I need to get over this writing shyness

  • Thread starter BeautifulBlueSky218
  • Start date
B

BeautifulBlueSky218

Guest
I want to write an erotica story, only I'm so shy to create one due to the judge of others. I know people will judge, especially since I'm an average writer. I'm a good writer, but I know I'm not the best.

I want to improve on my writing and I want to get over this shyness I have about writing an erotica story. I'm so shy because I often get stories inside my head that I think about and want to write about them. There not fantasies I have that I'd like to do in real life, but I like to create taboo and fantasy stories that everyone seems to fantasy about. I won't ever stick to one type of genre either, I like writing about all types of fetishes and fantasies.

I may need someone to edit my story perhaps and to get over this shyness I have about sharing my stories for everyone to see. I'm very shy underneath, I think this is why I have a hard time expressing myself sometimes. It's something I need to move past from and just stop being so scared and worried all the time of what people will think of me.

Just please be helpful and supportive as much as you can. If you'd like to suggest anything to me, I'd like to hear it. Maybe there's a section on this forum that will help me write and get out of my shell a bit, so I can get my writing out there in small steps. Or if you think I should just create the story to get over the fear, maybe I should do that. This is just something that's stopping me from doing what I'd like to do. This shyness and fear. Ugh... it's frustrating me... :eek:
 
It sounds like you need a "Beta Reader" - someone to read your story and give you constructive feedback before you publish it for wider distribution. If you write your story and then put a post here or on the Editor's Forum asking for a beta reader, you'll likely find someone willing to give you private feedback. Just tell us what the story is about and how long it is, and some friendly fellow writer with time on their hands will probably offer to give it a look.

If you are concerned about nasty comments and feedback when you publish, you can turn off the comments and voting in the Author control screen. If you do that, it becomes more difficult for readers to let you know what they think, and the only one who will go to the trouble will probably be good comments or at least helpful criticism.

Best of luck overcoming your inhibitions.
 
What you are experiencing is not uncommon. Even experienced writers, I think, get the jitters about how their stories will be received. It's not easy tossing your beloved creation into the Literotica pool and seeing if it will sink or swim. I've published 22 stories, and they've done fine, and I still get a bit nervous about it.

Start by just writing the story. Don't think about publication. Just write. When it's done, you might want to do what Loqui advises -- get a Beta reader. Put out feelers in this forum or in the editor forum or find an author you like and contact them directly and see how that goes.

You can't really go wrong by following the most basic advice for a writer: just write. Don't overthink it.
 
I know I'm over simplifying, but you need to just jump write into the water and do it. As for being concerned what people think, its natural, Writing for others is kind of baring your soul and it can be an exhilarating high when someone loves it and crushing when someone trashes you.

You will get both here.

What you need to be able to do moving forward is be able to not take anything stupid and hateful seriously. Its not personal, its coming from people who simply live to be assholes because the site let's the do it anonymously.

So my suggestion is just get it down and post it and see what happens. There is a feedback forum here so when its up you can start a thread and most of the people who reply are decent about giving constructive tips.
 
Yep, write something, find somebody to look at it, get it published. Repeat. It's how we all started here, and some of us just keep on doing it. Over time, you'll get braver, and better. Sounds like you just need to start your first piece, :).

Also, you have Blue in your chosen name, so that's a step in the write direction...
 
Though it was many years ago, I suffered from severe anxiety and panic attacks. After various methods of treatment, the only thing that really worked was getting fed up and deciding at a certain point that not living my life like that was up to me. I adopted an attitude of defiance, forcing myself to confront life head-on, no matter what might happen. It wasn't easy, the result wasn't always what I hoped for, and things didn't change overnight, but I got through it, turned everything around, and never looked back. -- So I would say just do it. You might be judged, but we all get negative comments. They're not always bad and they'll help you grow as a writer. The rest you'll just learn to ignore. Don't forget that you'll also get very positive responses and meet some wonderful people. There's nothing wrong with incremental steps either. Just write because you want to write something. When you're ready give it to a beta reader. I'll bet you'll be ready to publish it before you know it. Just keep moving forward and focus on the positive. Things have a way of working out. Good luck!
 
To the OP: you’ll find, over time, you are your own worst critic - not those that read and judge your stories. 🌹Kant👠👠👠
 
To the OP. That was me when I started here. Nervous scared and shy. Putting your first story in front of readers is a scary experience - so pick a category to write in where the readers are forgiving and easy to please. A beta reader helps. But really, just do it. It gets easier the more often you do it. I was a nervous wreck after I posted my first story and I had no idea the Authors Hangout existed so I didn't have anyone to talk to or ask ... so you're way better off than I was.
 
As a few have said, along with Nike. Just do it. Write because it's in you soul and needs to be set free. Those charicters are just itching to tell their stories.

Beta readers and editors are all wonderful, as is this forum.

I forget who said it but a well known author said of his first draft "I'm shovelling sand so I can build castles"

In short pound that keyboard, like your protagonists wil pound each other lol

Good luck
Stacey x
 
As has been eloquently stated: just do it. Get selfish and self-centered -- write your story for yourself, not others. Write what you want to write. Do not, when you write, imagine the world sitting on your shoulder second guessing every sentence. That is a recipe for frustration and never completing anything. The only person you have to please is yourself.
 
A lot of good stuff has already been offered up here. But I would say that as you have enough imagination to write, then try to imagine you are NOT shy. Imagine that, and then pick up your pen/keyboard/whatever works, and start to write your story. It's worked for me. So far. And - stay behind your chosen pen name.
 
Just remember that this is exactly the right place to do what you want to do. It's an incredible opportunity for anyone to put their erotic fantasy into words and put it out there. Your readers won't know who you really are; you have that layer of insulation.

I've found for myself that there are far more helpers here than there are those who just like to tear writers down. The downers can safely be ignored--especially when they're anonymous, then you can literally turn them off!

If you want to improve your writing, nothing will feel better than to get something written and get an editor here to look at it. They won't tell you it's terrible, but they will point out technical mistakes you can fix, and maybe give advice about characters or how to structure your story for best effect. You will have so much more confidence then, you'll be ready to revise and submit!
 
Ahoy fellow insecure person. IRL I apologise six hundred million times more than necessary, even when I'm the one who has been wronged, smile reflexively and avoid making eye contact or talking to people unless absolutely necessary. There are Literotica authors who I LOVE but I don't ever comment on their stories because I'm too intimidated. I'd laugh but it's probably not funny!


When I submitted Chapter 2 of the first story I ever published here, Chapter 1 had a rating of.... 2.3 This isn't just bad, it's spectacularly bad. Terrible. It's not even like it was a Loving Wives story - it was in 'Novels and Novellas'. If that doesn't make you feel better about yourself, I don't know what will. I can't even tell you what possessed me to submit Chapter 2. Honestly, I have no fucking idea.


My skin has grown considerably thicker over the year or so I've been here. I still stop and pause at times. Is it really a good idea for a character to express divisive political opinions? Or to write about white-Aboriginal Australian race relations? But in for a penny, in for a pound. And the more you write, oddly you both give more of a shit and less of one as to how you'll be perceived.
 
I have over 300 posted stories on Literotica.

Some of my first ones were not good. I had written them for specific fetishes on Yahoo Adult Groups before posting here as well. I have left them posted to remind myself how awful a writer I can be.

I can still write stories that turn out to be stinkers but after all this time what matters is getting the story posted and out of my pending pile. Once posted I can forget it and move on to the next which might be better, or maybe worse.

Entering a themed contest is a good way to start. You are likely to get more votes, more comments, and a better feel for how your writing is perceived than posting a random story. Some of the attention may be unwelcome, some cruel, but anything is better than no response at all.

Go for it.
 
I cannot offer better advice than that already given. Instead, permit me merely to say welcome. Welcome to the most twisted - and yet the most sane - support site on the web. As you may have gathered by now, for every situation, every fear, every weakness, there are lots of people here who've already been down that road.

Hi, my name's Tarnished Penny and I am a writer...
 
I'm shy too with little confidence in my writing. I understand completely.

There are support sites out there for writers. Scribophile is pretty good if you put in the effort. They have all-levels of writers from beginners to seasoned, published authors and groups by different writing interests. If you are willing to help out others and follow their codes of conduct, it could be a help to you. Just saying'.
 
Most people are OG and PILOT and SIMPLE SIMON, too silly to take seriously.


Consider this: Shakespeare and Francis Bacon lived about the same time yet neither ever made mention of the other.
 
Last edited:
To the OP. That was me when I started here. Nervous scared and shy. .

Nervous and shy. Nervous and shy with a black belt. Nervous and shy with... is it an AR-10?

Madam, the world permits many thoughts of you, but 'nervous and shy' is hard to wrap one's head around.
 
My tactic... Which happened by accident, but worked for me to solve your current problem was to just write. Write everything you can think of, but with no intention ever of ever showing it to anyone, ever... :p

After about two months the awkwardness and shyness wore off as I was able to flesh out my ideas and stories, without the worry that someone was going to critisize them.
 
My tactic... Which happened by accident, but worked for me to solve your current problem was to just write. Write everything you can think of, but with no intention ever of ever showing it to anyone, ever... :p

After about two months the awkwardness and shyness wore off as I was able to flesh out my ideas and stories, without the worry that someone was going to critisize them.

Good idea!
 
I can relate to you when you say you want to write about different genres. I get story ideas that I "play around with" in my mind. Some people stories I write and some are just little fantasies that are not complete enough to become stories. Do not worry about being shy, I openly admit that my stories are immature and best, but I write them because they are fun.

My 2 cents is, if you want to write , then write. If you do not want to publish the stories, then maybe you can find someone online to share/edit / get feed back from the stories on. Most of my stories are written late at night when I cannot sleep and I decide to get some crazy/fetish inspired story into a story.

Best of luck to you. If you want to share story ideas, get input or are looking for a 2nd pair of eyes, please e-mail me

[Email Removed. Please do not post email addresses to the open forum. If you wish to exchange email addresses, please do so through private messages. I have removed your email address several times now. The next time will result in a Final Warning. - AH Mod]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Shyness

Hi: Understand what you're going through. When I first began to write articles had those exact feelings. Or course erotic stories are quite different. Just sticking my toe in that water now as I'm working on my first story.
I would recommend a book, actually two, first is "Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway," and the second is "On Writing Well." (That last one might not have the "on" word in its title.) Both are good books for beginning writers. You should know writing is a growth craft, the more you do the more you can do. So jump in, look for the creative comments and ignore the rest. Now get busy and let us see a great, graphic sex story that will curl one's toes and hair. Not to mention making the reader either want to take care of themselves or jump their partner's bones. Good luck.
 
Learn not to give a shit and fucking write. I got bombs on here and I don't give a fuck, I have rude ass stupid comments and not only do I not give a fuck about them, I don't have enougg fucks to delete them. I just keep writing.
 
Dive in as slowly as you wish. Just write because you want to and don't feel pressed to publish it. And when you do (let's be honest--you will), know that it won't be perfect. And that's fine. My first set of stories have a lot of flaws that I'd be ashamed of today. But the best way to improve is to keep doing it.

And a beta-reader/editor is a great way to improve and find the mistakes that you're blind to. Maybe shop around a bit to find someone that fits with your needs. I find it helps to go through the approved categories editors are OK with (and not) to see if their interest overlaps with yours. I know kinks doesn't formally fall under the scope of editing, but if you ask for input I'd say most that volunteer on Lit are happy to give advice if you ask for it.

Take your time. No rush.
 
Agreeing with what everyone has said so far, the only way to write is to... write. Don't worry about what others might think of your writing. Write because it fills a need for you. Write because the characters in your head drive you nuts unless you can get them out. Write because you want to.

It might be worth it to have another established author here do a peer review. If you mention your preferred categories and kinks while writing, it would be easier to find one.

In any case, writing has a far bigger upside than keeping that story inside you. For the most part, readers and commenters on the site tend to be kind to stories which are well written.
 
Back
Top