Tattoos - A hidden cost!

IMO, if it matters, I'm not a fan. I've seen too many dodgy ones in real life, and too many people regretting them. Very few have enhanced the person's beauty, although I acknowledge that can happen. Very few homage faces actually resemble the person, especially as the skin ages.

I particularly dislike the ones across the chest or cleavage of a woman. I once asked a guy I slept with why he'd had an arm sleeve done, looked like some kind of Maori design. He didn't know. And he wasn't Maori. I think a lot of sportsmen have it done as it's 'cool' to have ink, but they seldom really think it through.

I'll happily confess to being hypocritical though as I have piercings.

That doesn't tell you "successful people don't have tattoos". It just tells you that the sort of successful people who do have tattoos don't go on cruises much.

And LC's "dinosaurs" comment was directed at people who won't hire somebody with tattoos, so unless you polled these people on their hiring practices, it doesn't contradict him at all.

Nice.

Bollocks - Hair splitting won't win you an argument. In any event LC didn't offer a skerrick of evidence to support his assertion, whereas my point at least entailed a reasonable observation.

If we had to poll ayn subject group to advance a point of view there would be precious little comment on these boards.:)

Bollocks - Hair splitting won't win you an argument. In any event LC didn't offer a skerrick of evidence to support his assertion, whereas my point at least entailed a reasonable observation.

The problem wasn't with your observation, it was with over-interpreting it; you're assuming a large sample is a representative sample, which it usually ain't.

Try this on for size:

"Christians are religious people."

"No they aren't, I went into a synagogue yesterday, there were hundreds of religious people and not a single one of them wearing a crucifix!"

If we had to poll ayn subject group to advance a point of view there would be precious little comment on these boards.:)

So you're happy making assumptions about their hiring policies without actually asking them? Okay then.

IMO, if it matters, I'm not a fan. I've seen too many dodgy ones in real life, and too many people regretting them. Very few have enhanced the person's beauty, although I acknowledge that can happen. Very few homage faces actually resemble the person, especially as the skin ages.

I particularly dislike the ones across the chest or cleavage of a woman. I once asked a guy I slept with why he'd had an arm sleeve done, looked like some kind of Maori design. He didn't know. And he wasn't Maori. I think a lot of sportsmen have it done as it's 'cool' to have ink, but they seldom really think it through.

I'll happily confess to being hypocritical though as I have piercings.

You don't mention sensual or arousing (on an erotica board, yet). I have to believe that a lot of folks would see an artistic Maori-design arm sleeve as sexy and arousing. I certainly would use (and have used) that image in a story.

The sexist, homophobic and sexist generation speaks out.

Fortunately it was close to the last one. I think mine still holds onto a little of it, but no where near as much, especially towards the minorities and women, I believe our kids generation is much more tolerant in general so evolution.

Too bad the above dinosaurs held sway for as long as they did.

It explains why Pilot is so full of self loathing that he has to be bitter and hateful towards everyone else? He had to hide his fantasies from his "peers" lest they throw him out of the boys club.

Not that that relates to anything I posted. (I can see that the foaming at the mouth by the psychotic one has already started. :D)

Must admit that LC has replaced Scouries as the over-the-top entertainment column of the forum. Just push one of his little buttons and he rants away.

OK, LC's irrelevant rant aside, this is an erotica site. Does no one else here see a sensuality aspect to tattoos (and/or some of those getting them doing so with that thinking?) Really?

My wife has quite a lot of bodyart. It is all more than ten years old and though she doesn't regret anything, she has admitted that she wouldn't do again if she could travel back in time. But she had a very different lifestyle back then, and it was simply part of the fashion of the crowd she ran with.

Personally I don't care either way - it's neither a attractive nor repulsive to me. Luckily for her, she never had a dude's name tattooed anywhere though. If she had, I would have demand that she had it removed. That would have been a dealbreaker....

My wife has quite a lot of bodyart. It is all more than ten years old and though she doesn't regret anything, she has admitted that she wouldn't do again if she could travel back in time. But she had a very different lifestyle back then, and it was simply part of the fashion of the crowd she ran with.

Personally I don't care either way - it's neither a attractive nor repulsive to me. Luckily for her, she never had a dude's name tattooed anywhere though. If she had, I would have demand that she had it removed. That would have been a dealbreaker....

How about a woman's name?

Thought:
I understand that Henna does not cause a permanent mark.
Maybe this is a case for "Try before you Buy"?

The problem wasn't with your observation, it was with over-interpreting it; you're assuming a large sample is a representative sample, which it usually ain't.

Try this on for size:

"Christians are religious people."

"No they aren't, I went into a synagogue yesterday, there were hundreds of religious people and not a single one of them wearing a crucifix!"

So you're happy making assumptions about their hiring policies without actually asking them? Okay then.

1. Pull your head outa your ass and stop patronising other posters. You're not smart enough.:)

I come at this from a different angle, I think.

Law Firms, Accountancy firms, Consultancies, finance houses etc. would always run a mile from large, visible, tattoos because the suits that control them must control their corporate face to clients.

If I took an intern (male, female or gay) with two arms of sleeve art, I'd soon be queuing for food stamps.

I am just glad that the 'Tramp Stamp' seems to be dying. It was degrading women.

Those that have got the freedom to display body art without upsetting the customers are privileged. Even police officers have to hide tattoos at work.

LC, none of this is homophobic. Opinions on body art are beyond your rant.

OK, LC's irrelevant rant aside, this is an erotica site. Does no one else here see a sensuality aspect to tattoos (and/or some of those getting them doing so with that thinking?) Really?

Yes, I accept there is a sensuality aspect in fiction with tattoos, but not if you have to wake up each day next to a permanent painting by numbers creation.

Well... in that case I might have been open for negotiations... :D

Typical male response. :rolleyes:

That is one thing I've never understood nor found attractive about tattoos; someone's name. Why would someone feel compelled to endorse their body with someone else's name? You never know what could happen down the line. What if that person should die? Sure you'd want something to remember them by, but that could cause problems should you ever want to move on and try dating again (Like in StrangeLife's case).

Another point; a lot of people rather than get a person's name tattooed on their skin get something to symbolize that person. So say you were dating someone who had a tattoo and you asked why they got it and their response was that it reminds them of an ex. Would you demand they remove it in the same manner as if it were the person's name? I ask this in general, not specifically at StrangeLife.

So say you were dating someone who had a tattoo and you asked why they got it and their response was that it reminds them of an ex. Would you demand they remove it in the same manner as if it were the person's name? I ask this in general, not specifically at StrangeLife.

Well, I can say irrevocably "yes."

The only part of a previous relationship I am willing to accept are kids. If I were to find out that my wife was somehow holding on to something of emotional significance in relation to a former partner, I would demand that she got rid of it asap. In the case of a tattoo, that would mean removal or coverage.

But if it isn't the dude's name, she always has the option of not telling me of course....

Well, I can say irrevocably "yes."

The only part of a previous relationship I am willing to accept are kids. If I were to find out that my wife was somehow holding on to something of emotional significance in relation to a former partner, I would demand that she got rid of it asap. In the case of a tattoo, that would mean removal or coverage.

But if it isn't the dude's name, she always has the option of not telling me of course....

Would you say the same thing if the tattoo symbolized a spouse who had died unexpectedly? A person who was a major part of their life. For example, a husband who died in the line of duty?

Jealousy is an ugly unnecessary emotion trust me. I could maybe see if it were an ex that for whatever reason they split up, but if that person is no longer here, they are not longer a threat to your ongoing relationship.

I don't have an issue with tattoos per se, only the really crap ones. If you want to cover your body with goth dragons and motorbikes with fricking wings and skulls then :rolleyes: go for it... no seriously... they look great :rolleyes: not

Why the shite designs?

I don't have an issue with tattoos per se, only the really crap ones. If you want to cover your body with goth dragons and motorbikes with fricking wings and skulls then :rolleyes: go for it... no seriously... they look great :rolleyes: not

Why the shite designs?

There have been several instances where a co-worker would have a cliché tattoo such as those and I always ask them, "What made you get that?"

The answer is almost always, "Cuz it looks cool." I'm thinking to myself it looks like shit, but I don't say anything.

There was one guy however who had a flaming skull on his forearm. He said he got it because his father had been killed in Vietnam when he was just a baby. One of the only pictures he had of him showed that his father had the exact same tattoo. That at least had some meaning behind it which actually made me like it. :)

Would you say the same thing if the tattoo symbolized a spouse who had died unexpectedly? A person who was a major part of their life. For example, a husband who died in the line of duty?

Jealousy is an ugly unnecessary emotion trust me. I could maybe see if it were an ex that for whatever reason they split up, but if that person is no longer here, they are not longer a threat to your ongoing relationship.

Autch, now you are pushing the borders Roz. There is a grey area of course. I probably wouldn't take a beltsander to her ass if I discovered a small flag made in memory of an ex who fell in the line of duty or something like that.

I can say though, that I would never attach myself to somebody who wasn't completely free of previous relationships. I don't want a picture of the ex in my livingroom, I don't want him in our lives (unless there is a kid-situation that requires it or he happens to be my friend too), I don't want a mural for him on my wife and I don't want his ghost hanging around either, if he happens to be deceased.

It has nothing to do with jealousy - I am not a jealous person. But if I am to invest myself 100% in a relationship, I wan't 100% back. Not a time-share wife. If she is still hung up on a lost love who died on her way back when, it means that she isn't ready for the next serious relationship yet.

Why the shite designs?

Don't know as I agree on the goth dragon, depending on where its tail was leading.

It appears the dinosaurs are upset because the world and society has evolved and they have not.

Guess I can't blame them for being so miserable. It must suck for them to know they're facing extinction.

Good riddance to them and their prejudices.

Autch, now you are pushing the borders Roz. There is a grey area of course. I probably wouldn't take a beltsander to her ass if I discovered a small flag made in memory of an ex who fell in the line of duty or something like that.

I can say though, that I would never attach myself to somebody who wasn't completely free of previous relationships. I don't want a picture of the ex in my livingroom, I don't want him in our lives (unless there is a kid-situation that requires it or he happens to be my friend too), I don't want a mural for him on my wife and I don't want his ghost hanging around either, if he happens to be deceased.

It has nothing to do with jealousy - I am not a jealous person. But if I am to invest myself 100% in a relationship, I wan't 100% back. Not a time-share wife. If she is still hung up on a lost love who died on her way back when, it means that she isn't ready for the next serious relationship yet.

Pushing borders is something I'm good at. It makes people think. :D

You make a good point. If they are still emotionally attached with someone, dead or alive, it probably isn't the best time to move on. Once the time is right, and if they had such a tattoo, it would ultimately be a topic of discussion as to if you could deal with it or if that person could remove/cover it up.

Thanks for indulging my prodding :)

1. Pull your head outa your ass and stop patronising other posters.

I generally calibrate my level of politeness according to how the other person is behaving. When you argued with what LC was saying, I figured your skin was thick enough to cope with people arguing against your points. Apparently I was mistaken.

You're not smart enough.:)

Well, I'm certainly not as smart as the guy who can tell what a whole boatload of people are thinking without even asking them. Guess I'll have to defer to you on this one.

(And that is me being patronising. See the difference?)

It appears the dinosaurs are upset because the world and society has evolved and they have not.

Guess I can't blame them for being so miserable. It must suck for them to know they're facing extinction.

Good riddance to them and their prejudices.

The hate-consumed psycho, still flailing away on a whole litany of hates.

Bitch, bitch, bitch. :D

Back