I would split the royalties, it wouldn't have been much most likely, but would have been a way for them to say they were published and who knows?

AWT told me to pick any two stories and to have them for free he wanted no money from it and wished me luck. I wouldn't do that, even with his full permission I won't profit off of someone else without giving them something.

I had forgotten about them until now, I have "Painting Mom" and "Tied Mom"

Looking at the way some of these Jackals are acting I could probably sell them to them:rolleyes:

I find myself conflicted on the subject of copying Lit stories of favorite authors.

The objection that was brought up here (at least my perspective of it) wasn't about keeping a copy for yourself--it was in disseminating it to others after the author had clearly signaled he/she wasn't disseminating it anymore.

There might be issues as well about ethically keeping a copy after it's obviously been pulled back by the author, but I don't think that was what the objection was (at least not mine).

The objection that was brought up here (at least my perspective of it) wasn't about keeping a copy for yourself--it was in disseminating it to others after the author had clearly signaled he/she wasn't disseminating it anymore.

There might be issues as well about ethically keeping a copy after it's obviously been pulled back by the author, but I don't think that was what the objection was (at least not mine).

Because its obvious in the pulling of the stories that AWT no longer wanted his works read I thought about approaching Laurel with the wayback link and asking her to contact them and have them pulled.

Seeing they were from her site I think she could do it. The folks there are very careful with not getting in trouble, but the key point there is would she make the effort....

I think we know the answer, so I didn't bother getting myself aggravated.

alwayswantedto is a popular and well-loved Lit author, and we are sad that he left. It was, however, his choice and we always honor the choice of authors regardless of their reasons. We feel lucky that he decided to publish his works here for as long as he did, and I know that many Lit readers feel the same.

This specific author aside (we won't comment on his specific request out of respect for his privacy) - I think the issue of an independent author's legacy in the digital era is interesting. If you're famous - Steven King, Michael Crichton, J. K. Rowling, Oscar Wilde - then your legacy is mostly out of your hands. You've created work that will live on long after you do, like it or not.

However, for independent authors who have not reached a certain level of fame, what happens to your work after you're no longer around becomes a bigger question. Over the 15+ years of Lit history, we've heard from many authors who've either had serious health problems or who were reaching a certain age at which they began to think about their mortality and legacy.

Authors contemplating their mortality who have reached out to Lit generally make one of two requests.

Some authors let us know that they want their works to remain online forever as a part of their legacy as a human being. They are proud of their writing, and they want it to represent them after they are gone.

Other authors will ask us to remove all of their works, often because they don't want their family or loved ones to feel uncomfortable after they are gone. They are often sad about removing the work - of which they themselves are proud - but they feel that unpublishing is the best choice for their situation.

There is also a third group. Some authors simply die of a heart attack, accident, sudden illness, or other unexpected reason. In these cases, the authors themselves can't contact us, so generally the stories just live on. In several cases, we have had family members contact us to let us know about the passing. They either give their blessing to the works remaining online forever, or request that we remove them. In cases where the author is no longer around to make a decision her/himself, we respect the wishes of close family members.

When we started Literotica, we never ever expected to have to think about life and death issues. It's an awe-inspiring thought that what people publish here (or on ASSTR, NIFTY, etc.) has the potential to live on long after the person themselves has passed away, to become part of their legacy.

I'm not sure what percentage of Literotica authors have ever given this issue any thought, but it's definitely something that we think about as it comes up pretty regularly behind the scenes these days.

the rambler

he was a good writer "the rambler" was one of my favorite and i could go back and read it over and over again and always enjoyed it.

Oh please, only the good die young, you'll at the least make the century mark;)

*snort* Hey, pot. That's a black kettle over there. :p

I was actually gone for a bit due to health concerns and money concerns myself and didn't think I would ever be back. I missed realizing that AlwaysWantedTo was gone from these hallowed pages until this thread was rezzed. Now that I know, the place seems just a tad emptier.

I have it

That's two who have not read the whole thread.

Mfhtoor and xin8nix, can you do that please; and respect the author's right to pull down their material and NOT have it circulated against their wishes.

My official statement: I post stories to LIT because I want them here. I removed my song / poetry catalog because I had other options. But my stories are here and shall remain here. I don't know how much longer I have -- from a month to 2050 and beyond -- but unless I say otherwise, they remain. Go ahead, torture yourselves.

My official statement: I post stories to LIT because I want them here. I removed my song / poetry catalog because I had other options. But my stories are here and shall remain here. I don't know how much longer I have -- from a month to 2050 and beyond -- but unless I say otherwise, they remain. Go ahead, torture yourselves.

I suspect that at some point I will be banned from Lit. and the 1,001 stories that are my goal (and that I'm closing on) will be deleted by the banning. ;) Most of them can be found somewhere else, though.

I suspect that at some point I will be banned from Lit. and the 1,001 stories that are my goal (and that I'm closing on) will be deleted by the banning. ;) Most of them can be found somewhere else, though.

Guess I need to read your shit at some point...

Reading through this thread again made me remember how much I enjoyed alwayswantedto's stories.

Thanks for whoever it was that bumped it up.

Maybe I should write some m/s stories/

I've always liked this post below.

And it is an interesting thought, that these stories will always live on as part of a 'legacy' (for some authors more than others, obviously)

When I first started writing, this hadn't even come to mind. Now, to be totally honest, it does. And it inspires to keep on writing more.

alwayswantedto is a popular and well-loved Lit author, and we are sad that he left. It was, however, his choice and we always honor the choice of authors regardless of their reasons. We feel lucky that he decided to publish his works here for as long as he did, and I know that many Lit readers feel the same.

This specific author aside (we won't comment on his specific request out of respect for his privacy) - I think the issue of an independent author's legacy in the digital era is interesting. If you're famous - Steven King, Michael Crichton, J. K. Rowling, Oscar Wilde - then your legacy is mostly out of your hands. You've created work that will live on long after you do, like it or not.

However, for independent authors who have not reached a certain level of fame, what happens to your work after you're no longer around becomes a bigger question. Over the 15+ years of Lit history, we've heard from many authors who've either had serious health problems or who were reaching a certain age at which they began to think about their mortality and legacy.

Authors contemplating their mortality who have reached out to Lit generally make one of two requests.

Some authors let us know that they want their works to remain online forever as a part of their legacy as a human being. They are proud of their writing, and they want it to represent them after they are gone.

Other authors will ask us to remove all of their works, often because they don't want their family or loved ones to feel uncomfortable after they are gone. They are often sad about removing the work - of which they themselves are proud - but they feel that unpublishing is the best choice for their situation.

There is also a third group. Some authors simply die of a heart attack, accident, sudden illness, or other unexpected reason. In these cases, the authors themselves can't contact us, so generally the stories just live on. In several cases, we have had family members contact us to let us know about the passing. They either give their blessing to the works remaining online forever, or request that we remove them. In cases where the author is no longer around to make a decision her/himself, we respect the wishes of close family members.

When we started Literotica, we never ever expected to have to think about life and death issues. It's an awe-inspiring thought that what people publish here (or on ASSTR, NIFTY, etc.) has the potential to live on long after the person themselves has passed away, to become part of their legacy.

I'm not sure what percentage of Literotica authors have ever given this issue any thought, but it's definitely something that we think about as it comes up pretty regularly behind the scenes these days.

Not sure if it's him or not, but all of his stories have been posted at StoriesOnline under his name, the last one just 3 days ago.

Can anyone post a archive of alwayswantedto stories and turniphead stories? I really really really loved them
If you google alwayswantedto you can find an old page with his stories. But it looks like they've been deleted from Lit.

Back