Nerd Power!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonders what the critia for geekness.. I'm not into gaming(other than original nintendo) or computers but I would define myself as a bio geek. I can skin a cat in less than 10 minutes(was a TA for 3 years in an Anatomy Lab)...

Wonders what the critia for geekness.. I'm not into gaming(other than original nintendo) or computers but I would define myself as a bio geek. I can skin a cat in less than 10 minutes(was a TA for 3 years in an Anatomy Lab)...

tolyk said:
A bump for a good thread :D

A bump from the one and only Tolyk?
Truly a good day for the nerds.

And don't worry about the double post, Micro.
I'll forgive you this time.
Bio major? Definitely nerd material.

... How good are you with genetics?

s73v3r said:
That is fine. I was mainly talking to Geeks who haven't passed on their proud Geek heritage. It appears as if you both have done your part to spread Geekiness to the next generation :)

You can pass on that geek heritage by mentoring geeks and nerds who don't know they are one. Wish I had a mentor when I found out...lol. Sob... all the pressure of learning to debug games all by myself... :rolleyes:

Found this joke and thought it was hilarious! so lets see how many closet bio geeks we have in here..

Q: As what did the antibody go to the Halloween costume party?
A: As an "immunogobulin"

anyone know why the Antibody went as a immunoglobulin??
wow.. i really am a geek..

microbiology311 said:
Found this joke and thought it was hilarious! so lets see how many closet bio geeks we have in here..

Q: As what did the antibody go to the Halloween costume party?
A: As an "immunogobulin"

anyone know why the Antibody went as a immunoglobulin??
wow.. i really am a geek..
Okie. I want to know..

Immunoglobulins are glycoproteins in the immunoglobulin superfamily that function as antibodies. So basically they are the same thing.. so yeah.. I think my "geekiness" has officially came out of the closet!

Hehe......It's fun to say immunoglobulin.

Interesting to know, though Micro.

Tabletop nerd checking in here. That's right, I roll dice and keep track of hit points on paper.

Also a computer nerd, so I know that 01 makes ten.

I love that Hacker shirt!

microbiology311 said:
Immunoglobulins are glycoproteins in the immunoglobulin superfamily that function as antibodies. So basically they are the same thing.. so yeah.. I think my "geekiness" has officially came out of the closet!

Perhaps a silly question, but is hemoglobin part of the same family?

microbiology311 said:
I can skin a cat in less than 10 minutes(was a TA for 3 years in an Anatomy Lab)...

So I gotta ask..is there more than one way? :p

Anyway, history/technology geek checking in here. 6'0" 170lbs, I can leg press over 400 lbs (could do more, but bad knees). IF it wern't for my lack of fasion sense, I could probably blend into a crowd and no one would be the wiser.

SexyCleric said:
Perhaps a silly question, but is hemoglobin part of the same family?

Well sexy.. nerds/geeks don't ask stupid questions. To answer your question, I actually had to look it up to make sure I was telling it right.
It is not part of the immunoglobin family. Hemoglobin or haemoglobin (frequently abbreviated as Hb) is the iron-containing oxygen-transport metalloprotein in the red cells of the blood in mammals and other animals. Hemoglobin transports oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body, such as to the muscles, where it releases the oxygen load.

Some things that are in the immunoglobin family are T-cell receptors, cell-adhension molecules, B-cell receptors, etc.

Did i lose you at any part??? *big grin*

oxphocker said:
So I gotta ask..is there more than one way? :p

Anyway, history/technology geek checking in here. 6'0" 170lbs, I can leg press over 400 lbs (could do more, but bad knees). IF it wern't for my lack of fasion sense, I could probably blend into a crowd and no one would be the wiser.

hmm... there is more than one way to go about skinning a cat, but the end result is always the same. you can start the the underside and make cuts along the length of the underbelly and then the legs or could start on the backbone and work down. I prefer going underbelly up. But that is just me.

Wonders if I have completely disgusted anyone yet.... (oh btw-I own a cat.. isn't that morbid)

microbiology311 said:
Well sexy.. nerds/geeks don't ask stupid questions. To answer your question, I actually had to look it up to make sure I was telling it right.
It is not part of the immunoglobin family. Hemoglobin or haemoglobin (frequently abbreviated as Hb) is the iron-containing oxygen-transport metalloprotein in the red cells of the blood in mammals and other animals. Hemoglobin transports oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body, such as to the muscles, where it releases the oxygen load.

Some things that are in the immunoglobin family are T-cell receptors, cell-adhension molecules, B-cell receptors, etc.

Did i lose you at any part??? *big grin*

Lose me? Psh. Takes more than that to confuse this nerd.
I already knew hemoglobin's purpose, I was just curious as to it's function.
I used to know it's basic chemical form, and I was surprised to see that it was mostly made of carbon and oxygen, and only 4 Fe molecules, if memory serves.

SexyCleric said:
Lose me? Psh. Takes more than that to confuse this nerd.
I already knew hemoglobin's purpose, I was just curious as to it's function.
I used to know it's basic chemical form, and I was surprised to see that it was mostly made of carbon and oxygen, and only 4 Fe molecules, if memory serves.

I stole this from the internet.. but its written better than I could have done it.

The Hemoglobin molecule is an assembly of four globular protein subunits. Each subunit is composed of a protein chain tightly associated with a non-protein heme group.

Each individual protein chain arranges in a set of alpha-helix structural segments connected together in a "myoglobin fold" arrangement, so called because this arrangement is the same folding motif used in the heme/globin proteins. This folding pattern contains a pocket which is suitable to strongly bind the heme group.

A heme group consists of an iron atom held in a heterocyclic ring, known as a porphyrin. This iron atom is the site of oxygen binding. The iron atom is bonded equally to all four nitrogens in the center of the ring, which lie in one plane. Two additional bonds perpendicular to the plane on each side can be formed with the iron to form the fifth and sixth positions, one connected strongly to the protein, the other available for binding of oxygen. The iron atom can either be in the Fe2+ or Fe3+ state, but ferrihaemoglobin (Methaemoglobin) (Fe3+) cannot bind oxygen.

In adult humans, the most common hemoglobin type is a tetramer (which contains 4 subunit proteins) called hemoglobin A, consisting of two α and two β subunits non-covalently bound, each made of 141 and 146 amino acid residues, respectively. This is denoted as α2β2. The subunits are structurally similar and about the same size. Each subunit has a molecular weight of about 16,000 daltons, for a total molecular weight of the tetramer of about 64,000 daltons. Haemoglobin A is the most intensively studied of the haemoglobin molecules.

The four polypeptide chains are bound to each other by salt bridges, hydrogen bonds and hydrophobic interaction. There are two kinds of contacts between the α and β chains: α1β1 and α1β2.

do I lose geek points for cut/pasting?

microbiology311 said:
I stole this from the internet.. but its written better than I could have done it.

The Hemoglobin molecule is an assembly of four globular protein subunits. Each subunit is composed of a protein chain tightly associated with a non-protein heme group.

Each individual protein chain arranges in a set of alpha-helix structural segments connected together in a "myoglobin fold" arrangement, so called because this arrangement is the same folding motif used in the heme/globin proteins. This folding pattern contains a pocket which is suitable to strongly bind the heme group.

A heme group consists of an iron atom held in a heterocyclic ring, known as a porphyrin. This iron atom is the site of oxygen binding. The iron atom is bonded equally to all four nitrogens in the center of the ring, which lie in one plane. Two additional bonds perpendicular to the plane on each side can be formed with the iron to form the fifth and sixth positions, one connected strongly to the protein, the other available for binding of oxygen. The iron atom can either be in the Fe2+ or Fe3+ state, but ferrihaemoglobin (Methaemoglobin) (Fe3+) cannot bind oxygen.

In adult humans, the most common hemoglobin type is a tetramer (which contains 4 subunit proteins) called hemoglobin A, consisting of two α and two β subunits non-covalently bound, each made of 141 and 146 amino acid residues, respectively. This is denoted as α2β2. The subunits are structurally similar and about the same size. Each subunit has a molecular weight of about 16,000 daltons, for a total molecular weight of the tetramer of about 64,000 daltons. Haemoglobin A is the most intensively studied of the haemoglobin molecules.

The four polypeptide chains are bound to each other by salt bridges, hydrogen bonds and hydrophobic interaction. There are two kinds of contacts between the α and β chains: α1β1 and α1β2.

do I lose geek points for cut/pasting?

Nope, as long as you understand it, we'll chalk it up to laziness.

microbiology311 said:
Wonders if I have completely disgusted anyone yet.... (oh btw-I own a cat.. isn't that morbid)

Heh, no, I've seen all kinds of disgusting things. It is pretty funny about having a cat though - but the real question about it being morbid is if you ever considered sizing up your cat.

oxphocker said:
Heh, no, I've seen all kinds of disgusting things. It is pretty funny about having a cat though - but the real question about it being morbid is if you ever considered sizing up your cat.

Only once when she pissed me off so badly, I wanted to beat the living shit out of her. Actually, I think that once she goes to kitty heaven, I am going to stuff her.. that way I will always have her.. btw its weird not to use her name which is Afrodite. THe worst thing is that I as a TA get to dissect the pregnant cats which are usually fatter than the regular street cat(obviously). Afro is getting kinda chunky so I made a comment how her fat cell numbers were probably like the pregnant dead cats. To that one of my friends who was a TA too, was just like.. LETS cut her open and see!

Not grossed here, my sister is a vet tech. We've talked about some pretty nasty and pretty hilarious things.

Daaa da dada da da
Daaa da dada da da katamari daaaamaaaciiiiiii

grrrr now i have gone and got that song caught in my head from reading this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back