Blurhead's pencil art

Many thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

I use either Faber Castell "Polychromos" or Sanford "Prismacolor" coloured pencils
on thick Bristol drawing paper.
With regards to how long did it take to learn, I began drawing seriously way back in the early eighties, although I have had a number of long breaks during that time till the present day, due to work and family commitments (the usual thing - life getting on the way of hobbies !).
Although once you have built up the skill set after the initial years of practice and experimentation, the skills are not easily lost if you don't draw for while.
You do need to spend a lot of time however and have a lot of patience in the first place in order to reach a certain level of skill.
It's very important not to get too discouraged when things don't work out the first time.
Personally I always had an affinity for using pencils (even to write with) and so I was already comfortable with using pencils before I started using colour pencils to produce artwork.

Holy fuckberries, these are traditional? What kind of scanner are you using? Blows mine out of the water.

Your work is excellent. I've done a little pencil drawing but nothing erotic and nothing nearly this good. I'd love to try.

A few questions:

What size are the originals? What size drawing paper do you use?

You described the type of pencils you use -- do they come in a set of colors? Or do you get them individually?

Do you use photographs as models or templates? With my limited drawing I have difficulty getting proportions right. I've tried using a grid over the original photo and then doing the drawing over a light grid of the same proportions, and so far that kind of works.

Keep up the good work. These show a lot of skill!

Hi Simon - apologies for the delayed response - for some reason this website disappeared from my internet radar - but I am back now.

With regards to paper sizes that I use - I always used to use A3 size (29.7 x 42.0cm, 11.69 x 16.53 inches) purchased in pads I have also used the smaller A4 size if it is a portrait only. (half the size of the A3). Type of paper was always thick artists "Cartridge" paper, or Bristol smooth. these are usually 100lbs or 270 g/ms thick.
Going forward I will almost exclusively now use larger sheets of Bristol Smooth 300 series (made by Strathmore) I have a few pads of this in 48.3 x 61 cm (19 x 24 inches) as like the bigger size for full figure drawings.
With regards to the pencils - I usually always get these individually, as I have preferences for certain colors I may initially buy a complete set but then replace the individual pencils when they run down. I have a full set of the Prismacolors , but have only ever bought the Faber Castell Polychromos as individuals.
I do use photographs as reference material (I think that virtually all artists do to some degree). I like to make my own originals from various sources though going forward. It is essential to use some form of a grid to ensure that the necessary points of reference are accurate however, using this to make up a sketch that can then be copied onto the final paper surface for the actual drawing to be made.
At the end of the day, it takes a lot of experimentation with different materials whether pencils or papers in order to truly find out what works best for the artist and also bearing in mind the subject matter. I have finally decided that a combination of Faber Castell Polychroms and Prismacolors pencils work best for me, on Strathmore Bristol Smooth 300 series paper. I have also recently discovered that graphite pencils are great on this paper as well so I might be using them more often in the future.

Holy fuckberries, these are traditional? What kind of scanner are you using? Blows mine out of the water.
Many thanks - I always had problems with scanners not picking up all the details properly or "washing out" some of the subtle shading.
I went on to use a DSLR on a tripod with "bounced" flash taking a photo of the drawing instead of scanning. this is also better when trying to capture a larger drawing (most of mine are larger than a scanner), any necessary minor color adjustments can then be made in Photoshop.

Blurheads art

Hi Everyone watching,

It's been a while, and I have been trying out digital art, mostly working over a scanned drawing to produce a digital art result.
Here's the first from me this year "Devil Girl in Lingerie".
Hope you like her - comments welcomed.

qU1IHSr.jpg

Last edited:
devil_girl_in_lingerie_by_blurhead_dcza76s-fullview.jpg

Hi Everyone watching,

It's been a while, and I have been trying out digital art, mostly working over a scanned drawing to produce a digital art result.
Here's the first from me this year "Devil Girl in Lingerie".
Hope you like her - comments welcomed.

Very Nice!

Spectacular. The hair and fabric work is amazing and the smooth shading is just delicious.

Hi to all of the excellent people watching the visual artists corner.
Hope we are all having a great year......
Just thought I would pop in and upload a couple of artworks that I missed uploading previously.......

F8VeKzT.jpg

aOQnHIW.jpg

UR0c2fo.jpg

Many thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

I use either Faber Castell "Polychromos" or Sanford "Prismacolor" coloured pencils
on thick Bristol drawing paper.
With regards to how long did it take to learn, I began drawing seriously way back in the early eighties, although I have had a number of long breaks during that time till the present day, due to work and family commitments (the usual thing - life getting on the way of hobbies !).
Although once you have built up the skill set after the initial years of practice and experimentation, the skills are not easily lost if you don't draw for while.
You do need to spend a lot of time however and have a lot of patience in the first place in order to reach a certain level of skill.
It's very important not to get too discouraged when things don't work out the first time.
Personally I always had an affinity for using pencils (even to write with) and so I was already comfortable with using pencils before I started using colour pencils to produce artwork.

I use Polychromos and recently splurged on Caran D Ache Luminance. Prismacolor white is the only white for me. I'm waiting for the fine motor skills in my right arm to normalize, so I've been fooling around with Autodesk CAD. Not having the same intricate control over my hand was really frustrating at first, but I have begun to enjoy loosening up. I think it was THROBBS who said something about being able to see the artist's hand in the work. I'm enjoying seeing my style more and letting loose. It's been an adventure.
Tight and loose, love them both. Abstract exptressionism to Olivia's pinups.
You're very skilled. Nice work.

I use Polychromos and recently splurged on Caran D Ache Luminance. Prismacolor white is the only white for me. I'm waiting for the fine motor skills in my right arm to normalize, so I've been fooling around with Autodesk CAD. Not having the same intricate control over my hand was really frustrating at first, but I have begun to enjoy loosening up. I think it was THROBBS who said something about being able to see the artist's hand in the work. I'm enjoying seeing my style more and letting loose. It's been an adventure.
Tight and loose, love them both. Abstract expressionism to Olivia's pinups.
You're very skilled. Nice work.

Many thanks for the kind words, and I hope all goes well in getting your fine motor skills working again.
I also enjoy a lot of differing art styles especially surrealism and pop (as movements go) although can't say I am a fan of ALL works under the pop art banner !
I have been experimenting with digitally re-working my drawings over the last couple of years or so, it's quite exiting when you realize the possibilities of the medium.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the kind words, and I hope all goes well in getting your fine motor skills working again.
I also enjoy a lot of differing art styles especially surrealism and pop (as movements go) although can't say I am a fan of ALL works under the pop art banner !
I have been experimenting with digitally re-working my drawings over the last couple of years or so, it's quite exiting when you realize the possibilities of the medium.

Can't wait to see what you have come up with.

I love your work! I see a lot of shades of Joseph Michael Linsner in your art, are you familiar with his work perchance?

I love your work! I see a lot of shades of Joseph Michael Linsner in your art, are you familiar with his work perchance?
Many thanks - Indeed I am very familiar with his work, and I beleive he also uses color pencils (in conjunction with markers).
I love his work too, have a few of his Dawn books and a few other bits and pieces (calendars etc).

Back