Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that booze is a great word and I had no idea it had such a long history. To use it as a verb, I certainly "boozed" it up Friday night and suffered a bit on Saturday, as a result. Much better now, though.



Hooch (sometimes also spelled hootch was another commonly used name for cheap liquor, with an interesting backstory. The word comes originally from Hoochinoo, which is the name of both a Native American tribe in Alaska and one of their largest villages. The Hoochinoo used to make a pot-distilled liquor that they sold cheaply to prospectors and miners during the Klondike Gold Rush. These men eventually returned to the Lower 48, talking about “hooch” and the word spread into common usage.
 
Very interesting, Edward. My parents (from California) used the word booze more often than hootch. But when I was in Tennessee, I heard it called that. I wonder if the preference is regional.

Another form of;

planchet - noun [dim. of planch (flat plate)] 1. a metal disk to be stamped as a coin 2. a small metal or plastic disk sometimes with a raised edge
 
It's Monday already. How did that happen so fast;

plaintive - adj expressive of suffering or woe: MELANCHOLY
 
This is what I found online, Handley;

plaintive - adj expressing sorrow; mournful or melancholy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ETYMOLOGY:
Middle English plaintif, from Old French, aggrieved, lamenting, from plaint, complaint ; see plaint
 
I decided to go ahead and add this one, too;

plaint - noun (Latin planctus pp. of plangere to strike, beat one's breast, lament) 1. LAMENTATION, WAIL 2. PROTEST, COMPLAINT
 
Want a couple of dialect words I found recently ?

Carr: an area of heavy marshy ground, usually low-lying.

Ings: A pasture usually covered in water.

Ley: A rich arable field put down to grass.

Intake: A patch of land reclaimed from the Moor (sometimes Intak).

Lucy: Sometimes seen as Lousey, Lowsey.
It comes from Lousy (as in awful) meaning apig-sty. So Lucy Field is a place where pigs are /were kept.

neuk: The top corner or angle of a field.
More and probably better known these days a a Nook (and in Nooks & Crannies).
 
Very interesting, Handley, I don't think I have ever heard of any of those words, except the last and not with that spelling.

plainspoken - adj CANDID, FRANK
 
I decided to go ahead and add this one, too;

plaint - noun (Latin planctus pp. of plangere to strike, beat one's breast, lament) 1. LAMENTATION, WAIL 2. PROTEST, COMPLAINT

And that leads to plaintiff - the person bringing a court case. That word always reminds me of Gilbert and Sullivan's Trial By Jury - based on a suit by Angelina, the plaintiff, for Breach of Promise.

Entrance of the Plaintiff
 
Last edited:
Thank you very much, Og, for posting that clip from Trial by Jury. Very entertaining and humorous, of course, and not one I was familiar with.

plainsong - noun 1. GREGORIAN CHANT 2. liturgical chant of any of various Christian rites
 
The weekend is here. That was a fast one for me. Continuing on with the backward Ps;

plain sail - noun the ordinary working canvas of a sailing ship

plain sailing - noun easy progress over an unobstructed course

plainsman - noun an inhabitant of the plains
 
Hello posters, I hope everyone is having a pleasant Saturday.

Plain People - noun members of any of various religious groups (as Mennonites) who wear plain clothes, adhere to old customs and lead a simple life
 
I must say, it seems like I am having a conversation with myself and a plain one at that! LOL Onward and upward!

plaid - noun 1. a rectangular length of tartan worn over the left shoulder by men and women as part of the Scottish national costume 2.a. a twilled woolen fabric with a tartan pattern b. a fabric with a pattern of tartan or an imitation of tartan 3.a. TARTAN b. a pattern of unevenly spaced repeated stripes crossing at right angles
 
According to George Bernard Shaw in Pygmalion and My Fair Lady: "The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain".

While it might be a useful sentence for teaching correct English, it is geographical nonsense. Like most rain, the bulk of the rain in Spain falls on the mountains and hills, whence in runs down onto the plain.

Equally, how many times does one address a cow in the vocative: How now brown cow?
 
Such alliteration, Og dearest, you maketh my heart swoon. What about Peter Piper and all his pickled peppers? My favorite is toy boat. It looks easy, but three times quickly usually trips the tongue.

plaguey or plaguy - adj causing irritation or annoyance: TROUBLESOME
 
Here is a word I have never encountered in all my sixty years;

plafond - noun a usually elaborate ceiling formed by the underside of a floor
 
Edward, that one is as weird as mine. Thanks for contributing it.

placket - noun 1.a. a slit in a garment b. archaic: a pocket especially in a woman's skirt 2.a. archaic: PETTICOAT b. archaic: WOMAN
 
According to George Bernard Shaw in Pygmalion and My Fair Lady: "The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain".

While it might be a useful sentence for teaching correct English, it is geographical nonsense. Like most rain, the bulk of the rain in Spain falls on the mountains and hills, whence in runs down onto the plain.

Equally, how many times does one address a cow in the vocative: How now brown cow?

Didn't Melville write an entire novel about that- O Moo
 
Just because:
a9820640ef15012ff141001dd8b71c47
 
How perfectly correct, Harold, thanks for posting the comic.

I am adding this next word for the miners;

placer - noun an alluvial or glacial deposit containing parricles of gold or other valuable mineral
 
How perfectly correct, Harold, thanks for posting the comic.

I am adding this next word for the miners;

placer - noun an alluvial or glacial deposit containing parricles of gold or other valuable mineral

Placer can be very deceptive. Many years ago I and 400 other teenage Boy Scouts spent a long weekend panning for gold in a stream near Ballarat in Australia. Assuming 10 hours per Boy Scout, that was 4,000 hours of gold-panning of placer deposits.

Most of us found a few specks of gold - called 'colour'. One Scout found a tiny nugget worth about seven US dollars. The total of all our finds added together was valued at fifty US dollars. That wasn't worth our labour.

Afterwards we were told that the placer had been worked out in the 19th Century by 10,000 miners. We were panning in their spoil heaps.

But a stream in an area of land owned by the Boy Scout Association seemed to be glittering with placer gold in large quantities. Sadly, it was Iron Pyrites, so-called 'Fool's Gold'. All Scouts visiting the land for the first time seemed to spend hours knee deep in the stream collecting 'gold', only to throw most of it back when they found it was valueless.
 
Palustris -originally a Latin word meaning "swampy," now widely used in taxonomy for species names for animals and plants that grow in marshy habitats.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top