Almost Staggering

NOIRTRASH

Literotica Guru
I'm still reading the Lawrence Block how to write book, and came across an insight that knocks me over. I read Freud back in the 60s. I know his stuff well. But Block lays out the core problem all of us have with others: WHEN WE LOOK AT OTHERS WHO WE SEE IS OURSELVES, AND IF THE OTHER GUY ISNT CONGRUENT WITH US WE HATE HIM. IF HE MIRRORS US WE LOVE HIM. Freud never said it so well.

In a way, all our social interactions are psychotic.

I'm still reading the Lawrence Block how to write book, and came across an insight that knocks me over. I read Freud back in the 60s. I know his stuff well. But Block lays out the core problem all of us have with others: WHEN WE LOOK AT OTHERS WHO WE SEE IS OURSELVES, AND IF THE OTHER GUY ISNT CONGRUENT WITH US WE HATE HIM. IF HE MIRRORS US WE LOVE HIM. Freud never said it so well.

Birds of a feather flock together

Some, I think, much more than others.

There's something to this, though. I'd say that an exact mirror - someone too much like us - is annoying because we see an accurate image of the flaws we have and don't acknowledge. More differences make that easier to ignore that, and we get more comfortable. But if someone is too radically different, it makes some people question themselves and their life choices in a fundamental way, and that can lead to a kind of rabid dog hatred, directed outward. I've seen people driven to delusion and rage because they can't handle facing their own weaknesses or inadequacies for another moment.

For me, lies are the touchstone. Once you see someone lying reflexively, you're seeing evidence they're coping very badly with something internal they can't handle anymore.

How very true isn't that! Add to that that we see others through glasses coloured by our own experiences and understanding of the world and you have not only a pretty accurate picture but also a very scary one. :D

Almost is a weak word, you're staggering or you're not.

Sorry, that was drilled into me when I first began writing "stop using almost"

Its 'almost' never properly used:D

Flood waters could almost be up to the level of your trailer floor--like for JBJ this morning in Tampa.

Last edited:
Flood waters could almost be up to the level of your trailer floor--like for JBJ this morning in Tampa.

Sure and things like "I almost hit that tree" but I see a lot of he almost shouted...you shout or you don't.

Well, if he was thinking of shouting, tensed up to shout, and it looked like he was ready to shout, but he didn't shout, then he almost shouted. It's all relative.

Almost is a weak word, you're staggering or you're not.

Sorry, that was drilled into me when I first began writing "stop using almost"

Its 'almost' never properly used:D

Guess that makes "nearly" just as weak. I don't us "almost" nearly as much anymore. " then again, we can stretch the word out to it's full meaning of "for the most part" but that would be almost right, correct? 👠👠👠Kant🙀

It's all relative. In some contexts it would be weak. In some contexts it would just be precise wording.

Well, if he was thinking of shouting, tensed up to shout, and it looked like he was ready to shout, but he didn't shout, then he almost shouted. It's all relative.

If done from the pov of the person who thought about shouting that makes perfect sense

If done from another pov not as much

"You don't have me on ignore." Pilot almost shouted at JBJ

Shouting on the net is denoted by caps or huge fonts so we know the people who shout here.

Most everyone translates that the way you said it.... I tent to go a bit further and translate it into ignorance as well. I mean isn't that what exclamation points (!) used for? Help! I still read that as shouting, right?

LC is at the pinnacle of his grasp, and what lies beyond his ken is evil. He and PILOT and TEX and LADY VER suffer the same malady. They run outta chain.

The drunk staggered out the bar, dropped his car keys, tripped over the curb trying to pick them up; Almost fell flat on his face. I Almost busted out laughing, covering my mouth; trying to contain myself. Yeah, almost is a weak word, but giving it additional context makes it visually a more effective word, but still I don't use it nearly as much as I used to... Haha👠👠👠Kant💋

The drunk staggered out the bar, dropped his car keys, tripped over the curb trying to pick them up; Almost fell flat on his face. I Almost busted out laughing, covering my mouth; trying to contain myself. Yeah, almost is a weak word, but giving it additional context makes it visually a more effective word, but still I don't use it nearly as much as I used to... Haha👠👠👠Kant💋

iggy for you funny girl

I swear I think TEX and PILOT fuck each other then shit these people out in the woods

The drunk staggered out the bar, dropped his car keys, tripped over the curb trying to pick them up; Almost fell flat on his face. I Almost...
...managed to stay dry."

See? Not so weak a word after all.

Back