Digital Books Survivor Rights

But again, that's a side track. The primary question is in post 22.
 
But again, that's a side track. The primary question is in post 22.

And the answer to that post is:

You need legal advice. The answer would depend on the laws of your country and state, and the terms and conditions applying to the ebooks in that jurisdiction. The ebook supplier's terms vary by country.
 
But again, that's a side track. The primary question is in post 22.

Ogg is right.

It depends on the words of the license. If you have digital content on a laptop and you die and your heir inherits the digital content on the laptop, then the heir owns the physical laptop and the digital content, whatever it is. But the heir may not have a license to use the content, because using the content (unlike reading a physical book that you inherit) probably will involve an act of duplication, which is covered by copyright. You'll need to look at the license to know if the license rights are granted to an heir. They probably are not.

Here's an example of an Apple End User License Agreement I pulled off the Internet:

https://www.apple.com/legal/macapps/dev/stdeula/

As I read that, the licensee's rights would not pass to an heir. So the heir might own the content, but be unable to use it.
 
I sense incentives for unauthorized copying and scofflawing.
 
I came to the conclusion that the fee that one pays to the supplier of the book is not for acquisition at all. I think it is a hiring fee.

Which is why I buy paper books pretty much 99.9% of the time. My oldest book is almost 300 years old and I have an entire bookcase of books from the 1890's to the 1920's, including an entire shelf of old G A Henty and another of girls boarding school stories. Digital files will never have that same aura or smell. Try inhaling the scent of a digital e-book! :D

And in a gazillion years I can pass them on to anyone I like.....
 
I had no idea anyone else in the world followed G. A. Henty. I'm hoping for "With Armstrong on the Moon", but since our boy died long ago, I'm doomed to disappointment unless Chloe fancies the idea.
 
If the copyright has expired there are no digital rights to worry about. It's public domain.

But there could be copyright in the digital version because it is technically a part-new creation by the person who digitised it. Of course, if you have a hard copy, you can scan and digitise it for yourself.

If you use Project Gutenberg for older books there is no problem.
 
I had no idea anyone else in the world followed G. A. Henty. I'm hoping for "With Armstrong on the Moon", but since our boy died long ago, I'm doomed to disappointment unless Chloe fancies the idea.

I love his books. You don't get anything like them now. Under Drakes Flag. With Clive in India. What kid these days has ever heard of Clive? Or Hereward the Wake. Or a whole list of other historical figures. I love those old old hardback Henty books with the coloured plate illustrations and the amazing embossed covers. And the smell. I love that old book smell. I have a lot of other old books - Bobbsey Twins, Hardy Boys, old travel books, things like "Sporting Adventures of a Gentleman in India" and stuff like that. A lot of old Biggles books. Climbing books - Eric Shipton and Tilman and things like "Kamet Conquered" and "Annapurna" and lots of Everest expedition books by everyone. I've never done any climbing but I love reading about the expeditions like the ones by Chris Bonington. Digital books? Pah!

Hey. With Armstrong on the Moon. I could do that. 18 year old Chinese American girl stows away on Apollo, throws the whole mission in jeopardy but heroism, Houston Mission control and true grit prevail, the moon landing is a success and the first sex on the moon takes place. One small step for mankind, one big dick for my heroine. And oh crap, live broadcast. The first xxx broadcast from space, Hefner buys the rights. Yes!
 
Last edited:
Henty?

'With Armstrong to the Moon' is probably too short a story for him.

Modern titles I'd suggest:

With the Hunt for Bin Laden - Disguised Boy and Girl, hidden under burqas, track Bin Laden.

With the Seals to the Spratlys - Boy (and now Girl) help the Seals destroy the Chinese military bases.

With President Trump at Singapore - foiling plots to derail the meeting with North Korea.

Fighting the Russians in Ukraine and Crimea.

Defending the Border with Mexico.

Against the Cartels in Colombia.

Building Bots to Battle the Mad Mullahs.

Etc...
 
'With Armstrong to the Moon' is probably too short a story for him.

'Houston, We Have A Condom.'
'One Small Stroke For Man, One Giant Queef For Mankind.'
'Love In A Lunar Module'

I love physical books and have five cases chock full of them, but for the convenience- like being able to buy a book and immediately read it from home, or not having to worry about what I'm actually going to want to read on a plane or train- I love my Paperwhite too. I can read library books with ePUB, the latest best seller, or the complete works of my favorite authors. I have one book called Cradle To Cradle that's printed on recycled plastic so it's waterproof, and man I wish they made more books like that.
 
Henty? I know we have some Henty shelved with the 'classics' (stuff we'll likely never read again) but I can't read the titles now. Meanwhile, I worked-up titles and first lines for an exercise a couple years back.

HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM - The lander's engine sputtered and died just as I reached the planet's surface. Oh shit. And I had run out of condoms.

TRISEXUAL TRIFECTA - The natives were getting restless, and horny. Here on Sirius IV, that could only mean trouble. I checked my blaster: fully charged.

CTHULHU, WE LOVE YOU - Observing the mating rituals of followers of a tentacled elder god can be rather unsettling. Did we bring enough barf bags?

HONKY TONK LAGOON - I really hate when 'gator-folk get drunk. It's not bad enough that these human-reptilian hybrids smell awful. Their bladders are weak, too.

LOST IN THE JUNGLE - Professor Czolgosz did his best to suppress his immense but doomed attraction for Lila, the matriarch of the orangutans. He knew he was just not worthy of her love.

WHERE THE BUFFALO ROAM - She could dream of nothing else for weeks after seeing the bull's immense schlong.

SEX AND THE SINGLE SQUIRREL - Wow, that chipmunk gal is a babe! Look at all those tits!

STICK IT WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE - The dark side of Mercury is a bad place for an orgy.

HONKY TONK CHIMPANZEES - I knew I was doomed when Bertha blew me her simian kiss.
_____

ObTopic: Paper outlives electrons.
 
Back
Top