Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 07-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #3826
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Met my goals through the weekend last night (actually, at 4 am this morning): mainstream mystery final review off to publisher; habu GM "first times" Anthology Beyond the Beaded Curtain final review off to the publisher; monthly quota of Christmas cards painted; mainstream anthology compilation up to date; Summer Lovin' entry back from editor and corrections done. Now it's off for a tennis tournament in D.C. for the long weekend.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #3827
topace
Lit's Resident Eagle

Love to get something written today, but with having to work at 1:30 to 10 PM and having a 2 KM walk each way, I doubt I'll get anything written today!

Old 07-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #3828
JAMESBJOHNSON

My pointy headed buddy with the gunboat shoes gave me an idea for a character name, hows about LAURA LOVESCRAFTS.

Moved the tale along a wee bit. Like a bottle of pennies, every penny of prose adds up if you toss one into the bottle every day.

Last edited by JAMESBJOHNSON : 07-28-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #3829
lovecraft68
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESBJOHNSON View Post
My pointy headed buddy with the gunboat shoes gave me an idea for a character name, hows about LAURA LOVESCRAFTS.
Oh, you mean this tramp?

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/LauraLovecraft

Old 07-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #3830
lovecraft68
Literotica Guru

I'm on my fourth and final review of my novel before I launch it this Wednesday (my wife's b-day, hoping the little minx brings me some luck).

Right now I have one thing to say.

Fuck these assholes! I'm sick of my own characters! Fuck mark, and Allison and Justine and screw The Circle and their rules and who the fuck was the genius who thought they could write a scene featuring twelve characters?

Grrr. I've definitely reached the point where I see what people mean by over editing. I'm convinced I could go through this thing 20 times and keep finding things to edit, add or change.

Right now I'm on page 307 of 550 and I'm hoping to be done by tomorrow afternoon.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #3831
JAMESBJOHNSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecraft68 View Post
I'm on my fourth and final review of my novel before I launch it this Wednesday (my wife's b-day, hoping the little minx brings me some luck).

Right now I have one thing to say.

Fuck these assholes! I'm sick of my own characters! Fuck mark, and Allison and Justine and screw The Circle and their rules and who the fuck was the genius who thought they could write a scene featuring twelve characters?

Grrr. I've definitely reached the point where I see what people mean by over editing. I'm convinced I could go through this thing 20 times and keep finding things to edit, add or change.

Right now I'm on page 307 of 550 and I'm hoping to be done by tomorrow afternoon.
I got the perfect cure for your problem. I'll get it and post it here in a jiffy.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #3832
JAMESBJOHNSON

Here yuh go LC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5jp5...eature=related

Old 07-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #3833
RjThoughts
they call me The Rojodi!

We left Virginia Beach VA at 10 am yesterday. We arrived at home 14.5 hours later! That's not a good trip, since it should have taken us only 10 hours, 11 tops!! So much traffic!!

Today's goal is to pick through the ideas I've had during the week and see what will make a good short story, which will be good novels.
Now proud **Playgrounder #333*

"It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well." Rene Descartes

Sleep well, but always, always dream better

Old 07-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #3834
PennLady
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjThoughts View Post
We left Virginia Beach VA at 10 am yesterday. We arrived at home 14.5 hours later! That's not a good trip, since it should have taken us only 10 hours, 11 tops!! So much traffic!!

Today's goal is to pick through the ideas I've had during the week and see what will make a good short story, which will be good novels.
My parents live near the Jersey shore, and I hate to say it but I don't like visiting them in the summer, as it's always a challenge to avoid traffic. We'd be going with the traffic flow; if they come to see us, they go against in. On the other hand, we don't have the beach.

Goal for today: get new cell phones for me and Mr Penn.

Writing goal: maybe later.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #3835
JAMESBJOHNSON

I live a mile from the beach and havent laid eyes on it in 30 years. In fact, I visit a fleamarket thats maybe 500 feet from the Gulf yet never see it.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #3836
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
I live a mile from the beach and havent laid eyes on it in 30 years. In fact, I visit a fleamarket thats maybe 500 feet from the Gulf yet never see it.
That explains a lot.

All Stories By TxRad

What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.
Not to mention, battered, bruised, contused,
and completely dazed and confused.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #3837
JAMESBJOHNSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRad View Post
That explains a lot.
Whereas TEX leaves most of us with mouths open wide...and speechless.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #3838
matriarch
Rotund retiree

I'd be happy to just open up a new story page on my lappie.
I will.
One of these days I will write again.
Latest poem:The Senses of Love (written for the erotic poetry challenge);
Latest story: She loves me, she loves me not.
;
My gallery thread

This is me in a nutshell.

"I was attempting to be nice, it burned....smug is good....be smuggy." - Abs
Goose Grading:Goddam fuckin' adorable!!
My favourite comment from Colly: "Few write caring, loving erotica with the flare you do."
"Mats inpsired Alien Sensations. Her belief in me gave me the courage to try Sci-fi/fantasy."- Colly

Old 07-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #3839
topace
Lit's Resident Eagle

I'll be happy if I get done a couple of paragraphs today.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #3840
JAMESBJOHNSON

Had a sweet plot bunny pop into my noodle earlier. Gotta file it for a while, till I finish the Lucy and Ethel tale.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #3841
JAMESBJOHNSON

Be it ever so humble, I added today's installment to the pile. No excuses!

Re-read a few chapters from George V. Higgins writing book, ON WRITING. He talks about all the problems larval writers have: writers block, excuses, hurt feelings, etc., and adds that it took him 17 years to publish his first novel, and it was a huge success that included a movie. His 2nd book was published 40 years ago, and Brad Pitt stars in the movie version being released this Fall. The race doesnt go to the swift. Higgins eventually published something like 33 books.

Editors are stupid and heartless, and every publisher is hot to buy books like last years bestseller.

Last edited by JAMESBJOHNSON : 07-29-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #3842
BuckyDuckman
Literotica Guru

I recently posted my first mind control story, http://www.literotica.com/s/creating-georges-mystery - a 1919 word shortie that was light on sex. It received two very nice comments, but horrible scores. Oh well.

Working on a new mind control story. I like how it's coming together but it's begging to be bigger than I want to write, so I've been beating it into submission. I tend to write in marathon sessions, which are difficult to find right now.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #3843
TinyBeth
Really Experienced

My goal for the day is to add more realistic dialogue and further flesh out the characters in my story.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #3844
JAMESBJOHNSON

So I'm thinking and wondering how much confusion readers will tolerate at the beginning of a tale. Will they suffer more if the parts are interesting?

Old 07-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #3845
lovecraft68
Literotica Guru

Quote:
So I'm thinking and wondering how much confusion readers will tolerate at the beginning of a tale. Will they suffer more if the parts are interesting?
I think confusion in the beginning is a double edged sword. On one hand a reader like myself would want to press forward to see what the hell is going on, but others(who are a little more lazy) may say screw this and go onto to something else.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #3846
JAMESBJOHNSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecraft68 View Post
I think confusion in the beginning is a double edged sword. On one hand a reader like myself would want to press forward to see what the hell is going on, but others(who are a little more lazy) may say screw this and go onto to something else.
OK. Hows about a caveat like this at the beginning: PLEASE READ MY STORY, AND I PROMISE TO RESPECT YOU IN THE MORNING. REALLY.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #3847
BuckyDuckman
Literotica Guru

Always tough to decide when to end some stories. Personally, I enjoy an open ended story that hints at a direction without resolving every little thing. I managed to submit the mind control story I was working on - and I'm feeling a bit like I might get slammed for ending it where I did. There's room for a lot more writing to the story, but I'm not interested in writing a novella length piece... so, I drew it to a hasty close, left it open ended, and I'll hope for the best.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #3848
PennLady
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyDuckman View Post
Always tough to decide when to end some stories. Personally, I enjoy an open ended story that hints at a direction without resolving every little thing.
Ha! I agree, but when I ended my last story (Rhythm and the Blue Line) along those lines, I got slammed by about half of those that left comments. Amazing.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #3849
JAMESBJOHNSON

Added a little more to THE STORY. Ethel joins a flashmob, and meets Fred who clerks at the store.

Then read some more of the Higgins ON WRITING book. Each chapter comes with an example of what Higgins judged the best prose ever: Dickens, Hemingway, Gay Talese, William Manchester et al. He characterized George Eliot as torture to read. But mostly he ridicules young writers and their Pool of Narcissus style. Higgins sez that the only thing the young writer knows for sure is inside her pants, and what she knows the rest of the world knew long ago. So young writers are mostly boring. LIT didnt exist before he died, so he never truly knew how awful writing can be.

Unfortunately young people dont read books, and what theyre forced to read is George Eliot, which turns them OFF to reading...period.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #3850
topace
Lit's Resident Eagle

I'll be happy if I get any story writing done, as I have a website to work on setting up today.