The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must see it. Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi all at their best.

Personally, I think Jeff Bridges was at his best in True Grit, Goodman at his best in Barton Fink (which also included Buscemi), and Buscemi is currently at his best in Boardwalk Empire. That said, The Big Lebowski is one of those films I figure I'll eventually get around to seeing and appreciate it for what it is. Sort of like Dogma. I didn't want to see it when it first came out, but I loved it when I saw it years later.

Last edited:
Never seen it . . . .

:rolleyes:

What?!!!

You have not lived! Man, you must go out this minute and buy that movie (cuz you will be watching it repeatedly from here on in). That seriously is top most hilarious man movie ever. EVAH!

Hey, John, thanks for the coffee!
:cathappy:

What?!!!

You have not lived! Man, you must go out this minute and buy that movie (cuz you will be watching it repeatedly from here on in). That seriously is top most hilarious man movie ever. EVAH!

Hey, John, thanks for the coffee!
:cathappy:

You're welcome. ;)

One of life's best motto's is in that movie. "Fuck it Dude, let's go bowling."

"I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners."

:cool:

:D:D:D

"Take 'er easy. I know you will."

We should all write Take 'er easy up on our walls, LOL.

Hehe, Been hopping on YouTube to catch a few clips of it. My favorite scene was John Goodman losing it during the bowling tournament. "Mark it ZERO!!!!" http://www.fritzperlberg.com/video/lebowski.jpg

:D

Oh God, Jesus bowling has got to be the best. His socks! Yuck, yuck. When he licks the bowling ball! Eurghh, yuck yuck.

And the scene at the end ... John Goodman at his most emotionally inept and touching yet awful.

C'mon, we'll spoil it for Willie. You MUST watch it, Willie. "Take 'er easy." is just because the Dude is most unashamedly lazy bum in the world, that's not spoiling it cuz the first scene is him going through the supermarket for milk in his dressing gown! Oh dear, when he writes the cheque ....

Oh God, Jesus bowling has got to be the best. His socks! Yuck, yuck. When he licks the bowling ball! Eurghh, yuck yuck.

And the scene at the end ... John Goodman at his most emotionally inept and touching yet awful.

C'mon, we'll spoil it for Willie. You MUST watch it, Willie. "Take 'er easy." is just because the Dude is most unashamedly lazy bum in the world, that's not spoiling it cuz the first scene is him going through the supermarket for milk in his dressing gown! Oh dear, when he writes the cheque ....

Alright, I'll be good. ....er, just one more... "Nobody fucks with the Jesus." :D

But Naoko is right, Willie. You do have to see that move, go out and RedBox it.

Alright, I'll be good. ....er, just one more... "Nobody fucks with the Jesus." :D

But Naoko is right, Willie. You do have to see that move, go out and RedBox it.

Maybe. I fell like I've seen it already. :p

Maybe. I fell like I've seen it already. :p

That's like a tiny sliver of some good bits. The whole thing is just hilarious. The John Goodman character is totally brilliant. They all act so well - except Jeff Bridges who said he was just playing himself, LOL.

Cohen Brothers are brilliant. I love O Brother Where Art Thou too.

That's like a tiny sliver of some good bits. The whole thing is just hilarious. The John Goodman character is totally brilliant. They all act so well - except Jeff Bridges who said he was just playing himself, LOL.

Cohen Brothers are brilliant. I love O Brother Where Art Thou too.

No Country for Old Men was super dark, but awesome. Loved Javier Bardem's character. Burn After Reading was not as funny as I though it would be. True Grit was a fun western.

Last edited:
No Country for Old Men was super dark, but awesome. Loved Javier Bardem's Character. Burn After Reading was not as funny as I though it would be. True Grit was a fun western.

Now, having read McCarthy's original, I absolutely loved the film version of No Country For Old Men. It was very faithful to the novel, including the frustratingly unresolved plot threads. It was true to what would happen in real life. Pure genius. The opening monologue, spoken by Tommy Lee Jones, set the tone perfectly, and his acting was probably the best he's ever done.

Burn After Reading was another "it could really happen" tale, complete with senseless violence, morbid humor, and human selfishness. The entire film was like an hour and a half dark joke leading up to a punch line in which Francis McDormand got what she wanted.

What I liked about the remake of True Grit was that it built upon the iconic stereotypes of the original, but added character. Apologies to all the die hard John Wayne fans out there, but he was rarely more than a cardboard cutout in his films. Jeff Bridges' Rooster Cogburn was a much more human character.

Now, having read McCarthy's original, I absolutely loved the film version of No Country For Old Men. It was very faithful to the novel, including the frustratingly unresolved plot threads. It was true to what would happen in real life. Pure genius. The opening monologue, spoken by Tommy Lee Jones, set the tone perfectly, and his acting was probably the best he's ever done.

Burn After Reading was another "it could really happen" tale, complete with senseless violence, morbid humor, and human selfishness. The entire film was like an hour and a half dark joke leading up to a punch line in which Francis McDormand got what she wanted.

What I liked about the remake of True Grit was that it built upon the iconic stereotypes of the original, but added character. Apologies to all the die hard John Wayne fans out there, but he was rarely more than a cardboard cutout in his films. Jeff Bridges' Rooster Cogburn was a much more human character.

Agreed on True Grit. It seemed more than just a spaghetti western. But almost a real glimpse into the raw and dangerous place the west was at that time.

Agreed on True Grit. It seemed more than just a spaghetti western. But almost a real glimpse into the raw and dangerous place the west was at that time.

I'm a big fan of Sergio Leone (around whom the term 'spaghetti western' was coined, since he was Italian), who did a lot of Eastwood's early stuff. The Man With No Name trilogy (A Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly) was so much more than any of the forties and fifties westerns that came before it. They were actually pretty damn accurate in both the depiction of Old West life, the effects of the Civil War, and the use of technology at the time. A lot of people tend to overlook that when they watch the old films, and lump them in with the stereotypes of John Wayne's films. They really are an apples to oranges comparison.

Ethan Coen's collection of short stories, Gates of Eden, is well worth a read...

About 15 years ago, some colleagues and I were playing "<insert company name>: The Movie", where we were casting who would play each of us in a film version of our crazy bookselling lives. I got John Goodman. I made a big thing about how upset I was, as I wasn't as... big... as he was (I'm still not. But I'm getting there... :rolleyes:), but secretly I was pretty chuffed...

I had a picture of Walter as my Facebook profile pic for a long time recently off the back of that smiling memory...

For VM whenever he shows up:

attachment.php

Attachments

• facebook_-1710275811.jpg
    facebook_-1710275811.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 19
Damned good, those pics.

Wow! hot stuff indeed!

The photos are quite nice too. ;)

LOL, Steve, I KNEW you'd be a big The Big Lebowski fan! That truly is a great movie, eh?
Blond thug holding up bowling ball: "What the F is this?"
The Dude: "Obviously you're not a golfer."

OMG, Willie, you have GOT to watch it.

TX - I really want to see The Hobbit as when I went to see it in the cinema, halfway through someone small who had begged to be taken along, got scared and had to be taken out, so I've still only seen half of it. The Bear says he reads The Hobbit in different regional accents, a rendition I'm still eagerly hoping to hear one day.
:rose:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back