sherlock "fucking" holmes

spellbinding. the hound of the baskervilles was one of the first books i owned, bought it through the school book club thing. i had to convince my parents to give me the money for it. take a genius idea by sir doyle, modernize it, and make it just as good or better. benedict cumberbatch out sherlocks basil rathbone by a good eight furlongs. masterpiece indeed.

Are you playing catch up, or are you indulging in a binge of episodes ?

Always love it, when Boston PBS airs recent leftovers from the UK.

What kind of Hamlet will Benedict Cumberbatch make ? Fall 2014 on the UK stage. /end jealous icon
(That means that he will be taking time off from making new Sherlock episodes. :( )

The real Sherlock Holmes is and always will be Jeremy Brett, the others Basil Rathbone and all are mere imitations.

I'm definitely a fan. Benedict Cumberbatch is an excellent Sherlock. :)

Jeremy Brett is very fine as a Sherlock. I watched a very old Sherlock movie that was before Basil Rathbone.
This version had him as a blonde, balding, and fragile. Not a swashbuckler, but a mind as sharp as a razor.

I'm definitely a fan. Benedict Cumberbatch is an excellent Sherlock. :)

Just learned the other day that female fans of Cumberbatch call themselves cumberbitches. Cool name. :D

And I must admit that the dude knows how to take off a scarf. That says a lot about a man... "show me your scarf and I will tell you who you are"

tumblr_lyq9f2fxaZ1ro5khzo1_500.gif

Still, the definite Sherlock is Jeremy Brett. Cumberbatch is one of the best, but not number one.

The real Sherlock Holmes is and always will be Jeremy Brett, the others Basil Rathbone and all are mere imitations.

I have to agree. However, I think that the updated version with Cumberbatch is entertaining. It's just that is has moved perhaps too far from the original Arthur Conan Doyle concept.

Personally I thought this version of Holmes is melodramatic, overacted drivel.

Johnny lee Miller is miles better.

Johnny lee Miller is miles better.

He's a fine actor and Elementary is not a bad show, albeit a little formula at times. But it's probably the least "Sherlocky" interpretation ever made and the show would frankly have been better if they had let it stand on it's own.

But he definitely has the sexiest Watson :)

216564_elementary_elementary_poster.jpg

I’ve been a Holmesian forever. I read all of Doyle’s stories and will read just about any Holmes adaptations and derived works. As for the movie and TV portrayals, Basil Rathbone did a marvelous job and I love both Benedict Cumberbatch’s Sherlock and Johnny Lee Miller’s Elementary they both give great portrayals of a 21st century Holmes, but when I read a Holmes story its Jeremy Brett’s voice I hear in my head.

I think jeremy brett is more true to who sherlock is, but benedict makes him so likeable and provides the sexiness to make him more modern. Elementary-I watched a few episodes, but watson seems so whiney and his addiction is trivial. That show is more like the rice cakes of sherlock. Fun, easy to watch, but not memorable. Benedict makes sherlock very powerful. I love robert downey, but his sherlock is on the lighter side as well.

He's a fine actor and Elementary is not a bad show, albeit a little formula at times. But it's probably the least "Sherlocky" interpretation ever made and the show would frankly have been better if they had let it stand on it's own.

But he definitely has the sexiest Watson :)

Robert Downey's movies were the worst. I'd rate Elementary after them. You just cannot change the gender of a major character. Much as I lust for Lucy Liu, she can NOT be Watson. If they changed the characters names, I think it might work for me. But this ain't Sherlock Holmes.

Cumberbatch's physique might better be suited to a role as Ichabod Crane. He can be handsome one minute, evil looking the next then almost homely. This is some special work going on directing-wise.

Of course we should also take into consideration who has the hottest Irene Adler.... :)

irene_adler___lara_pulver_ref_foto_by_waynecampbell_art-d52vev6.jpg

Natalie_Dormer_as_Irene_Adler_in_Elementary_2013.jpg

Tough choice - but as far as sheer sexyness goes Cumberbatch wins hands down. Lara Pulver's performance would probably have been too much for American TV...

And I must admit that the dude knows how to take off a scarf. That says a lot about a man..."show me your scarf and I will tell you who you are"

Men have no clue how to wear a scarf much less take off one.

Of course we should also take into consideration who has the hottest Irene Adler.... :)

irene_adler___lara_pulver_ref_foto_by_waynecampbell_art-d52vev6.jpg

Natalie_Dormer_as_Irene_Adler_in_Elementary_2013.jpg

Tough choice - but as far as sheer sexyness goes Cumberbatch wins hands down. Lara Pulver's performance would probably have been too much for American TV...

Lara Pulver, hands down.

Basil Rathbone for Sherlock, though he didn't seem to age from the 1890's to the 1940's
Lucy Liu for Watson

Back