Rejected on 4th story, looking for an editor

I have every copy of Webster's going back to the seventh edition (1961). We are now in the eleventh edition. None of them list "sling-back" (they don't list "slingback" either, which is why I consulted commercial use).

This is just Elfin making it up as she goes along, as usual.

Computer spell check programs have hyphenation all messed up. They can't handle the volume of programing needed to reflect a dynamic and cobbled-together language like English. Just use the dictionary (which doesn't use hyphens unless it can't avoid doing so).

The point here is that if Elfin says you're doing something wrong and doesn't provide a citation backing her up, by all means go look for a second opinion.

Clearly in your double life you don't use women's shoe shops. Whatever the dessicated crumblies in your academic ivory tower pontificate, most shoe shops/manufacturers vary between a single word, or hyphenated, or two separate words. Websters can never keep pace and their view is only a reflection of past orthography.

I only gave the suggestion of adding the hyphen because Word demanded it.

You are right sr, Webster's has no idea of women's shoes or current reality. Your admission the dictionary doesn't recognise the word merely confirms your remoteness from current writing.
 
As I posted some time ago, google seems to be everyone's friend except Elfin's. I'll bet if I walk into a shoe store, it will bear google out, as well.

I'm not surprised, either, that she's contemptuous of using the dictionary as a spelling authority. (Not that it's any help on this word, of course--as I noted before going to look at the commerical use of the word.)
 
Last edited:
Editors are editors NOT anything else. The only qualification for the job is to own the medium or sleep with the owner. Editors make loads of errors, youll find the errors in almost any medium, almost any time you look. Whole books address editor goofs. If youre good enough the best remedy for editor incompetence is to go elsewhere. The best writers walk, sooner or later; the hacks remain, and appease the editors. Thats the way it is.
 
As I posted some time ago, google seems to be everyone's friend except Elfin's. I'll bet if I walk into a shoe store, it will bear google out, as well.

I'm not surprised, either, that she's contemptuous of using the dictionary as a spelling authority. (Not that it's any help on this word, of course--as I noted before going to look at the commerical use of the word.)

SR, why are you such an asshole? We were friends at one point. You were so overwhelmed with our relationship you even sent me a PM.
 
I have every copy of Webster's going back to the seventh edition (1961). We are now in the eleventh edition. None of them list "sling-back" (they don't list "slingback" either, which is why I consulted commercial use).

This is just Elfin making it up as she goes along, as usual.

The point here is that if Elfin says you're doing something wrong and doesn't provide a citation backing her up, by all means go look for a second opinion.

We try to tolerate sr's peccadillos and orgasmic regard for out-of-date references from dusty tomes but, unless he now frequents ladies shoe shops, 'slings', 'sling backs' and 'sling-backs' are common currency with Jimmy Choo, Stella McCartney and Louboutin - amongst others. Sure, slingbacks exist as well.

The spelling is open to question and Webster's is a long way behind the curve - like sr.
 
The Oxford comma

I personally prefer the Oxford comma for clarity, but we don't reject a story for its use or non-use.

Oxford-Comma-Stalin-Hitler-Strippers.jpg

I know it was a long time ago but I was always taught (in the UK) that using and precluded the use of the comma especially in lists. In the case of your chosen phrase the extra comma covers up the fact that it is badly ordered. Stalin,Hitler and the strippers is just as clear as Stalin,Hitler,and the strippers, without the extra comma.

Then again perhaps my English teacher was right. Perhaps I should avoid all things that involve writing. Come on trolls, you can't ignore an opportunity like that.
 
As usual, Elfin has gone beyond tiresome and ridiculous with the slingback/sling-back issue and circled back to bite herself on the ass. This started with her posting to the OP that "slingback" was a misspelling; that it had to be "sling-back." Whether Elfin even realized it or not, she now is saying the OP's spelling was as good as any other. So, this is her mudpuddle she's wallowing in.
 
Back
Top