Small animals in Southern Wisconsin

jezzilee

*cun~tastro~phe*
Are committing suicide by vehicle in mass quantities.

Skunks
Raccoons
O'possums
Turkeys
Squirrels
Beavers
Cats

And occasionally the larger animals have found there morose life coming to an end as well...

Deer.

Is it because spring is the time of lovers and mating and some of these animals just feel jilted that the others are getting all of the attention?

What is driving these poor little critters to hurl themselves into traffic?

I think they all just need a little hug!

There is a fat raccoon in the forest that is thankful I drove the truck yesterday instead of the Honda.

Was reading that roadside verges plants can emerge earlier. Salt collecting after winter might attract them too.

Animals instinctively avoid humans usually. I wonder if that instinct will ever develop concerning cars and vehicles. Maybe too much of a foreign concept for animals to conceive.

^^ We keep cutting their migration and foraging paths. I often find various turtles crossing the road. If I'm on foot, I'll give them a 'lift' to the other side.

^^ We keep cutting their migration and foraging paths. I often find various turtles crossing the road. If I'm on foot, I'll give them a 'lift' to the other side.

I stop my car and get them to safety I love animals!

I stop my car and get them to safety I love animals!

But only if safe to do so. Your life isn't worth a raccoons or skunks.

Was a fellow a few years ago breaked hard for geese crossing the road. Got rear ended and lost two kids. A lady stopped on a northern road to let some ducks get across. Killed the two motorcyclists that came up behind her.

Roads may be taking the place of apex predators.

The possums in my yard have made it clear I intruding on their space. Nasty aggressive little bastards The cars can have them.

Skunks
Raccoons
O'possums
Turkeys
Squirrels
Beavers
Cats

And occasionally the larger animals have found there morose life coming to an end as well...

Deer.

Is it because spring is the time of lovers and mating and some of these animals just feel jilted that the others are getting all of the attention?

I'm thinking that a roadkill BBQ cafe might be a decent biz in Wisconsin.

Skunks
Raccoons
O'possums
Turkeys
Squirrels
Beavers
Cats

Deer.

I have seen, and almost hit, more turkeys this spring than ever before!

Skunks
Raccoons
O'possums
Turkeys
Squirrels
Beavers
Cats

Deer.

Salt, they're all pecking at the side of the road for the winters salt.

Or they're horny...it is Wisconsin ;)

We have had a lot more rain this year. Lots more vegetation. The desert was green all over. They should have increased grazing ratios. We will have massive wildfires this summer.

Bugs are ridiculously thick. I have to run the car through tbe carwash daily, sometimes twice. Bunnies are all over and bold. I see them in residential and commercial areas lately.

I see far less coyotes than usual and I assume that's because they're fat, happy and sleeping with full bellies.

I hear 'em howling about every night, but I've never seen one.

But only if safe to do so. Your life isn't worth a raccoons or skunks.

Was a fellow a few years ago breaked hard for geese crossing the road. Got rear ended and lost two kids. A lady stopped on a northern road to let some ducks get across. Killed the two motorcyclists that came up behind her.

Roads may be taking the place of apex predators.

I will admit, I have put myself in harms way on more than one occasion to save animals.

The possums in my yard have made it clear I intruding on their space. Nasty aggressive little bastards The cars can have them.

I love them. It is sad though that people think they are so rotten. Their sneer on their faces of the copses on the road? Wouldn't you be pissed if you got run over by a car?? I think it is only a natural response to their imminent demise.

I'm thinking that a roadkill BBQ cafe might be a decent biz in Wisconsin.

Love this... and you Sir, are correct!

I have seen, and almost hit, more turkeys this spring than ever before!

Agreed. I have almost hit a few on the way to work lately.

Salt, they're all pecking at the side of the road for the winters salt.

Or they're horny...it is Wisconsin ;)

You have a point there!

Shit happens when you don't look both ways before crossing.

No one ever taught them how!

Hey I like animals too...right next to the mashed potatoes.

:D

Oh, you of all people know that I am one carniverous bitch. I love my meat.

We have had a lot more rain this year. Lots more vegetation. The desert was green all over. They should have increased grazing ratios. We will have massive wildfires this summer.

Bugs are ridiculously thick. I have to run the car through tbe carwash daily, sometimes twice. Bunnies are all over and bold. I see them in residential and commercial areas lately.

I see far less coyotes than usual and I assume that's because they're fat, happy and sleeping with full bellies.

Not a lot of bugs yet this year which is surprising considering the daily amounts of rain we have had!

Dang, looked for my yote pic and cannot find it in photobucket!!

Your most likely to see their eyes reflecting artificial light back at you. That's a creepy feeling seeing a pack of them starring back at you from a field or roadway.

I could never not brake for animals. Even if I was putting myself in danger, it's instinct. Now with some folks I'd reverse over the fuckers a few times just to make sure I'd done a good job.

Your most likely to see their eyes reflecting artificial light back at you. That's a creepy feeling seeing a pack of them starring back at you from a field or roadway.

Kids at the school crossing? Chilling little fucks aren't they.

Ever watch the guy riding infront of you hit a coyote on a motorcycle? Holy shit I thought he was dead...the coyote certainly was!

Still bummed about a turkey that didn't make it across the road near our place last night.

Rarely see coyote road kill; once? They are wily. But still sad about several young foxes I saw a few years ago that didn't make it. Ugh.

Honestly, I shouldn't live in the country since road kill of any kind makes me unhappy. I need to develop a tougher skin.

We also have coyotes, fox and possum on the half-shell...

Woodchucks, gophers and chipmunks, OH MY!

Back