Male author, female first-person main character.

My philosophy is, fuck it. I write how I write and if it's first person female and some readers might think I got the tone wrong or whatever, oh well.

I usually avoid first person anyway, though I'll still get deep into someone's head in third person if I need to.

Create or copy characters. Put yourself inside them. Channel your inner woman or man or dog or squid or whatever, then invade your characters and conquer their RNA like a rampaging Viking. Or maybe an insidious slime mold. Whatever works.

Last edited:
I'm working on a story with a female first person perspective. One thing I'm doing differently than when I write male POV is that I'm having her notice clothes, make up and hair styles when she's describing people. OTOH, she doesn't notice the chest size of the other main female character. When she talks with other female characters, it's mainly about relationships.

This sounds a lot like a caricature version of a woman to me, and just what you'd expect from a man stereotypically trying to come off as woman.

I'm a male author, and I am trying to write a story with a female protagonist, but from the first person perspective. For one reason, I've never done this, so it is a way to stretch, but more importantly, the nature of the story seems to make this the way to go.

However, I'm finding it difficult to get into "the voice." Not being a female, I'm not exactly sure if I am relating things in a believable fashion. Any advice? Anyone had this problem and conquered it? Thanks for any tips!........Carney
Here's something I did a long time ago as an experiment. I took a story that had done well, written from the man's perspective. I changed the names and told the same story from the woman's perspective, leaving every detail the same except occasionally for what one character knew and the other didn't. I submitted it under a different author name and title, and it fared even better. That gave me the confidence to write completely new stories from the woman's perspective. (This was at a different website.)

I have written a few stories as a female in first person. Saturday's Child, Agnes of God and The Anal Sex is for Buttholes stories posted as Elloelle.

Yes, it is a challenge. But if you can successfully make THAT stretch, I think you can write anything. I try to imagine what female friends would do or say in the situation I'm putting the character in. And sometimes I write it as what I think the character would do.

I was greatly inspired by Robert Heinlein's short story, The Menace from Earth. That a man in his 50s could write from the perspective of a 15 yr old girl and absolutely nail it has always amazed me.

Truthfully?

I don't find it that difficult. I actually find it easier than writing as a dude, and my attempts have been well-received by women. Having a wife helps; I take note of what she complains about and include those as thoughts for my female narrators.

of the 50-60 stories I have sought out as having read as I hoped were by female authors I was disapponted to find out they were almost all[99%]
written by men. How could I tell? If they have 3 or more blow jobs they are written by men, women do not get turned on by blow jobs
that much. Why do you think countless men go to prostitutes for bj's?because even the woman who loves them dearly
will rarely ever give them one, never mind swallowing the cum or rumbing it all over herself or let him shoot it all over her face and body or let him fuck her tits and cum on them. That's what he goes to a prostitute for and a cheap one usually because an expensive one won't even allow all that degrading shit. Now if the story is about humiliation and degradation okay that will happen otherwise if it is supposed to be a romantic story or erotic story forget it. Ditto on anal sex. Again. Even wifey will probably rarely allow that act, it is painful and it doesn 't give pleasure to most women. So all these women getting orgasms from blowjobs
, anal sex, that is men's fantasy or for a pain slut, a woman with no self-esteem and wants to be used as an object not a person. She could be shit on
pissed on and probably be used by animals and get off on it not because of the sex itself but because of the humilation, shame, and
degradation of the acts perpetrated on her. She will allow herself to be made a piece of trash because she probably was sexually,
phyisically, verbally abused as a child and youth so her sense of self -worth was never formed. How do I know this from personally being
verbally abused by my dad till I felt ;ike a piece of crap I had no friends except[for a couple of other socaial pari ahs like me ] My life was a daily hell of
verbal abuse and insults and putdowns, practical jokes at my expense, everytime someone was nice to me, it was only a ruse to trap me into being used as a slave for my brain which was much superior to theirs. The stories by men invariably hardly ever mention the clitoris being manipulated by the man and its indeed very rare for him to go down on her . The lack of detail there is very striking, men don't know what part of the labia and clit or hood is the most sensitive and how to touch it to get the max
pleasure from it. A woman would know this. Also manipulation of the breasts is rare and nipples and how and kneading the ass cheeks as any woman will tell you is a serious turn on but I never read one story not even one.

Why I tell you this is that some of the characters in these stories were smart quite successful women that could have had a good life but instead
were victims of their pasts, they didn't seem to have the ability understand that the abuse they had been through was what had created these
desires for humiliation and degradtion and that they felt unworthy of being loved in an equal power relationship. The only way they could
express affection was sex because they'd never received any physical affection as children only abuse. If the men writa;spot oding these stories had written
honest stories about these women he would have explained why they were pain sluts, why they were turned on by humiliation, why they chose sex ovrt
companionship and conversation. Why they never sought out counselling for their problems instead of induring them no bad they got and
how they ruined their work lives, their relationships with others, why they could never reconcile with family, why they could never be happy unless used as a piece of meat.

In true relationships of powersharing, the equality of the partners never stops, the people play games to have fun and enjoy sex but they don't do it destroy the other person's ego, sense of self, to take away all of the person's connnection to the outside world, to family and friends, and it is a private thing, with safe wordsIt is also a private thing. not something you show off to everyone at work all your non BD

D/s friends family esp chidren at least not unless you are a pedophile

If some one can recommend some good female authors on literotica I would be grateful tired of all the men pretending to be females, ugh boring.

"Think of a man and just take away logic and reason."

Oh I jest, I promise! Actually my biggest tip off for men writing women is that they write them with such low intelligence. They are children with perfect bodies. Give your character more authenticity by giving her thoughts more maturity and flaws. Not physician flaws, moral ones. We write women too nice or too evil. Every one has a mix of both deep down.

They are children with perfect bodies.

That's because it's how men often see women, and some authors are unwise enough to let it leak into their writing. I can't count the times I've thought "She has no idea what's she's talking about, but what nice lips."

In fairness, I often (probably just as often) consider men to have no idea what they are talking about either; it's just that I don't care about their lips so it's easier to dismiss them faster.

"Think of a man and just take away logic and reason."

Oh I jest, I promise!

I think the line from the movie is "take away reason and accountability."

But you'll notice how much of the advice on "writing women" (odd that nobody ever feels they need advice on "writing men") brings up "emotion." As if emotions were something singular to a woman's experience. But aren't we always writing about what characters feel, no matter who they are? What else is there to even write about?

Nevermind. Someone else just said it. :S

I've written female first person from several mentalities. I have been told that the "serious" characters were very believable. And even Debbie fooled many.

Last edited:
But you'll notice how much of the advice on "writing women" (odd that nobody ever feels they need advice on "writing men") brings up "emotion." As if emotions were something singular to a woman's experience. But aren't we always writing about what characters feel, no matter who they are? What else is there to even write about?

How to write from male first person when you're a woman...

Just read Cosmopolitan for a year. That'll tell you everything you ever wanted to know about men....

.... that ISN'T true.

I wrote a story about Veronica Mars, and had to write in first person because voice over was a major feature of the show. People told me I channeled her voice well, so maybe one strategy is to mimic the voice of a female character you know well.

That's because it's how men often see women, and some authors are unwise enough to let it leak into their writing.

That is sadly very true. But it makes their writing look trite and pedestrian to half of their readers, more than half if we guess that more women than men read erotic lit.

Another tipoff for a male writing a female? No compassion for her pain. Gets me all the time. I just read a story where the main gets 70 brutal spanks that pink and purple her backside. A blink later her abuser gives her a playful swat on the butt. She ponders her love for him rather than clinging like a cat to the ceiling out of the searing pain that playful gesture would inflict. Telltale lack of compassion.

I like to write for a female narrator, but then, at home I am always dressed like one. Physically, I know intimately about assuming the feminine role. Emotionally, I use my experience with women over many years to guide me.

Imagining you're the opposite sex is just really just an extension imagining you're anyone other than you -- so it's just a question of how well you can imagine it. If, like me, you have a stereotypical "male" brain, it's hard. I suggest you watch, and take copious notes, while watching Mel Gibson do it in "What Women Want" :)

Now if ever there was a line that screamed "written by a man"...

In the movie it's (mis)quoted from, it was in fact spoken by a man - specifically a male author with perhaps less of a grasp on human kindness than some. Not that the character he said it to wasn't a bit deserving.

I'm a male author, and I am trying to write a story with a female protagonist, but from the first person perspective. For one reason, I've never done this, so it is a way to stretch, but more importantly, the nature of the story seems to make this the way to go.

However, I'm finding it difficult to get into "the voice." Not being a female, I'm not exactly sure if I am relating things in a believable fashion. Any advice? Anyone had this problem and conquered it? Thanks for any tips!........Carney
I'm a male writer, and I just wrote a female 1st person POV story, and to be honest I didn't consider this issue, just tried to write her as honestly as I could as a person.

My editor is female, and she didn't hit me with any "no woman would say/do this" comments.

I guess I'll find out when my story posts!

Back