Catholic Leaders Threaten Obama With 100% Chance of Civil Disobedience

100% chance?

Doesn't work.

It can only be either a 99% chance at most, or 100% certainty.

You're welcome.
 
Yay, a group that has sheltered pedophiles for generations is standing up for its principles!


Yay!
 
It forces Catholic healthcare providers to pay for contraception.

LOL no it doesn't. Not even a little bit.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion; or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

There's nothing in the Catholic faith about providing insurance for employees. If they find that insurance is something incompatible with their religion then they simply shouldn't buy it.
 
"Almost all health insurers will be forced to include those 'services' in the health policies they write. And almost all individuals will be forced to buy that coverage as a part of their policies," said Alexander Sample, Bishop of Marquette, Mich., in one of the letters read to local Catholics. The rule doesn't apply to houses of worship, but does apply to church-affiliated hospitals, colleges, and social service agencies.

Kathleen Sebelius, President Obama's secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS), has said the move "strikes the appropriate balance between respecting religious freedom and increasing access to important preventive services."

She made that statement while announcing the "interim final rule" on Jan. 20. She said the rule, while allowing some exceptions and giving church-linked institutions a year from Aug. 1 to comply, is designed to ensure that women have access to birth control without co-pays or a deductible.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...-law-force-Catholics-to-support-birth-control
 
Let the Catholic church fuck off back to the sixteenth century where they belong.
 
What it means LadyV is that the founders did not want an American Charles Beckett whispering policy into the ear of the President and the government of the United States. It does not mean that all religion be banned from public places or discourse. If it did, the painting on the Capitol rotunda wouldn't exist, the Ten Commandments wouldn't be carved in stone opposite the justices of the Supreme Court, the Congress wouldn't be opened with a prayer everyday, and our money wouldn't say "in God we trust."

Vette, the OP was about healthcare and the Catholic's Church against the ACA. Personally, I'm for complete separation of church and state and I'm a Christian.

There is a huge and clear distinction between separation of Church and State and separation of Religion and Politics. One is essential. One is impossible.
 
It will be interesting to see what the government does when the mandate forces the muslims to provide something that is against what they stand for.
 
If the election affirms the Obama administration’s HHS mandate, there is a 100 percent chance that there will be civil disobedience in the Catholic Church, led by its bishops. Whether jail will follow is anyone’s guess...

Obviously, the first step is to challenge it in the courts on First Amendment grounds.

However, failing this, I hope they follow through with peaceful refusal to implement the provisions that violate their religious beliefs. I think that even liberal post-modern Americans will recoil when peaceful dissenters and clergy are thrown in prison simply for following reasonable tenants of their beliefs. It may wake Americans up.
 
Obviously, the first step is to challenge it in the courts on First Amendment grounds.

However, failing this, I hope they follow through with peaceful refusal to implement the provisions that violate their religious beliefs. I think that even liberal post-modern Americans will recoil when peaceful dissenters and clergy are thrown in prison simply for following reasonable tenants of their beliefs. It may wake Americans up.

Why put them in jail? I'm sure financial fines will work better.

Again, what does this have to do with religion?
 
Vette, the OP was about healthcare and the Catholic's Church against the ACA. Personally, I'm for complete separation of church and state and I'm a Christian.

Here, here.

In addition, I think the Church had it coming to them anyway for getting into bed with the government. NO religious institution-- Hindu, Jew, Christian, whatever-- should be taking money from the government, ever. The minute you do that is the minute you decide to abide by their expectations. The bishops also originally supported the health mandate, and they're now going to go through a lot of the same issues the Protestant churches went through with the Bush handouts to faith-based organizations.

I say every religion should be able to be as it is and not be taxed, as they are religious institutions and not businesses. But they need to keep a far distance from the government.
 
Back
Top