About translation problem

gxnn

Really Really Experienced
English to me and the people living around me is a foreign language. Please help me if you are a native speaker. Thanks.

In my city, on the bus one often can hear the warning from the paging(the loudspeaker): "The vehicle is to move and you should sit, stand or hold something steady." And you know it is a safety warning. Well, that is my translation directly from the original, if in good English, what should it be?

Another example is that I have to write in a notice to foreigners attending a formal event to get on the shuttle bus infront of the hotel they stay in the morning. They cannot get on the coach and leave individually but collectively or as a group. So how should I put the meaning fully, concisely and properly in the notice?

English to me and the people living around me is a foreign language. Please help me if you are a native speaker. Thanks.

In my city, on the bus one often can hear the warning from the paging(the loudspeaker): "The vehicle is to move and you should sit, stand or hold something steady." And you know it is a safety warning. Well, that is my translation directly from the original, if in good English, what should it be?

Another example is that I have to write in a notice to foreigners attending a formal event to get on the shuttle bus infront of the hotel they stay in the morning. They cannot get on the coach and leave individually but collectively or as a group. So how should I put the meaning fully, concisely and properly in the notice?

I'm assuming that you're about to write a story with those bus elements. Formal announcements are usually short and to-the-point. Yours is....a bit too long. Here's what you wrote:

The vehicle is to move and you should sit, stand or hold something steady.

Here's what I'd have written:

The vehicle is about to move. Please sit, stand or hold something steady.

Public announcements are usually short, imperative sentences so that the masses can grasp them easily even if they've missed a few words.

As for the notice, it'd be something like:

Your shuttle will arrive at _____ AM. Everyone is requested to board the bus(es) by ____AM.

That's it. Hope that helped.

Back