Plagiarism

Given your username, I'm not surprised that you found it "flattering and slightly arousing" at times!
 
ANYTHING and EVERYTHING posted online is GONE, beyond the poster's control. Keep this in mind and you won't be shocked.
 
Yup. Had one of mine stolen and re-posted on a gigantic fan-fiction website. The genius had gone so far as to do a search and replace with the names of the two main characters to make them 'anna' and 'elsa' (no caps) so it could be posted as a 'Frozen' story.

Another reader from here told me about it, but by the time I got there, there were already a number of comments from readers saying it was plagiarized, and who the original author was. It's still up despite the DMCA notice I sent them, but it just makes me laugh now. :)
 
“The internet is about the free exchange and sale of other people’s ideas!” - Futurama
 
My stories are everywhere, usually still with my copyright notice attached. That's what happens when you've been posting stories on the internet for more than 15 years. I posted on Yahoo Adult groups for a couple of years before starting on Literotica.

I don't mind people who link to my stories on Literotica. Why should I? I don't mind if someone reposts my story with 'look what I've found'.

I'm not happy when someone posts, as someone has done on xhamster this year as 'this is my story' when it is oggbashan's.

Some of my stories have been translated into Czech, Polish, German and several languages on the Indian sub-continent. I am pleased that someone likes my stories enough to put the effort into translating them properly - and they have. They're not simple Google Translate but done by native speakers. I have had people look for my work on Literotica because they have found a translated version.

But as Hypoxia said above - once you post something on the internet you have no control of it.
 
I looked at this thread and was curious whether any of my stories had been republished anywhere, and how I would find out. So I did a Google search and -- sure enough! -- I found one of my stories on somebody's Tumblr page, in a significantly shortened form. They didn't bother changing the title or the names of the characters.

I've been hanging out at these forums long enough to know this is common and inevitable, and probably unavoidable, so my reaction, rather than being one of annoyance, was a pang of pleasure: they like my story enough to rip it off!

You never forget your first time.
 
If you haven't formally copyrighted them in the United States (shelling out money in the process), there is no U.S. law backing your ownership up. (And please don't read the provisions of the Berne Convention back to me. The United States has circumvented the functionality of that by requiring you to hold a formal U.S. copyright before pursing anything legally in the United States.)
 
I don't obsess about where stories I've posted to free-use Internet sites pop up.
 
.....................

If the matters were so pressing, you could have saved a lot of valuable time by not going through your posting list and zeroing out all of the posts one by one. You could have just waltzed off for awhile. Just sayin'. But best of luck in getting them under control. We'll manage while you're gone. :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top