The Scottish servant girl (closed)

Maisie blushed deeply at being caught in such a personal situation by Edina. Surely she had heard Andrew’s intimate confession. Oh, she prayed that serving girl wouldn’t tell Lady Stewart what she had seen or heard. It would compromise her position here in the Stewart household.

“What about William?” She asked in a quiet voice as Andrew held her tightly. “I get the impression that he might have feelings for me as well.”

It was strange to be desired by two men under the same roof. She had grown up with them, played with them until they became too old for her. She had laughed, cried, been mischievous with the two brothers and she didn’t know how she felt about being caught in the middle of a tug of war.

“You must prove yourself to me, Andrew.” Maisie said in all seriousness, turning her head to look up at him. “Please prove that you can be the man that I want and need. If you can do that, then I will consent to give you my hand.”
 
Andrew smiled at Maisie, looking at her and caressing her cheek.

"I will do whatever is required of me to make you mine, even if I have to go against the will of my parents! Being a younger son protects me in a way from a diplomatic marriage arrangements, even if it is not guarantee! But all that is nothing compared to winning your heart!" he said and kissed her forehead.

"As far as William goes... yes, he likes you too, maybe he even loves you. But he must marry this woman; he doesn't have a choice, and he's accepted that! I know it's cruel that I keep teasing him about it. I should stop doing that..." he said and looked into her eyes and smiling sweetly.

"Tell me, sweet Maisie, what can I do to win your heart? Tell me and I will do it!" he asked raising her head slowly with his finger under her chin, leaning down almost kissing her lips, but stopping short of touching them.
 
Maisie had never seen this side of Andrew before. He was caring, considerate, and so grown up. It made her mile as she thought about how much she liked this new person that she was watching emerge from him. He wanted to know what he could do to win her heart. He wanted to do it and she felt a sudden warmth pool between her thighs. Strange, she thought to herself as he tipped her chin until he was looking at him and she found herself a breath away from kissing him. Suddenly, that’s all that she wanted.

“Kiss me, Andrew. Please.” She said in a breathless sigh, her eyes fluttering close as she waited for her first proper kiss. It made her belly quiver with excitement and she wondered what more he could teach her.
 
Andrew thought he would faint when he heard Maisie's words. He could only smile and then press his lips softly onto hers, tasting their sweetness and softness. He pulled her closer, sliding one hand behind her just above her waist, pulling her closer until his chest pressed against her breasts, feeling her fluttering heartbeat.

"Your lips are sweeter than honey!" he said softly and continued to play between her upper and bottom lip, nipping them between his, tasting their sweetness with his tongue, moaning softly.

"I've dreamed for years of this moment!" he said and kissed her deeply, his hand slowly caressing her thigh.
 
Maisie thought she might melt from the feel of his lips against hers. He was actually gentle, his hands pulling her close until her chest rested against his. She moaned softly, wondering if he could feel her heart fluttering and her nipples growing hard. It was scandalous to think of such things, but it was the only thing on her mind.

As he broke the kiss, she was panting for breath, his lips and teeth continuing to play with hers. Her blue eyes turned towards his and she shivered, moaning against as he tasted her with his tongue. Then he deepened the kiss again and his hand caressed down the length of her thigh. Oh, she wished his hand would venture elsewhere but to save her modesty, she pushed his hand away and broke the kiss.

“Not yet.” She panted, her eyes staring deep into his.
 
Andrew smiled and wrapped the blanket over her holding her tight.

"I understand!" he said, looking in her eyes, still enjoying the lingering effects of their kiss.

"Isn't that a lovely sight!" a low, yet kind voice was heard from the darkness of the night, as Lord Angus Stewart appeared in the dim light of the lanterns, smiling at Andrew and Maisie, who both scrambled to stand in order to face him.

"Father! You're back!" Andrew said clearing his throat, surprised that his father wasn't angry with him.

"Aye… You're going to make the wee lassie catch a cold on a night like this!" Angus began and came closer to them, extending his strong hands and squeezing their shoulders affectionately. "Come, we have guests in the great hall!"

He smiled once more and then turned and disappeared into the night, leaving Andrew and Maisie speechless.

"He didn't yell at me!" Andrew muttered scratching his head. "Come, let's see who the guests are!" he said and took Maisie by the hand, leading her away from the stables and through the courtyard, their eyes drawn by unfamiliar horses and servants tending to them. "What's going on?" Andrew muttered to himself as he lead Maisie to the great hall.

"MacDougall!" Andrew groaned deeply, gritting his teeth as he recognized their family's rival standing face to face with his father. Andrew kept a tight grip of Maisie's hand as he moved behind the crowd of his father's and MacDougall's armed retainers, stopping just a few feet from his father, keeping Maisie out of sight.

His father seemed to be thinking how to respond to something MacDougall said to him before Andrew and Maisie made it in the hall.

"Where do you keep him?" Angus broke the silence.

"You think I'm stupid? Why would I tell you that? So you can storm the place with your soldiers?" MacDougall sneered.

"Your terms are unacceptable, and you know Calum Campbell would never agree to them!" Angus said with his usual low voice.

"I'm not asking Campbell, am I? I'm asking you, since you have the girl in your custody!" MacDougall replied.

"She's here as a guest under my protection, you fool, I do not own her! Besides, she is already spoken for! She was promised to another!" Angus held his ground.

"WHAT?" he growled. "You are a bloody liar! You just made that up!" MacDougall continued, moving his hand on the hilt of his sword, making all the retainers in the room reach for theirs.

"Look at her! Her betrothed is holding her hand!" Angus thundered pointing at Andrew and Maisie, his retainers moving aside to make them visible. "Get a grip, old man! She's too young for you anyway!"

MacDougall looked at Andrew and Maisie, his red shot eyes fixed on them, fuming with anger.

"Is that true?" he asked Maisie, glaring at her. "Is he your betrothed or not?"
 
Maisie gasped as she heard Lord Stewart’s deep voice echo in the darkness. She leapt to her feet, the blanket still gripped around her shoulders as she looked at him nervously. Her lips were still bruised from his son’s attentions and she felt herself blushing deeply under his gaze. She lowered her eyes to the ground, unable to look in the eye. She would let Andrew speak for the both of them.

He hadn’t yelled at them? She looked over at Andrew as he left and she felt slightly mortified at being caught. “Andrew…” She started, her words cut off as he took her by the hand and pulled her behind him into the great hall.

She hadn’t seen that many people in the great hall since it was announced that William would wed. These men didn’t look friendly and when Andrew muttered the name MacDougall, Maisie frowned deeply. The MacDougalls were not friendly with the Stewarts and she hoped that there would not be bloodshed.

She noticed how he pulled her along the outside of the room, hiding her from view as an argument began between Angus and the other man. They were talking about her. Why were they talking about her, she wondered as it suddenly became apparent that the older man was wanting to take her away.

She pressed against Andrew’s back, her fingers of her free hand gripping his shirt as her other hand curled around his tightly. Lord Stewart wouldn’t give her to those men, right? Why would they want her anyway? She was a nobody as far as her family went. She gasped as everyone suddenly moved aside, leaving her standing there holding Andrew’s hand. She glanced at him and then over at William as he stood next to his father. She was shaking, her heart pounding as the old man asked if she was betrothed to Andrew.

“I…I…” Maisie stammered, looking towards Andrew and her face flamed bright red. “Yes.” She answered in the softest voice possible, afraid that there would be bloodshed.
 
Andrew felt like melting as he heard Maisie's reply. He looked in her eyes and smiled warmly, pulling her closer to him.

"Is that really true, lass?" MacDougall asked, looking straight into her eyes, drawing closer to her.

Andrew drew his sword before anyone could even react and stopped MacDougall in his tracks, pointing his blade at his throat, startling him half to death. Everyone in the hall remained still, shocked by Andrew's speed and skill.

"You heard the answer, MacDougall, now back off!" Andrew said angrily.

"What is all this nonsense?" the voice of Lady Stewart resounded in the hall, all heads turning as she walked in the room. "Andrew, sheath that sword! And you! You are old enough to be her father! You should be ashamed of yourself for even seeking such a young bride!" she said looking MacDougall straight in the eyes.

"Milady," MacDougall said, clearing his throat, clearly intimidated by her unique royal presence, "is this... really true? Was she promised to your son?"

"Of course it is true. Why do you think she grew up under our roof? Or do you not know Calum Campbell suffered the same tragedy as yourself, and lost his wife giving birth to his only daughter? And what is this I hear about you holding Calum Campbell hostage? What madness is this?"

"Milady..." he tried to intervene.

"I'm not done! And how dare you walk in here with your armed mercenaries and asking for the girl's hand while threatening to kill her father? Has your own grief caused you to lose your mind? Do you want your clan to be wiped from the face of the earth? Do you really want to go against all the Stewarts and the Campbells? I am sure this is all a big misunderstanding! Is it not?" lady Stewart asked as she joined Angus by his side, her eyes fixed on MacDougall.

"Lady Stewart knows me too well!" MacDougall said with a compliant voice, bowing to her. "Campbell and I had a disagreement and he is my... guest at this time!..."

"You will release him, of course!" lady Campbell interrupted.

"Of course, milady, of course... I do not wish for a war between our clans. I only seek a wife..."

"Well I am sorry, milord, but that I cannot provide for you!" lady Stewart concluded.

"My men will escort you out!" Angus added to her conclusion, signaling the end of discussion.

MacDougall wanted to protest to being thrown out, but his intention was thwarted by lady Stewart's severe gaze. He bowed instead and smiled at her. He then looked at Maisie for a few seconds, with lust written all over his face.

"Angus, you were always a lucky man to have such a formidable wife! Fare well!" he said and turned, leaving the hall with all his retainers, escorted outside of the castle walls.

Lady Stewart ran to Maisie and embraced her.

"Are you alright, my dear?" she asked softly, holding her tightly.
 
Maisie sighed as she was pulled close to Andrew’s body, his warmth providing her a soothing sensation that seeped into her bones. Then MacDougall advanced and she gasped as a flash of silver appeared and Andrew threatened the older man. She cringed as he spoke in angry words, the man backing off when Lady Stewart joined the fray.

Maisie shook, shivering as everyone in the room suddenly began to argue over her. Why was she so important to all of these people? MacDougall wanted her hand in marriage? Angus declared that she was already promised to Andrew? She about fainted when she heard the old man declare that her father was his prisoner.

Prisoner? She’d written letters to her father and never once had he mentioned that he was in any danger. And where were her brothers? What was going on!?

The man backed down under Lady Stewart’s hard gaze and for that Maisie was grateful. She was also upset that everything was being decided without her consent. As the man left the hall with his retainers and Lady Stewart rushed to her and embraced her tightly, Maisie’s face was blazing red with embarrassment.

“I don’t understand.” She said softly as everyone stared, watching her closely. “I’m not betrothed to Andrew. Why would you tell MacDougall that? And why does he have my father? Where are my brothers?”
 
"Don't worry, Maisie, all your questions will be answered!" lady Stewart told her, looking into her eyes and smiling.

"I'm going after MacDougall!" Andrew said, gritting his teeth. "We need to know where he's keeping Maisie's father!"

"Yes, you're right, Andrew! Take a few men and follow them, but do not engage!" Angus agreed.

"I'm going too!" William said.

"Good! Remember, boys, do not engage him. When you find out where Calum is being kept come back and let me know. We can't just storm a castle and risk getting him killed! MacDougall is unpredictable!" Angus said, looking at his two boys with pride. "Now go before you lose them!"

"Whatever the truth about this betrothal is, Maisie, I will not take you as my wife unless you want me to!" Andrew said as he came face to face with Maisie. "I was serious about winning your heart!" he said and kissed her cheek before storming out of the hall along with William.

"Come, my dear!" lady Stewart said and lead Maisie into her boudoir, where she sat her down in front of the roaring fire.

"You did well to confirm the betrothal, Maisie! MacDougall was determined to take you as his wife, but he wasn't prepared for what was revealed today. My husband's revelation and your answer prevented bloodshed. You see... MacDougall asked for your hand from your father, but Calum refused and mocked him. Calum got careless and MacDougall surprised him while he was on a hunt by seizing him and making him his prisoner. Apparently he had been lusting after you for years, and your father's refusal drove him crazy... MacDougall is a dangerous man, Maisie! Your brothers are out looking for your father as we speak, but it seems MacDougall hid him well." she said and sighed deeply.

"And yes, it is true that your marriage to Andrew had been arranged years ago. But we did not want to tell you. Your father wanted you to be happy, and we made an arrangement for you to come and live with us, and become a part of our family from a young age. We all had hoped that you would grow fond of Andrew and he would grow to love you too. We all want our families to be united through a bond of love, not political arrangements. But it doesn't mean that you have no choice. If I taught you anything, you know that you always have choices! And Andrew is not a man who will just do as he's told if he doesn't want it as well!" she continued, looking into her eyes with affection.

"Maisie, may I ask you if you feel anything for my son?" she asked looking kindly at her. "Please do not feel that you have to answer my question!"
 
Last edited:
“I…care…for Andrew, yes.” She answered Lady Stewart, a deep sigh leaving her lips as she was explained the situation. “You were my mother’s closest friend. I know my father can be a difficult man, but why did no one tell me about this agreement?”

Maisie was upset, a little betrayed by all the people that she had come to know and love. She understood that no one was forcing her into any decision, but at the same time she didn’t think that she could betray the kindness of the Stewart family by simply throwing the agreement back in their faces.

“I’m fond of both your sons, my lady.” She admitted, her cheeks growing a deep rosy red. “William and Andrew are like my brothers. That’s what I see them as…brothers. Andrew though,” She sighed deeply, her clear eyes meeting Lady Stewart’s. “Andrew is a good man but I fear that he needs time to become a good husband. He’s so headstrong and stubborn, but I know he loves me.”

She thought back on the time that they had spent in the barn that evening. Did Andrew know about the arrangement? Were his words simply there to sweeten her towards him when the time came for the proposal to come to light?

“I simply don’t know what to do.” She said in a soft voice, her eyes filling with tears. She wished her mother were there. She had heard stories of the sweet lady that her mother had been and she so desperately wanted her advice on what to do. Her heart was screaming yes, marry Andrew Stewart and be happy, but her mind was telling her to stop and think.

It was Andrew! He threatened his brother with a real sword, pulled her braids when she was younger, pushed her into the pond when he was angry. He was loud, quick tempered, and reckless…but he was also stunningly handsome and kind. Could everything work out in the end?
 
Lady Stewart smiled kindly at her words, understanding her dilemma, as she had gone through an arranged marriage herself. Luckily for her, she had fallen in love with Angus before she even heard of their marriage arrangements.

"You have all the time in the world, my dear, nobody is going to force you into anything. And yes, Andrew is a bit rough around the edges, but he's growing into a really fine young man... And we couldn't tell you because we didn't think you or Andrew were ready for marriage. And we were hoping that he would ask your hand in marriage before you or he even heard of any arrangement. Och, this is the world we live in, dear, it's the price we pay for being of noble descent. Your father and we did our best to make sure you have the freedom we never had!" she said and pushed a few strands of her hair away from her beautiful face, smiling at her.

"Promise me you won't let our parental interference cloud your judgement or affect your feelings for my son. He knew nothing about this! Nobody did. Alright?" she asked looking for her gaze.

---

Andrew and William took four men with them and stormed out of the castle on horseback, without any torches, relying entirely on their knowledge of the hills surrounding the castle. They soon caught up with MacDougall's party, keeping a good distance to avoid being spotted. MacDougall's torches gave away their location quite easily, giving Andrew and William the advantage of stealth, being covered by the night.

"This is not fair!" William whispered riding next to Andrew. "She was yours all this time…"

"She's not mine yet!" Andrew frowned, focused on the task ahead.

"Yes, but she will be!"

"I don't want to marry her because our parents decided it. The very idea sickens me!" he said gritting his teeth.

"Hm… you seemed quite happy when she said yes!" William said, watching his every reaction.

"Yes, I was… I am… but she has to want it herself. And now with this hanging over us… I don't know… It's too strange…"

"Who goes there?" a voice was heard in the night as they stopped dead in their tracks, their path blocked by two armed men with their swords drawn.

"Who's asking?" Andrew asked, drawing his own sword, followed by William and their men.

"Richard Campbell is asking!" a voice was heard from behind. As they turned they saw the dark contour of Calum Campbell's eldest son followed from a short distance by twenty men.

"Richard! I'm Andrew Stewart! And this is my brother William! Are you also following MacDougall?"

"Yes! We've been following them for two days straight." he said riding closer to the two brothers and stopping near them. "What happened in the castle?"

"Come, we'll tell you on the way… We mustn't lose their tracks!" Andrew said, smiling at Maisie's brother as they resumed their pursuit. Andrew explained what had happened in the castle in detail, intrigued by the fact that Richard did not seemed all that surprised.
 
“I promise, my lady.” Maisie said as Lady Stewart asked that she not let their interference cloud her view of Andrew. “I will go into this relationship with an open mind.”

The two women talked into the night until Maisie retired to her bedroom. Her mind was swirling with everything that had happened that night. She was surprised that she’d already been promised to Andrew, but she was even more surprised that MacDougall wanted her for his wife. There had to be another reason why the man was ready to wage war on the Campbells to get to her.

She was undressing, slipping into her nightrail when she noise in the corner of the stone room caught her attention. She had barely turned her a strong arm wrapped around her arms and waist, pinning her against a warm chest. She tried to scream, but a rough hand cut her off.

Her eyes were wide in terror as a man’s voice that she recognized whispered against her ear. “Don’t struggle now, lass. I’d hate to harm that pretty face. You and I are going to go on a ride because MacDougall will pay a high price for a treasure such as you.”

Maisie almost fainted as Angus’s right hand man, Aiden McCloud forcefully made her walk out of the room and into the stone corridor that led towards the now empty stables. She shivered in the cool night air as they made their way outside. Once in the stables, he bound her hands behind her and gagged her with a torn strip of his tartan. She watched in terror as he saddled his horse and made ready to leave the manor house.
 
They followed MacDougall's party all through the night, leaving a bit more distance as the sun was coming up on the horizon, so they would not be spotted. Luckily, one of Andrew's men noticed a couple of scouts riding back from MacDougall's direction, presumably to check if they were being followed. Andrew alerted all of them and they hid off the track behind the trees. The scouts came almost feet away from them, and then returned.

"Do you think they saw us?" William whispered.

"I don't think so! If they had, they would not have sent scouts; they would have made us think they did not see us!" Richard suggested, as they continued their careful pursuit. "What exactly did you plan to do when you found where they kept my father?" Richard inquired.

"We were planning to send word back to our father, and wait for reinforcements!" Andrew responded.

"I see... And then you would have just stormed the castle?" he continued.

"No, obviously not... MacDougall is crazy enough to kill him. A silent attack during the night is more what I had in mind..." Andrew tried to explain.

Richard raised an eyebrow, but did not respond to Andrew's suggestion. "Not bad... the boy has potential..." he thought to himself as they continued the pursuit.
 
Maisie had been thrown over the back of the horse like a sack of cloth and Aiden McCloud mounted in front of her. She worked against the bonds that held her, the rough rope cutting into her delicate wrists. She whimpered and screamed against the gag, wishing that someone would hear her cries.

McCloud pulled the mount towards the entrance of the stables and looked around the courtyard for anyone about that might see him. He was committing treason against the Stewarts and he very well might die, but there was a high price on Maisie Campbell’s head and the old man MacDougall would be more than willing to pay it.

He held the girl tightly against the steed’s back as he spurred it off into the darkness. It was chilly that night and he could feel the girl shivering, but he put that out of his mind. He had to make it to MacDougall before Stewarts sons did.

McCloud cursed his luck as he drew up on the Stewart party and he was quick to draw into the thick forest next to them. He would have though that they had given up or had caught MacDougall by now. Peering through the gloom of the pre-dawn light, he could see that one of Campbell’s sons had joined them as well.

Maisie was dazed. She was bruised, sore, and her head ached fiercely from her position on the horse. She looked around, noticing that they were now in a forest. She could hear men nearby and her heart leapt. She lifted her head and screamed as loudly as she could against her gag, yelping as McCloud hit her against the back of the head to stop her cry.
 
As they moved in silence in pursuit of MacDougall's party, Andrew suddenly stopped.

"Did you hear that?" he asked, looking back.

"Hear what?" William asked, looking in the same direction as Andrew.

"I thought I heard a woman groaning!" he said, focusing his hearing in the direction where he heard something.

"I can't hear a damn thing!" William said impatiently. "You're imagining things! Come on, let's catch up with Richard!" he insisted.

"No, you go ahead, I'll catch up later. I need to check this out for myself. I will track you as soon as I'm ready!" he said and moved his horse in the direction, leaving William to rejoin Richard and his party.

Andrew retraced their steps, but didn't go directly in the direction of the voice. Instead he made a long detour around and landed behind Aiden and Maisie, barely containing his surprise at the sight. He came slowly behind them after leaving his horse tied up at a safe distance. He moved slowly a few feet away and then rushed the last few feet pushing Aiden to the ground, separating him from Maisie's position. Aiden fell flat on the ground with a loud groan.

"What is this madness? Have you lost your mind, Aiden?" Andrew asked as he drew his sword and removed Maisie's gag.
 
Maisie nearly fainted when Aiden was unseated from behind her. She kicked her bare legs frantically as warm, familiar fingers undid the gag between her dry lips. She looked at Andrew and sighed deeply, shivering in the cold night. The thin nightgown she wore did little to keep her warm.

Aiden was quick to his feet, unsheathing his own sword and challenging the young Stewart. “You are a fool, Andrew. She is worth so much to MacDougall. Enough money to set someone for life. You would keep her for a quick roll in bed instead of giving her up for money? We all know you, Stewart. You aren’t a one woman man.”

Maisie squirmed on the back of the steed, her belly rubbing against the saddle in such a way that she knew it was bruising her skin. She was bruised, sore, tired, and on the verge of tears as she heard Andrew defending her honor from the man that had kidnapped her from her home.
 
Andrew blocked Aiden's attack with much more force than Aiden anticipated given the difference in size between them, sending him crashing on the ground for a second time.

"You HAVE lost your mind!" Andrew said gritting his teeth as he helped Maisie off of the horse, cutting her ties with the blade of his sword.

"If I don't kill you now, my father surely will!" he continued and directed Maisie to move behind him and away from the clearance, before striking Aiden's sword with formidable force, sending him on the ground for a third time.

"What makes you think you can kill me, boy?" Aiden sneered as he got up and regained composure, annoyed that Andrew knocked him off his balance. He charged Andrew with a loud groan, aiming for his head.

Andrew bent backwards and deflected the charge with his sword, body tackling Aiden and sending him crashing into a near-by tree, making him groan in frustration.

"My father was wrong to pick you as his right-hand man! You can't even stay on your feet!" Andrew smirked at him, luring him into another foolish attack which he skillfully deflected as if he were dancing.

Taking full advantage of Aiden's exposed side after deflecting his attack, Andrew turned his body and swung his sword with full force. Aiden shrieked in pain as he fell on the ground bleeding profusely from his side. He tried getting up again, but fell on the ground, groaning, his hand trying to cover his gaping wound.

"You underestimated me, Aiden! It's not enough to be experienced, you need skill as well!" he said as he came closer, picking up Aiden's sword from the ground and handing it to Maisie.

He then turned to her: "What do you want me to do with him? I'm tempted to cut his head off right now, but it's up to you!"
 
Maisie was quick to scurry away from the fray, her wrists bruised and throbbing. She stood in the trees and watched Andrew fight Aiden. She winced each time their swords crashed together before they tackled one another. What if Andrew lost, she thought to herself, shivering at the idea. Then she would be sold to MacDougall.

She gasped as Andrew cut a great gaping hole in Aiden’s side, the blood staining his shirt as he lay on the ground. When Andrew pressed the enemy’s sword into her hands, she shivered for an entirely different reason. He was giving her the choice of the man’s life or death. Could she make that choice?

“Don’t kill him, Andrew.” She said in her soft voice, her entire body shaking from both her fright and the cold of the evening. “Don’t stain your hands with his blood.”

She was quick to press herself against his embrace, his body so warm. Her bare feet curled into the underbrush of the forest and she shivered again, her teeth clacking together. Oh, what she would have given to be home at that moment in front of a nice warm fire.
 
Andrew held her close, embracing her with one arm, holding his sword in the other, pointing it at Aiden.

"It's probably more merciful if I just cut his head off right now! If my father gets a hold of him he'll skin him alive. I can't even imagine what your brother Richard might do!" Andrew said as he removed his cloak, wrapping it around Maisie.

"Kill me, you bastard!" Aiden groaned as his wound bleeded badly. "Kill me and be off with your whore!"

Andrew's face changed in anger as he moved away from Maisie, raising his sword above his head, ready to strike a deadly blow. He stopped in the last second, Maisie's words echoing in his years. He stepped back and embraced Maisie again, just as he heard a voice from the thickness of the forest.

"What's the meaning of this?" Richard asked as he approached them with his sword drawn. "Isn't this your father's right hand?"

"A traitor!" Andrew sneered.

Richard looked behind him and signaled two of his men.

"You two! Tie him up and carry him back to the Stewart's castle. We have work to do! You should come with us!" he said to Maisie as he embraced her. "The Stewart home is no longer safe for you!"
 
“No, don’t shed more blood.” She insisted as he wrapped his warm cloak around her shoulders, holding her tightly as her shivering stopped. She winced as Aiden demanded to be killed and then called her a whore.

“Andrew, no!” Maisie shouted to him, her hand reaching out to stop him as he stepped away to strike the killing blow to the man that had meant to dishonor her and the Stewarts.

She sighed as he backed away, embracing her tightly and then the sound of a voice in the darkness made her jump. Her eyes fell on her oldest brother and she was quick to embrace him.

“Richard, what are you doing here?” She asked him as he instructed the men to tie up Aiden and take him back to the Stewart castle. She felt like the air in her lungs was suddenly ripped away as he said that she should come with him because the Stewart home was no longer safe. “I can’t do that, Richard. It’s the only home I’ve ever known.”

“And I’m betrothed to Andrew.” She said in a quiet voice, watching as her brother’s harsh gaze softened as he looked down at his only sister. “Please don’t take me away.”
 
Richard smiled at her and held her tight.

"After all you've been through you still want to be with the Stewarts? Hm..." he said softly as he held her.

The two men did their best to bound Aiden's wound and then tied his hands raising him up on a horse. At Richard's signal they headed back towards the Stewart home, leaving Maisie with Richard and Andrew.

"I saw you fighting, young Stewart! I'm very impressed!" Richard said looking at Andrew.

Andrew nodded in appreciation to Richard and cleaned his sword before sheathing it.

"I'm going to have very harsh words with the castle guard!" he sneered. "Heads will roll!" he continued as he assisted Maisie to mount Aiden's horse.

"We will worry about that later, Andrew! No house is free of potential treason!" he said reassuringly, and then turned to Maisie: "Do you want to come with us to find our father or do you wish to return to the castle with Andrew?"
 
“I wish to stay with them, Richard.” Maisie said as her brother held her tightly. “They’re my family just as you are.”

She hoped that he would let her return. She knew more of the Stewart way of life then she did life with the Campbells. She had been away so long, she thought to herself as she watched two men bound Aiden and then place him back upon a horse. They headed back towards the Stewart home at Richard’s command leaving them alone with only Andrew.

Andrew helped her back upon the horse. She was so weary, but she knew she had to be strong in order to get through the night. She looked at Richard as he turned to address her.

“Find out father and our brothers, Richard. Bring them to the Stewarts when you have.” She turned her gaze towards Andrew and blushed deeply. “I believe there shall be a wedding to witness very soon, dear brother.”
 
Richard looked at her and then at Andrew and smiled.

"Well... little Maisie's all grown up!" he chuckled and shook Andrew's hand. "It looks like you won her heart, little Stewart! I'm very impressed! She's not easily won over, you know?" he said and jumped on his horse.

"Now you go back home with your bride-to-be and I'll get the other matter sorted!" he continued and left Andrew and Maisie, riding back towards the party pursuing MacDougall.

When they were left all alone, Andrew looked up at Maisie as he slowly stroked the horse's neck. He smiled at her and kissed her hand.

"Wedding? Really?" he smiled and then giggled like a schoolboy, clearing his throat immediately and putting on a serious face.

He grabbed the rains of her horse and lead it to where he had abandoned his own horse. He was smiling widely all the way there, taking his time, stealing glances at her, enjoying the time he had alone with Maisie. When he reached his horse he turned to her and looked into her eyes.

"You know... we don't have to go home right this minute... we could take our time and... talk... Or, perhaps you'd like to get off that horse and kiss your future husband!" he said and smiled from ear to ear.
 
Maisie blushed at her brother’s words. Of course she’d grown up, she thought as she turned her gaze towards Andrew. She had grown up with a man that she’d been betrothed to for so long and never knew it. Did that fact make everything that she’d seen Andrew do during her time with the Stewarts any better?

She shivered as Andrew took her hand and kissed him, his smile making her smile in a shy way. He was like a child sometimes, she though, but it gave him a lovely boyish quality. She nodded at his words and struggled to find her voice.

“I think so, Andrew.” She said softly as he lead her horse to where his own had been left. “I doubt I could find any better a man than you.”

“I…um…I think I would like to kiss my future husband.” She said as she allowed him to help her from the back of the horse, his lips instantly upon hers.

She sighed as she kissed him, her eyes closing at the sensations that were coursing through her body. Her arms wrapped around his neck and she pulled herself closer to him, panting as the kiss broke and she was looking up into his handsome face.

“You’ll only be mine, right Andrew?” She asked him in an uncertain voice, wanting to know that she was making the right decision.
 
Back
Top