CHYOO Busted! Every Chyoo thread contains only "sdffs" and its continuing problems

I am unsure what you mean by 'starting point'. The SOL Forum's post that I linked is for those who are interested in another interactive story website that is actually similar to CHYOO, instead of just being in the same genre.

For me, I'd rather use other publishing methods for what I write, while wanting to get CHYOO fixed/upgraded or find someone else interested in creating something similar.
Once again, I suggest looking at Fiction Branches and The Unending BE Addventure. Neither are quite what we want, but they could be used as starting points.
I looked them up and I feel they fail to be as user friendly as CHYOO was before it's current break.

Both websites' framework are without any effort to wrap what is shown to a single screen. CHYOO's 'buttons' and choice system is superior in wrapping the frame to a single screen. As a user I find the writer's actual content being the only element that is allowed to force the user to 'scroll' down, the only acceptable reason.

I think that extranet surfers tend to skip 'scrolling'. Whatever their reasoning is irrelevant, to websites being more successful the less they force a user to 'scroll'.

I understand that there is plenty of 'scrolling' in literotica however, I believe an author has less control over how their content is 'displayed' on literotica. In CHYOO, you can limit yourself to say ~500 words and what is displayed should wrap to a single screen easily enough.

The framework of [main.story.map] is the only element of a CHYOO story that leads to scrolling. I believe if a user is using a story's map then they are far from a new CHYOO user and thus have invested enough interest to be willing to scroll to get to what they want.

From what I saw, neither website has a cover.story.map. I got the impression a while ago that some writers dislike this option in CHYOO because it allows users to skip content. I think forcing a user to read what they want to skip, is something to avoid. As user I feel it should be a basic element to any interactive story website.
 
From what I saw, neither website has a cover.story.map. I got the impression a while ago that some writers dislike this option in CHYOO because it allows users to skip content. I think forcing a user to read what they want to skip, is something to avoid. As user I feel it should be a basic element to any interactive story website.

I think the idea though is that they're not supposed to skip the story, and they're meant to use the story map to more easily find where they left off or where they want to rewind to. They're only cheating themselves.
 
Writing.com's story-tree insists upon a lot of scrolling which I loath. The other reasons others listed just compound my distaste for their website's framework.

The only other reading website I enjoy is StoriesOnline.net. Their community of peers use a rudimentary google forum. {https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/storiesonline/aecBb6s5y2U} I welcome those interested in sharing their own thoughts on them developing an interactive fiction chapter.

The site itself is free to writers and readers. I believe paying a 'subscription' gives the user a larger search results and advanced filter options for searches, only. Those to things being very nice conveniences, half of which CHYOO fails to have anyhow. I think their Non-profit oriented like literotica as well though so the money goes to maintenance and what little staff they may have.

Having others supporting the idea of them joining this genre and developing it further would be awesome. You could add what you would like most too, as well as other suggestion topics; As you convenience them that there already are readers/writers interested.

Sincerely,

I have a paid subscription on StoriesOnline.net and I can vouch for it being a top site.
 
This is too bad, was looking to getting back to writing a bit... and why no updates? Is anybody looking into fixing it? If nothing is being done, then at least announce it dead?

Oh well, the fact that the frontpage has been alluding to an update being in works (from May 14, 2006) kind of signaled that this could happen I guess!
 
So question: Is anyone actually interested* in doing a new site?

Or all we all just shooting the shit and nothing will happen unless the current one comes back online.

* 'Interested' in the sense of "yeah, I'll do that", not "sure I would love for that to happen".
 
and why no updates? Is anybody looking into fixing it? If nothing is being done, then at least announce it dead?

Laurel and Manu claim to looking into it, but they're not the least bit interested in keeping us up to date on when this could happen. I'm still hoping to get another response, but I won't be surprised to find none.

Perhaps someone else should PM them for more information. One of you might have better luck than me at this point.

So question: Is anyone actually interested* in doing a new site?

Or all we all just shooting the shit and nothing will happen unless the current one comes back online.

* 'Interested' in the sense of "yeah, I'll do that", not "sure I would love for that to happen".

I don't think it's a matter of wanting someone else to do it, it's a lack of knowledge. I wouldn't be surprised to learn many of us don't know even the most basic skills of programming. If we did, I highly doubt we would have been forced to suffer through such a poorly programmed site for so long.
 
I believe it is best to avoid telling a reader what they 'want' is 'wrong'. There is a reason the first rule of business is "the customer is always right".
I think the idea though is that they're not supposed to skip the story, and they're meant to use the story map to more easily find where they left off or where they want to rewind to. They're only cheating themselves.
Their FORUM is a single general Google discussion board. I imagine they do this to limit overhead cost; But maybe there is another good reason too, that I have not thought of. They're actual website has its own domain and server. This being they case, they can just as easily move their forum to some other provider if Google decides to be ridiculous. How does them using Google to provide a secondary non-critical service diminish their quality?
But he just said it used Google.
Please define 'doing'.?. The primary difficulty for me is not having the discretionary money available to 'pay' someone to do it. Moreover, my skillset is without experience in CSS coding of an extranet interactive story website.

I am all for going beyond "shooting the shit" to support a interactive story website similar to CHYOO; However, I have yet to find one. It would be awesome if I had more than just 'patience' to give but... *shrugs*

Those of similar mind may want to write a post replying to the thread I created there. And, or repeating this idea with some other group someone else knows about. The idea being to convince someone that 'has' the resources necessary already, to create a more advanced and evolved version of CHYOO.
So question: Is anyone actually interested* in doing a new site?
 
Last edited:
So this is a continuing problem I see, I've just come back to post a new thread and got the same problem as everyone else.

It looks like it's been going on for nearly 2 weeks now? That's disappointing, chyoo is my first choice of lit erotica and the one I have been contributing to the longest.

In fact it's almost the ONLY one I've been contributing too. Fortunately I keep all my stories backed up for the most part and a completely breakdown isn't a complete loss for me though it is still a blow...

I hope it's fixed soon but worst case scenario, in a few weeks I might I pick up my stories and move to another site...
 
Those of similar mind may want to write a post replying to the thread I created there. And, or repeating this idea with some other group someone else knows about. The idea being to convince someone that 'has' the resources necessary already, to create a more advanced and evolved version of CHYOO.

I agree. Adding support for this idea would be helpful. It's really all I can do. Unfortunately, the extent of my programming knowledge is very rudimentary HTML.
 
Do they allow erotica?

To see if they already had stories, I did a quick search for "incest" and got nothing. I think incest has to be one of the basic fetishes imho.

I did a search for "sex" or "mind control". The stories/games they showed seemed to be without erotica.
http://textadventures.co.uk/quest

I found the above website. I am still in the middle of tinkering.

[edit]
I just sent them an email asking of erotica is welcome in their community.

If they do allow erotica then their search system needs some serious overhaul. As it is very difficult to see if a story/game has any erotica in it let alone 'types' of fetishes with the story/game.

I have yet to see how a story's author can allow multiple other unknown writers/readers to contribute content to the story. If anyone has followed what I write, they may have noticed I have difficulty with consistency with my activity in general let alone in a single story. Thus being able to write and help others with their stories is important to me, versus having a story all to myself. I have enough trouble finishing a linear story.

Of course, they can easily solve both of my problems with new "features". If they positively respond to my query, then I probably will write a post or two in their forums suggesting a couple 'features' they may want to add. Thus I suppose there is potential for them being a 'starting' point.

However, I suspect they do not want erotica; Because of their 'education' and 'school' links.
 
Last edited:
They do allow erotica, but it's only open to those with an account (and age set above 18). All of those stories are filed under a very simple 'adult' category, though. I am unsure whether stories have an option to allow multiple authors. I certainly think that would be a very helpful feature to suggest.

example: http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/etvk2bkj7kgj3supyc12aw/enterprising

What is textadventures like? Do they have a lot of incest themed adventures?
 
Statistically speaking there has got to be at least one person on this forum who knows enough web programming to make a new version of CHYOO. I can do the HTML and CSS to get something that looks like CHYOO, but I don't know how to do the needed ********** and database (prob MySQL) to get something like CHYOO working, and I don't have the free time to learn by doing.
 
Statistically speaking there has got to be at least one person on this forum who knows enough web programming to make a new version of CHYOO. I can do the HTML and CSS to get something that looks like CHYOO, but I don't know how to do the needed ********** and database (prob MySQL) to get something like CHYOO working, and I don't have the free time to learn by doing.

Apparently J A V A S C R I P T is a bad word.
 
Hi there,

then I'm probably, statistically speaking, the one person. I have read CHYOO and Literotica stories for quite a few years and really enjoy their quality.
My original plan was to set up a new site and then announce it here. However, since there seems to be demand and posts every other day, I'm doing it the other way around.
I'm working on a new site since yesterday and I'm open to any input. I am looking forward to read chain stories again on a regular basis.

Speak to you soon.

Friedman
 
Hi there,

then I'm probably, statistically speaking, the one person. I have read CHYOO and Literotica stories for quite a few years and really enjoy their quality.
My original plan was to set up a new site and then announce it here. However, since there seems to be demand and posts every other day, I'm doing it the other way around.
I'm working on a new site since yesterday and I'm open to any input. I am looking forward to read chain stories again on a regular basis.

Speak to you soon.

Friedman

Hi,

I'm probably the other one person! I've been reading chyoo for only a few months, and I'm disappointed that it's having issues so soon after I started reading. I've been making websites since I was 11, so hit me up if you want any assisstance! I'm glad that there are others who want to keep it going,

Emuvente
 
writing.com has 2 storylines 1 his for main and the other one is a newest one and just show i think is twenty.

do any one know when is it going back up.
 
Hi,

I'm probably the other one person! I've been reading chyoo for only a few months, and I'm disappointed that it's having issues so soon after I started reading. I've been making websites since I was 11, so hit me up if you want any assisstance! I'm glad that there are others who want to keep it going,

Emuvente

As I said while my knowledge of scripting is pretty low, I am good at design so I can help with the HTML and CSS templates.
 
As I said while my knowledge of scripting is pretty low, I am good at design so I can help with the HTML and CSS templates.

Ok, good to know. I'll send you my first design drafts, when I have them ready. Then you can comment on them and change if necessary.
 
The grace period has expired, CHYOO remains in view only, and I've received no contact. I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to announce CHYOO is on a hiatus of an undetermined length. Please seek alternatives for your interactive erotica.

Statistically speaking there has got to be at least one person on this forum who knows enough web programming to make a new version of CHYOO. I can do the HTML and CSS to get something that looks like CHYOO, but I don't know how to do the needed ********** and database (prob MySQL) to get something like CHYOO working, and I don't have the free time to learn by doing.

You know, I was going to make a big post about how it's more than just skill, how it also requires a charitable personality and a passion for the site, which would reduce those numbers. However, it's a moot point now.

Now, I'd like to ask you three (and anyone who wishes to join them) to please move any further discussions to another thread (EDIT this thread, please). This topic is more for the state of the actual CHYOO, and I'd rather not dilute it, even if CHYOO is on hiatus.
 
Last edited:
Chyoo seems be up and running. There are some problems with posting new threads like if there already one post to the thread you can add a thread but if there not any other thread attach to the preexisting thread you can't. It's not perfect but it seems to be that things might be starting to come back on again.
 
Last edited:
I submitted the story I wanted to submit before, but posted on Writing.com for safekeeping in the meantime. It appeared to go through to "submitted for approval" status alright without the non-sequitur "MySQL" error. Now the other puzzle is why functionality seems to have returned, yet I don't see an official announcement.
 
Thank the lord. lol.

Soooo happy its back I can see many threads being added in the next few days.



Just been on site and there seems to be a few things not working;


1) You are unable to click 'previous thread'. When you do nothing happens. (However you can click back on the browser. (Then you would need to refresh if the story allows a name))

1) Is now sort of working on some threads.

2) You are unable to click on a specific thread from the story map.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top