Your Garden 2017

Wow. That's a lot! How big of an area do you use for all your veggies?

The previous owners set the brambles, grapes and trees and I'll put the strawberries and asparagus over there.

Potatoes will be in pots. This year the kitchen garden is only 20' by 50' but I'll plant it pretty intensively and do succession plantings.

Hopefully next year we'll start installing raised beds.
 
Continuing to paint the weeds in my flowerbeds with herbicide.

I got bluebirds in my nest box, their babies hatched a couple days ago.

While keeping an eye on my Bluebirds last weekend I pulled crabgrass that broke through the weed'n'feed barrier. I figured disturbing the earth for bird grub was a bonus.
 
they don't like orange!

get an orange oil garden spray for the base of your plants, and anywhere you find their trails. that helps deter sugar ants coming into the house as well. it won't hurt the plants.

I didn't know that. I'll definitely try it out. Thank you! :rose:
 
The previous owners set the brambles, grapes and trees and I'll put the strawberries and asparagus over there.

Potatoes will be in pots. This year the kitchen garden is only 20' by 50' but I'll plant it pretty intensively and do succession plantings.

Hopefully next year we'll start installing raised beds.

I wish I had that much room for veggies.
I should try the potatoes in pots idea.
 
Yea!! Go garden thread!! LOL

:D

Ok, I'll put some shit up by this weekend for sure B\

It's supposed to stop raining tomorrow afternoon.
 
today maybe....


My harry baker crap apple and the later of my two quinces the name of which escapes me.

I don't suppose you know anything about medlars? šŸ˜³ Never planted them, only picked and bought them, and bletted them. I have read of an Iranian variety so sweet it does not need bleating, this appeals!

I've heard of/seen them but never studied them or their horticultural needs.

They sound interesting enough to try and find some of the fruit.

If I like it I might put the time in to grow it for my own stash of nom noms.
 
There has been 4 days of heavy rain so I am excited to take new photos after a day of hot sun. Spring has been kind thus far.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20170425_173751.jpg
    IMG_20170425_173751.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
The wind! Gah!

We get heavy rains overnight and wind during the day. Neither of which are ideal for finishing the soil (using a manure fork to get the rocks [that the previous owners apparently just gardened around] and whatever volunteer-cover-crop-type-weed helped itself to my turned soil).

Luckily I've got a couple more weeks before things get dire.
 
Horrendous north wind all this week in the UK, and in the North East the apple blossom was just bursting at the weekend. Not gonna frost, so I'm hoping the flowers will pause in their development and kick start again next week.

Meanwhile, the hives I checked on Sunday have frames already heavy with new season honey, so my honeybees are past danger of spring starvation with this change of weather. Clever little girls, stopping inside and supping the lovely this week. In fact, girls and boys now, as queens have been laying drone larvae to end the women-only winter survival mode as they do.

Such a thing, seeing queens again after the long winter months of not opening the hives. They humble me in their prolific laying capacity, and in the constant attention they are given by their worker daughters.

And, ... thanks for the thread, BB! :)
 
My bluebird nestlings should be fledging soon! Lost one over a week ago, there are 3 babies left now.
 
some peppers flowering. cats invading, and knocking shit down. i need to just cage them all. tomatoes are getting settled in. i need to mulch. slow bolt cilantro in the window. berries taking form. they should take off after the next rain.
 
I have a 40 year old rear tine rototiller that had a tired motor. I found a brand new one for about $250.00 so I just put that in. Just about ready to start tilling.
Gotta get some new perenials cause of the bloody mice.
The veggie garden is about 30'x30' and I have tiered planters for flowers total about 180' so it takes a bunch of flowers to fill them
Still bloody cold though
 
Back
Top