Repeated favoriting and unfavoriting of stories

You should just email the person (through their account feedback) and tell them to stop doing it. :)

You should just email the person (through their account feedback) and tell them to stop doing it. :)

I wouldn't advise that. There are a lot worse things a ticked-off reader can do to your stories than just unfavorite them.

Well, yes, yesterday someone unfavorited a seven-chapter story--each chapter. They apparently had favorited each chapter some time in the past. It raised the question of "If you did this to mark it to read in the future, why not just the first chapter?" followed by the thought "Do you not realize that you don't have a finite number of story favorites--that you don't have to weed them out periodically?" And then I just shrugged and moved on. I don't expect the Web site to do anything about this.

I don't think people know how many they can fav. Even when there was a limit was it actually posted anywhere?

People do what they do, it doesn't bother me. Even when they un fav me as an author. It could mean they tried my stuff and did not like it or maybe they read everything and don't keep a ton of people faved. Who knows?

Its no big deal every time someone kicks something off I have new people adding things.

I do get a lot of un-favs depending on what story caused them to book mark me. When someone comments on one of my romance stories and says "I faved you, can't wait to read the rest of your stories" I know that won;t last, as soon as they hit an incest story or Breaking of Allison that love affair ends and quickly.

That's why some use different pen names, but I just toss everything under one, people will read what they want, ignore what they don't like

They might get pissed and bomb out of spite....

But most likely? They will never get the message, many lit members- who are not authors and looking for feedback-use toss away e-mail addresses for lit and never see the e-mail you send.

on my story. :(
No reaction from Laurel.
Anyone else?

We've discussed this with readers and watched users, and feel that this activity is not trolling. People are using the Favorites list as a "to read" list. They Favorite stories to keep track of ones they wish to read. Once they read them, they are removed from the list.

The upgrade to the logged in user panel will provide a "Reading" list to which readers may file their stories, along with the current "Favorites" list, and also the ability for users to make separate custom public or private lists.

People here were talking about "pookaciousone" doing a lot of fav/unfaving

For the hell of it I'll toss this one out there.

Anyone get a reader named 'umbercide' doing the same thing? He;s the only other one that stands out to me.

People here were talking about "pookaciousone" doing a lot of fav/unfaving

For the hell of it I'll toss this one out there.

Anyone get a reader named 'umbercide' doing the same thing? He;s the only other one that stands out to me.

I've got both of them doing it "as we speak" ( on my 24 hour list )

Umbrecide does seem to maintain author favorites, though. This looks more like specific bookmarking of stories than pookalicious, who always seems to have an empty list.

Last edited:
@Laurel - I understand your point and completely agree. That is how I use them and almost all other members. Sometime I keep the favorite after reading, and sometimes not. And it can be anywhere from a day to a year before I read it.

I started the thread asking about someone who favorites and unfavorites the same story every day for weeks. And really what I wanted to know is whether or not there is some sort of impact to the story. For example, the two stories he concentrated on no longer appear on the top 100 lesbian list even though from a score perspective they should, it seems to me. One has a score of 4.81 with 431 votes and the other 4.80 with 244. Both used to be there, but aren't anymore. I don't know the algorithm that drives the list and was curious if the campaign of repeated favoriting and unfavoriting might impact it.

I am only of of many who reported the same person doing this. Favoriting the same story, unfavoriting it, all within a few hours, and doing it for days on end. If I had to guess, it would be 30-40 times. Now that's not bookmarking. Maybe it's just a message to us that he hates specific stories or specific authors (which is okay, it is his right to hate us).

I'm back to my original question. Is there an impact from this behavior?

PS. I would be interested in an explanation of how the top 100 algorithm works too :)
PPS: I used a male pronoun for convenience only! :). Who knows his/her/its gender.

And really what I wanted to know is whether or not there is some sort of impact to the story. For example, the two stories he concentrated on no longer appear on the top 100 lesbian list even though from a score perspective they should, it seems to me. One has a score of 4.81 with 431 votes and the other 4.80 with 244. Both used to be there, but aren't anymore. I don't know the algorithm that drives the list and was curious if the campaign of repeated favoriting and unfavoriting might impact it.

That's an unrelated glitch. The top-N lists are ranked by average score, apparently with vote count as a tie-breaker, and restricted to stories that have at least a certain number of votes (for Lesbian this is 100).

However, the top-50 page for Lesbian hasn't updated in a long time, so stories between around 4.79 and 4.83 may not show up there where they should. (All the other pages for that category seem to be updating OK, including the top-25 - so the #1 story showing there is different from the one on the top-50.)

On this subject, I just now had 36 stories unfavorited at one go by the same reader. (Anyone else able to beat this massacre number?) I saw it coming, though, as they were all favorited in one swoop just yesterday. Don't think it was malicious, though, as the reader as favorited other stories of mine over a long period of time that didn't get the ax (at least yet).

On this subject, I just now had 36 stories unfavorited at one go by the same reader. (Anyone else able to beat this massacre number?) I saw it coming, though, as they were all favorited in one swoop just yesterday. Don't think it was malicious, though, as the reader as favorited other stories of mine over a long period of time that didn't get the ax (at least yet).

All 51 installments of the SWB series-back two years ago when it was all still here.

My first thought wasn't that they were going to un-favorite it, but the time involved.

Think about that. Clicking on a story, going to the last page, faving it. 51 times.

Why not just fav me as an author? Hell of a lot quicker.

The person did un fav them, one at a time as they read them over the period of a month or so.

I'm not sure why a couple of people are making a big deal of this, one way or another they're reading the story, isn't that what matters?

That's an unrelated glitch. The top-N lists are ranked by average score, apparently with vote count as a tie-breaker, and restricted to stories that have at least a certain number of votes (for Lesbian this is 100).

However, the top-50 page for Lesbian hasn't updated in a long time, so stories between around 4.79 and 4.83 may not show up there where they should. (All the other pages for that category seem to be updating OK, including the top-25 - so the #1 story showing there is different from the one on the top-50.)

Still beats incest.

If you click on the incest hub the top 25 all time incest stories seems current-there are some from 2014 in it-but when you click the list for "more incest hall of fame" it defaults back to a list that at this point is over two years old.

One of mine is somewhere in the top 50 with a little over 2k votes. That story now has over 4k:rolleyes:

My assumption is the small glimpse given in the hub works because they recently did some work on those. The main list must be 'old code' or whatever.

My point of course is this has been mentioned innumerable times and on more than one occasion we've had laurel post "looking into it':rolleyes:

I mean why would anyone want the top list for the largest viewed category on the site to actually function?

certainly not the same handful of authors who have been locked into the top spots all this time.

Meanwhile an author named Beachbum should have 5 of the top ten spots-and does on the short list-but is nowhere in site on the main one because his stories are from this year.

The Incest top list is hilarious. Whaaaa?? I was the only female on the front page for a while (very proud of that), until you kicked me off. Then I went back into the black hole and nowhere to be seen.

Still beats incest.

If you click on the incest hub the top 25 all time incest stories seems current-there are some from 2014 in it-but when you click the list for "more incest hall of fame" it defaults back to a list that at this point is over two years old.

One of mine is somewhere in the top 50 with a little over 2k votes. That story now has over 4k:rolleyes:

My assumption is the small glimpse given in the hub works because they recently did some work on those. The main list must be 'old code' or whatever.

My point of course is this has been mentioned innumerable times and on more than one occasion we've had laurel post "looking into it':rolleyes:

I mean why would anyone want the top list for the largest viewed category on the site to actually function?

certainly not the same handful of authors who have been locked into the top spots all this time.

Meanwhile an author named Beachbum should have 5 of the top ten spots-and does on the short list-but is nowhere in site on the main one because his stories are from this year.

The All-Time/HOF list for GM seems to function okay too, and the stories I currently have at #37 and #137 rarely display different total vote numbers than what's on my author control panel...and even if they do, it's only for a few hours at the worst.

But the ongoing (since early this year anyway) strange one, is different vote totals for the same stories on the 30 day and 12 month portions of the same top lists. Usually it's 3 or 4 or 5 easily noticed votes extra. And they stay that way, so it's not "questionable" votes awaiting a regular sweep, but rather 3-4-5 that have been swept from only the All Time list, and/or on the author control panel numbers. I don't care since I am just happy to have a decent presence in the three sections of the HOF at all...but it does make you go: "Huh?:confused:?"

That's just update lag. All of the public numbers are behind, and I wouldn't be surprised to discover that the toplist numbers simply don't update sometimes, considering how many of them are completely wonky.

The All-Time/HOF list for GM seems to function okay too, and the stories I currently have at #37 and #137 rarely display different total vote numbers than what's on my author control panel...and even if they do, it's only for a few hours at the worst.

But the ongoing (since early this year anyway) strange one, is different vote totals for the same stories on the 30 day and 12 month portions of the same top lists. Usually it's 3 or 4 or 5 easily noticed votes extra. And they stay that way, so it's not "questionable" votes awaiting a regular sweep, but rather 3-4-5 that have been swept from only the All Time list, and/or on the author control panel numbers. I don't care since I am just happy to have a decent presence in the three sections of the HOF at all...but it does make you go: "Huh?:confused:?"

On a tangent note...

"I'll take Favorites for $80, Alex."

I have a question about using favorites that relates to this thread but isn't answered by it. Rather than start a new thread, I'm tacking this on.

How do readers normally use favorites to follow a particular author or story series. Are they alerted when a new chapter or story is posted or do they have to visit the author's submission page regularly until they see a yellow-N?

If it's the latter, readers with hundreds of favorites can never hope to keep up with all their favorites. I bet adding an option to this site to flag an author with alert-me-about-anything-this-author-submits would be more useful than favorites.

Someone who uses favorites, please buzz in.

I don't think any systems notification is involved. It just gives them a memory jog on who and what they've enjoyed reading.

I don't think any systems notification is involved. It just gives them a memory jog on who and what they've enjoyed reading.

That's our understanding, too.

BTW, did you just express only an opinion and not an accredited fact? Horrors! *snark*

That function was mentioned by Laurel as coming in some form in a future system update, but no timetable has been provided.

Lots of updates have been mentioned as coming "soon." I hope you aren't holding your breath for "soon" to arrive.

That function was mentioned by Laurel as coming in some form in a future system update, but no timetable has been provided.

Yes, let's tackle a difficult task like sending readers e-mail notifications when a new story comes out, but something like fixing a top list or the contact us feature? Why waste time on that.

We've discussed this with readers and watched users, and feel that this activity is not trolling. People are using the Favorites list as a "to read" list. They Favorite stories to keep track of ones they wish to read. Once they read them, they are removed from the list.

The upgrade to the logged in user panel will provide a "Reading" list to which readers may file their stories, along with the current "Favorites" list, and also the ability for users to make separate custom public or private lists.

Well to me this is harassment, and it's one of the factors making me visit LitE less and less.

On November 18, 2014 PookaciousOne un-favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On November 18, 2014 PookaciousOne favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On November 18, 2014 PookaciousOne un-favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On November 18, 2014 PookaciousOne favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On November 14, 2014 PookaciousOne un-favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On November 14, 2014 PookaciousOne favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On November 14, 2014 PookaciousOne un-favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On November 14, 2014 PookaciousOne favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On November 13, 2014 PookaciousOne un-favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On November 12, 2014 PookaciousOne favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On November 07, 2014 PookaciousOne un-favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On November 05, 2014 PookaciousOne favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On November 01, 2014 PookaciousOne un-favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On October 31, 2014 PookaciousOne favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On October 20, 2014 PookaciousOne un-favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On October 17, 2014 PookaciousOne favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On October 16, 2014 PookaciousOne un-favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On October 15, 2014 PookaciousOne favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On October 13, 2014 PookaciousOne un-favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On October 12, 2014 PookaciousOne favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On October 10, 2014 PookaciousOne un-favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On October 10, 2014 PookaciousOne favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On October 09, 2014 PookaciousOne un-favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On October 09, 2014 PookaciousOne favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On October 08, 2014 PookaciousOne un-favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On October 07, 2014 PookaciousOne favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On October 06, 2014 PookaciousOne un-favorited your story Norse Myth Models.
On October 05, 2014 PookaciousOne favorited your story Norse Myth Models.

Wonder if there might be some sort of hiccupping in the system that causes some of this.

Back