Trouble contacting a member

BasicSaida

Virgin
I wrote a followup to a story by another member (edmead). I tried contacting him via the member info page, but even though signed in, it just said "this member does not accept messages from anonymous users" (something to that affect).

So, I went ahead and submitted the story, and got it sent back asking me to contact the author to get permission. Seems reasonable, but...

Is there something I need to do to not be considered anonymous when contacting someone? I was signed in. I tried signing in via message board and via the stories page. I made sure cookies were enabled. I made sure my email address was in my own contact info, in case that mattered.

No luck.

Any suggestions?

One more piece of information. I also tried PM'ing him, and get this: "edmead has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

If you want to contact an author through feedback on their member details and it says 'Does not accept messages from anonymous users' you HAVE to enter a valid email address. That way your message will get through.

If you still don't get a reply, sorry, by Lit's rules without the original author's consent you cannot post your story based on edmead's.

Added

I can't edit my posts in this forum.

What I forgot to say above is that my reply is from another author, not an official response from the site's administrators.

Thanks. As far as I can tell, I have associated a valid email address with my account, so it’s still a mystery to me why I can’t send him a message.

Thanks. As far as I can tell, I have associated a valid email address with my account, so it’s still a mystery to me why I can’t send him a message.

Not associated with your account. That isn't enough. There should be a box to manually enter your email address in when you send feedback if the author has anonymous feedback turned off.

Is there someplace you send messages other than the member page? The page that says I cannot send a message does not have anyplace to enter anything. It is completely without form-like stuff. I've attached a screen shot.

Attachments

• ContactProblem.JPG
    ContactProblem.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 0
Is there someplace you send messages other than the member page? The page that says I cannot send a message does not have anyplace to enter anything. It is completely without form-like stuff. I've attached a screen shot.

From that screen shot I think that the author has disabled ALL contact.

Thank you. That seemed possible, but I wasn't sure if it was that, or if I was just doing something wrong.

--thanks, basic

I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to write to Atomicrocka asking if she could continue one of her stories but it's telling me the author has disabled anonymous feedback, even though I'm logged in, and there's no form to enter a valid email address.
The error message should be more explanatory, such as the author has disabled all forms of feedback, or something similar

It's because he doesn't want to receive PMs or feedback at all. Doesn't matter what permissions or email addresses you are providing - the author wants no contact.

There's regular debate on AH about people writing "follow ups" using another writer's characters. The consensus is always "don't". Write your own characters, don't use someone else's, unless you have explicit permission.

I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to write to Atomicrocka asking if she could continue one of her stories but it's telling me the author has disabled anonymous feedback, even though I'm logged in, and there's no form to enter a valid email address.
The error message should be more explanatory, such as the author has disabled all forms of feedback, or something similar

It's because he doesn't want to receive PMs or feedback at all. Doesn't matter what permissions or email addresses you are providing - the author wants no contact.

There's regular debate on AH about people writing "follow ups" using another writer's characters. The consensus is always "don't". Write your own characters, don't use someone else's, unless you have explicit permission.

I notice several days ago the contact email in my profile isn't the one I provided. Not mine. Also, it shouldn't be public.

Back