relieving boredom

Well the hard part is researching which particular entertainment will really satisfy your boredom. This applies equally to books, movies, videogames, music, hosting parties, going clubbing, travel destinations, owning a pet to play with, etc. Then the other somewhat hard part is paying for whatever entertainment you picked. But of you can do these two things, you can solve your boredom.
 
Do not kill boredom. Embrace boredom. Boredom makes you stop and think. I've come up with lotsa good shit just because I was bored out of my gourd.

One of my favorite writing tools was an ancient (circa 2001) Vaio mini-laptop with no WiFi. (I say 'was' because it finally died a few days ago.) I used it somewhere with no Net connects, so I couldn't go browsing. I couldn't run modern spreadsheet-database warez on it. It was only useful for writing. So I sat there with it in my lap, with no relief from boredom except to WRITE SOMETHING, DAMMIT!

Boredom is the mother of creativity.
 
Whatever you do. DO NOT masturbate. There is no greater boredom than "already-jerked-off" boredom.
 
Become curious. :) What do you think life would be like on a planet with three suns?
 
Read the stories that have ratings less than 2.
My brain rebels and decides to find something better to do.
 
Become curious. :) What do you think life would be like on a planet with three suns?

Take a moment to remember the Vin Diesel film Pitch Black or other sci-fi classics... there is at least two more out there
 
I wish I had the chance to be bored. Got too much work to do...

If you're really stuck for something to do, why not read some stories on lit? Watch some porn? Read up about a new fetish?
 
Do not kill boredom. Embrace boredom. Boredom makes you stop and think. I've come up with lotsa good shit just because I was bored out of my gourd.

One of my favorite writing tools was an ancient (circa 2001) Vaio mini-laptop with no WiFi. (I say 'was' because it finally died a few days ago.) I used it somewhere with no Net connects, so I couldn't go browsing. I couldn't run modern spreadsheet-database warez on it. It was only useful for writing. So I sat there with it in my lap, with no relief from boredom except to WRITE SOMETHING, DAMMIT!

Boredom is the mother of creativity.

I agree wholeheartedly! I go to college at a school two and a half hours from home (term used loosely, as I do live up there in an apartment) and will often make the drive in silence. This bothers many people, but that crazy zoned-out/one-with-the-road state of mind you eventually get into is crazy amazing. It's like meditation... Everything just shuts off. I'm not bored in the least. Or, conversely, I can think about stuff endlessly. Try it.

Next time you've got nothing to do, take out a list of philosophical, moral, or maybe even technical questions to which you don't know the answer (if one even exists). Pick one, and think. Maybe tackle existentialism. See if you can figure out how a small mechanical device (like a self-inking stamp, for example) works without having any knowledge on said item. See if you can remember all the words and notes and subtle nuances to your favorite song without listening... Then wonder why you're predisposed to those aspects that you can remember and not the others.

You will be surprised at the results. I personally have come to peace with a lot of things I've been through; I have cultivated a good sense of my own morality; I have found many answers (that suit me) to 'the big questions' in life; I've made entire worlds full of their own cultures and people and history, then put it to use as a tabletop RPG; I psychoanalyzed my own fears and worked through some of them; I practiced Spanish to make sure I wouldn't forget what I'd learned; I became a better singer, as I didn't have a radio muddling my voice; I improved my reflexes by rhythmically tapping the steering wheel in shifting patterns; I became more able to make broader connections between the things I knew in life (like what Buddhism has to do with postmodernism. The answer is A LOT. PM for details... Haha) And the list goes on.

Fuck things like Lumosity and all this "brain training" crap. It's like buying exercise equipment... You can very effectively get just as good a workout with every day objects as you can at a gym*, and you can make your mind sharper and happier without having something to entertain you or walk you through your personal growth.

Again, just try these things. It might seem forced at first, but you could grow to love it... And grow as a person in general ^_^


*Source: I'm a biologist, well-versed in anatomy and physiology. The only thing you might be paying for is motivation. And you can get that on your own, too!
 
porn and a webcam do it for me usually lol. i also like to play the piano to pass the time
 
If all else fails, pick someone you find interesting and STALK
(I recommend the Lit version as opposed to the RL one. Less litigation and jail time.)
 
I'm never bored.

I fill my time with activities I enjoy. And I toss people who give me heartburn.
 
giving or receiving? XD

or both? :rolleyes: Okay, enough of that silliness LWulf.

I usually make 3D models or work on one of three stories of mine, I watch some of the boob tube. Usually it's a combination of all three of those. If not that then I am usually passing time in the threads of one of two forums.

I always try to learn something or teach something every day.

Wednesdays I am usually working around the house. Clothes/cleaning/fixing.
Mornings I usually go for an hour swim.
Sundays I usually go shopping.

I have 4 pet theories I contemplate when all else fails.
 
I watch standup comedy while jumping on a rebounder ( mini trampoline) in all kinds of goofy ways. Laughter + exercise usually ups my energy so that I end up finding productive things to do. Or if not then I at least earned a nap lol.
 
Back
Top