Where are the Star Trek fans on Lit?

Hated it.
If for nothing else, that J.J.Abrams took the chickenshit route and made it one of those "alternate timeline" theme's so it is not really canon, and DID NOT provide ANY history of the original characters. Just a so so summer blockbuster with a cast of forgettable "hotties of the moment".

Meh.



Have you caught any of the "new" TOS where they modernized the effects? Actually pulled it off not too bad.

What makes me cringe though? I was once talking to a local detective that investigates child sex crimes. He said "We always divide pedophiles into two groups...."
"Star Wars or Star Trek" :eek:

If you're talking collectible's, you would be looking at a lot smaller pool of "stuff" to choose from with Star Wars, versus how many movies, television episodes with how many characters in Star Trek? I.E. how many forehead prosthetics would Worf go through just for one episode in a season with a few dozen episodes?

Trust me, there is more in the way of Star Wars,

The Kenner Action figures from the late 70's into the Return of the Jedi number in the hundreds then there were the Power of the force series of figures that kicked back in in the 90's

there's a lot of stuff.

I recently bought a tote of action figures from a guy for $300. At the bottom was a Jawa action figure still on the card from the original run of figures.

Even with the card bent and torn and the plastic yellowing, I still got close to $700.

Trekkies wouldn't pay $700 for the enterprise itself
 
Another Trekkie here. My favorite characters were Brent Spiner as Lt. Data, Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi, Jeri Hansen as Seven of Nine, Robert Picardo as The Doctor, Armin Shimerman as Quark, Nana Visitor as Kira Nerys and Rene Auberjonois as Odo.

Watching William Shatner chew the scenery as Capt. Tiberius Kirk is still fun after all these years. :D
 
OMG Babylon 5! I so loved it. I used to watch it with my team-mates when I was a girl who liked girls playing rugby. When the Susan Ivanova and Talia Winters got it on there wasn't a dry seat in the house!
I love the new film. I love anything Trekkie, I don't care how cheesie. I loved Galaxy Quest! Is there a new film coming out? I'm so excited already.
One year my fella bought me this netbook for Christmas as my laptop was failing (gives faithful beloved netbook little stroke). I thought that generous gift would be all I got. Imagine my joy when I answered the door one morning to the postman with a large cardboard box from Amazon marked on the side with that most famous of split infinitives: To Boldly Go! I knew he had finally got me the boxed set of Star Trek films. He was very annoyed that Amazon had given away what he had bought - and so close to Christmas. I was so excited the postman nearly got his Christmas kiss!
I'm starting to show my daughter the first Star Trek series. I think it's important that kids get a good grounding in the classics.
 
Star Wars fans will spend like there is no tomorrow.

"Wait, that stained handkerchief was once used to wipe the brow of the cousin of the guy who played the Greedo in Star Wars? Will you take $500 for it?

Boys with toys, eh! Star Trek fans are in it for the characters and stories.
Although I always envied my friend his revolving plastic model of Princess Leia in combat gear.
 
Jeri Hansen as Seven of Nine,

I think you mean Jeri Ryan, Hansen was her characters original surname in the show.

(Yes, this post is just a rather thinly veiled excuse to out myself as a Star Trek fan)
 
I think you mean Jeri Ryan, Hansen was her characters original surname in the show.

(Yes, this post is just a rather thinly veiled excuse to out myself as a Star Trek fan)

Quite right.
As a fan of "7of9", she was /is worth looking at (Voyager was on out TV the other day. Her make-up was most impressive and her figure almost awe-inspiring).
But perhaps not the greatest actress to be seen on screen.
 
I've been a devotee of classic Trek since discovering the syndicated shows in my middle school years. At the time there was nothing on the air even remotely similar. In the dark years of the 70s (OK, giving away my age), I fondly recall the thrill of reading James Blish's adaptations of the original episodes. These are fine science fiction novellas whether or not you care for the shows.

As for the spin-offs, I think Paramount predictably milked the cow too hard. However, I do have a very few favorite episodes sprinkled here and there in the spin-offs.

I also concur with NaokoSmith - Babylon 5 is excellent for the story arc and the rich characters. G'Kar's musings on Swedish meatballs - priceless.
 
Just wondering what this group thought of the 2009 Star Trek movie with the history of the original characters and everyone being so young. I like it a lot and own it, of course. The new one coming out is causing some speculation in the press, I see.

I enjoyed the 2009 Star Trek (I own it too). As far as the alternate timeline (mentioned by Porkwarrior) that didn't bother me. In fact I found it a reasonable -- for Star Trek, sf, etc. -- way to introduce new things into the ST canon. Sometimes trying to stay faithful to the same outline limits you. And do we need to see the same adventures with different people?

DS9 is my favorite ST series, I think, even though I didn't get to see all of it.

I also like Star Wars, probably a bit more, just b/c I'm more familiar with it. Never been into the collectibles, etc. - that's Mr. Penn's area.

Some of the actors were good, but I was not pleased by Abrams' decision to make Chekov (yes, I stick with the series' spelling even though it is wrong), a member of the same Academy class as Kirk, Sulu, Uhura and McCoy.

Now, see, I didn't even know about all that. :)

OMG Babylon 5! I so loved it. I used to watch it with my team-mates when I was a girl who liked girls playing rugby.

I loved B5 too! Missed my old Friday night lineup of X-files, B5 and Millennium. Sigh. B5 may have had the best female characters, now that I think about it.

Galaxy Quest -- also excellent.

And how has this thread gone this long with no mention of Firefly?
 
I think you mean Jeri Ryan, Hansen was her characters original surname in the show.

(Yes, this post is just a rather thinly veiled excuse to out myself as a Star Trek fan)

Whoops, my bad. She could assimilate me anytime. :devil:
 
I am also a big fan of the original series and hope to own all of them someday, even though a few of the shows were really dumb. We shall have to see how the new movie coming out does with the fans and the critics.
 
guilty as charged...love all genres of the series and the movies, even the cheesy ones.
 
OMG Babylon 5! I so loved it. I used to watch it with my team-mates when I was a girl who liked girls playing rugby. When the Susan Ivanova and Talia Winters got it on there wasn't a dry seat in the house!

I did not see too many of the programmes, but Ambassador deLen made a really nice impression on me.
 
Haven't seen Babylon 5, but I have seen Andromeda.

I loved that show with a passion.
 
I rented the original Star Trek series last year and I must admit, I was amazed how many times Captain Kirk ended up without a shirt, showing off his muscles, in the first season. I guess they wanted to make sure women were watching, too.
 
_1922.jpg


Thinking of you. :)
 
I rented the original Star Trek series last year and I must admit, I was amazed how many times Captain Kirk ended up without a shirt, showing off his muscles, in the first season. I guess they wanted to make sure women were watching, too.

When first I watched the original ST, I was struck by the similarity to "Wagon Train" (with Ward Bond). Unlike WT, however, ST grew on me.
 
I loved Wagon Train, of course, and all the other western shows, like Bat Masterson, and so forth. Early Star Trek had many of the same elements at work, with only wardrobe and set differences to tell them apart. Early movies were just like radio shows or Broadway productions, until they figured out how to expand on the innovation.
 
Back
Top