Engineers.

I was a Machinists Mate in the Navy -- a 'propulsion engineer' on an aircraft carrier. We were very much the Morlocks among the crew; the guys who kept the place running, but you never wanted to actually see us. Every once in a while we would pop up and eat one of the aviation guys who had strayed from their safe zones.

When people would ask me what we did, I usually describe it as being a glorified mechanic who occasionally gets called upon to put out a fire. My friends who are Trekkies (or the ones who take it too seriously and call themselves 'Trekkers') understood my job completely. I was a 'yellow shirt.'

It's a little more interesting, less esoteric, and far less money than what real engineers can expect from life.

That said, I think military engineers make for interesting characters. I could easily imagine a young man (or woman) from the Army Corps of Engineers being a central character in a Lit story. They have been saviors in communities savaged by hurricanes in the past few years.

I was a software engineer, title Senior Research Engineer. We used to get screwed in the paycheck, every second week. It was painful.

Back