My Wish For Today

It's a winner-take-all; continues until one player has everything, and everything is the other players' souls. The bets are acts of depravity, and in the final accounting, they have to pay off their debt by committing the acts. Then their chips are turned in, and the winner collects the souls. Five players, two women, three men. Different ages, backgrounds. A lot of bluffing in the game - each trying to outdo the others' depravities to bluff what they're holding...

Have fun, Thee.

It's a winner-take-all; continues until one player has everything, and everything is the other players' souls. The bets are acts of depravity, and in the final accounting, they have to pay off their debt by committing the acts. Then their chips are turned in, and the winner collects the souls. Five players, two women, three men. Different ages, backgrounds. A lot of bluffing in the game - each trying to outdo the others' depravities to bluff what they're holding...

Have fun, Thee.

No. I want it to be more about the poker and the players than anything else, and I definitely don't want a supernatural element to it.

No. I want it to be more about the poker and the players than anything else, and I definitely don't want a supernatural element to it.

OK, substitute lives for souls. They have to pay off by doing the deeds and then "belonging" to the winner, but that's after the story is over. The story is about the game itself - the players' motivations and strategies, the intensity of the bets, the personalities and what they're willing to bet...each hand reveals more about each player.

OK, substitute lives for souls. They have to pay off by doing the deeds and then "belonging" to the winner, but that's after the story is over. The story is about the game itself - the players' motivations and strategies, the intensity of the bets, the personalities and what they're willing to bet...each hand reveals more about each player.

Still, no. Again, I just want it to be about back-room poker, and the players involved in it. Just like Any Given Sunday is about football and the people that play the game, or Bull Durham is about baseball and the people that play it.

Still, no. Again, I just want it to be about back-room poker, and the players involved in it. Just like Any Given Sunday is about football and the people that play the game, or Bull Durham is about baseball and the people that play it.

Good - I seem to have helped you focus. But remember, the characters in Bull Durham (I'm not familiar with the other you mentioned) are 'larger-than-life.'They're far from the ordinary people who play, coach, or seduce baseball.

Good - I seem to have helped you focus. But remember, the characters in Bull Durham (I'm not familiar with the other you mentioned) are 'larger-than-life.'They're far from the ordinary people who play, coach, or seduce baseball.

If you had used Friday Night Lights for that example, I would have believed you. But Bull Durham was about the minor leagues, and most of the players in that movie weren't anything exceptional.

I should just start writing character profiles of the people that I play against in my weekly games. Maybe something will come out of that.

If you had used Friday Night Lights for that example, I would have believed you. But Bull Durham was about the minor leagues, and most of the players in that movie weren't anything exceptional.

I should just start writing character profiles of the people that I play against in my weekly games. Maybe something will come out of that.

Really? They weren't exceptional? You really find them in the minor leagues?

I was thinking about your characters...maybe you could try for some inspiration (not exemplars, mind you) from myth and fiction...perhaps a woman player modeled loosely on Danae...she gets her sexual excitement from the prospect of a shower of wealth...which is what she's looking for in the game. Or maybe a Scrooge, desparately trying tocollect every chip and hold on to it...

again, have fun.

Really? They weren't exceptional? You really find them in the minor leagues?

I was thinking about your characters...maybe you could try for some inspiration (not exemplars, mind you) from myth and fiction...perhaps a woman player modeled loosely on Danae...she gets her sexual excitement from the prospect of a shower of wealth...which is what she's looking for in the game. Or maybe a Scrooge, desparately trying tocollect every chip and hold on to it...

again, have fun.

Yeah... I suck at symbolism... I would just base everyone on traits that I know in real players I know/have known. I would only need about fifteen to eighteen characters. Three dealers (they don't even need to all be characters, I could get away with two of them just being faces in the crowd), the boss, maybe a bouncer, and eight to twelve players.

Yeah... I suck at symbolism... I would just base everyone on traits that I know in real players I know/have known. I would only need about fifteen to eighteen characters. Three dealers (they don't even need to all be characters, I could get away with two of them just being faces in the crowd), the boss, maybe a bouncer, and eight to twelve players.

You seem close to being off and running with it now, Thee. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.:)

Tio, I think you are already writing that poker story! It sounds totally :cool:. One of the players is Faust, of course, and one is Danae. Who could the others be?
:rose:

:heart: - TGP, writing down the character profiles seems like a good start.

I opened up Open Office and froze. I started typing my replies to Tio and everything started flowing again... If I were a better writer I would be able to write in a proper text editor...

I opened up Open Office and froze. I started typing my replies to Tio and everything started flowing again... If I were a better writer I would be able to write in a proper text editor...

Glad to have helped,Thee. You know who to call if it freezes again...;)

It was perfectly spring today. A little gloomy, but 58 is a good spring temperature.

__

I wish I wouldn't wake up with a headache every Saturday.

I wish it would stop raining. The flooding is beyond serious already.

Back