The Tattoo Artist (closed)

Travis crossed his arms over his chest, an eyebrow peaked as he watched Lexa get good and steamed, he glanced around the room as everyone else seemed to be waiting for a bomb to go off by the looks on their faces, his cocky smirk cooling some, curious why everyone seemed so afraid of this little spitfire. Watching as the women approached him, and somewhere in the back of his mind he could hear warning bells, and he had to physically fight the urge to take a step back, watching her eyes flare and dance, and it would seem his body won out over his mind as he took a step back from her and he faltered debating about stepping back up to her. To him it felt like there was some wall that proceeded her approach, and it made his skin tingle, looking to the mayor as he stuttered and hesitated and faltered with his words he half turned, keeping the women in his primary line of sight That document is part of town charter... Even if you back out over this Travis I can't let you touch Miner's Row. His... historical reasons Travis slowly licked along his bottom lip, again resisting the urge to curl his hands or stick them in his pockets and look away, giving himself a mental kick he squared up his shoulders, that haughty expression returning to his face, letting that mask fall and he smiled “see, after this song and dance, I will admit that I am now more curious about you Lexa…..” he said and made a gesture to the room “you have to be mafia if you scare these bunch of pencil necks shitless, “

He sighed, but It wavered just slightly as he exhaled, straightening his tie he stepped back, making a show of putting the papers back in his briefcase and closing it, not willing to admit that the something about the women was off and he lost the fight to stay standing before her and his skin was prickling. “Fine, whatever, old deal, old paper, no historic value in condemned buildings, I shall re-evaluate the contract and the negotiation terms, but im not giving up because of some spoiled back ally princess with a temper tantrum” he refused to look at anyone as he pulled his sunglasses from his suit pocket and turned to the room “I have a meeting to get to, “ he straightened his tie again and looked to Lexa “Ma’am” he said with far more sarcasm then he really meant, he turned and left the room, once outside he let go a deep breath he didn’t realize he’d been holding, a shudder passing through his body that made his brush his arms. Striding out of the building he got into his car and returned to his office

Once he left she laughed.

Mafia... Did he literally just accuse me of being mafia... Child's play. Since after all my family did remove them from this town centuries ago like naughty children.

With that she left walking out climbing onto her motorcycle and heading back to Miner's Row.

The next week passed quickly for Travis as he paid people off, made inquiries, got together every piece of info he could muster on this so called “miner’s row,” But even with the money he was offered details seemed to be scarce, almost no one seemed willing to talk, and it had him baffled, he’d quickly discovered there wasn’t any Mob presence in the city, most of the crime rate was located in the western half of town but was barely worth mentioning in daily papers. Travis sat in his office scratching his head as he read the old town charter. And reviewed the layout of the proposed building lines, and while he’d discovered that the mayor had been right……..much to his annoyance cause he was never wrong….usually…he sat there tapping his finger on his desk, still thinking back to a conversation he’d had with a half drunk Criminal defense Lawyer from downtown who’d apparently been having a bad day. The lawyer made comments about Luxa and her band of people in Miner’s row, claims that they weren’t human, that the whole lot of them weren’t human and to avoid the area, however Travis dismissed it out of hand as the lawyer clearly had seen better days.

After making a call to the BAR association he left his office, his mind still thinking about things, While he knew that it wasn’t any of his business any longer now that he’d realized he had been wrong, something still seemed to nag him, she was Mafia, or had ties to any criminal organization he could find, and his mind kept flashing back to her eyes, the hypnotic call in her voice, and soon he’d found himself driving back into that part of town looking around. Watching the people slink into the shadows as he passed. And soon found his car idling in front of her shop, staring. A tremor trailed down his spine and he found himself getting out, wondering when he’d become such a wimp he approached as the sun sank below the horizon. The small neon sign saying “open” the only indication this was even a business he walked in, Dressed down in his usual tailored suit he looked around, turning his head as he found himself moving off to a wall with hanging catalogs that offered ink and different tattoo ideas to prospective buyers and began thumbing through them. Finding a lot of the designs to be unique, Oh he’d been in plenty of shops but never got one, as he was on business, but this time, he found himself seriously tempted as he looked through things

Her partner called out to her in the back.

LEXA the suits back... And it looks like he's here to shop.

She walked out of the back room and smiled arms crossed loosely over her chest as she watched him.

Hello again. See something you want?

LEXA the suits back... And it looks like he's here to shop. Travis smirked as he listened to the hum of the lights, only briefly turning his head he looked at the male as he called for the women then walked off. He returned to glancing at the many portraits and designs that they had up on the wall, stop when his hand brushed across an interesting Design that caught his eye, he admired it for its beauty and simplicity before he heard a soft throat clear as he canted his head to look at her, a smile gracing his face, his demeanor relaxed Hello again. See something you want? his eyes traveled the length of her from feet to head then he returned to looking at the drawing before him “I do see something I want” he turned his head and looked around her small establishment before settling on her, his demeanor unchanged, outwardly friendly, the smile seeming to grow a bit “see, “ he started, then closed the book he was looking in “You’ve gotten me curious.” He stated factly “Curious about you, and while it’s never appealed to me, recently some friends of mine have gotten tattoos and well, I decided I would look to see if there was something I would like” his hands dropped, fingers slipping into his suit pockets his thumbs hooked into his belt loops “and well, ive heard some interesting things, and decided to see for myself if youre as good as im told” that was a bold faced lie, however his interest in tattoo was not and he hopped that the half lie would slip by her unnoticed as he picked up the book and opened it to the page he’d seen that flower he was looking at

“You seem to have a good eye for people” he taunted “Id be curious to see what your opinion would be, or perhaps you would know something that might catch my attention more that I would appreciate?” He let the double entendre hang out there. People were scared of her and not willing to talk, he was curious if trying his hand at seduction, or well…….playful politeness might glean him the answers his saught

Oh I am very good at reading people and I know you are not just down here for a tatoo are you? You can't figure out why I command so much respect and sway in this town over a little strip of town forgotten nearly since the gold boom ended. My family has lived in this area since before the town was here. They were one of the first families to make this town and Miners Row was home then and its home now, and home it will stay. My grandfather got in on the federal historical registry before I was born.

She walked over to the book he was looking at and smirked.

Lotus flower... perseverance... a seed lost in the mud till the flower makes its way through the darkness into the sunlight. Interesting choice... unexpected... fitting.

She handed him another book of more tribal animals and symbols.

Perhaps you might want to peruse this one before deciding.

Oh I am very good at reading people and I know you are not just down here for a tatoo are you? You can't figure out why I command so much respect and sway in this town Travis ground his teeth as she surmised his intentions correctly and it irritated the shit out of him, for years he’s always had a great poker face at the bargaining table, and now this sprite of a women was able to read him so easy? He fought to keep the sour look off his face as she approached him another book in her hands, his eyebrow peaking as she looked at what he’d been eyeballing Lotus flower... perseverance... a seed lost in the mud till the flower makes its way through the darkness into the sunlight. Interesting choice... unexpected... fitting. that caught his interest and now he found his attention captured by her insight, while he wasnt particular about tattoos, never having gotten one before, he would be lieing if he said her view on the piece interesting. Taking the book she offered he nodded and thanked her, flipping through it he stopped.

Running his hand over the Tiger design he’d spotted almost immediately, then flipping a few more pages a Hawk design also caught his eye, he let go a sigh as he cocked an eyebrow “Alright, you have my attention, and well…….” He cursed “You were right, I do like the art in this book better” he groused, showing her the tiger and hawk designs “I admit……….ive never gotten Ink before, so artists choice? Whatever the price, im good for it” he didn’t mean for that to sound like a taunt or a challenge at least to his own ears it did , and mentally he kicked himself, he came here to talk about her shop and this “Miner’s Row” but really, what could it hurt if he spent money here, maybe she’d relax and be open to negotiation, or something…Shaking his head as if to clear it he refocused on her and gave his melt business friendly smile “So, what do ya think? “

Hawk...

She smirked.

After all you think you are up so high and everyone else are just supposed to be timid little sparrows in your world. Just remember even a crow can send a hawk running to safety if it believes it home is threatened by the outsider.

She smirked.

New ink discount... It'll just run you 100.

Gesturing around the room.

Pick a chair and decide where you want the hawk.

Hawk…..After all, you think you are up so high and everyone else are just supposed to be timid little sparrows in your world. Just remember even a crow can send a hawk running to safety Travis’ brow furrowed as he looked at her, frowning, it took him a second to think over her words and he gave a sigh and crossed his arms over his chest, an eyebrow peaking “Or Perhaps, Little Miss Attitude, I have a thing for Birds, and actually liked the piece for its artistic value” he shot back at her, “Anndddd, I happen to own a Raven, very intelligent bird and friendly” now he grinned again as he looked around “which chair is yours?” he taunted, moving off to one near the back corner he unbuttoned his shirt “I think I’d like it on my chest, Left Pec, “ he stated as he laid back on the chair, kicking his feet up and crossing his ankles like he owned the thing.

“So, since we are on the subject of Predator and Prey, “ he stated, looking around before his eyes settled on her, and he unconsciously licked his lips to wet them “you have any favorite creatures? Snakes perhaps? You strike me as a reptile lover, calculating creatures, cold blooded” he purposely goaded her, she’d taunted him first about his tattoo selection so he fired a shot across her bow right back, laying his shirt aside a shiver traced up his back as the cool air hit his skin, goosebumps forming and he settled himself more firmly in the chair “First time getting ink, be gentle with me?” he teased

Very much like snakes.

She smirked. If his attitude was causing anything she didn't show it as she watched him sit back in the chair. Getting her stuff ready she began the tat.

Yeah gentle just don't flinch or squirm.

She began the tat oblivious to any looks or his appearance or build... Or at least that was the way it seemed.

Very much like snakes. Travis snorted and muttered something unintelligible, his arm and chest twitching ever so slightly as the needles began their work, he had to take several deep breaths to calm himself, not that he’d been prepaired for the annoying stinging pain he felt, not that it hurt much, at least for the second, just felt like……..well………getting repeated stabbed by a small needle…….Travis mentally slapped himself for that stupid train of thought and rested his head back against the seat, his shirt draped over his lap, he let his eyes and body slowly relax, flinching and hissing only slightly every so often, gripping the chair edge to keep his arm or pectoral muscle from flexing too much and possibly wrecking her work he studied her through hooded eyes, he’d never really looked at her, he was too injured and/or drugged the last time he was here to really pay attention to anything, and the heated exchange at the mayors office had been brief and brutal, but now, with her intent on his chest he allowed himself to actually look at her. Appraising, her long blonde hair cascading down her back, her nearly black/luminescent eyes seeming to glow in the low light, his eyes fell to her lips, and he quickly looked away, shifting slightly in the chair. Ok he was here to try and talk business, not look for a one night stand, kicking himself he cleared his throat and took a deep calming breath “so, you spoke briefly about your family, but I will admit, in the heated exchange in the mayor’s office I didn’t pay much attention to it. So you grew up around here? you’d said your family was here long before this…..”Miner’s Row’ exsisted? Or rather when I was built? I think? Tell me about yourself beautiful” again he mentally slapped himself for the cheesy pick up line and even started to wonder if it was something in the air around here that made his stupid

Family was settlers here long before the town. Miner's Row was the very first piece they built for the town when the Miner's first came. Typical boom town but my family has kept care of Miner's Row ever since. Made deals between the natives and the town and really helped keep the town safe. Born and raised in Miner's Row. Mob won't touch this town. They learned better long ago. Some old vetrans have an MC here in Miner's Row to help keep the peace. You met one of them the other night.

She continued to work undisturbed as they talked.

Travis listened to her as she spoke, relaxing back against the chair he forgot everything but the sound of her voice, studying her, they spoke on and off as she worked on his design, and he was impressed with the efficiency of her movements, how steady her hand was. They spoke at length about many topics, past, present, politics, and he sheepishly apologized for calling her a Mafia princess bitch, he was beginning to enjoy just hearing her talk, her voice had an almost musical quality to it once he stopped thinking too hard about things and just listened, managing to keep his body from twitching too badly throughout the process he exhaled as she finished, setting about cleaning up he used his shirt to wipe off the light sheen of sweat that had began to perspire his chest and neck from how warm the lights were becoming. Sitting back he just watched her for a time as she cleaned and put things away, licking his lips he sighed

“Listen, I know we got off on the seriously wrong foot here,” he hedged, “Its obvious to me that you care a great deal about this small piece of land you’ve carved for yourself, and trust me, I get that,” Travis gingerly put his shirt back on once she had bandaged and covered the tattoo “outside of the money ive invested in projects all across this country, there are people here you care about, I just want to help, while im not as greedy as most other realtors and developers, Sure all these abandoned buildings, the people on the streets, I can help them, I can help you rebuild, bring life back to this area, make things better for everyone, I mean, come on, wouldn’t you like to update things a bit? Newer shop, new equipment? Lower bills because of better wiring and energy savings? Maybe new business? New customers? Think of the people you could help too?” he fell silent, , running a hand through his hair in a habit of someone who’d had long hair for a long time and wasn’t used to it short anymore “Anything you want, anything you need, im offering it to you…”

You don't get it do you? Every one of these buildings in Miner's Row are the exact same buildings first placed on this land to start this town. We keep everything "modernized" within the confines of what this place was and is. This... This is the birthplace of this town.

She shook her head.

Take a look around. Everything is up to date without damaging or erasing any history of this town. These people did this they fixed it all without taking anything away from the true history and beauty of it. You seem pretty smart. What happens you go adding heavy equipment and bigger buildings over the mines? It will all be destroyed by caving in the mines.

Travis face grew neutral as she railed at him, and he fought back a growl of annoyance as again she shut him down, never in the last 12 years of doing business had someone fought him this hard over property he wanted, and the barest thought in the back of his head had begun to question why it was worth this much trouble to begin with, they were at an impasse and he knew he should just walk away, he had the River front, and that alone was worth millions. But this god damned stubborn women pricked at something in him that just wouldn’t allow him to leave it alone, maybe it was just the fact she fought him, he just couldn’t figure it out but he was currently too riled himself at her tone and attitude, but what did peak his interest was her last sentence she’d thrown at him You seem pretty smart. What happens you go adding heavy equipment and bigger buildings over the mines? It will all be destroyed by caving in the mines. Mines? He knew nothing about any mines under the city, nothing at all was in the city utilities diagrams, nothing noted, and his face screwed up in confusion “Mines? What fucking mines?” and his voice was truly baffled, “Ive looked at diagrams, floor plans and topography of the entire city for years as ive made plans and drafted business deals, not once has and underground cave system or mines ever been mentioned. Rerouting of city utilities, gas, electric, water, sewer, nothing, “ he frowned as he studied her, eyes narrowing slightly, as if daring her to again question him. “are you this infuriating to everyone?” he suddenly said, mentally kicking himself in the ass for speaking that outloud

Hello if you know as much as you think you do about this town it was a mining camp in it's creation. Miner's Row... Seriously you can't be this clueless.

The suit just didn't get it and was clearly completely mortal at how stubborn and dense he seemed to be. His comment about her being that way to everyone got a roar of a laugh from her partner.

She has not yet begun to even try yet boy... This is just all natural Lexa.

it was a mining camp in it's creation. Miner's Row... Seriously you can't be this clueless. OK, that managed to shut Travis up, and his face screwed up as he realized ok yea, he guess he did sound a bit dense when he didn’t put 2 and 2 together right away, and rubbed his face in embarrassment and growing frustration, hearing a bark of laughter he glared at the other male who until now he’d forgotten about, barely holding back the impulse the flip the bastard the bird. Travis licked his lips as he shook his head, again running his hand through his short hair before catching himself and sighing heavily She has not yet begun to even try yet boy... This is just all natural Lexa. That got the man a glare “Boy?, Youre not much older then me, if at all punk[/I] Travis shot back, his mind seeming to switching tracks as he looked to Lexa with a half arched smile “All Natural huh?” pointedly letting his eyes roam, taking her all in, an eyebrow peaking “I’d believe that” he teased

So what else do you need explained to you suit?

Lexa smirked before shooting a teasing glare at her partner.

Yeah yeah and this is the longest you have gone without finding any empty patch of skin to doodle on while waiting for customers.

So what else do you need explained to you suit? he sighed and shook his head “well, for starters, you can call me Travis, not suit, Travis Stone, “ he glanced over to the other male in the shop as he still smirked, Lexa and him exchanging playful banter, Travis stifled a yawn as he reached for his shirt, putting it on but leaving it partially unbuttoned so it didn’t brush the still tender skin, he lightly ran his finger over it as he looked at it in the mirror admiring the way the ink seemed to change color as the light moved over it. Turning he took he large bandage Lexa offered him and turned so she could place it over the new ink to protect it,

“so you said $200?” he walked to the male, looking him over as he pulled out his wallet, dropping $400 on the desk “call it a tip for a job well done” he shot over his shoulder, more then a teasing note in his voice as he turned, “this turned out to be easier and less painful then I thought it would be, “ he said, tucking his wallet back into his pocket “So let me ask you something Lexa….you have me intrigued about the cities history now, I would love to discuss it more, ive always been a bit of a history buff, id be interested to hear about your past, say……maybe over dinner?”

Her partner stifled a laugh at the blatant request for a date. Lexa however simply raised a brow to Travis.

We got pizza on the way stick around if you want.

We got pizza on the way stick around if you want. Travis arched a brow, looking to the other man, an eye beginning to twitch he quickly rubbed it “well…….” He turned to look at again Lexa “I was thinking something………..a little quieter……..darker…… more private…were we could continue this interesting discussion, again you seemed to have intriqued me, because nothing I have ever seen or read again has said anything about Mines beneath this city. And trust me, ive been looking over the city plans long enough to have them memorized and never once did “Mines” be mentioned” he smiled, the most charming smile he knew he could muster. “I swear, no funny business, honestly nothing ive been able to think of has worked, and honestly I will admit defeat. “ he sighed, seeming to lose that bravado, “you are a strong women, and there aren’t many who stand toe to toe with me and don’t blink, I’d like to buy you a drink”

I don't tolerate those overly fancy places in the rest of town... We still have the old hotel/saloon here in Miner's Row. Used to be the fanciest place in the region back in it's heyday.

She shrugged and started towards the door.

We'll be at the Silver Songbird.

Travis watched her as she turned and walked to the door, and he took a second to lick his lips before he buttoned up his shirt, deciding it was really going to follow this through that it wouldn’t pay for him to back out now. Picking up his suit jacket he slung it on, as they made their way outside, deciding to leave his car here figuring it would be safe after everything that happened so far and followed through the winding buildings. It was only a scance few minutes before he heard the soft rumble of bass, arching a brow as they came up to another non-descript building with a few signs. He cocked an eyebrow as Lexa and the male walked in, the bouncer nodding to her and allowing them in, Travis looked around, surprised by the amount of people packed into the joint. Even during the day he never saw this many people out in the area, and he partially wondered where they all hid during the day,

The inside held the old world charm and grace in architecture and decor. A waitress guiding them to a table as clearly the elderly owner walked over.

Lexa...

Mariya... This is Travis. He will be the one modernizing the docks region.

The old woman seemed to bristle a little.

You will leave our little touch of home and history alone yes?

Lexa just stood back and left it to Travis to answer her. Mariya was in her 90s and Lexa had on more than one occasion had to prevent the old woman from making good with the knife she keeps in the pleats of her dress.

Travis found himself looking around, his brows lifting in surprise at the warmth and cozy feeling that seemed to permeate the inside of this place, again he found himself wondering how the outside of the building could look so drab, but the inside look like something out of a western movie. Smiling at the elderly lady who seated them, he nodded his head at she was introduced but fought to keep from sputtering as Lexa put him on the spot You will leave our little touch of home and history alone yes? he didn’t miss the smug look Lexa gave him and his eyes narrowed just the briefest bit, his jaw working for a moment he cleared his throat, his easy smile returning to his face as he looked up, sighing and leaned back against his seat “Yes, it would seem…………the planning committee failed to inform me of a few things.” He glanced to Lexa again before returning to Mariya “so yes, I revised my….plans..for the area, I will only be rezoning and building on the docks” he sat back, but his body giving the appearance of casual and relaxed, but he found himself looking around now, second guessing the decision to come here, wondering if this happened to be a trap for him….

He gave his drink order to Mariya and unfolded his menu, rolling his shoulders he waited for the lady to move away before glaring over his menu “that was dirty” he quipped

Back