Best category for new story: Incest or Exhib?

spyralout

Writer
Joined
Apr 13, 2012
Posts
8
I'm wrapping up a new story (my first) and need to help on which category to submit it in.

I think of it as an exhibitionist story, but there are definitely "soft" incest themes. It's about a dad who watches his daughter star in a sexy play. He has complicated feelings as he watches, torn between his desire to be protective and his taboo attraction to her. Also, her brother has a role in the play that requires them to interact in a light sexual way (i.e. a sexy kiss).

I hear that incest trumps other categories but I worry if I put it there, readers will be unfulfilled because no incest relationships are ever consummated. Any advice on where to put it? Should I just add a climactic incestual sex scene at the end and go all-in on the category?

Thanks in advance!
 
Yes. Make it worthwhile.

I should be clear that the story already has graphic sex scenes which evolve as part of the play. Just not incestual ones. But if it's going to land in the incest category then I suppose that's the way to go. Thanks.
 
I hear that incest trumps other categories but I worry if I put it there, readers will be unfulfilled because no incest relationships are ever consummated. Any advice on where to put it? Should I just add a climactic incestual sex scene at the end and go all-in on the category?

Thanks in advance!
Or, hold to the integrity of YOUR story, and don't pander to an audience's "expectations."

You might have a finely balanced story, full of nuance, that might be delicate and perfect. Chucking in the "obligatory" incest consummation scene might just make it cheap and tacky, like so many others. It sounds to me you want to preserve the fine line. She is his daughter, after all.

I know what I'd do.
 
Incest doesn't have to carry through to a physical sex scene to be incest. Cogitating sexual feelings for a blood relative already is incest. I think Laurel would put it in incest if she took a good look at it however you categorized it in submission, but you might try some other category if you want to take the chance. It sounds from your brief description that the thoughts about incest are a strong theme, maybe even the central theme, of your story. Try ripping all references to incest out of it and see if you still have a story left.
 
I would say, try to put it where it belongs, maybe giving a note about incest subthread present. There's quite a lot of stories with soft or suppressed incest undercurrents I believe belongs purely in the E&V category but sometimes are moved over to incest, in my opinion damaging the stories.

I have a somewhat similar problem myself. One of the stories I have plotted out I definitely want to present as a pure voyeur's tale, but the first two subjects watched happen to be sister and cousin, although it then moves on to substantially more involvement with a pair of neighbour girls that also are revealed to be sisters themselves and may be quite touchy between them also.

That might then evolve into full out incest in an expansion, with the cousin pairing both with the mc and sister, as well as sex between neighbour sisters actually observed not just suspected, but definitely not in the first part where likely no interactive sex will happen at all.
 
Last edited:
Your description of the story is not sufficiently clear to allow anyone to answer your question. You say that the dad has feelings for the daughter but that nothing explicitly incestuous happens, but also that there IS explicit sex in the story. Without knowing more it's impossible to advise. From whose POV is the story told? What does the sex have to do with the incestuous feelings? What kind of sex is it and between whom does it occur?

My take would be to focus on the nature of the consummated sex rather than the unconsummated feelings. In what category does THAT conduct properly belong? That's where to put the story.
 
Just wanted to say thank you. Appreciate that you guys took the time for thoughtful and constructive responses. Many good points made and food for thought.

The story is told from the father's POV. I am going to contemplate whether I like the idea of him ultimately consummating his taboo desires or whether I want to leave him unfulfilled where he is purely a voyeur of his daughter. That will decide the category I submit under.

BTW - if anyone would be willing to act as an editor, please let me know. I guess there is a forum for that so I will probably post there as well.

Thank you!
 
I am going to contemplate whether I like the idea of him ultimately consummating his taboo desires or whether I want to leave him unfulfilled where he is purely a voyeur of his daughter. That will decide the category I submit under.

Again, I don't really think that's what's going to determine where Laurel puts it. Incest isn't just carry through. Contemplating it and being tempted by it is also incest. It's no different from underage. You write about someone underage dreaming of doing it or watching someone else do it, your story is an underage story here.
 
Back
Top