The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shall I further entice you? http://windermeremercerisland.com/l...d/9265-Se-36th-Place-98040/10890860?refer=map

I might look up getting fishing licenses and see if I can grab a cheap pole. But we'll have to see how long I can last until my ADD kicks in. :D

I have SADS. As things are I have to gobble vitamin D and use a full spectrum lamp during the darkest four weeks of the year. If I lived 1500 miles further north I'd either have to hibernate or commit suicide. I can't even stand myself around Christmas some years. But if I had the money, a vacation cabin would be wonderful . . .

Angling for ADD victims? No problem. Take up either fly-fishing or plug casting. The constant motion, a dance almost, the myriad different lures to try out keep me quite entertained for hours, even days . . . and that's not easy to do!

Pole in the states can be slang for a rod and reel.

Also a bump to get the Bear unstuck. :rolleyes:

Thank you.
Say "Pole" round here and you could be talking a long bit of carbon fibre tube up to 10m long, with a bit of elastic at the far end. They are used a lot in 'competitions'. As far as I can see they are best used for small fry in large numbers.

I'm back writing again, trying to continue The Copulist Capers. And if I could convince someone to put one more vote on Chap. 3, Jonquil's Diary . . .?

Quite by chance, I looked in the front porch this morning as I went out.
There was a box and in that box was my new reel.
And it ain't bad, either.

Quite by chance, I looked in the front porch this morning as I went out.
There was a box and in that box was my new reel.
And it ain't bad, either.

Well, don't just sit there in front of the screen, go catch a fish! I've been reading about coarse fishing in the UK. Very different from what we're used to here in the States but interesting all the same. Tell me, does anyone eat what they catch or is it all catch-and-release?

Well, don't just sit there in front of the screen, go catch a fish! I've been reading about coarse fishing in the UK. Very different from what we're used to here in the States but interesting all the same.
Tell me, does anyone eat what they catch or is it all catch-and-release?

With a few exceptions, it's all 'catch & release'. The exceptions are that there are some immigrants for whom fish in the canal are a valid source of food in the same was as 'back home'.
Naturally they are doing the fish stocks no good and game wardens, (and others) are trying to cut it all down to a manageable level.

In theory, it is possible to eat most of the fish found in a canal, but I have not seen a recipe more recent that the 1930s ( and that was pike, which have to be soaked for at least 24 hours). Perch are regularly eaten in foreign parts and are classes as a "same species" as our native Perch.
The problem is that the coarse fish in the canal tend to be bony and described as "mud-flavoured".

But there now seem to be a few hints:
See here.

Last edited:
Hmmm . . . relatively unimaginative, IMO. I personally think pike are magnificent. And they are not particularly bony, if you know how to clean fish. If one takes the fillets off each side of the pike and slice under the ribs, the remainder of the fillet is boneless except for a singly row of what is referred to in the trade as 'Y' bones. Running your finger tips down the length of the fillet slightly off center will reveal that the 'Y' bones are in a single line. Drawing your filleting knife down each side of the row of bones leaves you with two long, perfectly boneless pieces of prime meat. Now, what to do with them?

Cut the fillets into roughly square pieces and dredge in flour (oat flour is especially good) that has been seasoned with dry dill weed, ground anise, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Saute' them in hot olive oil until just flaky and set aside. Pour off all the oil except two tablespoons. Deglaze the pan with half a cup of dry sherry and stir in a tablespoon of dijon mustard. When the liquid has been reduced to half, pour in 2/3 cup heavy cream. Reduce the heat and whisk around. Let cook until it thickens then add 1/2 cup butter and whisk in. Pour over the pike and serve with long grain rice. "Bland, tasteless and bony", indeed . . . Philistine!

There is a cookbook published in the UK a few years back called Good Game. It's fish section is a bit limited but worth looking at. I'm not one to advocate hauling out basketloads of fish whenever you are onto a bite, but not taking home enough for lunch is too much like torturing fish for the fun of it . . . assuming one believes fish can feel pain. Personally, I don't believe it but we don't need to get into that. Catching fish is fun. So is eating them.

Hmmm . . . relatively unimaginative, IMO. I personally think pike are magnificent. And they are not particularly bony, if you know how to clean fish. If one takes the fillets off each side of the pike and slice under the ribs, the remainder of the fillet is boneless except for a singly row of what is referred to in the trade as 'Y' bones. Running your finger tips down the length of the fillet slightly off center will reveal that the 'Y' bones are in a single line. Drawing your filleting knife down each side of the row of bones leaves you with two long, perfectly boneless pieces of prime meat. Now, what to do with them?

Cut the fillets into roughly square pieces and dredge in flour (oat flour is especially good) that has been seasoned with dry dill weed, ground anise, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Saute' them in hot olive oil until just flaky and set aside. Pour off all the oil except two tablespoons. Deglaze the pan with half a cup of dry sherry and stir in a tablespoon of dijon mustard. When the liquid has been reduced to half, pour in 2/3 cup heavy cream. Reduce the heat and whisk around. Let cook until it thickens then add 1/2 cup butter and whisk in. Pour over the pike and serve with long grain rice. "Bland, tasteless and bony", indeed . . . Philistine!

There is a cookbook published in the UK a few years back called Good Game. It's fish section is a bit limited but worth looking at. I'm not one to advocate hauling out basketloads of fish whenever you are onto a bite, but not taking home enough for lunch is too much like torturing fish for the fun of it . . . assuming one believes fish can feel pain. Personally, I don't believe it but we don't need to get into that. Catching fish is fun. So is eating them.

Thank you, Bear, for that excellent lesson. Unfortunately, we hit at least one serious snag. My taste buds are shot to hell & back. 'Fraid the radiation has taken it's toll (but it's vastly superior to the alternative).
As if that's not enough, I seldom catch much by way of big fish (it's not as if they're splashing about going "Ha, Ha, you missed" although I do get that impression sometimes). And of course, the boat traffic does NOT HELP.

But given the time & the opportunity, I may give your recipe to someone and get them to do the cooking (If it don't work in a microwave, I'm not at home).

Does that de-boning trick work for Perch as well ?
Can I tempt you to a glass of something?. Gewürztraminer, perhaps ?

I've never caught more than one perch in my life and it was too small to bother with. I have seen pictures of your European perch and am mightily impressed! Y'all get some awesome perch that side of the pond. So I really can't advise you on them. I do know that our various sunfish (which include 'black bass') fillet out nicely though it does take a series of cuts. First you take off the sides. Then you skin each fillet from the tail end and lastly make a slicing cut to remove the ribs. The fin bones ought to stay with the backbone but if they don't, you need to whittle them out, too. A really sharp knife helps.

Here's a YouTube video that's pretty clear on the concept. He's even using a perch!

What species of small fish do you catch?

Last edited:
What species of small fish do you catch?

That all depends upon your definition of 'small', I guess.
For instance, the humble Gudgeon is generally a bit longer than a hands-width, but the record is only 5oz or so, so a 4oz fish would be a real whopper!

But a decent Carp can run to over 40lbs, and I think the record for a pike is over 50.
However, most of my catches run off about 1 to 4 lb.
Bream, Roach, Chubb etc.. as seen here.

Ooo, naked fishing. How fun--and dangerous.

Fun, yes, very much so. You've never seen grace and beauty unless you have watched a beautiful lady fly fish naked.

Dangerous? Yes, I guess flying hooks could get dangerous. :eek:

Morning Molly :rose::kiss:

1-4 lbs is perfectly suitable eating size. Current wildlife management theory is that one should keep fish that are large enough to eat but only just large enough to eat. The larger specimens of any given species are the most important breed stock. Besides, they carry genes for 'larger-ness' and this should be preserved.

Naked fishing . . . Hmmm . . . I have a calendar in the shop entitles "Women in Waders" but they're all wearing bikinis. I wonder . . .

Yup, lots of naked angling being done around. Here's a sample . . .

Last edited:
1-4 lbs is perfectly suitable eating size. Current wildlife management theory is that one should keep fish that are large enough to eat but only just large enough to eat. The larger specimens of any given species are the most important breed stock. Besides, they carry genes for 'larger-ness' and this should be preserved.

Naked fishing . . . Hmmm . . . I have a calendar in the shop entitles "Women in Waders" but they're all wearing bikinis. I wonder . . .

Yup, lots of naked angling being done around. Here's a sample . . .

Some nice pics. I'm working on a deep sea fishing naked story, I'll send you a link when I finish. The girlfriend, her twin daughters and the boyfriend go redfishing ;)

Some nice pics. I'm working on a deep sea fishing naked story, I'll send you a link when I finish. The girlfriend, her twin daughters and the boyfriend go redfishing ;)

Ooo . . . down in the Gulf where it's warm. As you well know, out here the Japan current makes salt-water fishing something for the well covered. That water is damned cold!

Ooo . . . down in the Gulf where it's warm. As you well know, out here the Japan current makes salt-water fishing something for the well covered. That water is damned cold!

I lived out there for a number of years and the old Humbolt current is a bit nipply to say the least. low 50's to the mid 60's ain't swimming water. It comes straight down from the Bering Sea. The fishing is good if you can get near the water for the crowds.

The Gulf is a warm bath compared to out there.

Yup. All those wonderful pictures of bikini'd babes in fins and snorkel are from Florida and the Gulf. Anyone diving out here is in a 5mm wetsuit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back