What's for dinner?

Greek herb roasted chicken with grilled vegetables, tiziki sauce, quinoa/ brown rice blend, Greek salad and grilled naan bread.

Now it's post-midnight-snack time. I'll go with wimpy quesadillas: two corn tortillas, each with a slice of lunchmeat, a few olives or an artichoke heart, and a slice of cheese, toasted. Wash those down with a Torpedo IPA and I'm sunk.
At a bar?
We've a couple of biker bars nearby but I don't fit in. Wrong attitude, etc. Nope, all at home. My ice-cube trays and toaster oven, they nourish and nurture me. [/burp] Meanwhile, dinner tonight was eggplant Parmesan in the electric convection oven. Propane is priced out of cooking.

Special brownies?

Yes, very special. :D

1 stick of unsalted butter, melted in the microwave for two minutes on 50% power. Beat in 3\4 cups maple syrup (or brown sugar) then two eggs. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 3 tablespoons light flavored olive oil. Stir in 9 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons almond flower, 3 tablespoons each coconut and tapioca flour. (Of course you can use a half cup of any other flour you like.) Add 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder to the flour if you're making gluten free. Then add any optionals - 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans is what I used but you could add shredded coconut or chocolate chips. Bake in a greased 8 x 8 or similar size tin for 25 minutes at 350°F.
Enjoy.

Yabbies. A friend from west of the mountains on a visit brought a lot of big ones with her. Bit of a pain to prepare but two of the girls helped. Yummy.

Left over meatloaf.

Wife has to spend the night in a medical facility for a procedure so it didn't make any sense to cook.

Yabbies. A friend from west of the mountains on a visit brought a lot of big ones with her. Bit of a pain to prepare but two of the girls helped. Yummy.

Is that a bit like a small lobster or something? How do you cook them, same as lobsters?

Yabby-CSIRO.jpg

Is that a bit like a small lobster or something? How do you cook them, same as lobsters?

Yabby-CSIRO.jpg

You drop 'em in a large pan of vigorously boiling water and cook for 8/10 minutes depending on size. Most of the meat is in the tail and the claws on bigger ones. I put a couple of quartered lemons in the water with plenty of salt and a bit of vinegar. Soy sauce - generously added, is a nice alternative to vinegar.

There are a couple of youtube videos which illustrate how to trap and prepare them. They are only active in the warmer weather. This is how not to catch Yabbies but it's more fun than netting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2J1HEZfXC8

And remember to put the discarded bits in the freezer until the garbos come round.

Yabby-CSIRO.jpg

You drop 'em in a large pan of vigorously boiling water and cook for 8/10 minutes depending on size. Most of the meat is in the tail and the claws on bigger ones. I put a couple of quartered lemons in the water with plenty of salt and a bit of vinegar. Soy sauce - generously added, is a nice alternative to vinegar.

There are a couple of youtube videos which illustrate how to trap and prepare them. They are only active inthe warmer weather. This is how not to catch Yabbies but it's more fun than netting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2J1HEZfXC8

And remember to put the discarded bits in the freezer until the garbos come round.

I made alfredo sauce for the first time in ages with a corn/rice fettucine. I also marinated a steak with balsalmic, olive oil, thyme and oregano to broil. Salads to start and strawberries with chocolate ganache to finish.

Alfredo Sauce

Shred 3 ounces of parmigiano reggiano cheese, add 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper. Melt a stick of unsalted butter over medium heat in a saucepan and add 1 pint of heavy cream, stirring constantly but gently until bubbles begin to form around the edges. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese and spices until cheese is melted in. pour over your favorite pasta or vegetables.

Sous vide venison, mashed potatoes, squash-and-apple bake. B&S pinot noir. Apple, peach and cherry pie, left over from yesterday. Maybe Arab coffee with cardamon if I can work up the energy.

We hit a monster Asian supermarket yesterday and scored big. From that, I found and sweatily prepared a recipe of shiitake mushrooms and fresh bok choi sizzled in toasted sesame oil, served with smoked chicken and black rice. Today was bad physically so that took way too long but it sure tasted great!

Now I must figure what to do with Chinese sausages. Wrapping them in wonton skins, deep-frying, and calling them lumpia (as Fat's Bistro in Folsom tried to pass them off) sucks. Time to google more recipes.

Only Peanut Butter ?
What else could you use, I wonder. . .
The active ingredient deteriorates when wet so the capsules stay in an anti-humidity bottle, and is fat-soluble so peanut butter is advised. Bacon and cheesy eggs work too, or likely a good chaw of pepperoni sausage. Hmm, it's nearly time for my evening dose (along with a few other pills). P-butter, or a slab of ultra-sharp cheddar? [/me ponders]

Dinner tonight: sliced Chinese sausage, patented Bunapi mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes on a CostCo cheese pizza base, washed down with chilled Mississippi Mud black-and-tan ale.

I always wondered how I would eat if I were alone, and this weekend I got to find out.
Been alone since Friday afternoon and here's what I ate.
Friday-small head of cauliflower w/bacon and mozzarella.
Saturday-2 hamburger patties, 6 chicken wings
Sunday-2 or 3 chicken wings

I did lose two pounds, LOL!
But seems like when I'm alone I eat to survive. And really that is true, the only reason I ate anything was because each day after a pot of coffee I was feeling lightheaded so I ate something.

Anyway dinner tonight, I might eat more chicken wings, or a couple more burger patties. I don't eat bread, so no buns.

I really really wanted to drink the last 3 Coronas I have in the fridge, but low carbing so no beer right now.

Hamburger patties just by themselves, no buns?

I always wondered how I would eat if I were alone, and this weekend I got to find out.
Been alone since Friday afternoon and here's what I ate.
Friday-small head of cauliflower w/bacon and mozzarella.
Saturday-2 hamburger patties, 6 chicken wings
Sunday-2 or 3 chicken wings

I did lose two pounds, LOL!
But seems like when I'm alone I eat to survive. And really that is true, the only reason I ate anything was because each day after a pot of coffee I was feeling lightheaded so I ate something.

Anyway dinner tonight, I might eat more chicken wings, or a couple more burger patties. I don't eat bread, so no buns.

I really really wanted to drink the last 3 Coronas I have in the fridge, but low carbing so no beer right now.

Back