Need advice from shoe sales personnel

bailadora

We create the dreams.
Does anyone know how shoe sizes work, in terms of how much additional space there is when ascending the scale?

The pair of navy pumps I recently purchased online are way too small for me. They are purportedly a women's 5 (US), but I can barely get my foot into it. When I do, the tip of my big toe is at the very end of the shoe, my toes are all cramped together, and the back of the shoe cuts into my heel.

They do have larger sizes available, but with how tightly these things fit, I don't know if I should size up a half or a whole size. A call to the vendor was less than helpful, as the CSR couldn't really tell me anything about it, except to apologize that they didn't fit, and to issue a return slip.

Since it's such a bitch to find my size in a brick and mortar store, I really don't want to give up on these yet. If you're in shoe sales, and you have any advice for me, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

Does anyone know how shoe sizes work, in terms of how much additional space there is when ascending the scale?

The pair of navy pumps I recently purchased online are way too small for me. They are purportedly a women's 5 (US), but I can barely get my foot into it. When I do, the tip of my big toe is at the very end of the shoe, my toes are all cramped together, and the back of the shoe cuts into my heel.

They do have larger sizes available, but with how tightly these things fit, I don't know if I should size up a half or a whole size. A call to the vendor was less than helpful, as the CSR couldn't really tell me anything about it, except to apologize that they didn't fit, and to issue a return slip.

Since it's such a bitch to find my size in a brick and mortar store, I really don't want to give up on these yet. If you're in shoe sales, and you have any advice for me, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

As a general rule, a whole size is about a cm. It is not exact. For my sons, one of whom is a size 16, we were better off using the cm measurement only. There was too much variation otherwise.

As a general rule, a whole size is about a cm. It is not exact. For my sons, one of whom is a size 16, we were better off using the cm measurement only. There was too much variation otherwise.

See Wikipedia on shoe sizes. Anglish foot sizes are based on peppercorns, as with the inch and dram. There's a fine folk history there.

Not only am I the Fashion Fairy, but my first job was selling women's shoes.

Show sizes vary so greatly from manufacturers. In fact, the brand of shoes I typically wear vary greatly and that's the same maker. I generally know what size I'll wear, but I'm often surprised at how small or how big a particular pair may be. For instance, I have one pair that's a 10.5 EEE that was very narrow (that's right ladies) when I received it. I have a shoe stretcher, so I worked that bugger out. Most of their shoes are a 10 D, for me.

I say all that not to make my dick sound wider than it is, but to say that shoe size is insanely inconsistent. While there is a general rule for the sizes, the variation is great.

It sounds like you could stand to go up a half size (at least) and possibly another width. I presume your size is a 5 B. Perhaps try a 5.5 D. The beauty of ordering from the manufacturer is that, if they make the size, you can order it- rather than trying to get it at a store.

I feel your pain, baila. I wear size 5 to 5.5 depending on the brand. I try to stick to the same brands because they consistently fit.

It's a pain in the arse, isn't it, Meeks? I try to keep to the same vendors, but they don't always come through for me. The trend in ladies shoes is going towards more of a pointy toe, and that just isn't me. So when I found these for a decent price (they're even less now than when I first ordered them), I was thrilled.

Pmann, it doesn't look like they offer any other width than a M. Theoretically, I could order both the half and the whole size up, but then I'd have to ship back two pairs of shoes that don't fit. Thoughts?

There are a lot of people fapping to this thread for a lot of weird reasons.

It's a pain in the arse, isn't it, Meeks? I try to keep to the same vendors, but they don't always come through for me. The trend in ladies shoes is going towards more of a pointy toe, and that just isn't me. So when I found these for a decent price (they're even less now than when I first ordered them), I was thrilled.

Pmann, it doesn't look like they offer any other width than a M. Theoretically, I could order both the half and the whole size up, but then I'd have to ship back two pairs of shoes that don't fit. Thoughts?

Ugh, I can never find my size in the shoes I like. I love short heels, pointed or rounded toes work for me. Those shoes are great, BTW. (*^^*)

Well, at least you would have the ones that fit. It would suck to order them and they don't fit and then you have to do another order. You could at least know in one more order whether they will work at all.

One thing I've learned from my days working in women's shoes is that it's difficult to get the right fit on women's shoes. We all loved selling in the men's department. Size and fit seemed to be much more simple. Or the men were less fickle pickles. Not sure which.

I would order both sizes and see.

Since it's such a bitch to find my size in a brick and mortar store

I do not know where you live, but if you're near a Nordstrom -- esp a Nordstrom Rack -- give it a check. I fall at the other end of the shoe spectrum and it was a wonder when I walked into the Rack the first time to find several sections of wall shelves in my size.

Amazonian also. I'm an 11. Every now and then, a 10.5W will fit me, but a standard 11 is usually the ticket.

my wife wears an 11-12 so i'm gonna lurk to see if i can get any suggestions. :>

ed

Nordstrom Rack does have good selection. However, their prices are much more dear. Bailadora found a nice looking pair of shoes at an amazing price.

AGLs have a size run that would even challenge pmann's shoe tree collection. So does Anyi Lu. Before you cringe at the price tag, they will last you forever and you can sometimes find them at The Rack for less. Watch the semi-annual sale for discontinued colors (which usually means that the toe cap is different or the silver buckle was replaced with gold)

Back