Paper thin? The first guy who wears that suit has my admiration!

4est_4est_Gump

Run Forrest! RUN!
Joined
Sep 19, 2011
Posts
89,007
Bulletproofing for soldiers and law enforcement officers has lightened up considerably in recent years, but it promises to get insanely thin with new nanotechnology coming out of MIT and Rice University.

A team of mechanical engineering and materials scientists from Rice University and MIT created special materials that were able to stop bullets in the lab. The group, which included Rice research scientist Jae-Hwang Lee and School of Engineering dean Ned Thomas, recently published their findings in Nature Communications (abstract).

The type of material, called a structured polymer composite, can actually self-assemble into alternating glassy and rubbery layers. When performing ballistic tests on the material at MIT's Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies, those 20-nanometer-thick layers were able to stop a 9-millimeter bullet and seal the entryway behind it, according to a Rice University article.


Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/11...flying-bullets/?intcmp=features#ixzz2CNxVgY72


So Howard, all your friends are doctors...

I'm still a Scientist! I have a toilet in space!!!
 
That is what I think about the first men who went into space. Yes, let's see if we have it right by blasting ourselves through the atmosphere. :eek:
 
Self healing bullet proof clothes? Nice. I can visit Detroit when that stuff goes on the market.

Also if they are getting nano tech to do that how long until they can make lighter weight space suit?
 
If I am going into space, I want the big, thick heavy suit for the psychological reason alone...

:eek:

Same with my kevlar even if it makes me look fat! The Ghillie suit hides everything.
 
I'd like to have a nice Brooks Brothers suit one day.


Perhaps charcoal and pinstripes.


I doubt I ever change sizes again.
 
I have wing-tips from my days of bankers and lawyers...

I gave my suits to the Salvation Army to help some poor fellows get a break.

:cool:

The socks had many household uses...
 
I only need one. Weddings, funerals, and the odd speaking engagement.


Light-weight wool is good for nine months a year here, and a blue blazer and khakis is acceptable summer wear.


As long as I don't dribble tobacco spittle down the front . . . .
 
Man, I hate to say it, but the last two funerals I attended...


I was the ONLY one outside the coffin in a suit.


I cannot even remember the last time we got a wedding invite, I just do not think it is all that common any more.

Everyone I know has either been married for a really long time or putting it off like in Idiocracy...
 
Junior is marrying next June. I went to another one last June. I guess I get to see June brides recently.


My grandfather is still looking over my shoulder when I dress for these events. I wear what he wore.


Men need all the help they can get in the dressing department. Women can look good in potato sacks.


Some better than others, mind you.
 
And too many have lost tough with iron, in any form or fashion.


I'm beginning to sound like him, too, sometimes.


I think I saw the old boy a few months back, looking it me from the mirror.


His Mopar was a '31 DeSoto . . . roadster.
 
Just angry old men in the balcony...



I think I will get up and work before my free labor is taxed. ;) ;) Later...
 
And too many have lost tough with iron, in any form or fashion.


I'm beginning to sound like him, too, sometimes.


I think I saw the old boy a few months back, looking it me from the mirror.


His Mopar was a '31 DeSoto . . . roadster.

Sooner or later we all see our ancestors in the mirror.

Then we begin channeling them and hear their words spring from our lips.
 
Back
Top