The Scottish servant girl (closed)

"I still don't trust him." Maisie groused as Andrew grinned and acted as if everything would be alright. "And I don't think I ever will."

She had a stubborn streak just like the rest of the Campbell family and when it came to men betraying her family, it certainly came to the surface. It didn't matter if her aunt would soon become a McDougall...she didn't think that she could ever forgive him!
 
"I don't trust him either. Neither does she!" Andrew said, squeezing her hand.

He looked ahead, spotting the castle around the bend.

"He's a dangerous man, who would sell his country to our enemies if it gets what he wants. Having him in the family - sort of - is the best way to keep him on our side and away from trouble. Your aunt explained this to me before I set off to get you back! The world of politics is a dirty one! Maybe that's why we went through what we did: we needed to learn the hard way!" he continued and kissed her again.

"But through it all, I could not have hoped for a more suitable wife and future queen! You are strong and resilient, and formidably beautiful as well! A little naive, but that's your charming side!" he added with a grin, poking her playfully on her thigh.
 
"If this is the way that things shall always be, I don't know if I'm cut out for being a queen." Maisie admitted as Andrew told her that he couldn't think of anyone else to be there beside him. "I guess I still have a lot to learn about the world around me."

She kissed him one more time before she took his hand to hold it for the rest of the ride home. Her mind was a jumble of everything that had happened the past few days. It was almost too much to think about and process.
 
As they entered the castle on horseback, Andrew couldn't help noticing how all the MacDougall clansmen lined the courtyard waiting to get a glimpse of the royal couple. The mood was serious and even slightly pompous, to Andrew's amusement. This was not a band of people who wanted to kill them. This was a group of royal subjects receiving their prince and princess. It was almost sureal.

As they dismounted, aunt Catherine met them and embraced Maisie, handing her over swiftly to Lara and Edina who lead her to her chambers to eat and rest, followed closely by Andrew. To his surprise, old MacDougall was not part of the welcome party.

"Where is your... future husband?" Andrew asked, not able to stand not knowing.

"He thought it was too soon!" Catherine replied as she closed the door to their chamber.

"I'll say!" Andrew groaned.

"Sweet Maisie!" Catherine said as she took her in her arms. "You must be famished! Food is coming! And then Lara will draw a bath for you! Is there anything I can do for you?"
 
"You can explain to me what the hell is going on!" Maisie said as her aunt swiftly ushered her into a room and doted on her. "Why are you marrying him? He's a horrible man, Aunt Catherine. I thought that you loved Rory."
 
"Oh, sweet Maisie, it's all politics, my dear! We women can achieve things men can only dream of!" she said as she helped her out of her dirty clothes and offering her a clean white gown.

"It will all become clear by the end of today!" she said with a strange glimmer in her eyes. "And yes, I love Rory, but he's too young for me and he's your husband's guard. His place is at court, and my place is here!"

The door opened and food was brought in by Lara and Edina, who both embraced and kissed Maisie.

"It will all be alright! Nothing is what it seems!" Lara whispered in her ear. "You'll see!"

Aunt Catherine smiled at her as she was sat down and served by her two servant girls. She left the three young women alone and closed the door behind her.

"Are you alright, milady?" Edina asked her as she sat next to her.
 
"Of course I'm alright." Maisie murmured, looking at the two of them. "I'm incredibly confused with everything that has happened, but I'm fine. I wish someone would give me a straight answer in this place."

Maisie looked between the two of them, knowing that they would not give her what she was looking for. She would have to ask Andrew for the answers that she needed.
 
Edina smiled and gave her a kiss on her cheek before sitting behind her and brushing her hair. Lara also gave her a kiss on the cheek, and then couldn't resist also kissing her lips, blushing.

"Sorry, mistress, I couldn't resist. I missed that!" she smiled.

"Tell her!" Edina said to Lara.

"It's... complicated... It seems old MacDougall has a much smarter son called John. He made it to the castle just after lady Catherine opened the gates and let them in. Old MacDougall was about to bark orders and demands when his son asked to speak to him privately..." she explained.

"When they came out of the room, old MacDougall had his tail between his legs. I think John put him in his place! He seemed furious with his father! He was a gentlemen with all of us, and apparently asked for forgiveness from Andrew and pledged his loyalty!" Edina added.
 
Back
Top