What are you reading at the moment?

Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forum > Authors Hangout > What are you reading at the moment?

Love and Kisses

Lisa Ann

Reading the Bible. A little known NIV for recovering alcoholics.
There's no such thing as The Bible. Many biblical texts are available, often suppressed, or contradictory, or sloppy and biased translations. For almost literal, try the Jehovah's Witness NWT version.

The current physical book near me is a partial reproduction of a 1900 Sears-Roebuck catalog, the Amazon of its day. Figure in the ~30x inflation rate and prices don't look too outlandish. Get a nice cornet for six bucks then and a banjo for under three. But don't anything plug-in electric.

Last edited:
Finishing up Jeffery Archer's As the Crow Flies

Just finished Willa Cather's Alexander's Bridge.

Starting this evening book three of the massive Graham Greene biography by Norman Sherry.

41PR6G0SDNL._SX315_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

There's no such thing as The Bible. Many biblical texts are available, often suppressed, or contradictory, or sloppy and biased translations. For almost literal, try the Jehovah's Witness NWT version...

Professor Bart D Ehrman at UNC Chapel Hill has written two books in a story tellers format for anyone interested in this topic.

The Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths we never knew ISBN 0195141830

Misquoting Jesus: The story behind who changed the Bible and Why ISBN 0060859512

Love and Kisses

Lisa Ann

Professor Bart D Ehrman at UNC Chapel Hill has written two books in a story tellers format for anyone interested in this topic.

The Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths we never knew ISBN 0195141830

Misquoting Jesus: The story behind who changed the Bible and Why ISBN 0060859512

Love and Kisses

Lisa Ann

I’ve got a few. One on lost christianities, another on the Gnostic gospels and a few more. The bible is fascinating and it’s equally fascinating to read what didn’t make it in. And then there’s the Old Testament as history. What I found truly fascinating is how Jahweh has been pinpointed now as a Sumerian city god specific to one city, so as christians we are merely continuing to worship an old Sumerian city deity. And then there’s all the other religious symbolism that made it’s way into Christianity. I particularly like the ritual cannibalism.

Love and Kisses

Lisa Ann

Might add that, although Ehrman started off as a fundamentalist Christian, he's now an atheist, which makes for pretty straightforward, not starry-eyed, discussion. If you like watching more than reading, he has a slew of DVDs available from the Great Courses service.

Kepler

I am reading a swedish book, Lazarus by Kepler. Is ok, but not the best read ever. Too many supernatural elements in the story for my taste.

PRINT

Michel Houellebecq - The Possibility of an Island

AUDIO

Paolo Bacigalupi - The Water Knife

Jeff Goodell - The Water Will Come: Rising Seas, Sinking Cities, and the Remaking of the Civilized World

G. J. Meyer - The Tudors: The Complete Story of England's Most Notorious Dynasty

I just finished re-re-reading Niven & Pournelle's LUCIFER'S HAMMER about a doomsday comet strike. Still a good read but now I see the inconsistencies and incongruities, and stuff tossed in for blockbuster appeal. Most characters seem at least somewhat rational, or at least rationalizing.

Now I'm re-re-reading Hiaasen's NATIVE TONGUE where all involved are insane and/or moronic -- consistently incongruous. What scares me about Hiaasen is the suspicion that very little is fiction, that the ex-reporter is merely embellishing (or toning down) actual Florida events. Ay yi yi.

I re-re-read a lot now. Easier on my tired synapses.

"...Kubrick's next suggestion, following hot upon the last, was that I should write him a Second World War spy movie set in France and based on the rivalry between MI6 and SOE. I said I'd think about it, thought about it, didn't like it and declined. Okay, so how about adapting an erotic novelle by the Austrian writer Arthur Schnitzler? ..."

-John le Carré (well known nom de plume of David Cornwell)
The Pigeon Tunnel: Stories From My Life
New York, N.Y. 2016.

In this semi-autobiographical assemblage of essays (38 of them) le Carré reveals sources and inspirations for many of his characters and best-selling novels. Do you want to know who the real Jerry Westerby was? Interested in Alec Guinness' portrayal of George Smiley in the BBC version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy ? What's Cornwell's assessment of Yasser Arafat ? Want dirt on Richard Burton's role as Alec Leamas and Elizabeth Taylor's behavior during the 1965 filming of The Spy Who Came In From The Cold ? Does the name Dr. Hans Josef Maria Globke mean anything to you? Kim Philby?

"...All was not fulmination. During the first decade of his marriage, GW [George Washington] devoted much of his energy to simply having a good time, and, in the grand Virginia planter tradition, living large. As usual, the foxes suffered, with Washington hunting them as many as forty-nine days a year. He also attended balls and horse races, and he gambled regularly. But mostly he and Martha were prodigious hosts, estimated to have entertained around two thousand guests during the seven years preceding the Revolution. That was obviously expensive, but not nearly inline with the estimated equivalent of $2 million to $3 million they blew through during just the first half of the 1760s. Like so many Americans who would follow, George and Martha were addicted to stuff..."

-Robert L. O'Connell
Revolutionary: George Washington At War
New York, N.Y. 2019.

Every time I read a biography of Washington, I learn something new. O'Connell's book was fascinating because of its extensive examination of Washington's early life and the formative influences on his character. Washington was no shrinking violet; he developed a burning ambition at the hands of his domineering mother and older half-brother whose early death made him the unanticipated heir to Mount Vernon. Washington was fearless, lucky, physically huge and athletic. His British colonial masters recognized his talents but the existent British Army culture would never allow colonials to advance beyond a certain level. Washington's frustration inevitably led to an implacable animosity toward the British. The rest— as they say— is history.

I wholeheartedly recommend O'Connell's book to anyone with an interest in the subject. Dr. O'Connell has a background in military intelligence and history.

Murder on Brittany Shores by Jean-Luc Bannalec, and

The Long Way Home by Louise Penny

Damn. All you people are reading such cool books.

I'm reading "Artificial Intelligence for Dummies" and "Fundamentals of Deep Learning".

James

I just finished "Camelot 30k", a hard sci-fi novel by Robert Forward, who is a goddamn genius.

Back