What Made You Smile/Laugh Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Step 1. Identify the best local caterer.
Step 2. Call this caterer to order a turkey dinner.
Step 3. Accept all post-meal accolades with subdued humility.

Hah, that's definitely one way. :)

I was actually given a turkey breast today, so I need to cook it myself, so I think I'm gonna go with what K and C_in_C have suggested. Some serious googling probably won't do any harm, either. But yeah, we're having turkey tomorrow. Or take out. Depending on the results.

This thread is possibly even better for cooking tips than the cooking thread. :)

Thanks again, everybody! I've read all your tips and made a mental note.

I use butter in my brownies and they're always fine.

these are the best brownies, hands down:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Best-Cocoa-Brownies-108346

I would just adjust your temp and not worry about anything else. Do you have an oven thermometer? Maybe your oven is off.

I have great respect for ITW, who is one of our most dedicated and accomplished foodies. However, in my humble experience (which is not particularly limited in this regard) THESE are the best brownies, hands down.

I have great respect for ITW, who is one of our most dedicated and accomplished foodies. However, in my humble experience (which is not particularly limited in this regard) THESE are the best brownies, hands down.

I don't know, there are some "brownies" here in Nelson that definitely go above and beyond your normal recipe. ;)

I don't know, there are some "brownies" here in Nelson that definitely go above and beyond your normal recipe. ;)

I dare say that's due to a very non-chocolate ingredient, one that I find very hard to source at my local grocery store. ;)

Watch this space - next I'm gonna ask how to cook turkey breast, because I've never done it. (I promise, I'm not an idiot in the kitchen, it's just that these American staples are not my forte. Probably because I'm not American and I have some weird, underlying patriotic tendencies that only ever surface when I'm cooking.)

again, I'm not the best cook (mostly because I'm not going to bother to cook for myself and my super finicky son) but one of the few things I do well, is a bourbon/whiskey turkey. This should work with a breast too. I marinate the turkey over night in salt, pepper, brown sugar, and a whiskey/ bourbon of your choice. I put the salt, pepper, brown sugar, butter, on the thawed bird, then cheese cloth over, put tooth picks in the top, so the burbon penetrates, and pour the bourbon on top, let soak over night in the fridge. Baste throughout cooking. Comes out so juicy and the flavors are subtitle.
One year my brother ate all the skin off the whole turkey. One year I added some cola, once some honey, just experiment. But warning, your house will smell, I can't drink Southern Comfort anymore after smelling it cook all day. My Mom loves the So. Co. though.
I think I'll try a breast this way, this year.

again, I'm not the best cook (mostly because I'm not going to bother to cook for myself and my super finicky son) but one of the few things I do well, is a bourbon/whiskey turkey. This should work with a breast too. I marinate the turkey over night in salt, pepper, brown sugar, and a whiskey/ bourbon of your choice. I put the salt, pepper, brown sugar, butter, on the thawed bird, then cheese cloth over, put tooth picks in the top, so the burbon penetrates, and pour the bourbon on top, let soak over night in the fridge. Baste throughout cooking. Comes out so juicy and the flavors are subtitle.
One year my brother ate all the skin off the whole turkey. One year I added some cola, once some honey, just experiment. But warning, your house will smell, I can't drink Southern Comfort anymore after smelling it cook all day. My Mom loves the So. Co. though.
I think I'll try a breast this way, this year.

I've found that the only way I can enjoy Southern Comfort is to lick it off a breast.

I've found that the only way I can enjoy Southern Comfort is to lick it off a breast.

bc30df98.jpg

2 questions.

1 - are we talking turkey breast or a whole turkey?

2 - and this just occurred to me...Keroin, how does one accidentally boil a turkey?

2 - and this just occurred to me...Keroin, how does one accidentally boil a turkey?

OK, I seriously, for real, laughed out loud at this.

Long story short, while living in Japan maaaaaany moons ago, my employer asked if I would cook an Easter turkey feast for her family. I, being young and stupid, agreed. Also, I had never cooked a turkey before in my life.

I could write a very long description of the comedy or errors that ensued, but I will skip to the "boiling turkey" part.

I had to special-order the turkey. It arrived on the day of the dinner - FROZEN SOLID! I tried thawing in warm water but that was not working. Solution? I started boiling kettles of water and pouring those over the turkey. Voila - happy accident!

Despite overwhelming odds, the dinner turned out amazingly good and the turkey was one of the most tender I have ever eaten. My boss's 92 year old grandma had never eaten turkey before in her life and she was on cloud nine. She also swiped the last of stuffing away from me as I was about to spoon some onto my plate. :eek:

Watching turkey dinner being eaten with chopsticks was also a highlight. :D

Thanks for your ideas midwestyankee and Keroin. The first take I had thinking about it yesterday scared the hell out of me but after a lot of thought I realised that I really *could* do some of this stuff, and that I'm going to have to if I want this to be more than a hobby (which it could be, but isn't recognition nice?)

I spent a lot of time researching writing groups and found a new one that starts in a few weeks, so I won't be the new person trying to break into an established group. I'm also going to try a more established groups that offers bi-monthy workshops. I have the suspision that it may be geared towards retired hobbyists, but it's worth a try. I will also start a blog, not that I have any idea of what I'll write there yet. And I promise will get onto On Writing ASAP.

I really do love writing and I'm feeling a pull to it unlike anything else so I'm just going to run with it and see where it takes me!

I won't forget your pm box is open and I will leave cupcakes with my questions ;)

Long story short, while living in Japan maaaaaany moons ago, my employer asked if I would cook an Easter turkey feast for her family. I, being young and stupid, agreed. Also, I had never cooked a turkey before in my life.

I could write a very long description of the comedy or errors that ensued, but I will skip to the "boiling turkey" part.

I had to special-order the turkey. It arrived on the day of the dinner - FROZEN SOLID! I tried thawing in warm water but that was not working. Solution? I started boiling kettles of water and pouring those over the turkey. Voila - happy accident!

Despite overwhelming odds, the dinner turned out amazingly good and the turkey was one of the most tender I have ever eaten. My boss's 92 year old grandma had never eaten turkey before in her life and she was on cloud nine. She also swiped the last of stuffing away from me as I was about to spoon some onto my plate. :eek:

Bahaha! What an awesome story! I'm guessing your employers didn't realise you used an 'alternative' cooking method? :D

Next time I want roast chicken but I've forgotten to take it out of the freezer I am so going to boil it in the sink first.

ITW - it's just a turkey breast (and honestly, I didn't know those things are so big... Like I said - turkey is not a staple here!) that I came into possession of through a happy accident.

The baby is bobbing in the brine as we speak, with orange, thyme and rosemary and a bit of this and that. I've also checked the phone number for a Chinese restaurant, in case we need to use plan B.

And Keroin - that's a story to remember! :D

I'll bake yours if you'll bake mine.

Ha - well, we need a side by side!

omg, what a story! Hysterical!

ITW - it's just a turkey breast (and honestly, I didn't know those things are so big... Like I said - turkey is not a staple here!) that I came into possession of through a happy accident.

The baby is bobbing in the brine as we speak, with orange, thyme and rosemary and a bit of this and that. I've also checked the phone number for a Chinese restaurant, in case we need to use plan B.

Let us know how it turns out! I don't know that you really need to brine a breast but it will probably turn out great!

Reading some of the posts here made me laugh. As well as a conversation with a friend of mine who wanted to makes reservations at a Japanese restaurant. She told me she loves watching the Hibachi chef. Of course, my randy mind heard Hitachi chef. :eek:

Thanks for your ideas midwestyankee and Keroin. The first take I had thinking about it yesterday scared the hell out of me but after a lot of thought I realised that I really *could* do some of this stuff, and that I'm going to have to if I want this to be more than a hobby (which it could be, but isn't recognition nice?)

I spent a lot of time researching writing groups and found a new one that starts in a few weeks, so I won't be the new person trying to break into an established group. I'm also going to try a more established groups that offers bi-monthy workshops. I have the suspision that it may be geared towards retired hobbyists, but it's worth a try. I will also start a blog, not that I have any idea of what I'll write there yet. And I promise will get onto On Writing ASAP.

I really do love writing and I'm feeling a pull to it unlike anything else so I'm just going to run with it and see where it takes me!

I won't forget your pm box is open and I will leave cupcakes with my questions ;)

Excellent, RB! And there really is nothing wrong with writing as a hobby, (it's a lot less work and a lot less stressful, but you still get all the fun!). Regardless, you'll figure it out as you go. Everyone finds their own path. :)

As for King's book, take the business end of it with a grain of salt. Things have changed dramatically since the days King was sending out short stories to horror magazines. There is still great value in sending out those stories, IMO--not least of all to get used to the constant rejection all writers have to live with--but the markets are smaller and so is the pay. His actual advice on the craft, however, is bang on.

Good luck with the writer's group(s)! And don't ever be afraid to switch groups if you feel you just aren't getting what you need. Have fun and enjoy this time; the first bonfire of creativity is the most exciting! :rose:

Bahaha! What an awesome story! I'm guessing your employers didn't realise you used an 'alternative' cooking method? :D

Next time I want roast chicken but I've forgotten to take it out of the freezer I am so going to boil it in the sink first.

Oh dear, I've started a trend. ;)

Ha! I got a million of 'em. Maybe I should write a book? :D

omg, what a story! Hysterical!

Also good? When I said to my boss, "OK, the turkey's just about thawed, you might as well tell your dad to pre-heat the oven."

Boss: "Oven?"

Another detail overlooked - very few Japanese homes at that time had the kind of large ovens us westerners are used to. Oops!

Ha - well, we need a side by side!

Not really. I will be willing to trust your judgment of my recipe versus your experience with your preferred recipe, just as I hope you would be willing to trust mine.

Besides, even if you determine that your preferred recipe is better (not likely, but I do have to plan for all possible contingencies), you'll still have a batch of really freaking good brownies on hand and since when is that ever a bad thing?

Ha! I got a million of 'em. Maybe I should write a book? :D

Cupcakes, Stunt Falls and Paperbacks: A Life in Print and Pain

Former stuntwoman K recounts a rich life of lessons learned and bridges left unburned.

Contents:

The Early Years: Always Carry Bear Repellent
Life is a Stunt: Hollywood Calls and My Chiropractor Answers
Guerilla Battles in the Cupcake Wars
Hotel on the Rock: How I Learned to Love a Penguin from Afar
Good Fences Make Good Paydays
Warp Speed: Making the Jump from Blurts to Blurbs

Cupcakes, Stunt Falls and Paperbacks: A Life in Print and Pain

Former stuntwoman K recounts a rich life of lessons learned and bridges left unburned.

Contents:

The Early Years: Always Carry Bear Repellent
Life is a Stunt: Hollywood Calls and My Chiropractor Answers
Guerilla Battles in the Cupcake Wars
Hotel on the Rock: How I Learned to Love a Penguin from Afar
Good Fences Make Good Paydays
Warp Speed: Making the Jump from Blurts to Blurbs

I'm going to pitch this to my agent. :D

Ricky Gervais took the words from my mouth! Well, he took the words I wish I could have so eloquently formulated.

Why I'm an Atheist

And, no, this isn't a poke at the believers here or an attempt to stir up that old argument, I was just impressed with how well he explains himself. And how much that explanation resonated with me and the way I see the world.

Ricky Gervais took the words from my mouth! Well, he took the words I wish I could have so eloquently formulated.

Why I'm an Atheist

And, no, this isn't a poke at the believers here or an attempt to stir up that old argument, I was just impressed with how well he explains himself. And how much that explanation resonated with me and the way I see the world.

It kind of sums up my philosophy of life: You won't burn in hell but be nice anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back