2014 Survivor Rules and Registrations

And...

Does that 3,000 word apply to the stories posted for the contest or all in the series? For instance if one chapter that is not counted was 2,899 does that disqualify the whole series or just that chapter? Not a big deal for the future, but it would not be worth it to go back and edit old stories that I don't intend on counting.

Please add me to the contest also. Thanks!

You will need to enable Private Messaging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that 3,000 word apply to the stories posted for the contest or all in the series? For instance if one chapter that is not counted was 2,899 does that disqualify the whole series or just that chapter? Not a big deal for the future, but it would not be worth it to go back and edit old stories that I don't intend on counting.

3000 word minimum per chapter only effects chapters of a story if the story had them. A story that has no chapters doesn't follow the same word count rules. If you had one chapter that was under the required word count it would disqualify the chapter that was under. The others would be fine as long as they had met the minimum.

Count me in! I'd love the chance to push myself just a little bit further than my comfort zone. Thanks :)

Hmmm thinking about giving this one a shot although I doubt I could be all that competitive.

I have 2 questions. One what exactly is immunity? Is that a free pass on a "squick" category?

Also would a 3 chapter series be considered the required three stories in a category?

Hmmm thinking about giving this one a shot although I doubt I could be all that competitive.

I have 2 questions. One what exactly is immunity? Is that a free pass on a "squick" category?

Also would a 3 chapter series be considered the required three stories in a category?

It's kind of a free pass and you can use it on a squick category or on one that is hard for you to write in, especially including Illustrated or Audible. The rules describe them. I would caution you to be careful bout using them too much because they are a double-edged sword. :eek:

Yes a three chaptered story would fill the three stories required to fill a cap in a category as long as each chapter was over 3000 words which i don't think would be a problem for you.

Yes an immunity is a free pass on a category that you may not want to write in but... you must have a cap filled for each immunity you have for it to count, so if you have won five immunities through out the year you must have filled in five caps completely to validate them and make them count.

Hope that helps

I'd be a little cautious about chaptered stories though. I did that one year and ended up losing a bunch of points because they don't DQ one story/chapter they'll get rid of the entire line.

I don't remember all the details but I think I lost something rediculous like fifteen points (so yes I'm a little butt hurt).

I'd be a little cautious about chaptered stories though. I did that one year and ended up losing a bunch of points because they don't DQ one story/chapter they'll get rid of the entire line.

I don't remember all the details but I think I lost something rediculous like fifteen points (so yes I'm a little butt hurt).

The chapter rule was changed last year though... so I am not sure what you are saying would still happen.

It's kind of a free pass and you can use it on a squick category or on one that is hard for you to write in, especially including Illustrated or Audible. The rules describe them. I would caution you to be careful bout using them too much because they are a double-edged sword.

The chapter rule was changed last year though... so I am not sure what you are saying would still happen.

Confused myself, I don't even know why one chapter in story that was below the minimum word count would knock any others that made the minimum.

Confused myself, I don't even know why one chapter in story that was below the minimum word count would knock any others that made the minimum.

Because it would make the "story" ineligible. It's either entirely Kosher or it isn't. At least that's what happened to me and I see no reason why that shouldn't be true across the board.

I don't see in the rules where an entire story is disqualified if one chapter is under 3k word count and it doesn't make sense to me why you lost 15 points in Survivor 2013 for it. That's what I'm saying. You shouldn't been docked those 15 points.

It was a different but similar rule that I got hit by. It's not written anywhere that if one story is below it DQs the series, but it's not said that it won't and I wouldn't recommend testing it is my only point.

Will the January immunity thread go up today? Or will this weeks lotto numbers not count or be able to be claimed in retrospect?

Just wondering?

I don't think the contest is official yet ELLIE hon. While people have entered in their manner, I have yet to receive any word or a scorecard. Nor is it mentioned on the home page (Lord, please take down the 2013 announcement)

BrettJ in Canada

Will the January immunity thread go up today? Or will this weeks lotto numbers not count or be able to be claimed in retrospect?

Just wondering?

I have just posted the January thread, but the numbers for today will not be usable for anybody. You need to select new numbers for this year. You can have the same number if you want it, but you will have to ask again.

The Survivor Contest has been a very fun event for many years.

From the input we've received from authors and readers, we've decided that the contest has run its course. The 2014 contest will be the last one sponsored by the site.

We appreciate all of the participation, and wish all the authors Good Luck in this final year! :rose:

It has been fun, and I have been involved as a competitor or mod or both since 2003. I appreciate having had the opportunity to do both. :)

Thank you Laurel for sponsoring the contest. Bummer that this is the last year. I won't know what to do with myself next year.

Perhaps if more writers participate this year, you may change your mind and continue to sponsor the contest next year. Whether you do sponsor the contest or not next year, I've had fun playing. Thank you for giving me a site to post my stories.

My special thanks to all the hard work of the moderators behind the scene.

May the new year bring you peace, health, and happiness. God bless you and your family.

Just a thought Laurel...

If Literotica doesn't sponsor the contest next year, is there a chance that someone else could sponsor the contest, say an advertiser? That would be great if we could still continue the contest with an outside advertiser paying for all the costs associated with the contest. What do you think Laurel?

Being that I'm not privy to the inside dynamics of Literotica, I was just wondering and thought I'd throw that out there as a possibility. Sort of like what they do with major league baseball, national football, and the Olympics. Athletes compete while another organization runs the whole thing. Ergo writers compete while an outside organization sponsors the contest. We, as the creative group of erotic writers, never know who is behind the curtain, actually in the same way that we don't know who is behind the curtain now.

What do you think? We could have a National Survivor contest or a World Survivor contest, not that this isn't that now but with different sponsors and advertisers. Wow! The Survivor contest could be bigger. It could take on a life of it's own. We could have a Hollywood premier in the way of the Oscars for movies but for writers of erotica. Wow!

Literotica and the writers who participate in the contest would reap the benefits of national and world coverage. Paparazzi would follow, hound, and endlessly photograph the winners.

"I could be famous! I could be a star! I could be rich!"

Sorry, for getting ahead of myself.

If the writers want to continue to play and post their scorecards here after 2014, that's fine - but not for prizes, even from outside advertising or sponsorship.

Sorry for the interruption. I promise that this is my last post on the subject but...

The Survivor contest hasn't all been one-sided. Literotica reaped the benefits of having a multitude of writers writing in categories that few writers would write stories. Certainly, this contest has been a win/win for Literotica as well as for those writers who have competed in the contest.

It would a shame if some of these categories that few writers are inspired to write a story in, have even fewer stories written in them because, without the Survivor contest, there's no reason to write stories in Letters & Transcripts, Reviews & Essays, and Non-Erotic. I dare say that they'll even be more stories written in incest.

Every time I post an incestuous story, I not only receive tens of thousands of views and hundreds if not thousands of votes, I receive hundreds of e-mails for the first two days that the stories post. If it wasn't for the Survivor contest, as do many other writers on the site, being that I receive so much more attention when writing incestuous stories, I may only write incestuous stories. I beg you, Laurel, to save me from that dreaded fate. Please, you must reconsider ending the contest.

Alas, truth be told, the Survivor contest has saved me from being an incest writer. The Survivor contest has allowed me to write in categories that I'd never post a story. The Survivor contest has made me a better writer. The Survivor contest has made me a better person. The Survivor contest is the reason why I get excited when I open my eyes in the morning to write, write, write.

Being that my eyes have been opened to a world that includes all things sexual, indeed, the Survivor contest has made me a better and more sensitive human being, especially to the wants, desires, and special sexual peccadillos of others. Now to remove that outlet by no longer sponsoring a Survivor contest is akin to taking away a car and having everyone walk. How dare you do that to us? I can go to more places and see more things when driving my car, just as I can go more places and see more things when writing my Survivor contest stories.

You leave me no choice other than to start a petition of writers who want the Survivor contest to continue. I dare say that within a few days, I'll have thousands of signatures.

"Is everyone with me? Hey! Where'd everyone go? Suddenly, it's so quiet here. Hello? Gees, there's an echo. Hello, hello, hello."

If the writers want to continue to play and post their scorecards here after 2014, that's fine - but not for prizes, even from outside advertising or sponsorship.

Just wondering...

If not for prize money, how about, instead, giving the winners Literotica tee shirts, hats, key chains, and coffee mugs? I can see my name embroidered on a silk Literotica jacket now. What do you think?

I know. It's a great idea, isn't it? Every time I go to Wal-Mart fans will know that I write for Literotica! How about that? I'd feel so special wearing my Literotica gear to work, bowling night, and to church.

Instead of Literotica paying for prize money, we could charge an entrance fee to compete in the contest and use those monies as the prize money. What do you think about that idea Laurel? I'm just trying to think outside of the box here.

Surely, there are some well-to-do fans who appreciate the influx of stories that appears each year because of the Survivor contest and maybe one of them will want to underwrite the costs associated with the contest.

Okay, I gotta go. I have to get busy writing...incest stories for 2015.

Wow, glad I decided to compete this year I would have hated to have gone looking for it (I usually take a year off in between) and found it wasn't around. Oh well, I'm sure Laurel and Manu have something awesome and better than the Survivor Contest planned for 2015. A lot of the reasons that once existed for the Survivor Contest are long since gone anyway as someone who's been here for years I remember when reading every story released on the site was possible, difficult but possible. I remember when reading every story released in any given week was possible. Today it's nearly impossible to read every story released in a given day and stories aren't even gauranteed to start out on the front page. As survivor pushes Quantity over Quality well Lit hasn't had a quantity problem in years.

Wow, glad I decided to compete this year I would have hated to have gone looking for it (I usually take a year off in between) and found it wasn't around. Oh well, I'm sure Laurel and Manu have something awesome and better than the Survivor Contest planned for 2015. A lot of the reasons that once existed for the Survivor Contest are long since gone anyway as someone who's been here for years I remember when reading every story released on the site was possible, difficult but possible. I remember when reading every story released in any given week was possible. Today it's nearly impossible to read every story released in a given day and stories aren't even gauranteed to start out on the front page. As survivor pushes Quantity over Quality well Lit hasn't had a quantity problem in years.

I beg your pardon? Quantity over quality? I have no idea what you mean by that remark and why you'd even write that.

I take exception to your remark Sean. I've read that remark on the forum boards too often before from those Literotica regulars who never competed in the Survivor contest but who are quick to bash the contest and those who participate in the contest. It's not an easy contest to play never mind win, no matter what kind of stories the writer writes.

Perhaps you meant the remark for yourself. Perhaps you write quantity over quality but I don't. Every story that I post is the best story that I can write, whether competing in a contest or not.

Just as it's too bad that more writers haven't competed in the Survivor contest, it's unfortunate that they'll won't be a contest in 2015. Perhaps there will be something better put in place than the Survivor contest that will inspire writers to write more stories, I don't know.

Just as it's too bad that more readers don't vote and/or make comments, it's unfortunate that those readers who always vote and who always comment on stories are the bashers.

Being that you're a regular participant in the Survivor contest, I never figured you'd be bashing this contest too.

The Survivor Contest has been a very fun event for many years.

From the input we've received from authors and readers, we've decided that the contest has run its course. The 2014 contest will be the last one sponsored by the site.

We appreciate all of the participation, and wish all the authors Good Luck in this final year! :rose:

Thanks for allowing it to stay for one last year Laurel, we appreciate it and all the hard work you do. I am glad I decided to participate again this year. :D

Back