Illinois friends!

Can't decide if I should bother shoveling the tiny accumulation of snow we got yesterday. It would be like brewing your own beer: a lot of effort for little reward.

Can't decide if I should bother shoveling the tiny accumulation of snow we got yesterday. It would be like brewing your own beer: a lot of effort for little reward.
Yea I ain't fuckin' with it. Nobody but me uses the sidewalk, being in the sticks miles from a town.

Plus we only got about .3 down here...not worth the effort, it'll melt, and I'm in a lazy mood today.....:)
same here, although the ex told me it took him 3-1/2 hours to make the 45-minute trip to DeKalb today. Must be way worse up that way.

Quad Cities Illinois here.
Hiya!

Red's around here somewhere....I've looked under all the rocks...in the closets....under the beds....she'll probably pop out from somewhere eventually and scare the crap out of us...

I used to live in Silvis, on the other side of the state now. Welcome!

Cook country is not too bad just a little bent.:) Everyone alway's want's the snow but when it comes they cry. The wheathermen talked about its been a very very mild winter and we get a cold snap and its like it is something brand new go figure.

You're right. We got the snow and people acted like they were from Florida and had no idea how to drive in it!

Hiya!

Red's around here somewhere....I've looked under all the rocks...in the closets....under the beds....she'll probably pop out from somewhere eventually and scare the crap out of us...

dont worry she is probably just tied up on a project...... no pun intended.

As long as Jim Cantori isn't standing at the end of my driveway this morning, I'm good. Ice melt will come in handy tomorrow...but that's why God created fireplaces and big screens. In the burbs we just refer to it as "Snuggling Weather."

Good morning all! Yes, you're right. Big screen, football and ice melt. What more could you ask for? Ok, there's a LOT more but that's a start! :D

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend from North Carolina. She asked me why having 4 wheel drive on a vehicle is so important to me. I explained to her that we don't shut down everything here when there is a little snow, so we need to have a way to get through the snow, slush, and mud when it rains.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend from North Carolina. She asked me why having 4 wheel drive on a vehicle is so important to me. I explained to her that we don't shut down everything here when there is a little snow, so we need to have a way to get through the snow, slush, and mud when it rains.
Even other Illinoisans don't always get it...my family lives in a much more urban area than me, where they actually throw down salt and plow the roads well....they don't understand when I try to explain to them the rudimentary road clearing on the rural roads.

Even other Illinoisans don't always get it...my family lives in a much more urban area than me, where they actually throw down salt and plow the roads well....they don't understand when I try to explain to them the rudimentary road clearing on the rural roads.

Same here. We had a Trailblazer that we traded in for a Jeep Liberty. For me to get home from the nearest city, I have to take county highways, or the interstate. To get on the interstate though, I have to drive all the way across town, which is a huge headache. So, I usually stick to the county highways, which are not always cleared. And, in my small town, the roads are never cleared, it's almost always slick. But, we still have brick roads here, so they probably figure, what's the use...

Same here. We had a Trailblazer that we traded in for a Jeep Liberty. For me to get home from the nearest city, I have to take county highways, or the interstate. To get on the interstate though, I have to drive all the way across town, which is a huge headache. So, I usually stick to the county highways, which are not always cleared. And, in my small town, the roads are never cleared, it's almost always slick. But, we still have brick roads here, so they probably figure, what's the use...
I know right? Our small towns around here have cut back so much it could be days before the one snowplow gets everything is cleared. And I seem to be in the area where the county gets to last, or makes one pass early in the storm and doesn't make it back for two days. Luckily we've had decent winters lately.

I know right? Our small towns around here have cut back so much it could be days before the one snowplow gets everything is cleared. And I seem to be in the area where the county gets to last, or makes one pass early in the storm and doesn't make it back for two days. Luckily we've had decent winters lately.

Same here! If a plow/salt truck does come this way, it usually only makes a pass around the interstate on/off ramps and the large truck stop drive. The rest of the town has to fend for itself. We live in an apartment, and last snow, the neighbor shoveled the sidewalk and put down ice melt so his kids didn't fall. I was annoyed that the landlord couldn't have been bothered to do it, but well, the landlord is another story.

I wish the city would contact some of the residents around here that have plows for their trucks, and allow them to plow the roads.

Same here! If a plow/salt truck does come this way, it usually only makes a pass around the interstate on/off ramps and the large truck stop drive. The rest of the town has to fend for itself. We live in an apartment, and last snow, the neighbor shoveled the sidewalk and put down ice melt so his kids didn't fall. I was annoyed that the landlord couldn't have been bothered to do it, but well, the landlord is another story.

I wish the city would contact some of the residents around here that have plows for their trucks, and allow them to plow the roads.
The village does send around a plow, but it's never done well, and we live with a layer of snow/ice on the road til it melts. Ad no salt, just sand.

If I can get to the highway, I'm good. But that's five miles of county road to get there.

Back