The Nobel Prize (for propaganda)




Dr. Salby said he had an “involuntary gag reflex” whenever someone said the “science was settled... Anyone who thinks the science of this complex thing is settled is in Fantasia.”


A ~31 minute talk followed by ~26 minutes of Q&A:
http://youtu.be/YrI03ts--9I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrI03ts--9I&feature=player_embedded

PROFESSOR MURRY SALBY
Chair of Climate, Macquarie University
Atmospheric Science, Climate Change and Carbon – Some Facts

Carbon dioxide is emitted by human activities as well as a host of natural processes. The satellite record, in concert with instrumental observations, is now long enough to have collected a population of climate perturbations, wherein the Earth-atmosphere system was disturbed from equilibrium. Introduced naturally, those perturbations reveal that net global emission of CO2 (combined from all sources, human and natural) is controlled by properties of the general circulation – properties internal to the climate system that regulate emission from natural sources. The strong dependence on internal properties indicates that emission of CO2 from natural sources, which accounts for 96 per cent of its overall emission, plays a major role in observed changes of CO2. Independent of human emission, this contribution to atmospheric carbon dioxide is only marginally predictable and not controllable.

Professor Murry Salby holds the Climate Chair at Macquarie University and has had a lengthy career as a world-recognised researcher and academic in the field of Atmospheric Physics. He has held positions at leading research institutions, including the US National Center for Atmospheric Research, Princeton University, and the University of Colorado, with invited professorships at universities in Europe and Asia. At Macquarie University, Professor Salby uses satellite data and supercomputing to explore issues surrounding changes of global climate and climate variability over Australia. Professor Salby is the author of Fundamentals of Atmospheric Physics, and Physics of the Atmosphere and Climate due out in 2011. Professor Salby’s latest research makes a timely and highly-relevant contribution to the current discourse on climate.
 
Last edited:

Michael Mann is a bad actor. It comes from playing to the crowd rather than engaging in diligent, head-down, thorough science. He is trying, desparately, to salvage his reputation. That he wasn't called out by his peers is a testament to how bad things got in climatology.

The blind acceptance of shonky work by both climatology and the media is a horrifying episode in the history of science. No wonder Dr. Jonathan Jones, professor of physics at Brasenose College, Oxford, called it "pathological science."



Checking In
By Steve McIntyre

Sorry for both the radio silence and the lack of notice. No one reason, but a combination of things.

As I mentioned in passing about five weeks ago, I was sick for a while. Nothing serious, just a seasonal cold/flu. But it totally sapped all my energy for about two weeks. I’d mostly recovered about 8 days before the US Squash Doubles, which I’d committed to in the fall. I’ve had one leg injury after another this season and haven’t played much squash this winter and, when I’ve played, my play has been spotty at best. And with the flu, I wasn’t in good shape. So I was a bit embarrassed at my condition and apologized to my partner in advance. To make matters worse, even though we were second seeds, we had a hard draw. We eked out a win in the quarters, 15-13 in the fifth. We had a good win in the semis against a team that has won dozens of championships. In the final, we played the top seeds (we had lost to them in the final last year, points in the 5th; and had lost to them 4 times in a row in finals.) We fell behind 2-0, but prolonged the match to the 5th. Tied 13-13 in the 5th, lost the next point. Match point against. Won the next two points and the championship (over-60s).

We felt pretty good afterwards, but I paid a price over the next 2 weeks. The final went for nearly 2 hours and I’m not in shape to play that long. So I was playing on fumes. And because I was excited about winning, I didn’t do a long stretch afterwards. I also had to catch a plane back to Toronto from New York. My legs totally froze up the next day and gave secondary pain in my knees, my back. It hurt to do anything. I waited to long to get physio. In the second week, I finally got physio to get ready to play in the Canadians. I was able to get on the court but neither of us played well and we lost in the first round to an unseeded team. The combination of results caused some amusement in the squash doubles community. I ended up aggravating injuries and have been pretty miserable for the past two weeks. Nothing serious and nothing that proper physio can’t deal with.

Meanwhile, I’ve been very busy with mining business. I’m not very good at compartmentalizing things and like to work on one thing at a time. I’ve also lost energy as I get older and the blogging took a back seat.

I had also spent some time considering a response to Mann’s book. It amazes me that a reputable scientific community would take this sort of diatribe seriously. Mann’s world is populated by demons and bogey-men. People like Anthony Watts, Jeff Id, Lucia, Andrew Montford and myself are believed to be instruments of a massive fossil fuel disinformation campaign and our readers are said to be “ground troops” of disinformation. The book is an extended ad hominem attack, culminating in salivation in the trumped up plagiarism campaign against Wegman, arising out of copying of trivial “boilerplate” by students (not Wegman himself). Wegman’s name nearly 200 times in the book (more, I think, than anyone else’s).

Virtually nothing in its discussion of our criticism can be taken at face value. Mann begins his account by re-cycling his original outright lie that we had asked him for an “excel spreadsheet”. Mann’s lies on this point had been a controversy back in November 2003. The incident was revived by the Penn State Investigation Committee, which had (anomalously on this point) asked Mann about an actual incident. Instead of “forgetting”, as any prudent person would have done, Mann brazenly repeated his earlier lie to the Penn State Investigation Committee. Needless to say, the “Investigation” Committee didn’t actually investigate the lie by crosschecking evidence, but accepted Mann’s testimony as ending the matter. In the book, instead of leaving well enough alone, Mann once again re-iterated the lie.

Or to pick another example, Mann noted the controversy about the contaminated Korttajarvi sediments (Tiljander), but conceded nothing. Mann said that there was no “upside down” in their “objective” methods and asserted that his results were “insensitive to whether or not these records were used”, a statement contradicted in the SI to Mann et al 2009. In any sane world, Mann would have issued a retraction of the many claims of Mann et al 2008 that depended on the contaminated Korttajarvi sediments. But instead, more attacks on critics.

Picking all the spitballs off the wall is laborious, to say the least.

Perhaps because I was sick, perhaps because I was tired, but, for whatever reason, one day I woke up and I was sick and tired both of the Team and the broader “climate community” that enables them and in which they thrive. I sense that the wider public has a similar attitude.

I’m starting to feel a little better now that spring is coming. I’ll start posting again in a couple of weeks, but doubt that I’ll ever post as much as I have in the past


 


Wait Wait— this is NPR: You Can't Say That.





Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!


Daily News Quiz
The online version of the oddly informative weekly radio show

April 25, 2012

A leading scientist, who has warned of the climate change threat for decades, recently made a bold pronouncement. What did he say?

  • New York will be underwater by 2015
  • Armageddon is next Tuesday
  • Hurricane landfalls will triple in 2013
  • It's actually not all that bad





You got it ! The answer is...

It's actually not all that bad

Scientist James Lovelock, who became a hero to the environmental movement with his pro-conservation "Gaia" theory, is known for his bold predictions about climate change. He once stated that by the end of the century "billions of us will die and the few breeding pairs of people that survive will be in the Arctic where the climate remains tolerable." In a recent interview with msnbc.com, though, Lovelock admits to being "alarmist" about climate change and said it's not as bad as he once feared.

As you might imagine, progressives and environmentalists were not pleased with Lovelock's comments. Within hours of the interview's publication, the National Association of College Town Liberals revoked Lovelock's membership, impounded his Prius and confiscated his Whole Foods tote bag.



http://www.npr.org/templates/quiz/quiz.php
 

Somebody put their finger on the scale:


chron_siteadj2.png



http://climateaudit.org/2012/05/06/yamal-foi-sheds-new-light-on-flawed-data/


 


by Matt Ridley, Ph.D.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Ridley

http://climateaudit.org/2012/05/26/myles-allen-and-hide-the-decline/#comment-335178


Far from being an irrelevancy, for me personally, the MBH hockey stick was absolutely vital in first extinguishing my scepticism then fiercely re-igniting it. When I first saw it, I was blown away by the clear evidence of unprecedented climate change, and I immediately told people I was no longer sceptical about climate change, a subject I had not been paying much attention to or writing about at that point, but had expressed some doubts about in print a few years before. That it had been published in Nature was good enough for me at the time. Aha, I thought, a smoking gun.

Then when I came across Steve’s work and realised how full of holes both the method and the data were, and that the IPCC was not interested in listening the criticisms, it made me doubly sceptical about not only paleo-climate data, but climate change theory generally, Nature magazine’s standards and — following the farcical enquiries — the British scientific establishment’s willingness to be bought. The hockey stick was by no means the only thing that caused me to change my mind twice, but it was the most salient.
 

Another Hockey Stick Broken

by Andrew W. Montford ( "Bishop Hill")

There are some important findings at Climate Audit today. Once again I have tried to set out a layman's version of the discussion there.

One of the perennial problems with temperature reconstructions has been a lack of data covering the southern hemisphere - the Hockey Stick itself was a northern hemisphere reconstruction, although the IPCC billed it as global in extent. However, a recent paper by Gergis et al sought to partially remedy this by presenting an Australasian temperature reconstruction for the last millennium, based on 27 proxy records, primarily from tree rings and corals. The headline was, perhaps not unexpectedly, that late twentieth century warming was unprecedented:

The average reconstructed temperature anomaly in Australasia during A.D. 1238–1267, the warmest 30-year pre-instrumental period, is 0.09°C (±0.19°C) below 1961–1990 levels.​

However, when the paper was examined in more detail, alarm bells began to be sounded. Concern centred around the proxy data sets used in the study...

more...

http://www.bishop-hill.net/blog/2012/6/7/another-hockey-stick-broken.html


 
For all you Climate Change eggheads out there...

Antarctic ice shelves not melting at all, new field data show
By Lewis Page Posted in Science, 25th June 2012 07:19 GMT

Twenty-year-old models which have suggested serious ice loss in the eastern Antarctic have been compared with reality for the first time - and found to be wrong, so much so that it now appears that no ice is being lost at all.

"Previous ocean models ... have predicted temperatures and melt rates that are too high, suggesting a significant mass loss in this region that is actually not taking place," says Tore Hattermann of the Norwegian Polar Institute, member of a team which has obtained two years' worth of direct measurements below the massive Fimbul Ice Shelf in eastern Antarctica - the first ever to be taken.
 
For all you Climate Change eggheads out there...

Antarctic ice shelves not melting at all, new field data show
By Lewis Page Posted in Science, 25th June 2012 07:19 GMT

Twenty-year-old models which have suggested serious ice loss in the eastern Antarctic have been compared with reality for the first time - and found to be wrong, so much so that it now appears that no ice is being lost at all.

"Previous ocean models ... have predicted temperatures and melt rates that are too high, suggesting a significant mass loss in this region that is actually not taking place," says Tore Hattermann of the Norwegian Polar Institute, member of a team which has obtained two years' worth of direct measurements below the massive Fimbul Ice Shelf in eastern Antarctica - the first ever to be taken.

This a perfect example of how the deniers deliberately distort, cherry-pick, and misrepresent legitimate scientific research in order to serve their political agenda.

The actual scientific study examined the Fimbull ice shelf in Eastern Antarctic and found that it was melting at a slower rate than current Global Warming models had predicted. Antarctic ice is melting due to warmer ocean water flooding the ice pack from below, and is therefore not as easy to monitor as the melting of land-based arctic ice.

The article Fuckwaffle cites -- which appears in a rag called "The A Register" -- then jumps to the conclusion that no antarctic ice is melting, which is simply and deliberately wrong (e.g. see CBC News)

This kind of bullshit anti-science is typical of the deniers, and I'm tired of having to look into this stuff and reveal the bias and nonsense. I'm all for open scientific debate and theorizing, but sorry shit like this is just pitiful.

A few suggestions for the next time anyone stumbles across some piece of denier "science" and get the urge to post:

(1) Consider the source: Find the original scientific study, not some pop misinterpretation of it. In a legitimate peer-reviewed journal, and not some hack sheet put out by the Oil and Gas Industry.

(2) Google the author. Is he a published, credentialed geoscientist and not some crank with a PhD in Sports Nutrition or MRI in the pay of Big Coal? All PhD's are not equal, and even a Nobel Prize doesn't allow you to criticize work outside your own special area of expertise.

(3) Read the damned article. What's it really saying? There's now a huge mountain of science supporting the idea of GW. Picking on one study's data collection method's not going to change that.

And by the way. Trysail? Steve McIntyre is a mathematician and mining engineer (wow! I wonder who supports his research? Could it be mining interests??) and doesn't even have a graduate degree in those fields. He's not a geoscientist. Google him.

And Dr Salby's statement that the science isn't "settled" is NOT the same as saying that the science is wrong. It means it's not settled yet. It's not complete. There are adjustments and refinements to be made, as Fuckwaffle's sadly misinterpreted ice sheet data shows, and science is making them.

I can't believe that you're dumb enough not to know that, so I can only assume that you're reduced to just blowing smoke.

And I'd wish you;d make up your mind. Either (a) GW isn't happening, or (b) it is happening but isn't caused by anthropogenic CO2. You can't have it both ways, that is isn't happening and it isn't caused by humans.
 
Last edited:
...And by the way. Trysail? Steve McIntyre is a mathematician and mining engineer (wow! I wonder who pays his salary?), not a geoscientist. Google him.



So what ? Michael Mann is a dendrochronologist by trade. I wonder who pays his salary ?



S_timeseries.png


 

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/06/...bains-use-of-denier-in-scientific-literature/
By Dr. Robert G. Brown
Professor of Physics
Duke University

The tragic thing about the thoughtless use of a stereotype (denier) is that it reveals that you really think of people in terms of its projected meaning. In particular, even in your response you seem to equate the term “skeptic” with “denier of AGW”.

This is silly...



...I strongly suggest that you read Feynman’s rather famous “Cargo Cult” talk...

more...
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/06/...bains-use-of-denier-in-scientific-literature/

 
I have no problem with skeptics. I have no problems with legitimate scientific dispute and disagreement.

But when people consistently and willfully misrepresent, distort, and fabulate data to support a cause, I have to believe that they're motivated more by a personal agenda than by any interest in scientific veracity, and are therefore actively involved in the denial of truth.

Hence, Deniers.
 
I have no problem with skeptics. I have no problems with legitimate scientific dispute and disagreement.

But when people consistently and willfully misrepresent, distort, and fabulate data to support a cause, I have to believe that they're motivated more by a personal agenda than by any interest in scientific veracity, and are therefore actively involved in the denial of truth.

Hence, Deniers.


A case in point; somebody put their finger on the scale:


chron_siteadj2.png



http://bishophill.squarespace.com/blog/2012/5/9/the-yamal-deception.html

http://climateaudit.org/2012/05/06/yamal-foi-sheds-new-light-on-flawed-data/




 
I have no problem with skeptics. I have no problems with legitimate scientific dispute and disagreement.

But when people consistently and willfully misrepresent, distort, and fabulate data to support a cause, I have to believe that they're motivated more by a personal agenda than by any interest in scientific veracity, and are therefore actively involved in the denial of truth.

Hence, Deniers.

Gee, you mean like those Evangelist that started the Global Warming/Climate Change Religion over in England?
 
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-to-the-big-controversy-a-k-a-climate-change/



( Ivar Giaever, Ph.D., shared the 1973 Nobel Prize in physics )

Nobel Laureate calls CAGW pseudoscience
by Mariette DiChristina
Scientific American

...As he took the stage for his turn, Giaever’s immediate remark was, “I am happy I’m allowed to speak for myself.” He derided the Nobel committees for awarding Al Gore and R.K. Pachauri a peace prize, and called agreement with the evidence of climate change a “religion.” In contrast to Crutzen and Molina, Giaever found the measurement of the global average temperature rise of 0.8 degrees over 150 years remarkably unlikely to be accurate, because of the difficulties with precision for such measurements—and small enough not to matter in any case: “What does it mean that the temperature has gone up 0.8 degrees? Probably nothing.” He disagreed that carbon dioxide was involved and showed several charts that asserted, among other things, that climate had even cooled. “I pick and choose when I give this talk just the way the previous speaker picked and chose when he gave his talk,” he added. He finished with a pronouncement: “Is climate change pseudoscience? If I’m going to answer the question, the answer is: absolutely.”
 
Last edited:
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-to-the-big-controversy-a-k-a-climate-change/



( Ivar Giaever, Ph.D., shared the 1973 Nobel Prize in physics )

Nobel Laureate calls CAGW pseudoscience
by Mariette DiChristina
Scientific American

Giaever is a mechanical engineer who later did work in biophysics. He's certainly entitled to his opinion, but it's just as likely he suffers from The Infamous Nobel Disease:

The Nobel disease has been defined as "an affliction of certain Nobel Prize recipients which causes them to embrace strange or scientifically unsound ideas, usually later in life."*

Examples of the Nobel disease include:

Pierre Curie, physics (believed in spiritualist Eusapia Palladino)
Ivar Giaever, physics (global warming denier)
Louis J. Ignarro, physiology or medicine (Herbalife Niteworks)
Brian Josephson, physics (psi)
Philipp Lenard, physics (Nazi ideology)
Luc Montagnier, medicine (homeopathy, autism, 'radiation' from DNA))
Kary Mullis, chemistry (supports astrology, denies anthropogenic climate change, denies HIV causes AIDS)
Linus Pauling, chemistry (vitamin C as panacea)
Charles Richet, physiology (ectoplasm/mediums/telepathy)
William Shockley, physics (race & IQ)
John William Strutt, 3rd Baron Rayleigh, physics (president Society for Psychical Research)
Nikolaas Tinbergen, physiology or medicine (autism)
James Watson, physiology or medicine (race & IQ)


-------

Your use of the Antarctic sea ice data is typical of your naivete when it comes to uncritical acceptance of data that seems to support your cause and your total lack of interest in looking beyond the obvious: the "How can global warming be happening when it's cold out today" school of thought.

The true significance of increased antarctic sea ice is explained here and here. Antarctica is gaining sea ice but losing land ice, and at an accelerating rate.

I'm sure you could have found a graph of this had you chosen to look, but that would have ruined your argument, wouldn't it?

Or wait... How about just posting a diagram of changing antarctic temperatures?

Ah... Here we go:

Antarctic_temp_trend_2007.jpg




Or a simple graph of antarctic ocean temperatures...

Southern_Ocean_Temp2.gif



Why don't I see this data in your thread? A little 'selective editing' of the data?

....

Finally, let me tell you what me real concern in all this is, and why I won't dignify your pseudoscience by responding to this crap anymore.

You can dispute the effects of atmospheric CO2 on climate all you want, but one effect CO2 is having that's beyond reasonable refutation in on the acidity of the oceans. Ocean acidity is a function of dissolved carbon dioxide, which hydrates to form carbonic acid. There's an equilibrium in sea water between dissolved CO2, carbonic acid (H2CO3), bicarbonate ion (HCO3-) and bound (insoluble) carbonate (CO3--). The equilibrium is complex, but there's no doubt that increasing the concentration of CO2 gas results in an increase in carbonic acid and a drop in the pH of seawater, i.e. more acidic sea water.

The pH of seawater has been steady for at least 300 million years. It has now been rapidly dropping at an unprecedented rate, threatening the existence of coral reefs, mollusks, crustaceans and calciferous plankton especially, who need a low-acid environment in order to grow their shells. Plankton, of course, are the basis of most of the ocean's food chains. There's little doubt that this acidification is due to anthropogenic CO2.

Map of present-day dissolved anthropogenic CO2:

800px-WOA05_GLODAP_pd_aco2_AYool.png



Map of changes in CO3-- seawater concentrations (less CO3-- means more Carbonic Acid)

800px-WOA05_GLODAP_del_co3_AYool.png


Now you can argue about the accuracy of the hockey stick graph all you want, but to ignore what CO2 is doing to our oceans is fucking criminal in my mind.

Happy sailing!
 
Last edited:
With you, rational discussion ended a long time ago.

I also thing Doc beat you at your own game of cut and paste. Good job doc.
 
I also thing...


It's good to know that you're thinging about these things:



normalise

http://www.woodfortrees.org/plot/rs...83/trend/plot/esrl-co2/from:1996.83/normalise

Richard Feynman: "In general we look for a new law by the following process. First we guess it. Then we compute the consequences of the guess to see what would be implied if this law that we guessed is right. Then we compare the result of the computation to nature, with experiment or experience; compare it directly with observation, to see if it works. If it disagrees with experiment it is wrong."

The most important component of climate science is careful, long-term observations of climate-related phenomena, from space, from land, and in the oceans. If observations do not support code predictions—like more extreme weather, or rapidly rising global temperatures—Feynman has told us what conclusions to draw about the theory.

-William Happer, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics
Princeton University
 
Typos happen when you actually type something instead of cutting and pasting everything. But then again, you don't cut and paste everything, You just paste what fits you idea of things.

Keep beating your chest and yelling. It will be interest to see the expression on your face when the carbonic acid takes the anti-fungal paint off the hull of your boat. You do know about the reaction of anti-fungal paint and acid, right?
 
Code:
2012 Phases of the Moon
                            Universal Time

        New Moon   First Quarter       Full Moon    Last Quarter    

         d  h  m         d  h  m         d  h  m         d  h  m

                    Jan  1  6 15    Jan  9  7 30    Jan 16  9 08
    Jan 23  7 39    Jan 31  4 10    Feb  7 21 54    Feb 14 17 04
    Feb 21 22 35    Mar  1  1 21    Mar  8  9 39    Mar 15  1 25
    Mar 22 14 37    Mar 30 19 41    Apr  6 19 19    Apr 13 10 50
    Apr 21  7 18    Apr 29  9 57    May  6  3 35    May 12 21 47
    May 20 23 47    May 28 20 16    Jun  4 11 12    Jun 11 10 41
    Jun 19 15 02    Jun 27  3 30    Jul  3 18 52    Jul 11  1 48
    Jul 19  4 24    Jul 26  8 56    Aug  2  3 27    Aug  9 18 55
    Aug 17 15 54    Aug 24 13 54    Aug 31 13 58    Sep  8 13 15
    Sep 16  2 11    Sep 22 19 41    Sep 30  3 19    Oct  8  7 33
    Oct 15 12 02    Oct 22  3 32    Oct 29 19 49    Nov  7  0 36
    Nov 13 22 08    Nov 20 14 31    Nov 28 14 46    Dec  6 15 31
    Dec 13  8 42    Dec 20  5 19    Dec 28 10 21
 

An El Niño may be about to form in the equatorial Pacific Ocean. The number of warm spots across the central Pacific has grown, leading climatologists to believe an El Niño may form between now and September, according to the U.S. Climate Prediction Center.

El Niño also has been known to bring about mild winters across the northern U.S. and western Canada as well as more rain to the U.S. South. It occurs every two to five years on average, and lasts about 12 months.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.html


 

What in the world does this have to do with anything?? The hoaxer presented a false news item to a bunch of undergrads and told them it was true and they believed it, and why not? What the sweet fuck does this have to do with anything?

You want to fool a scientist? Light a bag of dogshit on his front porch and watch him stomp it out. Does that mean the work he's staked his life and reputation on is just as specious?

I find this a lot more germane than some half-assed attempt to fool undergrads.

Scientific consensus

The finding that the climate has warmed in recent decades and that human activities are already contributing adversely to global climate change has been endorsed by every national science academy that has issued a statement on climate change, including the science academies of all of the major industrialized countries.[37]


...

Many governmental reports, the media in many countries, and environmental groups, have stated that there is virtually unanimous agreement in the scientific community that human-caused global warming is real.[38][39][40][41] Among opponents of the mainstream scientific assessment, some say that there is consensus on humans having an effect on climate without universal agreement about the quantitative magnitude of anthropogenic global warming (AGW) relative to natural forcings and its harm to benefit ratio.[42] Other opponents dismiss it altogether, or highlight the dangers of focusing on only one viewpoint in the context of what they say is unsettled science, or point out that science is based on facts and not on opinion polls.[43][44]

Environmental journalist George Monbiot revealed that a list titled "500 Scientists Whose Research Contradicts Man-Made Global Warming Scares"[45] published in 2007 by the Hudson Institute and distributed by the Heartland Institute included numerous scientists who had demanded to be removed from the list.[46][47] The Heartland Institute refused requests by scientists to have their names removed, stating that the scientists "have no right—legally or ethically—to demand that their names be removed from a bibliography composed by researchers with whom they disagree."[48]

A 2010 paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences analysed "1,372 climate researchers and their publication and citation data to show that (i) 97–98% of the climate researchers most actively publishing in the field support the tenets of ACC outlined by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, and (ii) the relative climate expertise and scientific prominence of the researchers unconvinced of ACC are substantially below that of the convinced researchers".[49][50] Judith Curry has said "This is a completely unconvincing analysis", whereas Naomi Oreskes said that the paper shows that "the vast majority of working [climate] research scientists are in agreement [on climate change]... Those who don't agree, are, unfortunately—and this is hard to say without sounding elitist—mostly either not actually climate researchers or not very productive researchers".[50][51] Jim Prall, one of the coauthors of the study, acknowledged "it would be helpful to have lukewarm [as] a third category".[50]
 
Back
Top